HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Bruins Round II - FIGHT

Old
03-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Great D game today despite Boston's constant pressure.

Big plus that we're top in the East.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Candyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
+ Pascal Dupuis - best player on the team. Literally dragging Sid and Kunie along with his flubbed passes and insane offensive decisions.

+ Tomas Vokoun - I hated the last 20 minutes, he seemed to get rattled mentally in the 3rd when the traffic and intensity got real.

ALSO: TV used to be a good player of the puck. Now he makes the same stupid decisions that Fleury does. I'm sorry, but the common denominator is the goalie coach.

+ Paul Martin - I never trashed you last year. You're the best. Around. Nothing's gonna ever keep you down.

+ Kunitz - continue to love his 200ft game.

+ The Penguins forecheck - when they turn it on, even the best teams out there struggle with it.

+/- Dzone coverage and the PK - obviously some adjustments were made, but far too many lapses in the process of executing those adjustments.

- Face-offs - this was a strength, now a weakness. Gotta get it righted. Maybe even bring in a face-off guy at the TDL.

- Officials - really uneven, in my mind. I don't think there were only 3 calls in this entire game, both ways.

+ This team is turning a corner mentally. I don't know why or when or how. All the credit in the world to Ray Shero for being patient and Dan Bylsma and Sidney Crosby for righting the ship.

+ You guys. You're so awesome. Even the ones who think Sidney Crosby is a 1st-liner, as he kills play-after-play on Dupuis' line.
Haha I love this post, I can't tell where the sarcasm ends and the seriousness begins!

+ 1st line- Buzzing all game!
+ Vokoun- Lucky bounce with that wrap around, but still played a solid game.
+ Sutter- No points but he had a great game!
+ Martin- 30 minutes of ice time in a back to back game and looked great!

- 2nd line, seriously didn't even notice Neal out there one time.
- Referees. Enough said
- Injuries- on both sides I just hate seeing it for any player

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:13 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I agree with IC that our defensive zone was both +/-. We had some let downs. But Martin was a freak of nature.
Cole, what adjustments have they made systemically? Tactics are your turf, but, from my layman's perspective, it seems a lot more simplified.

Doesn't mean it was breakdown free, but it seems that there's a lot less chasing, a little more man, keeping play to the perimeter like the old days.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Dylonus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvD46aV3Y44

video of Letang's injury, for those wanting to see it.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:16 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Oh an Big - to Bylsma for insisting that neither the 2nd ling wingers nor Sutter has any realistic chance of scoring, by keeping Bennett - Sutter - Neal apart. There is no excuse for this. Neal is nothing more than an expensive forechecker playing with Jeffrey. He gets zero opportunities with DJ because DJ can't create any against good defensive teams. Shades of 2011 again. His shot totals have dropped by a factor of 3 or 4.
I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, you're right (with the minor caution that Neal isn't much of a forechecker).

On the other hand, given where the complaints were about coaching 3-4 weeks ago-- LEGITIMATE COMPLAINTS-- you can't deny that there hasn't been some growth, at long last, as far as Bylsma goes. Not as much as we'd really, really like, but solid growth nonetheless.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Based on that I think NBC is wrong. I don't think it has anything to do with Marchand's stick work or else Letang would've immediately done what all players do when they get wacked on the hand or wrist... throw their glove down and hold their hand. Too me the hunching over suggests something else. We'll see.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:17 PM
vodeni

good game, but don't let get it over your head, this could tilt different way, bt all in all good effort,
I still feel Voukun is more lucky than good, bit I'll take it, too many rebounds, just didn't go their way
If there was ever time that one player elevates game of the others its now with Sid and his line, just strong out there, and dangerous
-not much offense from 2nd and 3rd line, although Sutter keeps surprising me with some great offensive plays
-Letang injury, just cannot afford it now (I have to mention how that commentator on NHL network said that his presence will be missed "especially on pp as a quaterback of their pp" Sometimes you wonder do these people even watch games, and they get paid for that kind of analysis?
-need Gino to start getting 2nd and 3rd line in groove prior to Play-offs

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:18 PM
66-30-33

I almost had a heart attack, this game definatly got to me emotionally. Let's beat Caps to make it 10 game winning streak!

66-30-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Based on that I think NBC is wrong. I don't think it has anything to do with Marchand's stick work or else Letang would've immediately done what all players do when they get wacked on the hand or wrist... throw their glove down and hold their hand. Too me the hunching over suggests something else. We'll see.
well the stick hit his leg, and its a lower body injury

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:19 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

woah, does Letang have an Achilles injury?

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:19 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Our next two games are against the Capitals and Islanders and I don't see why we can't win those both.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Sideline

vCash: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post

On the one hand, you're right (with the minor caution that Neal isn't much of a forechecker).

On the other hand, given where the complaints were about coaching 3-4 weeks ago-- LEGITIMATE COMPLAINTS-- you can't deny that there hasn't been some growth, at long last, as far as Bylsma goes. Not as much as we'd really, really like, but solid growth nonetheless.
I tend to agree with you, KIRK. I've see some 2-3 forecheck, good puck support, and more aggression on the PK in the last 5 or 6 games. The d-zone can still look like a hot mess from time to time because of our silly "puck fronting at all costs" scheme. But it's definitely a major improvement.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

+ Not even Pierre's slobbering commentary could undo my game long Beau-ner.

- Tanner Glass is such a ******* waste of space that he makes me forget what a ******* waste of space Craig Adams is.

Old
vodeni

Quote:
Oh an Big - to Bylsma for insisting that neither the 2nd ling wingers nor Sutter has any realistic chance of scoring, by keeping Bennett - Sutter - Neal apart. There is no excuse for this. Neal is nothing more than an expensive forechecker playing with Jeffrey. He gets zero opportunities with DJ because DJ can't create any against good defensive teams. Shades of 2011 again. His shot totals have dropped by a factor of 3 or 4.
I said it before: that's the problem with Bylsma, DJ had an OK game against awful Rangers and he went straight back with him anchoring 19 and 18.

That doesn't make sense

vodeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvD46aV3Y44

video of Letang's injury, for those wanting to see it.
I don't see slashing. It's more like a groin or something.

sniugneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:21 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
woah, does Letang have an Achilles injury?
I was thinking that or a groin pull.

Didn't seem like he got really twisted for the groin pull, but I'm not sure he wouldn't have gone right down if it were an Achilles.

Old
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
+ Not even Pierre's slobbering commentary could undo my game long Beau-ner.
Shouldn't that help it, not hinder it??

(I'm married, maybe it works differently now)

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

+ Paul Martin was an absolute stud today and handled Lucic well more than a few times.

+ In motion play. The Bruins could never really get a fix on where or how to handle the Pens. On the ice is one thing but for as much crap we've tossed at Disco this year this is the pace he preaches and it looks great now.

+ Sid... is there anything else to really say about him.

+ BBennett.. great instincts for a kid so young.

+ The defense around the cage. Great playing in the middle of the ice lets the goalies get square to the puck and focus instead of wondering whats going on behind them.

- Neal... Jiggs caught this about a month ago and he's right. I don't really care so much about Neal hitting but he's not even getting quality chances anymore. I know he's a triggerman for a set up guy but he has to play better than that.

- Letang injury... they're calling it lower body. I was hoping he could refine his game for the playoffs but maybe a short rest will be a blessing.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:

By forechecker I simply mean someone who when he goes into the zone is more focused on getting the puck in deep or keeping it in the zone rather than finding places to get open for a shot. He's a role player as long as Jeffrey is his C, simple as that. Bennett is much less dangerous as well in the sense that he can create his own offense, but D know he's the only one on that line who can. Put Sutter in there and Jeffrey in his natural spot (3C) and the problems go away.

The only thing I can think of is they don't trust Jeffrey to play a physical enough game at 3C or something, but it's not like Sutter is out there banging bodies either.

Old
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

+ Much like other televangelists, The Joe spreads the good news on TV early on Sunday.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ugene Malkin
Drank from the Cup

Quote:
It's his left leg. I can't tell what happen to it though.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Letang and Achilles: I don't think there's any chance of that at all. He'd have been lifting his skate off the ice right away, not hunching over at the waist.

Old
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

At this rate we'll finish the season on 70 points I believe.

I also didn't realise how far ahead the three of Montreal, Pittsburgh and Boston were from the rest of the east.

Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
I tend to agree with you, KIRK. I've see some 2-3 forecheck, good puck support, and more aggression on the PK in the last 5 or 6 games. The d-zone can still look like a hot mess from time to time because of our silly "puck fronting at all costs" scheme. But it's definitely a major improvement.
I don't disagree about the d-zone, but the puck fronting no longer seems to be combined with that convoluted zone coverage scheme that the Pens had been running. Seems like a lot less chasing than that, more keeping play to the perimeter and making sure the net is protected.

Old
arnold slick

+ Paul Martin best player on the ice
+ Vokoun, love his glove hand
+ Team defense
+ End of a perfect week against some tough competition

-Letang hurt

arnold slick is offline   Reply With Quote