HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part IX)

Old
03-20-2013, 09:21 PM
CerebralGenesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I don't think we'll be able to make a 'Jeff Carter' trade either.
Right? I love that part when people try and draw comparisons. Not sure where we are going to go out and acquire the team's top scorer. If you want to draw parallels, we are mirroring the Minnesota Wild of 2012 as of right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by åboriginal View Post
didnt say pack it in
Didn't you hear? HF boards is either 82-0 or get a new team brah

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:41 PM
rtr1105
1995 • 2000 • 2003

vCash: 50
DEVELOPING STORY: It turns out that Poni was on the bus the whole time, except he went unnoticed for 3 straight hours.

But in all seriousness, other than his first game against Philly, and the first period against the Rags last night, he's been invisible out there.

rtr1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:13 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Yeah that's why I'm afraid now. He was also bad in the first 3 or 4 games of the Lightning series in 07 after sitting out for a week, and not starting the last game of the season.

Games 2,3,6 of the Panthers series he wasn't good. I remember him being fine in game 1, and he got the shutout in game 4. Was good in game 5 but had that puck playing snafu late in the game, and we got shutout anyway. He also had a bad game against the Flyers I remember. Game 3 but luckily Bryz was bad too.
But we also thought the lockout was going to rust him out and he came out guns blazing. Trying to figure Marty out is as hard as figuring Lou out. I am not sure how he is going to look tomorrow. For the team's sake I hope he is at least decent. He is definitely going the rest of the way I'd wager, might see Moose like once more this season at most.

Overall Marty was solid in last year's playoffs even if he had some trouble in the Florida series.

Not saying there is a 1 to 1 correlation with last year's Kings. Just that people said the same crap, and it is easy to say all this in hindsight. Off chance we somehow do go on a run, in hindsight people will be saying completely different things about this team. Not like the Kings are the only example either. Why everyone loves the Stanley Cup Playoffs...crazy stuff happens every year, some teams just come seemingly out of no where. Most don't win the cup, but they get far. Some token top teams come up bust too. Pitt is going to be that top team in the East. You use the Kings as an example because they needed a lot to roll there way to do what they did. They needed to get their coaching fixed, they needed the Carter trade, they needed to break their bad playing, and they really needed Vancouver to wet the bed in the 1st round. Just one of those many things doesn't go right we aren't sitting here talking about their depth. The POINT is you never know, it is why we watch and why hockey is fun.

If the team we are icing tomorrow was our playoff roster, ya 100% I'd say we are going no where. But IF we get healthy it is a different story. The cards could fall in our favor, we just have to see what happens.

Emperoreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I wasn't worried about the lockout making Marty rusty as much as the offseason period. This year's offseason going to the SCF was only a month longer than last years when we missed the playoffs in 2011. He usually looks rusty at the beginning of every season ever since the last lockout.

The rustiest I've ever seen him look was the entire first half of 05/06 after barely playing for a year. He didn't even look very good in the world championships in 05 either I remember. Contrary to popular belief and selective memory for the ''Marty's best days are behind him, he's a below average goaltender'' crowd he was as bad that half season stats wise as he was the first half of the two years before this. 896 save percentage after the first 31 games of 05/06 with almost 3 GAA and 0 shutouts. Which is identical to his first 31 games of 11/12. And the quality of goals he was giving up in 05 were way worse.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
https://twitter.com/craigjbutton/sta...15662960078848

Quote:
@CraigJButton: 1/3. Only person asleep at wheel was me. CBA definition for "Accrued Season" is number of games a player was on active roster. (Cont.)
Quote:
@CraigJButton: 2/3: Thus Grigorenko & Matteau while not playing 23 games were on team's roster for 23 games & gain 1 accrued season for purposes of UFA.

Well ****.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:32 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Looks like the injury bug has hit us at a bad time. To be honest, if the Devils are about to crash, I rather it be this half season, while we still have our first.

I wouldn't mind adding some young scoring has in Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov or Monahan. I don't see the Devils drafting 1st, but if you're going to miss the playoffs, might as well add a good prospect. Only one team wins the cup and we had a great run last season. I also believe the cup winner will come out of the west again.

Not a bad time to bite the bullet.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:43 AM
njdevil26

Boychuck was put on waivers yesterday. Obviously he's not a superstar as he's been bounced around... but he is most likely better than any player we have that can play NHL wing. I hope Lou grabs him and gives him a shot.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:45 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
I don't want to say that I told you so. But I told you so.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:45 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
For those who are curious, the Devils rank 5th in the NHL in Fenwick Close. Fenwick measures the amount of shots taken, both on net and missed. Fenwick has proven to be a very good indicator of predicting future team success. The reason you look at the Fenwick only in tie or up/down by 1 goal is to avoid score effects (teams down by 3 will always outshoot the opponent, and vice versa).

This indicates that the Devils are doing very well in the puck possession / territorial battle.

http://behindthenet.ca/fenwick_2012....&section=close

Don't bet on Toronto and Anaheim to be very successful for much longer.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:47 AM
njdevil26

Can we please stop talking about tanking and getting a good draft pick? This team is TWO POINTS OUT OF SIXTH. If they beat Carolina tonight, they are back in 7th and two points ahead of Carolina with the same # of games played. Loktionov is back tonight, Brodeur is finally back. Poni is hurt but hasn't done CRAP anyway. Lou still has a move or two up his sleeve. Zubrus will be back in a week or two. You don't just tank a year, draft a good forward, and he comes in and scores 30 goals next season.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:50 AM
CerebralGenesis

Carolina and NYR actually have a game on hand and tiebreak. But I agree

Old
03-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Can we please stop talking about tanking and getting a good draft pick? This team is TWO POINTS OUT OF SIXTH. If they beat Carolina tonight, they are back in 7th and two points ahead of Carolina with the same # of games played. Loktionov is back tonight, Brodeur is finally back. Poni is hurt but hasn't done CRAP anyway. Lou still has a move or two up his sleeve. Zubrus will be back in a week or two. You don't just tank a year, draft a good forward, and he comes in and scores 30 goals next season.
Agreed.

The Devils start the season off really well, all our issues are forgotten. The Devils have a 5-13 stretch, and all our issues are the worst thing in the world. Such is the nature of being an emotional sports fan I guess.

Old
03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Boychuck was put on waivers yesterday. Obviously he's not a superstar as he's been bounced around... but he is most likely better than any player we have that can play NHL wing. I hope Lou grabs him and gives him a shot.
We're about the only team that hasn't yet. He isn't anyone's answer, he couldn't stick in two tailor-made situations.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:57 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
McKenzie said the same thing. I really don't get why we kept him on our roster as a scratch the last couple weeks, the 23 game thing could EASILY have been avoided. But hey, why should Lou care? Not like he'll be the one negotiating the UFA contract in all likelihood anyway.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 08:57 AM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
We're about the only team that hasn't yet. He isn't anyone's answer, he couldn't stick in two tailor-made situations.
I understand that but the best forward that the Devils could bring up is Harri Pesonen. Someone that every NHL team had the chance to get for 5 years now. Boychuck makes $625,000 and is an RFA after this year. What's the harm in giving him a shot?

Old
03-21-2013, 09:07 AM
elias026

were gonna win 5 of the next 6 games

elias026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:08 AM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
For those who are curious, the Devils rank 5th in the NHL in Fenwick Close. Fenwick measures the amount of shots taken, both on net and missed. Fenwick has proven to be a very good indicator of predicting future team success. The reason you look at the Fenwick only in tie or up/down by 1 goal is to avoid score effects (teams down by 3 will always outshoot the opponent, and vice versa).

This indicates that the Devils are doing very well in the puck possession / territorial battle.

I'd bet on Anaheim being successful. I really hate these stats. They're just stats and mean nothing. I think we'll turn it around, but for many reasons not just some magic stat.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
I'd bet on Anaheim being successful. I really hate these stats. They're just stats and mean nothing. I think we'll turn it around, but for many reasons not just some magic stat.
Why do you hate these stats? People usually hate things they don't understand. Take some time to read up on them before blindly hating and dismissing them.

Anaheim will not continue shooting at a 12% clip. Do you understand that it's just not possible for a team in the modern era to do that over the long term?

Old
03-21-2013, 09:11 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
we play a bunch of crap teams coming up.

need to start racking up points.

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:44 AM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Why do you hate these stats? People usually hate things they don't understand. Take some time to read up on them before blindly hating and dismissing them.

Anaheim will not continue shooting at a 12% clip. Do you understand that it's just not possible for a team in the modern era to do that over the long term?
They're scoring nearing more than a gpg than they're giving up and they have the best pp in the league. Who's gives a **** about shooting percentage? Watch them play and look at other relevant stats. They have a stacked forward core and will obviously continue to score a ton of goals.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:45 AM
CerebralGenesis

i hate your stats so let me give you some stats

Old
03-21-2013, 09:49 AM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
i hate your stats so let me give you some stats
And the "watching them play" part too. Not sure if they'll stay as hot as they are but they are for sure a very good team. And FMASC thinks we have good forwards, so in his opinion they must have the greatest forwards of all time.

Last edited by SteveCangialosi123: 03-21-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old
03-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Yashintangibles
6 Million Dollar Man

Quote:

We were saying exactly the same thing about the Rangers last season and they made the ECF.

Stats are important but they don't always tell the truth.

Yashintangibles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:40 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
They're scoring nearing more than a gpg than they're giving up and they have the best pp in the league. Who's gives a **** about shooting percentage? Watch them play and look at other relevant stats. They have a stacked forward core and will obviously continue to score a ton of goals.
that all comes down to luck.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:46 AM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
that all comes down to luck.
hahahha...your sarcasm pisses me off sometimes but that made me literally lol. that's really what he says about everything haha