HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shea Weber's potential

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2005, 01:27 PM
RaTcine

vCash: 500
Shea Weber's potential

I want to learn more about this guy.

What do you think is his potential? What role will he play for the Preds, and when will he jump to the NHL (if NHL resumes)?

Old
04-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

He'll be a great 2nd pairing DMAN in my book and give him 2 years in the AHL once he signs with the Predators and after those two years we'll probably see him in Nashville ... Defensive-Defensemen that hit hard and plays positionally well aka smart in their own end ... and oh yea, he absolutely dominated the WJC (his +/- rating was the best amongst defensemen during the WJC (with a +10) ... I can't wait until he's a Predator

Old
04-06-2005, 02:10 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

RaT...think of an Adam Foote\Robyn Regehr type of d-man. Vicious, aggressive hitter...decent offensive skills(that probalby won't translate as much to the NHL). Should be a beast.

Old
04-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Pattypred

Joe - I believe he has already signed with Nashville. I believe he signed last summer.

As to his upside .......

Just picture this on our blue line (Hamhuis - Suter - Weber - Klein - Timonen - Hnidy - Zidlicky)

Wow!

Old
04-06-2005, 02:21 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred
Joe - I believe he has already signed with Nashville. I believe he signed last summer.

As to his upside .......

Just picture this on our blue line (Hamhuis - Suter - Weber - Klein - Timonen - Hnidy - Zidlicky)

Wow!

Right you are, Ken. He signed the same day Kevin Klein did..and Richard Stehlik didn't.

As for our future blue line...I'd be a little surprised to see Timonen and Hnidy there that far into the future...maybe even Zidlicky..but time will tell.

Old
04-06-2005, 02:27 PM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Right you are, Ken. He signed the same day Kevin Klein did..and Richard Stehlik didn't.

As for our future blue line...I'd be a little surprised to see Timonen and Hnidy there that far into the future...maybe even Zidlicky..but time will tell.
Ken?

Did I miss Patty changing her name?

Old
04-06-2005, 02:31 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29
Ken?

Did I miss Patty changing her name?
I was...

nevermind

Old
04-06-2005, 04:58 PM
KRF

2001-2002 WHL Season Kelowna Rockets 5 0 0 0 -1 0
2002-03 WHL Season Kelowna Rockets 70 2 16 18 25 167
2003-2004 WHL Season Kelowna Rockets 60 12 20 32 23 126
2004-05 WHL Season Kelowna Rockets 55 12 29 41 12 95

Playoff Stats
Season Team GP G A PTS +/- PIM
2003 WHL Playoffs Kelowna Rockets 19 1 4 5 4 26
2004 WHL Playoffs Kelowna Rockets 17 3 14 17 10 16
2005 WHL Playoffs Kelowna Rockets 0 0 0 0 0 0

in a fight this year against the toughest guy in the league kassian from the kamloops blazers weber lost by not by much. if he fought on a regular basis he would be one of the toughest. devistating checker with a level head. very rarely takes stupid penaltys, will be a good nhl star someday.

Old
04-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I like the Foote and Regher comparisons because I expect his offense to develop very slowly eventually peaking in the mid 30s. He is a tough player, and since he is under contract, we expect him to be on the big club in a few years.

As for Stehlick, I still do not think we are through with the guy. He probably wanted more money than a 3rd rounder usually gets (he was rated as a potential 1st round draft pick pre-draft......) and wanted to improve his contract situation. We will see, but I simply cannot see a guy with his size being left out to dry. I mean, we started Robert Schnabel last year for quite awhile......

04-07-2005, 10:27 AM
KRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I expect his offense to develop very slowly eventually peaking in the mid 30s.
04/05 season weber got .75 ppg and 04 playoff 1.00 ppg, in a defensive system his numbers are not bad. he has a great slap shot on the power play and a sneeky wrist shot from the point that get through to the net with a crowd in front.

Old
04-07-2005, 10:42 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRF
04/05 season weber got .75 ppg and 04 playoff 1.00 ppg, in a defensive system his numbers are not bad. he has a great slap shot on the power play and a sneeky wrist shot from the point that get through to the net with a crowd in front.
He won't score a lot of points for Nashville, IMO. I just don't think it will be his role. We have many offensive minded defensemen. We need Shea for his defense and his role will likely be that of a shutdown defenseman. And his numbers will suffer. I think he'll see similar downward pressure on stats found by guys like Skrastins and Eaton when they took on defense only roles. Both those guys showed offensive upside when not playing in the shutdown role. Eaton was one of the better offensive Dmen in the AHL during his rookie year (36 points in 74 games). Skrastins put up even better numbers in his AHL rookie year (44 points in 75 games). Eaton even went on to put 11 points in his first 34 NHL games, showing he had signs of offense. But since both players were put in to defense only roles (no PP time, ES time v. top lines, SH Time), there numbers are very low. Eaton had 13 points all of last season. Skrastins had 12, 17, and 13 points in his last three seasons with the Preds (he played 82 games in all 3 seasons). Neither saw any noticeable PP time and spent their ES time against the likes of Forsberg, Naslund, and Modano. I think Weber will put up better numbers than both partly because he can be better and because his surroundings will be better. But I just don't see him putting up big points. Big points for Dmen almost always come on the PP. And I just don't see him pulling PP time away from guys like Hammer, Zids, Suter, Timonen whoever is there when Weber rises the ranks.

Old
04-07-2005, 12:31 PM
C-J Carlson

But, whenever the offensive defensivemen on the team get shut down by the other team, Shea Weber, like Mark Eaton, is the kind of player who can step up and take their place in a game. Sometimes, in certain situations, roles have to be switched in order to win a game.

Old
04-07-2005, 02:26 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Personified
But, whenever the offensive defensivemen on the team get shut down by the other team, Shea Weber, like Mark Eaton, is the kind of player who can step up and take their place in a game. Sometimes, in certain situations, roles have to be switched in order to win a game.
No doubt, but that 'sometimes' doesn't occur enough to give them big points. I never said he wouldn't score. Just that it wouldn't likely happen often.

Old
04-07-2005, 02:51 PM
KRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
He won't score a lot of points for Nashville, IMO. I just don't think it will be his role. We have many offensive minded defensemen.
i see your point and your right. during the world juniors playing with dion paneuf weber only rushed the net once (that i can remember) in the offensive zone. coach sutter had weber stay back and gave paneuf the green light when he seen a opening.

Old
04-07-2005, 03:47 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRF
i see your point and your right. during the world juniors playing with dion paneuf weber only rushed the net once (that i can remember) in the offensive zone. coach sutter had weber stay back and gave paneuf the green light when he seen a opening.
Yeah, it leads to a disparity in points for the rushing Dman and the stay at homer. But it allows Phaneuf to pinch up because Weber is rock solid back there. He may not get the credit he'll deserve by being a stay at homer, but he'll be invaluable if he can play that role for the Preds.

Old
04-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Upchuck19

I have watched the Shea Weber the last two years under Marc Habcheid's coaching where the defense stayed back and didn't rush very much. Then watching Weber this year under Jeff Truitt's coaching giving the defense more freedom to join into the play. I like the Shea Weber of this year being more offensive, but never the less it will be what Barry Trotts wants in the end.

Old
04-08-2005, 10:59 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I think he'll see similar downward pressure on stats found by guys like Skrastins and Eaton when they took on defense only roles.
Who could ask for more in a stay-at-homer than an upgraded Karlis Skrastins?

Old
04-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Joe T Choker
Las Vegas Black Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsytrid1
Who could ask for more in a stay-at-homer than an upgraded Karlis Skrastins?
or a meaner, nastier Mark Eaton?

Closed Thread