HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread - Razor Ramon Edition (MOD WARNING POST #922)

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godless Servant View Post
I hope not
I hope so myself, and Ballard to, get rid of the two elephants in the room

Old
03-30-2013, 08:42 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I can't speak for all Leafs fans, but the sane ones would all agree that Luongo is a better goalie than what we have.

The negatives start with the contract....some of us can even deal with that.

The cost to aquire is where we all jump ship. If our goalies were failing...we may have been willing to deal things like our 1st amongst other things, but they are not failing.

The main issue(s) for us is that you are selling Luongo on skill alone and want us to overlook the fact that his deal has 10 years on it with penalties attached. He isn't exactly young anymore. You refuse to take cap back when dealing such an albatross of a contract. And the most important....the price tag.
The penalties aren't relevant. They don't even apply to whoever trades for him.

As for the contract itself, it's really more like a 6 or 7 year deal, depending on when you see him retiring. Goalies don't decline in nearly the same manner as skaters do with age. It's why Gillis was willing to sign him to that contract length in the first place, even if the final few years are basically meaningless.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:45 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
The penalties aren't relevant. They don't even apply to whoever trades for him.
They actually do. Any team that acquires him and keeps him through the higher earning years (until 2018) will accrue about $7M in cap penalties with the Canucks getting the other $7M that have already been built up.

Old
03-30-2013, 08:49 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
They actually do. Any team that acquires him and keeps him through the higher earning years (until 2018) will accrue about $7M in cap penalties with the Canucks getting the other $7M that have already been built up.
Wait, is this new? I don't recall this being part of 'the Luongo rule' when it came out... if so that hurts.

Holy **** pettiness galore.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Wait, is this new?
It was brought in with the new CBA.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:03 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Wait, is this new? I don't recall this being part of 'the Luongo rule' when it came out... if so that hurts.

Holy **** pettiness galore.
It was revealed to be that way when the MOU was agreed upon. Here's the language regarding a trade:

Quote:
If the contract in question is ever traded or assigned to one or more other Clubs in the League, each Club will be subject to being charged with any and all “Cap Advantage” amounts it receives while being obligated pursuant the contract.
So his new team will get hit with a $1.38M penalty for every year he's there up to 2018.

It probably hurts his value, but it does mean less of a penalty for the Canucks down the road.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:06 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

^ I see, thanks. I'm not so much concerned about the cap penalties as actually getting a good return for him. Still, this stings though.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:14 PM
SunshineRays

Friedman: Canucks would like to trade Lu, but doesn't think they'll make a trade until they get a centre they want.

Also, Friedman says Canucks looking at Torres. Lol. Gillis should have signed him after the Cup finals.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:17 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post
Friedman: Canucks would like to trade Lu, but doesn't think they'll make a trade until they get a centre they want.

Also, Friedman says Canucks looking at Torres. Lol. Gillis should have signed him after the Cup finals.
loooool, if they're looking at torres. He's only needed on this team when he's a wrecking ball. Since his last suspension, he has apparently tried to clean up his game. I just don't think he'll be as effective, especially since refs will be all over him for anything borderline. I liked Torres on this team though.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Dado

vCash:
Kadri with another hat trick and Leafs rolling towards the playoffs w/o Luongo in net.

I'm depressed.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:22 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Kadri with another hat trick and Leafs rolling towards the playoffs w/o Luongo in net.

I'm depressed.
At least it's not going to overtime to cut into our game.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:26 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
loooool, if they're looking at torres. He's only needed on this team when he's a wrecking ball. Since his last suspension, he has apparently tried to clean up his game. I just don't think he'll be as effective, especially since refs will be all over him for anything borderline. I liked Torres on this team though.
Ya, I loved Torres to - very effective player. But Gillis should have signed him when he was a UFA. If he gives up assets/picks to get Torres, I'd be mad. And as you said, the officials have their eyes glued to Torres. And the Canucks already have enough issues with some officials, adding Torres won't help their cause.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:33 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Ya, I loved Torres to - very effective player. But Gillis should have signed him when he was a UFA. If he gives up assets/picks to get Torres, I'd be mad. And as you said, the officials have their eyes glued to Torres. And the Canucks already have enough issues with some officials, adding Torres won't help their cause.
Didnt Torres **** Higgins over or something? I heard there was a rumour that Higgins refused to re-sign in Vancouver if Torres was kept.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:33 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Don't know if this has been brought up, but doesn't look like Gardiner is playing. Healthy scratch? Leafs don't play until next Thursday. Queue the Gardiner to Canuck rumours.

Old
03-30-2013, 09:42 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
Didnt Torres **** Higgins over or something? I heard there was a rumour that Higgins refused to re-sign in Vancouver if Torres was kept.
OMG really? What the heck happened? The beat writers were saying at the time that Torres wanted a 2 yr extension, Gillis would only give him one. Seemed odd at the time cause Gillis extended Lappy and Higgy for 2 yrs. But I can't imagine Gillis would be looking at Torres if someone on the team had a problem with him?

Old
03-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
Don't know if this has been brought up, but doesn't look like Gardiner is playing. Healthy scratch? Leafs don't play until next Thursday. Queue the Gardiner to Canuck rumours.
He's been scratched and demoted on and off all season long, I wouldn't be reading too much into it.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:06 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
OMG really? What the heck happened? The beat writers were saying at the time that Torres wanted a 2 yr extension, Gillis would only give him one. Seemed odd at the time cause Gillis extended Lappy and Higgy for 2 yrs. But I can't imagine Gillis would be looking at Torres if someone on the team had a problem with him?
According to Hockey Widow - at least I think it was her - Higgins would refuse to re-sign if they kept Torres.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:14 PM
SunshineRays

Thought I'd put this in the Luongo thread as it effects his market:

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl
Quote:
Ryan Miller tells The Buffalo News that a report about goalie supplying a list of no-trade teams to Sabres prior to season is wrong.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:15 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
He's been scratched and demoted on and off all season long, I wouldn't be reading too much into it.
You're right. If any of the Leaf D is traded it is more likely Liles. He may be being showcased. If Gardiner were to be traded, which is unlikely, IMO, it would be in a trade for another young player, eg, a young centre. That would accord with the approach Nonis spoke about when he became GM. The real reasons for the press box time is that Gardiner was set back by concussion and, even more, the defenders ahead of him are playing so much better than expected.

I can hardly believe the Leafs are even still talking with Gillis about Luongo, but by all accounts it actually is happening, at least to some degree. But I would be truly astounded if a prime young asset would be surrendered by the Leafs.

And I still think there won't actually be a Luongo trade with the Leafs.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:15 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
According to Hockey Widow - at least I think it was her - Higgins would refuse to re-sign if they kept Torres.
Is this person a HF poster? reliable?

Old
03-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Reign Nateo

So... What's the deal with this amnesty buyout stuff again? Lu is garbage.

Old
03-30-2013, 10:35 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Is this person a HF poster? reliable?
usually very reliable

Old
03-30-2013, 10:50 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
LMFAO uhh no...No way the Leafs trade him for Luongo, absolutely no way..if any rumours are started with him it's because Gillis is leaking info to pressure other teams into taking on the contract. Gardiner would be a crazy overpay

Old
03-30-2013, 10:55 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
LMFAO uhh no...No way the Leafs trade him for Luongo, absolutely no way..if any rumours are started with him it's because Gillis is leaking info to pressure other teams into taking on the contract. Gardiner would be a crazy overpay
Ok you win Lou and a 5th then...

Old
03-30-2013, 11:04 PM
SunshineRays

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
usually very reliable
Yowsa. It's just really hard to imaging Gillis looking to acquire him if that's the case. Higgy is a UFA this summer - he'd probably walk if that's the case.

Luongo playing tonight, I bet Gillis is sweating bullets right now. He'd probably like to 'protect his asset' before trade deadline.

Closed Thread