HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part IX)

Old
03-18-2013, 08:10 PM
CerebralGenesis

vCash: 500
Why does it affect the fans if Marty has a pinched nerve or a sore knee?

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
When Moose was stinking up the joint a couple weeks ago we had no idea when Marty would come back. Nothing other than ''He's getting better'' or the Lou comment that there really hasn't been a setback.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:19 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Knowing whether it was 1 week or 1 month wasn't going to change the circumstances.
Moose wasn't playing well, but neither was the team around him.
Let's say they originally thought it would be 1 week, when it extends beyond 1 week then you have excess panic when he's not ready.

If it's less than 1 week, you get high expectations that "it wasn't so bad" then you get angry at management when he has a setback, doesn't readjust accordingly coming back that soon.
"Why is the med staff so incompetent?!" and such.

When there's no clear cut time table, as I'm sure there wasn't... such things don't exactly heal predictably... why set expectations?

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
When Moose was stinking up the joint a couple weeks ago we had no idea when Marty would come back. Nothing other than ''He's getting better'' or the Lou comment that there really hasn't been a setback.
Guess what. Moose could have played lights out. Moose could have played terribly. Regardless of how he played, Brodeur wasn't coming back until he was healthy. It really doesn't matter if we know how much longer until Brodeur is back. Doesn't affect Moose's play. Doesn't affect the product on the ice. Its the same thing until he's healthy enough to be in the lineup. Again, it makes no difference if we know his injury or not in that case.

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:25 PM
manilaNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
Guess what. Moose could have played lights out. Moose could have played terribly. Regardless of how he played, Brodeur wasn't coming back until he was healthy. It really doesn't matter if we know how much longer until Brodeur is back. Doesn't affect Moose's play. Doesn't affect the product on the ice. Its the same thing until he's healthy enough to be in the lineup. Again, it makes no difference if we know his injury or not in that case.
On top of that, the defense/offense play (depending on the game) wasn't going to win any goaltender any games. Every part of the game faltered all at once.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

To say Moose was the reason we were losing is wrong. Though there were a couple games we could have went to OT had he played better. From there it would have been up to the team to win in OT, or to win in the shootout. I'm not the first one to say this either. People were talking about buying him out for ****s sake! And no I was not one of them.

To say Moose did not give up some bad goals against Winnipeg that first home game, or against the Leafs, or Lightning is not true.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Emperoreddy
Captain Baldy

Quote:
because as a fan I like to know what is wrong and more realistic time length on when they will return.

It isn't a crazy thing for a sports fan to want to be up to date on the injury news. Someone gets hurt on the Yankees everyone knows, Giants, Jets, etc. Only with the Devils it is such a mystery. It is a little annoying and I don't get the point of it.

Emperoreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:34 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
because as a fan I like to know what is wrong and more realistic time length on when they will return.

It isn't a crazy thing for a sports fan to want to be up to date on the injury news. Someone gets hurt on the Yankees everyone knows, Giants, Jets, etc. Only with the Devils it is such a mystery. It is a little annoying and I don't get the point of it.
Other leagues, especially NFL force teams to be transparent with injuries. It's just the way it is and how Lou operates. It annoys me too slightly but I have no problem with it.

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Emperoreddy
Captain Baldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
Other leagues, especially NFL force teams to be transparent with injuries. It's just the way it is and how Lou operates. It annoys me too slightly but I have no problem with it.
I get that, and I wasn't trying to make this a federal case or anything. Not saying "Injuries not disclosed, Fire Lou" or anything. Just something I don't understand the need for.

Off topic, but considering how the NFL is I never understood how the Pats got away with hiding injuries like they do. They are another team that makes injuries a state secret.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Scott04

Quote:
I get that, and I wasn't trying to make this a federal case or anything. Not saying "Injuries not disclosed, Fire Lou" or anything. Just something I don't understand the need for.

Off topic, but considering how the NFL is I never understood how the Pats got away with hiding injuries like they do. They are another team that makes injuries a state secret.
I couldn't say for sure, or necessarily say its a "thing" in the league, but you think its possibly a player safety thing? I assume it wouldn't be the case for the majority of the guys in the league, but I'm sure there are a few players that will know what injury a guy has/recently had, and go after it. After watching two games against the Flyers this week, I KNOW someone on that team would go after a guy with a known injury and target them in certain ways with questionable plays. Last thing we need is giving a team the information they need of where to try to cheap shot one of our players. Again, this may not really be a "thing" in the NHL. But it wouldn't totally surprise me if it was, or in any sport really.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Emperoreddy
Captain Baldy

Quote:
I couldn't say for sure, or necessarily say its a "thing" in the league, but you think its possibly a player safety thing? I assume it wouldn't be the case for the majority of the guys in the league, but I'm sure there are a few players that will know what injury a guy has/recently had, and go after it. After watching two games against the Flyers this week, I KNOW someone on that team would go after a guy with a known injury and target them in certain ways with questionable plays. Last thing we need is giving a team the information they need of where to try to cheap shot one of our players. Again, this may not really be a "thing" in the NHL. But it wouldn't totally surprise me if it was, or in any sport really.
That does actually make sense, and that is a thing in football so definitely not unheard of. I don't look at other teams injury reports much but are other NHL teams as secretive as we are about injuries?

Old
03-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Scott04

Quote:
That does actually make sense, and that is a thing in football so definitely not unheard of. I don't look at other teams injury reports much but are other NHL teams as secretive as we are about injuries?
Maybe not to the same level, but I feel like I've heard it before to some extent. Or maybe its just more situational. Lets not forget the Rangers never said what injury Rick Nash had earlier this year when everyone knew he had a concussion.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:53 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Other NHL teams are often vague like "lower body injury" but not as secretive as us

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Emperoreddy
Captain Baldy

Quote:
Maybe not to the same level, but I feel like I've heard it before to some extent. Or maybe its just more situational. Lets not forget the Rangers never said what injury Rick Nash had earlier this year when everyone knew he had a concussion.
Completely forgot about that and you are right. Seems we are a bit more so then other teams, but I guess it is more wide spread then I realized. Like I said was more of a pet peeve annoyance then anything,

Old
03-18-2013, 08:57 PM
CerebralGenesis

When Malkin got hurt again it was an upper body injury; not concussion. *******s won't reveal the exact location of the injury? Pens aren't fan friendly.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Quote:
Nothing new with this. Remember the BS in the Rangers series in '94 with the secrecy around injuries to Leetch and Messier. It got to the point where it was comical how they wouldn't talk about it.

As a fan it's annoying but I don't see it changing.

Luke3026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:04 PM
manilaNJ

For me, sometimes it's a distraction to try and countdown to when a player is coming back.
Sometimes I like to keep the injuries in the back of my mind and once I hear that they're skating with the team again... I can allow myself to think "ok, we get another healthy body coming back soon" - and I can look upon that positively.

Spares me the extra stress of thinking, "Oh no, we don't have Lotki/Zubrus/Marty/whoever for a while." during the course of a game.

I like to spectate with minimal stress, personally.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Devils need to win at least 10 more games of these 19 to definitely get in. They could get away with 9 out of 19 if they lose 4 in OT I think.

Old
03-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Emperoreddy
Captain Baldy

Quote:
When Malkin got hurt again it was an upper body injury; not concussion. *******s won't reveal the exact location of the injury? Pens aren't fan friendly.
Maybe I am missing an injury, but they revealed he had short term memory loss when he got concussed earlier in the year.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:44 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:

They invent injuries as much as they hide them. They put guys on the injury report if they pass gas. The irony is Brady was on the injury report for like five years, then the week they finally took him off it he got hurt and missed the season.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:47 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke3026 View Post
Nothing new with this. Remember the BS in the Rangers series in '94 with the secrecy around injuries to Leetch and Messier. It got to the point where it was comical how they wouldn't talk about it.

As a fan it's annoying but I don't see it changing.
Well that's a playoff series. And I think Keenan short-circuted as much as they were actually hurt.

I don't exactly blame teams for hiding injuries when it gives the other team a 'competitive advantage' (say a guy's shoulder's hurt, it'll be a target). It's the times it doesn't really matter that the secrecy annoys me too. It wouldn't have been a big deal to say Marty had a pinched nerve, it's not like he was coming back before he was fully healthy anyway.

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:00 PM
apice3*

I don't really mind the injury secrecy. It's pretty easy to figure out injuries before they're announced.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:11 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
I can't remember last week. 94 might as well be the time of Christ.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Richer's Ghost
McCleod is here

vCash: 369