HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lasak gone

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2003, 01:31 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Lasak gone

More than likely picking up Mason means bye-bye to Lasak. Guys he just wasn't consistant enough. He always seemed so tense in the NHL

from the Tennessean article
Quote:
''I thought Jan had shown some improvement in the first half of camp, but in looking at what Chris and Jan had done last year and in training camps this year, we felt like Chris Mason was the best goaltender right now,'' Predators General Manager David Poile said.
Looks like they're giving up on Lasak.

Quote:
Poile said he will allow Lasak's agent to look for other NHL opportunities before meeting again with the goaltender on Monday. Should no opportunities be found, the Predators would have to place Lasak on waivers in order to reassign him.

Old
10-04-2003, 06:18 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
More than likely picking up Mason means bye-bye to Lasak. Guys he just wasn't consistant enough. He always seemed so tense in the NHL

from the Tennessean article

Looks like they're giving up on Lasak.
Whelp, I must say I don't agree with this but if he's not ready for NHL action, he certainly doesn't need to be stealing time from Finley in Milwaukee. Finley is, as of now, our future.

Another interesting comment was found in the other article. Trotz is going to make cuts before the game. He said several players have played their last games. Sounds like he wasn't amused by our play.

Old
10-04-2003, 06:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Whelp, I must say I don't agree with this but if he's not ready for NHL action, he certainly doesn't need to be stealing time from Finley in Milwaukee. Finley is, as of now, our future.

Another interesting comment was found in the other article. Trotz is going to make cuts before the game. He said several players have played their last games. Sounds like he wasn't amused by our play.

Lasak has, in my mind...the same problem that plagues guys like Arturs Irbe...TONS of ability, but a serious confidence problem. It might get better, but often times it doesn't, and it's just too risky to gamble that way. It makes me sad to see it come to this, but this might be for the best. Mase is and always has been a steady goalie. He's not spectacular, but he was better in the AHL last year than Lasak was. I was sad to see HIM go, originally...and am happy to have him back. I'm hoping we can get something for Lasak, rather than just losing him in waivers, though.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:00 AM
Fan Development

vCash:
Tells me two things..
1. The Predators are serious about making a run. If they wanted to "develop" young players this year then Lasek would be suffering as a backup. Mason is a more mature(maybe not better skill wise then Lasek) goalkeeper, and should be able to play .500 hockey as a backup.
2. Lasek is just not in the long range plans. With Finley, and this year's draft class, Lasek had no place. Too bad we couldn't pull the trigger on a trade, or acquire draft picks.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:31 AM
BluesConvert

This is about as aggrivated as I've EVER been with this organization. I COMPLETELY disagree with this decision.

Finley : Does ANYONE do less with more in this organization? Is ANYONE ELSE so close (probably one groin pull) to the end of a career?

Lasak : Faster on his BAD nights than Vokoun, Dunham, and FInley put together. Young enough that the inconsistency is not only "not a problem", but is TO BE EXPECTED!

BTW, anyone else run the numbers? Lasak's GAA is BETTER than Koun's this preseason, if one factors it out over 60 minutes/game.

Oh well. I thought the Dunham trade sucked too, and was really impressed with the acquisition of Gilchrist.

Hope I'm wrong this time as well.

/bc

Old
10-04-2003, 10:21 AM
dulzhok

Poile has not impressed me at all this offseason.

Lasak is an extremely talented goalie. Ya, he has some kinks, but what 23 year old goaltender without NHL expirence doesn't?

Mason is no more proven than Lasak. He has played 4 games at the NHL level. No wins.

Should've atleast given Lasak a chance. Then, if things failed miserably, you could go out and get a guy like Mason (or better... Hurme, anyone?) very easily. What is the harm in giving a talented guy a freaking chance before giving up on him? Worst case, he blows a couple of games and then you can make a move.

Worst case now is that Lasak works out his kinks and blossoms as an NHL goaltender. And that 27-year-old Mason, who's yet to prove anything as an NHL goaltender, still can't prove anything.

Old
10-04-2003, 11:00 AM
Fan Development

vCash:
I don't like giving up on a talent like Lasek, but maybe this creates a little scare in him...someone else brought up the point of having him split time in tonights game with St. louis....Mason vs. Lasek. That pressure could be similiar to a regular season backup, but for his life w/ the Preds.
We could always release Mason, or expose him on the waiver wire by sending him to Mil. I'd rather have Mase there then Wade. Time will tell.

Old
10-04-2003, 11:01 AM
RWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
Poile has not impressed me at all this offseason.

Lasak is an extremely talented goalie. Ya, he has some kinks, but what 23 year old goaltender without NHL expirence doesn't?

Mason is no more proven than Lasak. He has played 4 games at the NHL level. No wins.

Should've atleast given Lasak a chance. Then, if things failed miserably, you could go out and get a guy like Mason (or better... Hurme, anyone?) very easily. What is the harm in giving a talented guy a freaking chance before giving up on him? Worst case, he blows a couple of games and then you can make a move.

Worst case now is that Lasak works out his kinks and blossoms as an NHL goaltender. And that 27-year-old Mason, who's yet to prove anything as an NHL goaltender, still can't prove anything.
The thing is, Poile isn't looking for Mason to prove anything. He's just the best backup option we have available *this* year. Finely has to have the chance to play in Milwalkee and they aren't sold on Lasak. If we gave Lasak the chance and then had to replace him a month or two into the season, there is no guarantee a suitable replacement would be available on waivers, and we'd most likely have to give up some picks or some depth prospects along with risking Lasak on waivers.

Worst case scenerio, we lose Lasak on waivers in exchange for improving our chances this year. Best case scenerio, Lasak clears waivers, we loan him out to an AHL team for the season, and he comes back to camp next year with another year under his belt, and hopefully sticks with the big club.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:43 PM
Jarnberg

Lasak > Mason

Old
10-04-2003, 12:50 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger
Lasak > Mason
how?
lasak on top of his game > mason
lasak on his "off nights" <<<<<< mason.
lasak's "off nights" > lasak's "on" nights.

Old
10-04-2003, 02:31 PM
Jarnberg

what has mason done?

lasak has way more upside

Old
10-04-2003, 02:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by csstranger
what has mason done?

lasak has way more upside
yeah. arturs irbe upside. here one night, gone the other. and chris mason has done just as much as lasak has...more, in fact...having put up better numbers in the AHL than jan ever has.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:00 PM
Jarnberg

Keyword: AHL

Lasak is still younger than Mason, while Mason hasn't been able to crack an NHL lineup for longer than a few games.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:42 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
At this point I think they are looking for more of a consistent play,however I think this is a very very wrong step in the wrong direction...

Old
10-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Fan Development

vCash:
I think you're missing the point CSS. I don't think the team was looking at Lasak as a development project. If they were, then he needs to be in Milwaukee splitting games w/ Finley. The team needs a backup goalie, and Jan isn't ready. We're weak in goal after Vokoun, and if he gets hurt would you want to turn it over to Jan? Don't think Chris is an answer either, but at least he has more maturity/experience under his belt. Sure he has greater "upside", but by the time that upside turns into day in and day out production, Brian Finley will be in net.

Old
10-04-2003, 06:16 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Still, this is a bad management move.....absolutely terrible. Pollie hopefully will turn something good out of this You don't give up on a guy thats been very impressive, b/c he isn't ready for the team at only 23. Besides, he has played decent.......I really fail to see the logic here, and I'm not going to talk myself down this time. I can understand the Skrastins trade, but not a release of Lasak for nothing. Either trade him or sign him........their should be no middle ground here...

Old
10-04-2003, 06:25 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

You all don't think Mitch Korn had a say in this? I do. Lasak is a great international goalie, he struggles against NHL players, lots of goalies do.

I agree with not sending him to the Ads to take time away from Finley too. Finley when healthy is much better than Lasak. The only question is can you keep him healthy. Mason plays more of a consistant game than Lasak, a game more suited to the back-up role.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:07 PM
SmokeyClause

We've known for a while that management was going to have to choose between Finley or Lasak. Finley's injuries put the decision off for a while but Lasak's inconsistent play brought it to the forfront. Mason as a backup isn't bad. Losing Lasak for nothing is.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:10 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
We've known for a while that management was going to have to choose between Finley or Lasak. Finley's injuries put the decision off for a while but Lasak's inconsistent play brought it to the forfront. Mason as a backup isn't bad. Losing Lasak for nothing is.
Not much of a market for goalies right now though.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:23 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Not much of a market for goalies right now though.
Yeah but a 4th or 5th rounder is a 4th or 5th rounder. I would imagine if Flaherty can net Trepanier, then we could have atleast gotten a 5th rounder for Lasak. Or, we could have let Lasak play for the first coupla a weeks and then taken the decision from there. Mason could still have been had for peanuts at this stage and I'm sure we could have found a taker for Lasak. We won't anymore though because they know he's free.

Old
10-04-2003, 09:42 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Hip and I both thought the most we could get out of Lasak was a 6th, Hurme just went for a 4th, lasak isn't anywhere near that good.

Old
10-04-2003, 10:45 PM
Jarnberg

Its funny how people post about how good they think Lasak will be in the future and how he was going to be the backup this season, but as soon as the Preds management gets rid of them or is about to, people just knock them. (see slovak)

I guess its alright to go with Finley, who has been injury plagued.

Old
10-06-2003, 02:14 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
Jan came in Saturday night and sat a section below us. He watched the game with his head in his hands. Seemed devastated. I went down and offered him some encouragement and he mumbled back. His confidence has always seemed shaky, hope this doen't set him back.

Closed Thread