HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part IX)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2013, 11:57 AM
  #751
KohoDonuts88
8.5%
 
KohoDonuts88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbain942 View Post
bernier 6G 3A 9P -6
carter 3G 7A 10P -3

in contrast

elias 10G 19A 29P +8
gionta 3G 7A 10P +2 CENTERMAN and only won u can probably count on to win faceoffs and give 100%
lotionov 5G 3A 8P 0 only half the games played




just look at http://devils.nhl.com/club/stats.htm...20122013&srt=p
Newsflash: Carter and Bernier are not as good as Elias.


KohoDonuts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:58 AM
  #752
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
 
GameSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
Elias on the PP point sounds like trouble. Didn't we do that before to very poor results?
That's my recollection too. Much rather Travis back there based upon past performance of both forwards on the point. But Patty's was an admittedly small sample size.

Travis has a damn good defensive acumen, and a seeming reach advantage over Patty, plus I think his slapper is better. Also think Patty excels on the half boards as a distributor, but I'm sure Pete and staff are looking at what they think their best option is.

GameSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:58 AM
  #753
mcbain942*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mcbain942* Send a message via AIM to mcbain942*
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I respectfully (somehow) disagree with the notion that +/- is a goto stat to judge the quality of a forward.

If so, that Kovalchuk guy really sucks.
carter is averaging a goal every 10 games. I love carter, last year wouldn't have happened without him just saying with more ice time I would have expected more

mcbain942* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:58 AM
  #754
MadDog172430
Palm Trees
 
MadDog172430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 8,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbain942 View Post
bernier 6G 3A 9P -6
carter 3G 7A 10P -3

in contrast

elias 10G 19A 29P +8
gionta 3G 7A 10P +2 CENTERMAN and only won u can probably count on to win faceoffs and give 100%
lotionov 5G 3A 8P 0 only half the games played




just look at http://devils.nhl.com/club/stats.htm...20122013&srt=p
You are contrasting them to two players of completely different styles. That is simply unfair. Bernier and Carter have played very well for their respected roles (4th liners getting 3rd line minutes). Gionta has played well also, but the fact you just cited his ability to win faceoffs shows you have no idea what you are talking about. Go look up his faceoff percentage and tell us that with a straight face.

MadDog172430 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:59 AM
  #755
mcbain942*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mcbain942* Send a message via AIM to mcbain942*
Quote:
Originally Posted by KohoDonuts88 View Post
Newsflash: Carter and Bernier are not as good as Elias.

or some defenseman

mcbain942* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 11:59 AM
  #756
Devils Trap
Cory's Better
 
Devils Trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country:
Posts: 27,396
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Gionta is like last in the NHL in FO %. The fact that you said that , really hurts your arguement. Guy is just straight up awful at it. Id rather have Clarkson take a faceoff then Gionta.

I just looked it up and its worst then I thought. Gionta is at 33%

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:01 PM
  #757
mcbain942*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mcbain942* Send a message via AIM to mcbain942*
Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
I respectfully (somehow) disagree with the notion that +/- is a goto stat to judge the quality of a forward.

If so, that Kovalchuk guy really sucks.
kovi is -2, still better then carter and bernier if you wanna look at pm

mcbain942* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:02 PM
  #758
Richer's Ghost
Moderator
#26 to #25 for #2
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 52,874
vCash: 369
3rd and 4th liners are supposed to produce better than first and second liners? C'mon...

And the only difference between their stats and Gio's is a +/- rating? And he has a 33% faceoff win percentage this year. Not a good time to highlight his faceoff abilities as grounds for comparison when both Carter and Bernier have better %.

__________________


Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:02 PM
  #759
Devils Trap
Cory's Better
 
Devils Trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country:
Posts: 27,396
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbain942 View Post
kovi is -2, still better then carter and bernier if you wanna look at pm
Soo apparently Gionta is better then Kovalchuk right ?

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:03 PM
  #760
The Green Unit
Lost Cosmonaut
 
The Green Unit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 7,171
vCash: 500
Jeez, I went to NJ.com news about Ilya's injury and some comments are frightening. Kovalchuk is a non-factor getting too much TOI and it looks like those posters are having hard time not publicly celebrating to see the team playing without him. Ok it's a good test for the kids but come on, is it still the cold war era over there ?

The Green Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:03 PM
  #761
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 24,425
vCash: 500
Carter and Bernier are having pretty decent years. They are depth guys and provide 2ndary scoring. You can't give guys like that top minutes and just extrapolate their previous results, there is a reason they aren't counted upon regularly to contribute points.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:03 PM
  #762
Uli Hiemer
Dr. Evil
 
Uli Hiemer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 13,893
vCash: 500
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 11m

Quote:
Devils say MRI on Kovalchuk's shoulder didn't show anything different than the X-ray, so 2-4 week projection for his recovery remains same.

Uli Hiemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:04 PM
  #763
mcbain942*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mcbain942* Send a message via AIM to mcbain942*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Gionta is like last in the NHL in FO %. The fact that you said that , really hurts your arguement. Guy is just straight up awful at it. Id rather have Clarkson take a faceoff then Gionta.

I just looked it up and its worst then I thought. Gionta is at 33%
he takes most of our faceoffs, although last in the NHL, hes won faceoffs with the other end of the stick many times if you have seen any replays, we stink at facoffs, but if you want to be Pete and take him out of there, you take the job

mcbain942* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:04 PM
  #764
mcbain942*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mcbain942* Send a message via AIM to mcbain942*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Hiemer View Post
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 11m

mcbain942* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:05 PM
  #765
Devils Trap
Cory's Better
 
Devils Trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country:
Posts: 27,396
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbain942 View Post
he takes most of our faceoffs, although last in the NHL, hes won faceoffs with the other end of the stick many times if you have seen any replays, we stink at facoffs, but if you want to be Pete and take him out of there, you take the job
Why is that important Chico ??? The fact that he does that means nothing. Its nothing special to win a faceoff with the other end of your stick. And yes, if Pete was smart Gio would never take an important FO again, ever .

Only Clarkson, Kovy and Poni have a worse FO% then him.

Gionta is majorly bringing down our FO% . Everyone else is atleast solid at it

Zajac 56%
Henrique 48%
Loktionov 40%
Carter 47%
Elias 46%

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:08 PM
  #766
mcbain942*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mcbain942* Send a message via AIM to mcbain942*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
3rd and 4th liners are supposed to produce better than first and second liners? C'mon...

And the only difference between their stats and Gio's is a +/- rating? And he has a 33% faceoff win percentage this year. Not a good time to highlight his faceoff abilities as grounds for comparison when both Carter and Bernier have better %.
ya and Jeff Frazee has the best save percentage in the league

percentage isn't what its all about, im pretty sure I see gionta taking most of the faceoffs

mcbain942* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:10 PM
  #767
mcbain942*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mcbain942* Send a message via AIM to mcbain942*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Why is that important Chico ??? The fact that he does that means nothing. Its nothing special to win a faceoff with the other end of your stick. And yes, if Pete was smart Gio would never take an important FO again, ever .

Only Clarkson, Kovy and Poni have a worse FO% then him.

Gionta is majorly bringing down our FO% . Everyone else is atleast solid at it

Zajac 56%
Henrique 48%
Loktionov 40%
Carter 47%
Elias 46%
can you add attempts to this?

we are off topic here , i was just simply stating some people need to pick up their overall game.

carter and bernier have had 2nd line chances i recall

mcbain942* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:11 PM
  #768
Devils Trap
Cory's Better
 
Devils Trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country:
Posts: 27,396
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbain942 View Post
ya and Jeff Frazee has the best save percentage in the league

percentage isn't what its all about, im pretty sure I see gionta taking most of the faceoffs
Also wrong . Zajac has taken 590 FO this year and is at 56% . Henrique has taken 465 and is at 48%. Gionta on the other hand has taken only 280 and is at 33%

edit: http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/pl...wards/count/81

My source

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:12 PM
  #769
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering
 
manilaNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 6,098
vCash: 500
Not that I really want to keep pushing this argument further -

But Ryan Carter took the 4th most amount of faceoffs last season and maintained better than a 49%.

When Gionta took over the faceoffs in the playoffs, he was still running at about 38% - which is better than he's doing right now.

He is not the best guy to be taking faceoffs on that line.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:12 PM
  #770
mcbain942*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mcbain942* Send a message via AIM to mcbain942*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Soo apparently Gionta is better then Kovalchuk right ?
u stated this plus minus thing not me, obviously not, i see more potential out of carter and bernier. I think gionta is the only one that still has the 4th line fever of last year. They all need it back

mcbain942* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:13 PM
  #771
Devils Trap
Cory's Better
 
Devils Trap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country:
Posts: 27,396
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbain942 View Post
u stated this plus minus thing not me, obviously not, i see more potential out of carter and bernier. I think gionta is the only one that still has the 4th line fever of last year. They all need it back
Where did I start the plus/minus thing ?? Please quote me

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:13 PM
  #772
mcbain942*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mcbain942* Send a message via AIM to mcbain942*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Also wrong . Zajac has taken 590 FO this year and is at 56% . Henrique has taken 465 and is at 48%. Gionta on the other hand has taken only 280 and is at 33%

i stand corrected on a little side note i put next to his name

mcbain942* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:15 PM
  #773
MadDog172430
Palm Trees
 
MadDog172430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 8,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbain942 View Post
u stated this plus minus thing not me, obviously not, i see more potential out of carter and bernier. I think gionta is the only one that still has the 4th line fever of last year. They all need it back
I bet he still has the 4th line fever because he's the only one seeing 4th line minutes. Bernier has gotten minutes on the 2nd and 3rd line this year, while Carter has been on the 3rd line for a handful of games. Ehrgo, they are seeing better competition than Gio probably is.

I still love the 3 of them. Can't wait until everyone is healthy and they are our 4th line again.

MadDog172430 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:16 PM
  #774
mcbain942*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: North Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mcbain942* Send a message via AIM to mcbain942*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Where did I start the plus/minus thing ?? Please quote me
sorry it was manilaNJ who made the comment

mcbain942* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 12:18 PM
  #775
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: PA/NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 49,515
vCash: 500
this is...going great

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.