HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part IX)

Old
03-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Emperoreddy
In Ray We Trust

vCash: 500
Ahh some good news today. Marty back by Thursday. Loki is skating which is good. Tally and Zubs getting.

Ill never understand the need to be so mysterious with injuries. We all suspected it was a pinched nerve like a week and half ago (I agree with what Bleed was saying. I think Marty told Chico or someone what it was and Chico slipped on air) I'm glad Loki is skating so soon after this "injury" but the this secret stuff is silly

Emperoreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Alright here are some preliminary and admittedly rushed and likely unthorough numbers:

Not including games that have gone to a shootout, the Devils have won 9 and lost 8 games with Fayne in the lineup. In non-SO games without Fayne, the Devils have won 2 and lost 4. The Devils have played 6 shootouts total with Fayne being in for 3 and out for 3.

The following numbers include PP and EN goals because:
1. I'm too lazy to do this for specifically even strength right now
2. Fayne being in or out affects whether guys like Harrold are in and getting PP time
3. It's reasonable to assume that Fayne's sitting or playing affects the PK
4. EN goals allowed/scored are a result of playing bad/good in the first place so I don't mind including them much. Just be aware there's likely a lot of noise in these numbers.

Now, the Devils have scored 2.55 goals/game and allowed 2.6 goals/game with Fayne playing. Not super great. However, without Fayne in the lineup, the Devils have only scored 2.1 goals per game and given up 2.78. So the Devils have a worse goal ratio without Fayne in the lineup. Also, not sure if it means anything, but a larger percentage of games go to a shootout when Fayne isn't playing.

~*TL:DR*~
Basically, in games where Fayne is sitting (which has only been 9 so far), the Devils score less goals and allow more. Take that to mean whatever you want, and feel free to ignore it. There are certainly other factors in play, I just wanted to see if there was any noticeable difference in games where he's played versus where he hasn't.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
If looks could kale

vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post

~*TL : DR*~
Basically, in games where Fayne is sitting (which has only been 9 so far), the Devils score less goals and allow more. Take that to mean whatever you want, and feel free to ignore it. There are certainly other factors in play, I just wanted to see if there was any noticeable difference in games where he's played versus where he hasn't.
Too Lazy - Didn't Read?

It wasn't that long but I like this bottom line summary. Thanks.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
Ahh some good news today. Marty back by Thursday. Loki is skating which is good. Tally and Zubs getting.

Ill never understand the need to be so mysterious with injuries. We all suspected it was a pinched nerve like a week and half ago (I agree with what Bleed was saying. I think Marty told Chico or someone what it was and Chico slipped on air) I'm glad Loki is skating so soon after this "injury" but the this secret stuff is silly
Loki is skating too? Didn't catch that when I was reading the practice report, but I skimmed through it fast. Well I guess he isn't dead so good news right?

And yes! Now they tell us it was a pinched nerve! I don't know why this organization treats injuries like it's front office top secret stuff. They give us as much information on injuries as they do if Lou is on the phone calling about a trade. Which is none! I just hope Marty doesn't look rusty cause we need to win 3 of the next 4, and if we can just win 2 then we absolutely need one of the losses to be in OT.

Bleedred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:53 PM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Alright here are some preliminary and admittedly rushed and likely unthorough numbers:

Not including games that have gone to a shootout, the Devils have won 9 and lost 8 games with Fayne in the lineup. In non-SO games without Fayne, the Devils have won 2 and lost 4. The Devils have played 6 shootouts total with Fayne being in for 3 and out for 3.

The following numbers include PP and EN goals because:
1. I'm too lazy to do this for specifically even strength right now
2. Fayne being in or out affects whether guys like Harrold are in and getting PP time
3. It's reasonable to assume that Fayne's sitting or playing affects the PK
4. EN goals allowed/scored are a result of playing bad/good in the first place so I don't mind including them much. Just be aware there's likely a lot of noise in these numbers.

Now, the Devils have scored 2.55 goals/game and allowed 2.6 goals/game with Fayne playing. Not super great. However, without Fayne in the lineup, the Devils have only scored 2.1 goals per game and given up 2.78. So the Devils have a worse goal ratio without Fayne in the lineup. Also, not sure if it means anything, but a larger percentage of games go to a shootout when Fayne isn't playing.

~*TLR*~
Well it's settled then.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Emperoreddy
In Ray We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Loki is skating too? Didn't catch that when I was reading the practice report, but I skimmed through it fast. Well I guess he isn't dead so good news right?

And yes! Now they tell us it was a pinched nerve! I don't know why this organization treats injuries like it's front office top secret stuff. They give us as much information on injuries as they do if Lou is on the phone calling about a trade. Which is none! I just hope Marty doesn't look rusty cause we need to win 3 of the next 4, and if we can just win 2 then we absolutely need one of the losses to be in OT.
He skated on his own with Tally and Zubs. Pete said he isn't ruling him out for tomorrow yet but they still won't say whether it was an upper or lower body injury. Lol all from TG btw.

I hope Marty isn't rusty but we need to live with it and hope it shakes off fast. We need his puck handling. Still having him in the locker room tomorrow helps we need our leaders.

Hope Loku gets back fast too because offense has looked even more inept since he went down.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Hockey Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I don't know.

Harrold is solid, he's been one of our best defensemen when he plays.
I don't know about that. He's been getting outshot at even strength despite starting in the offensive zone almost 60% of the time. Harrold will make a nice move and skate with the puck often, and I think that's sticking in people's minds way more than his average defensive play.

I think it would be an improvement if Fayne came in for Harrold. Fayne's been the only D on the team who's outshooting his opponents despite getting a majority of his starts in the defensive zone. To be honest though, I'd rather see both Fayne and Harrold in and one of Salvador and Volchenkov out.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:59 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Marty's practicing, Lokti/Tallinder/Zubrus are all skating...THE CAVALRY'S COMING SOON!

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:03 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Marty's practicing, Lokti/Tallinder/Zubrus are all skating...THE CAVALRY'S COMING SOON!
thats always a good way to look at it...like, on the trade deadline we get brodeur, zubrus, tallinder and loki.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Hockey Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
He skated on his own with Tally and Zubs. Pete said he isn't ruling him out for tomorrow yet but they still won't say whether it was an upper or lower body injury. Lol all from TG btw.

I hope Marty isn't rusty but we need to live with it and hope it shakes off fast. We need his puck handling. Still having him in the locker room tomorrow helps we need our leaders.

Hope Loku gets back fast too because offense has looked even more inept since he went down.
I agree it didn't look great without him, but it was just one game, and against what is currently one of the best defending teams in the league.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

I also believe Loki being out for most of the second Philly game hurt our offense too. Luckily Henrique is skating on the top line with Kovy, and not Zajac thank god.

These next two I feel we have to win, and I've said ''This next game is a must win'' a lot over the last month, but no more ****in around this is it. If we must lose one it needs to be in OT. After the Rangers and Canes we have a blimpathon. I think the two games after are against Florida and Ottawa. Ottawa will probably put that mattress Bishop in and Florida has been rolling with Markstrom. If Lindback is a blimp then Markstrom is a balloon. He is the definition of ''Takes up the entire net'' we've been struggling with these goalies for awhile now, and we've been struggling to score period for a while. We did score 3 on Markstrom during Patty's 1000th, and I've seen him give up some awful goals this year too.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:18 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
After the Rangers and Canes we have a blimpathon. I think the two games after are against Florida and Ottawa. Ottawa will probably put that mattress Bishop in and Florida has been rolling with Markstrom.
lol...actually Lehner's been starting lately for Ottawa though, he might even be bigger than Bishop (6-4, 225), just not as tall.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
lol...actually Lehner's been starting lately for Ottawa though, he might even be bigger than Bishop (6-4, 225), just not as tall.
I've been calling him Lundqvist junior. Apparently Henrik was coached by his father in Sweden, and he grew up getting tips from Hank a few times. I bet they start Ben beauty rest because of his last game against us. I still think this is legit that this team struggles against big goalies or goalies with huge equipment. Enroth is real little, but wears stupid equipment. Dano was even calling him 6'6'' in the intermission, but he's only 5'10''!

Dineen might always start Clemmensen who we are afraid of in the regular season. Clemmensen has the worst GAA and save percentage in the league this year.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Rella17

Quote:
I've been calling him Lundqvist junior. Apparently Henrik was coached by his father in Sweden, and he grew up getting tips from Hank a few times. I bet they start Ben beauty rest because of his last game against us. I still think this is legit that this team struggles against big goalies or goalies with huge equipment. Enroth is real little, but wears stupid equipment. Dano was even calling him 6'6'' in the intermission, but he's only 5'10''!

Dineen might always start Clemmensen who we are afraid of in the regular season. Clemmensen has the worst GAA and save percentage in the league this year.
Clemmer is gonna pitch a 30 save shutout against us if he plays

Rella17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rella17 View Post
Clemmer is gonna pitch a 30 save shutout against us if he plays
I wouldn't be surprised. On the other side of things though if it weren't for his absolutely BRUTAL goaltending in game 6 against them we wouldn't have made it to the SCF. It was because of him that we won that game. That Bernier goal in the 1st period was a joke. That Zajac goal in OT was completely inexcusable to give up in OT of a playoff game where your team has a chance to move on. If we get Theodore in game 6 and 7 we might not have won. Even if we beat Theodore in game 6. He never lost 2 games in a row that series.

Florida is a mess this year. Lots of injuries, no defense, Garisson is gone and their PP don't look so deadly anymore. They are the worst team in the league right now. As much as I thought he outcoached Deboer in the beginning of the series Kevin Dineen is looking like an awful coach right now. All in all he's got a bad injury plagued roster to deal with though.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
If looks could kale

vCash: 369
Quote:
I hope.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:48 PM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...k_at_practice/

“I was in tight trying to get it up. It wasn’t even that hard,” Clarkson said. “I went over and said, ‘It didn’t even hit you that hard.’"

Sounds like Clarky is having some personal problems that may have been the cause for his scoring drought.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:56 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
So a guy should sit for a couple of games, simply because he made a mistake?

I mean, I don't exactly know why some of the guys are sitting and playing and others aren't, etc. But that's just kind of crazy sounding to me. You're advocating the same thing you're frequently chiding at the same time.

My brain is starting to hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
if every player had to sit because they made a mistake we'd have no one to dress on a nightly basis
Read post below for more info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
No one is really saying benching him for one mistake, at least I'm not. We have a guy in Harrold who can do what Zids does and we have a guy in Fayne who's one of our 3 beat dmen on the bench. One of them needs to sit for him. I don't see how anyone can argue that.

Personal beefs with posters aside it does make sense. Zids d has been horrendous all year not just one play.
Thank you... I'm saving alot of typing for nothing cause of you

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...k_at_practice/

“I was in tight trying to get it up. It wasn’t even that hard,” Clarkson said. “I went over and said, ‘It didn’t even hit you that hard.’"

Sounds like Clarky is having some personal problems that may have been the cause for his scoring drought.
Not sure if serious, but Clarkie and Marty are best buds and were just messing around.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Bologna 1

it would be nice if marty coming back now can inject some new-found life and brighten up that dressing room a bit to get the team playing more confidently.

Bologna 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:08 PM
CerebralGenesis

internet is seriuz buzniss

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I don't know.

Harrold is solid, he's been one of our best defensemen when he plays.
That's what I've been seeing too. He had a very good game against Montreal and played well in the games against Philadelphia too. No reason to take him out of the line-up.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:13 PM
RNCDevil

If I had to rank the D now, in terms of total contributions, it would be:

Greene
Larsson
Harrold
Salvador
Volchenkov
Zidlicky

I know Zidlicky brings an added dimension with his skill. However it has too rarely translated into production. By contrast, his mistakes have been costly. For that reason, I would not mind seeing Fayne return to the lineup.

Tallinder was coming along before his injury, too. Salvo and Volch are the toughness, but I wonder if you just need the one during the PK.

Greene - Larsson
Tallinder - Harrold
Salvo - Fayne

Top 4 are not going to get burned. Bottom two get limited minutes and PP specialty minutes.

RNCDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:18 PM
Marshal Rochambeau
N.J. Hockey Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique Iglesias View Post
Not sure if serious, but Clarkie and Marty are best buds and were just messing around.
He was referring to something more subtle.

Marshal Rochambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Emperoreddy
In Ray We Trust

Quote:
I agree it didn't look great without him, but it was just one game, and against what is currently one of the best defending teams in the league.
After he left the game against Philly it seemed we lost some more teeth. I mean we had some chances, but it definitely seemed to have went down. At the time I figured it was more the lines getting really jumbled, and Price was really on Saturday so hard to tell for sure.

Still cavalry is coming!!! I just recall thinking while, obviously the game winner Saturday was in NO WAY Moose's fault, that play might not happen with Marty there just because he most likely plays that puck up the boards. Why we really miss him. He bails our team out with his puck handling a lot.