HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part IX)

Old
03-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Tundra

vCash: 500
Well it sounds like my assumptions were correct. The devils have been impeding Larsson's progress. He looks absolutely terrified when he has the puck on his stick! Some things this org does baffles me, especially the insistence to ram square blocks into round holes:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=661300

Quote:
NEWARK, N.J. -- During a recent trip to the East Coast of the United States to catch a glimpse of potential candidates for the 2013 World Championship team in May, Swedish National ice hockey coach Par Marts quickly learned that New Jersey Devils defenseman Adam Larsson had taken on a different role this season.

"He's a different player now because in Sweden he was more of an offensive player with puck control, passing, and he played a lot on the power play," Marts told NHL.com.
"He doesn't play the power play as much now and he's going to have to adjust to this kind of hockey."

Marts was asked if Larsson was a player on his radar for consideration for the World Championship, which will take place between 16 countries from May 3-19 in Finland and Sweden.

"Definitely -- we need some right-handed defensemen so he could be, yes," Marts said.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
We will be trading a nothing (signed)prospect for a condtional pick soon enough if Merrill decides to turn pro. We are at the 50 contract limit.
Wouldn't he just sign an ATO to play with Albany?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
Well it sounds like my assumptions were correct. The devils have been impeding Larsson's progress. He looks absolutely terrified when he has the puck on his stick! Some things this org does baffles me:

Mårts is correct about Larsson having more offensive upside than he currently shows, but Mårts' teams use defensemen too aggressively in offensive play. Larsson should get the defensive fundamentals right first before he can use his offensive game more full-on.

Last edited by Rob Nieds work ethic: 03-25-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:30 PM
CerebralGenesis

tell him to suck it, Larsson better be playing during the month of May still.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Scottyk9
Henrique to Hall..

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Well it sounds like my assumptions were correct. The devils have been impeding Larsson's progress. He looks absolutely terrified when he has the puck on his stick! Some things this org does baffles me:

Stop over reacting. Devils did the same thing with Neids. Larsson will get his time on the offensive side of the puck soon enough. They are easing him into different aspects of a 60 minute game.

He is our shut down 5 on 5 and PK'er now...he'll get his power play time next season and be on his way to being the complete 2-way D man this org has needed.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:31 PM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbain942 View Post
better not be Reid Boueche
He's not one of the 50 yet, is he? I think his kicks in next year. Still, certain he's not going anywhere before Lou and team knows what they have in RB at the next level(s).

GameSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:33 PM
Tundra

Quote:

Stop over reacting. Devils did the same thing with Neids. Larsson will get his time on the offensive side of the puck soon enough. They are easing him into different aspects of a 60 minute game.

He is our shut down 5 on 5 and PK'er now...he'll get his power play time next season and be on his way to being the complete 2-way D man this org has needed.
But if the leash is too tight, he may never develop. Every player is different. I knew he looked extremely tight of late, almost petrified of making a mistake. That's not how you develop a 20 something defenseman of his pedigree. At some point, the thoroughbred has to start running without much thought. It has to be instinctual, but it sounds like the coaching staff has him shackled.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:34 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I have no ****ing clue why Larsson isn't playing on our PP, ZERO. When Kovy went down last game, DeBoer decided to go with Bryce ****ing Salvador over Larsson... I mean, WTF is going on with DeBoer for him to make such a bonehead decision.

I know that Salvador went "Niedermayer" during last years cup run but anyone with common sense knew that he wasn't going to duplicate that performance this year or any other year for that matter.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Jack Griffin

I also don't know why Larsson doesn't shoot more. He has a pretty decent slap shot but we hardly ever see it.

Jack Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Scottyk9
Henrique to Hall..

Quote:
But if the leash is too tight, he may never develop. I knew he looked extremely tight of late, almost petrified of making a mistake. That's not how you develop a 20 something defenseman of his pedigree. At some point, the thoroughbred has to start running without much thought.
I don't see that at all. You know what I see in Larsson when he is in the O-zone. A player who is not yet ready to move the puck at NHL game speed, YET he still always make a slick pass across the ice down low to a forward or puts a low deflectable shot on goal.

It seems every time Larsson gets the puck and shoots it or plays it down low something nearly happens.

The raw ability is there but his D zone play and neutral zone play are more important right now.....I would hate him turning into another Zidlicky.

He's going to be fine...the leash will be taken off here in the next season or two....it's better for his game now for him to see he can be a shut down guy and not have to make his mark with just offense.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post
I also don't know why Larsson doesn't shoot more. He has a pretty decent slap shot but we hardly ever see it.
Very apprehensive. He wants to get it off his stick as soon as possible. If you remember when Larsson first joined the devils in the preseason, he showed much more offensive flair and confidence. Since then he's been Borged.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Scottyk9
Henrique to Hall..

Deboer's whole coaching career he's been working with young players....if theres anything I trust him with it's how to work with prospects.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:39 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

I think there is far too much impatience with Larsson, what his stregnths and weaknesses are and what he is fully (and responsibly) capable of right now.

You can point to Hamilton or Brodin and say that they look better than him right now, but you can also point to the fact that Larsson came out of the gate looking like he was ready to be a #1, as well, before he hit his rookie wall.

He will get there. The point is to not push too hard, too soon.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:41 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Quote:
Deboer's whole coaching career he's been working with young players....if theres anything I trust him with it's how to work with prospects.
There's working with young players and utilising your best assets at the most opportune time.

There's no way, I don't care who's on your roster, that you should ever see Bryce Salvador at the point on a PP.

I'd rather see Moose in nets and have Marty on the point then Salvador at the point with Marty in nets and Moose on the bench... NO JOKE.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Jack Griffin

I think defensively Larsson has been one of the best this year. I think that is all the Devils coaching staff care about right now. Last year they seemed to ask too much of him and that was part of his problem.

Jack Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Brodin and Hamilton are more physically talented than Larsson, so they will look better to the naked eye.

Larsson thinks the game really well. The more time he has to adapt to the NHL, the more his superior hockey smarts will show.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:44 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post
I think he actually tried a slapshot Saturday, and broke his stick on it. I was like ****, I wanted to see if it actually worked Actually I remember that happening more than once, maybe that's part of the reason he's gunshy about cranking one.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Bleedred
#freeauvitu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
There's working with young players and utilising your best assets at the most opportune time.

There's no way, I don't care who's on your roster, that you should ever see Bryce Salvador at the point on a PP.

I'd rather see Moose in nets and have Marty on the point then Salvador at the point with Marty in nets and Moose on the bench... NO JOKE.
LOL Salvador on the PP isn't that bad. You know in a 3-0 game in the 3rd period where you've already scored a PP goal that is! Like game 4 against Florida last year.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:50 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
LOL Salvador on the PP isn't that bad. You know in a 3-0 game in the 3rd period where you've already scored a PP goal that is! Like game 4 against Florida last year.
I know, I know... but seeing Salvador at the point on our PP made me sick to my stomach. He got a pass and handled it like he was dealing with a live grenade that was half a second away from blowing up in his hands.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:56 PM
The Devil In I
#NoPainNoLaine

Quote:
I have no ****ing clue why Larsson isn't playing on our PP, ZERO. When Kovy went down last game, DeBoer decided to go with Bryce ****ing Salvador over Larsson... I mean, WTF is going on with DeBoer for him to make such a bonehead decision.

I know that Salvador went "Niedermayer" during last years cup run but anyone with common sense knew that he wasn't going to duplicate that performance this year or any other year for that matter.
To be fair, Larsson got his shot on that PP on the first wave....and it was ****en atrocious. Now, the whole shift was a mess for everyone, but Larsson was getting caught in the defensive zone looking kind of lost on where to go to re-group for the break out.

I hardly give him ****, being a huge fan, but he looked pretty bad during that PP shift he got.

The Devil In I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 03:58 PM
Blender

The team obviously wants Larsson to be a defenseman you can always trust against top players, and one that logs big minutes. They aren't looking for a Jack Johnson.

The puck skills are there, and the offense will come as he continues to improve his overall game.

Blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:00 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPass2Clarkson View Post
To be fair, Larsson got his shot on that PP on the first wave....and it was ****en atrocious. Now, the whole shift was a mess for everyone, but Larsson was getting caught in the defensive zone looking kind of lost on where to go to re-group for the break out.

I hardly give him ****, being a huge fan, but he looked pretty bad during that PP shift he got.
Yeah... but over Salvador?

To me, he's a kid that is scared straight to go back in the pressbox more then anything else and that's why you don't see making the plays he made last year when he was a lock to be apart of our top #4.

Now with all the surplus of blueliners we have, it seems like the youngsters are gripping their sticks wayyyy too tight in fear of being scratched.

Just my pov on the matter

Old
03-25-2013, 04:04 PM
Bleedred
#freeauvitu

Quote:
I know, I know... but seeing Salvador at the point on our PP made me sick to my stomach. He got a pass and handled it like he was dealing with a live grenade that was half a second away from blowing up in his hands.
Believe me, it made me wanna bang my head against something hard. The fact we couldn't score one goal on a 5 minute major against the worst PK in the league + a trash can goaltender in net. Then I saw Salvador, and wondered if this was some kinda comedy stunt.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Cheddabombs
Status Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontPass2Clarkson View Post

I'm going to blame that first little bit of the 5 minute powerkill on Kovalchuk not being there. He plays such a big role on the Powerplay, from manning the point, controlling the play in the offensive zone, all the way to breaking out from the defensive zone and getting the puck deep. The whole unit looked lost, as if they were waiting for Kovalchuk to step on the ice and give them directions. And with Kovalchuk going down on such short notice before the powerkill, there was barely any time for the group to re-organize. Most of the communication made between the unit had to be made between whistles and on the ice.

With a day between games, the group has had time to understand their separate role on the PP and how they are going to survive without Kovy. I'd love to see Larsson getting some time on the PP, especially when they put Elias on the point, it's almost as if they are making ways for Larsson not to play the PP.

The first unit I'd love to see Zids and Zajac on the point, with Clarkson, Loktionov, and Elias up front. And then for the second unit have Harrold and Larsson on the points, with Bernier, Henrique, and D'ags up front. Just wishful thinking on my part though.

Cheddabombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:44 PM
devsfan4life

Quote:
Very apprehensive. He wants to get it off his stick as soon as possible. If you remember when Larsson first joined the devils in the preseason, he showed much more offensive flair and confidence. Since then he's been Borged.
I actually do remember that because I went to a few that he played. He was one of the best players on the ice in every game that I remember seeing.

Confidence on both sides of the puck, taking it deep into the offensive zone and controlling. (He was even on the point with Kovy on the PP) I can't remember the last time he was taking a little bit of a chance... like Zidlicky. I'm not saying he has to be deep as often as Zidlicky... but maybe a little bit more?

devsfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 04:47 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

I don't know what is so hard to understand about Larsson not getting PP time this season, if you read the nhl.com article, the explanation is right there....

Everybody is so worried about stunted growth, yet also want these young prospects to be put into every situation possible rather than focus on weaknesses in the prospects game

That is not the way it works, young kids, especially top prospects go through processes set forth by their organizations - they'll start off playing in multiple different situations just to give the organization a feel for where they are at and then the process to developing that player is set forth - we saw this exactly with Larsson, he saw some time in different situations last season and the organization picked up on his weaknesses defensively so this season they set forth to stress his defensive game and have him work in a large defensive role

Wingman77 is offline   Reply With Quote