HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread - Razor Ramon Edition (MOD WARNING POST #922)

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Yeah in 11 games.
Schneider only has 15. Hell, Luongo only has 15. Both of them less than Lindback.

Quote:
He has a save percentage of just over .900 for the last two years and after tonight he'll be close to that again. Lindback is still too early to say but so far he is struggling.
If Lindback is struggling to put up Luongo's numbers, then Luongo must also be struggling.

I don't disagree with the notion that they might want to look at making a goalie change, but I don't see that it is in any way a slam dunk that they need to be making big sacrifices to enable a trade with us.

I know we *want* them to.... but that's a different beast entirely!

Old
03-20-2013, 07:55 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Garon is putting up same SV% as Schneider, and Lindback is putting up same SV% as Luongo. The two of them *combined* cost less than half of Schneider alone.

I don't see a compelling reason for them to start swapping away assets.
So in their mind their goalies are good enough? I think Steve still thinks he can built a team the way Detriot did for years, ie underplaying the goalie position while allocating that money to his skaters. YOU WILL NOT GET FAR WITHOUT A GOALIE STANDING ON HIS HEAD ALMOST EVERY NIGHT IN THIS LEAGUE ANYMORE. LOOK AT THE LAST 2 CONN SMYTH WINNERS.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
LOOK AT THE LAST 2 CONN SMYTH WINNERS.
The league is chock a block FULL of goalies who can both get hot, and melt down, over a 20 game type stretch.

Hell, we've got two of them ourselves, and they are pretty regularly outplayed (or at least matched) by whoever stumbled off the bus and into the opposing team's net.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:59 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Schneider only has 15. Hell, Luongo only has 15. Both of them less than Lindback.

If Lindback is struggling to put up Luongo's numbers, then Luongo must also be struggling.

I don't disagree with the notion that they might want to look at making a goalie change, but I don't see that it is in any way a slam dunk that they need to be making big sacrifices to enable a trade with us.

I know we *want* them to.... but that's a different beast entirely!
Stats vs eye test

I trust my eyes.

Yzerman hasn't given his roster it's best chance to win by skimping in the goalie department.

I don't care if he does either way, but the opportunity to improve has been presented to him. Instead he decided to go big on a guy with less starts than Schnieds had coming into this season with major injury history.

Seems like a bad call, and I called that spade a spade the second he acquired Lindback.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I don't care if he does either way, but the opportunity to improve has been presented to him.
I have yet to see a trade proposal with Tampa that we (meaning HF posters on this board) would accept and that would simultaneously clearly make them a better team.

It's possible I missed it, of course.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:03 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
I have yet to see a trade proposal with Tampa that we (meaning HF posters on this board) would accept and that would simultaneously clearly make them a better team.

It's possible I missed it, of course.
Look harder.

I've seen plenty of deals that don't move one single roster player ( all futures) for one of our goalies that many have accepted (not TB fans though).

Old
03-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
I've seen plenty of deals that don't move one single roster player ( all futures) for one of our goalies that many have accepted (not TB fans though).
Oh, "not TB fans though"...

Ok, then.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:12 PM
polarbearcub

vCash: 50
A goalie has to be dealt before the deadline IMO. I will be furious if they don't deal him.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:30 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Oh, "not TB fans though"...

Ok, then.
I assumed 'this board' meant the Canucks board.

Not one opposing teams fans want luongo or Schneids for anything of value. That is what HF is all about.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:02 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
I assumed 'this board' meant the Canucks board.

Not one opposing teams fans want luongo or Schneids for anything of value. That is what HF is all about.
The thought of Connolly Kassian or Connolly Jensen is very appealing to me. The one of said players that TB fans wouldn't give up.

Old
03-20-2013, 11:41 PM
SunshineRays

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/03...muscle-tissue/

From the Province, only a portion of article:

Quote:
NHL executives outside of Vancouver believe the Canucks can still pull this deal off.

The Leafs, of course, will be interested right to the end. They’ll probably still take Luongo, but have always been looking for a sweetheart deal.

The most interesting player in this poker game, which is coming up on 11 months, may be the Washington Capitals.

The Capitals have a veteran team that really should be competing now. But they’re out of the Eastern Conference playoffs and need to start thinking about next year.

They have a young goalie who may be a star one day in Braden Holtby. But he’s not that now.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:01 AM
mossey3535

Quote:
Hell, we've got two of them ourselves, and they are pretty regularly outplayed (or at least matched) by whoever stumbled off the bus and into the opposing team's net.
I'm interested in how you've come to this conclusion.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:04 AM
mossey3535

Quote:
Stats vs eye test

I trust my eyes.

Yzerman hasn't given his roster it's best chance to win by skimping in the goalie department.

I don't care if he does either way, but the opportunity to improve has been presented to him. Instead he decided to go big on a guy with less starts than Schnieds had coming into this season with major injury history.

Seems like a bad call, and I called that spade a spade the second he acquired Lindback.
I agree. I really wanted linfback to be good. Young goalies in the league tend to be a bit scrambly and overplay a lot but to my eye he lets way too many pucks go through him.

I also don't get that 'feeling' about him. He's frankly just underwhelming in general.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:36 AM
mossey3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Its Trotz' system and having Weber. Their goalie coach isn't great, as evidenced by the success Nashville goalies have outside of the system (I'd say Vokoun is the only one who's lived up to his hype).
Mitch Korn is one of the most respected goalie coaches in the league. If he hasn't directly instructed an NHL goalie, chances are that one of his students have.

He's the biggest advocate of the modern goalie with great technique backed up with athleticism, adaptability, and battle when the system fails. He's kept up with the times unlike, say, Allaire.

In terms of Mason, Vokoun, Ellis and even Rinne is that he's consistently turned unheralded goalies into starters. It's also not the first time he's done this - he also developed a number of guys in Buffalo. Including Hasek.

so yeah, I disagree. Who would you say is a good goalie coach then?

Old
03-21-2013, 04:50 AM
TheDiver*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Mitch Korn is one of the most respected goalie coaches in the league. If he hasn't directly instructed an NHL goalie, chances are that one of his students have.

He's the biggest advocate of the modern goalie with great technique backed up with athleticism, adaptability, and battle when the system fails. He's kept up with the times unlike, say, Allaire.

In terms of Mason, Vokoun, Ellis and even Rinne is that he's consistently turned unheralded goalies into starters. It's also not the first time he's done this - he also developed a number of guys in Buffalo. Including Hasek.

so yeah, I disagree. Who would you say is a good goalie coach then?
Mitch Korn has a Calder, some Stanley Cups and 4 Vezinas, a Hart Trophy and a bunch of Vezina finalists in terms of his students. I agree with you.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:31 PM
tantalum

Leaf goaltending puts up yet another 4 spot and blown lead. Very few big and timely saves from those two the last month.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:47 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Leaf goaltending puts up yet another 4 spot and blown lead. Very few big and timely saves from those two the last month.
Hockey central have

* Miller to SJ (despite Niemi outplaying Miller)

* Miller to Detroit (because the Wings like building around goal)

Old
03-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Catamarca Livin

We need a center they have a few, a backup they have two, and a prospect or draft pick they have numerous, they need a starting goalie we have two. Get er done already!! At some point ownership is going to ask Nonis, what do we need to make the playoffs? There are less then 20 games left the leafs are on the verge of making the playoffs. They still need a goalie next year they have the cap space it is a no brainer. With Luongo they will make the playoffs, without him it is a coin flip. It is an organization need it is not like Luongo is a rental. Wishing Reimer was a starting goalie will not make it so.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Momesso
High-End Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Hockey central have

* Miller to SJ (despite Niemi outplaying Miller)

* Miller to Detroit (because the Wings like building around goal)
Heard that too. What a couple of numbskulls those two are.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:11 PM
kurt
the last emperor

Remember how many people on HF were LOLing at the idea of Kadri + picks/prospects for Luongo?

Old
03-21-2013, 10:46 PM
ChillyPalmer

Would Grabovski and a 2nd get a deal done for Lu?

Old
03-21-2013, 10:59 PM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillyPalmer View Post
I'd rather a 1st.

Well, I'd rather get Kadri, Gardiner and Rielly but you get my point.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:15 PM
MAGICMAN1963

Quote:
No thanx to anything involving the Leafs,unless Rielly is in the trade.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:25 PM
Pseudonymous*

Quote:
im at a point where i'd do the best deal available this year. wasting a year seems idiotic to me. such a valuable trade asset kept on the bench for too long is stupid. especially over a full year and playoffs.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:31 PM
ChillyPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICMAN1963 View Post
No thanx to anything involving the Leafs,unless Rielly is in the trade.
Hmmm, I'll take it back to Dave and get his thoughts.

Also saw somebody made a thread on this in the main board.

Closed Thread