Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Toys on the Way

Old
03-18-2013, 09:07 AM
BruinsFan64

vCash: 500
Did I miss something? What new toys are on thew way?
If this is referring to Providence, unless it is Jared Knight or Koko, been there done that.

Carl is not coming until April so unless PC makes some sort of move, no new toys in the Attic, at least not for a little while.

BruinsFan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:16 AM
bp13

I'd trade Spooner for Perry, but not Iginla. He's too good of a prospect to give up for a guy who's about as good as Horton (when Horton actually gives 100%). Perry is a better player, and IMO, would be worth giving up Spooner for as a likely rental.

I still maintain though that the more pressing need is on defense. With Kelly out we obviously need a third line forward (which PC can and likely will acquire fairly easily), but the bigger impact would be a top 4 d-man, if one could be had.

bp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:28 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

I feel more confident that Spooner will contribute as soon as next season, where I never felt that way about Colborne.

I know some of you have seen Koko, but he seems like the guy I'd move out of our higher end prospects.

SPV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:29 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemispheres View Post
How does everyone seem to know how good Iginla is now(going by his past)? Have you been watching him, not to many Calgary games broadcasted? Everyone thought Kaberle was good and we at least had a chance to watch him around here while in Toronto.
Watched about 7-8 Flames games now, while I have little doubt Iggy would be a great fit, his game is NOT close to whaf it once was (please don't throw stats my way fans) and the price to obtain him, IMO by Feaster would/will be too steep for a guy I see re-signing with the Flames the second his season is done if playing with someone else

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:29 AM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by zylos45 View Post
Jumbo Joe, part deux, couldn't hold spooners jock....
Typical reaction. Lotta people were very upset over colbourne. There will be more spooners and colbournes. Spooner is not someone I'm gunna lose sleep over if they are traded.

The Dangley One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:37 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post
Typical reaction. Lotta people were very upset over colbourne. There will be more spooners and colbournes. Spooner is not someone I'm gunna lose sleep over if they are traded.
I often go to the Providence games with my bud Eric who posts here as Eric Saxson- he would sit there watching Colborne and by the end of the first period comment 'we passed on John Carlson for this guy'..eventually he would stop and just laugh and tell me he has to go get a beer this is just depressing

I'm glad you feel this way- reassures me they should not only not trade Spooner but promote him

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Numbah4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
I feel more confident that Spooner will contribute as soon as next season, where I never felt that way about Colborne.

I know some of you have seen Koko, but he seems like the guy I'd move out of our higher end prospects.
Agree with those thoughts. I think/hope Spooner and Krug can give our power-play a shot in the arm next year. In addition to taking regular minutes.

Also agree about Koko. It's extremely difficult for the Russian players to come over without much of a support system. I think he'd have a hard time style of play wise(north/south not east/west)and also fitting in. I'd be much more inclined to deal
him. Would still not want to deal for a rental though.

P-Bruins come to Pa next week. Wilkes-Barre on Friday and Hershey on Sat. I'll prob catch the one in Wilkes-Barre and go to Bruins game in Philly on Saturday. Can't wait to get a look at
him then.

Numbah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkh View Post
i often go to the providence games with my bud eric who posts here as eric saxson- he would sit there watching colborne and by the end of the first period comment 'we passed on john carlson for this guy'..eventually he would stop and just laugh and tell me he has to go get a beer this is just depressing

i'm glad you feel this way- reassures me they should not only not trade spooner but promote him
qft.

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:45 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
I'm sorry, but you are talking out of your posterior. More people were upset when the B's reached for Colborne at the draft than when he was dealt. Also, anyone who has seen Colborne and Spooner play at the AHL level can tell you they are two completely different animals.

I get that people here get too attached to prospects, but you seem to be at the opposite end of that spectrum? While it is OK for you to have that sentiment, in today's NHL, a good farm system and prospects is an integral part of a winning organization, so it's not OK for Chia and Co to operate like that. With the Cap likely being lower next year, having cost-controlled younger players on lieu of free agents is evening important than ever.

Our top prospect for a mid-30's UFA, that may or may not give the B's a better shot at the Cup? Pass

Last edited by GloryDaze4877: 03-18-2013 at 09:52 AM.
GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:52 AM
reidy
@reidjjackson

Send a message via AIM to reidy
All this talk of stats, age, projections, etc. has me almost wanting to undertake a large-scale data dump and run the numbers myself. Certainly don't agree with the "players peak at 24" thing, and I'd wager the numbers back it up.

As for Spooner, I haven't seen him play much but going just by the numbers, isn't it fair to say that KoKo should be the higher priority between the two? The kid lit up the OHL this year.

reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:07 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
I often go to the Providence games with my bud Eric who posts here as Eric Saxson- he would sit there watching Colborne and by the end of the first period comment 'we passed on John Carlson for this guy'..eventually he would stop and just laugh and tell me he has to go get a beer this is just depressing

I'm glad you feel this way- reassures me they should not only not trade Spooner but promote him
And Eberle, Colborne was one of the worst draft picks the Bruins made in a long time. At least everything turned out OK.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:14 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Were you even on the boards when the Colborne pick then trade went down??? Sorry, you lost credibility right after I read "lotta people.....over colbourne"

I initially didn`t mind the pick, outside the box kind of stuff but the kid had tools, just has never opened the toolbox enough to use them, mistake of a pick, not a team out there who doesn`t have as many "mistakes" or miscalculations as this team has had re: draft picks, not an exact science

Old
03-18-2013, 10:14 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidy View Post
All this talk of stats, age, projections, etc. has me almost wanting to undertake a large-scale data dump and run the numbers myself. Certainly don't agree with the "players peak at 24" thing, and I'd wager the numbers back it up.

As for Spooner, I haven't seen him play much but going just by the numbers, isn't it fair to say that KoKo should be the higher priority between the two? The kid lit up the OHL this year.
I had this discussion with Dom the other day, and he said Spooner and KoKo are pretty much neck and neck. Others seem to give Spooner the slight nod because he is a better skater than KoKo.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:18 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
And Eberle, Colborne was one of the worst draft picks the Bruins made in a long time. At least everything turned out OK.
Yep, and there`s a bunch of current B`s many teams probably also wonder "what if" had they chosen them. Bergy/Krejci/Looch/Marchand....

I`m sorry, I am not at all opposed to moving assets/prospects for the betterment of the team, and although I haven`t been as lucky to have watched Spooner play like many here, when I read posts/opinions from those here who I have great respect for, and who have a very sound knowledge and understanding of the game say this kid has it all, just needs time......I want no part of moving him, NOT for a pure rental for sure<<<< clearly not speaking of you saying you would move him patty

Old
03-18-2013, 10:20 AM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Yep, and there`s a bunch of current B`s many teams probably also wonder "what if" had they chosen them. Bergy/Krejci/Looch/Marchand....

I`m sorry, I am not at all opposed to moving assets/prospects for the betterment of the team, and although I haven`t been as lucky to have watched Spooner play like many here, when I read posts/opinions from those here who I have great respect for, and who have a very sound knowledge and understanding of the game say this kid has it all, just needs time......I want no part of moving him, NOT for a pure rental for sure<<<< clearly not speaking of you saying you would move him patty
Difference is all those guy's played major junior, not in a tier 2 league. Colborne has size, but the good ends after that.

I'd trade Spoone straight up for Iginla, not doubt, I'd even add to it. The Bruins have to make some decisions since all these guys aren't going to play for them, there's just no room and not every single prospect pans out.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:26 AM
sarge88

Boychuk, Koko, 2nd

For

Streit and Boyes

Boyes to fill out the Peverley/ Kelly line and give them a guy that can finish.

Streit to bolster the PP.

sarge88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:31 AM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Go back and check the boards. People were upset over the Bruins giving up colbourne in the kaberle deal. This is typical behavior of fans, they're teams prospects are always the best, if a former prospect busts it doesn't matter cause the next guy is much better than the guy before. It's great looking through gold colored glasses all the time but every now and then it good to take em off. Spooner is nothing special

The Dangley One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:31 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Difference is all those guy's played major junior, not in a tier 2 league. Colborne has size, but the good ends after that.

I'd trade Spoone straight up for Iginla, not doubt, I'd even add to it. The Bruins have to make some decisions since all these guys aren't going to play for them, there's just no room and not every single prospect pans out.
Not me but I'm typically more conservative. I'd offer Caron/Krug and a pick but no Spooner

Old
03-18-2013, 10:34 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
Boychuk, Koko, 2nd

For

Streit and Boyes

Boyes to fill out the Peverley/ Kelly line and give them a guy that can finish.

Streit to bolster the PP.
It might take something like that, meaning that's the kind of assets some team would cough up to get two veterans during a playoff race. Don't think that's a good move for the Bruins. Ideally you'd bump somebody off the 3rd pair or at worst, keep a 7 man rotation with Hamilton/McQuaid battling for playoff ice time, because you know Clode will be conservative with that rotation. I don't like coughing up Boychuk prior to the playoffs. The other two assets are non-trivial. I don't doubt that the Bruins would have to cough up something of value to get something of value, so let's accept reality there. But bringing Boyes in... that could go either way, he could be okay for Boston or he could disappear - he's no certain thing.

Keeping that trade compact and going for Streit, that makes more sense to me. I would be shocked if Chiarelli really brings in a marquee forward - I don't expect Iginla for example. Dropping down to the next tier, I would strongly prefer somebody better than Boyes. Not the * worst * gamble, I'm just not sold that he'd be much help.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Go back and check the boards. People were upset over the Bruins giving up colbourne in the kaberle deal. This is typical behavior of fans, they're teams prospects are always the best, if a former prospect busts it doesn't matter cause the next guy is much better than the guy before. It's great looking through gold colored glasses all the time but every now and then it good to take em off. Spooner is nothing special
Several people in the know have stated that Spooner is indeed special. How often have you seen him play, that we should take your word over theirs?

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:50 AM
dup7

My guess is 30/30 GM's in the league would trade Spooner for Iginla before you could say the word 'rental'.

Of course Iginla has lost a step...he still has elite talent and would prosper here due to the fact that he wouldn't have to carry a team on his back like he does every night in Calgary.

He's a leader and among the most respected guys in the league...every player in the B's locker room would be thrilled to have him there.

I read everything Kirk, Dom and others have produced about Spooner. Neelynugs post earlier sums it up - the kid has a bright future, no doubt.

The B's window to win is now - when you can add Iginla without moving any current roster players, you do it.

dup7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:54 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
It might take something like that, meaning that's the kind of assets some team would cough up to get two veterans during a playoff race. Don't think that's a good move for the Bruins. Ideally you'd bump somebody off the 3rd pair or at worst, keep a 7 man rotation with Hamilton/McQuaid battling for playoff ice time, because you know Clode will be conservative with that rotation. I don't like coughing up Boychuk prior to the playoffs. The other two assets are non-trivial. I don't doubt that the Bruins would have to cough up something of value to get something of value, so let's accept reality there. But bringing Boyes in... that could go either way, he could be okay for Boston or he could disappear - he's no certain thing.

Keeping that trade compact and going for Streit, that makes more sense to me. I would be shocked if Chiarelli really brings in a marquee forward - I don't expect Iginla for example. Dropping down to the next tier, I would strongly prefer somebody better than Boyes. Not the * worst * gamble, I'm just not sold that he'd be much help.
Agreed completely on all points. I'd upgrade on Boychuk for a signed player myself, but isn't Streit a pending free agent? If so, Boychuk is too much to give up when he's big, durable and experienced in this system. You need guys like that for your run. As for Boyes, I agree. Meh. I think PC will be unable to give up what's required to get a marquee forward, and Boyes isn't quite good enough for the next group.

It'll be interesting to say the least. The Bruins are a top 3 team and they could benefit from 1-2 players, but they also can probably win this thing with the current team plus a decent third liner. So PC has some options here...he can be aggressive or he can be more conservative and still feel confident. It's a great spot for him really.

bp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:59 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
No way I trade Spooner for Iginla straight up... I'd do a 1st and a Caron, but that's it. Kaberle like deal, with a prospect I don't hold in the highest regard.

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

[QUOTE=bp13;61877887]I'd trade Spooner for Perry, but not Iginla. He's too good of a prospect to give up for a guy who's about as good as Horton (when Horton actually gives 100%). Perry is a better player, and IMO, would be worth giving up Spooner for as a likely rental.

I still maintain though that the more pressing need is on defense. With Kelly out we obviously need a third line forward (which PC can and likely will acquire fairly easily), but the bigger impact would be a top 4 d-man, if one could be had.[/QUOTE]

bp13 has been beating this drum for quite a while, and I agree. A top 4 d-man and a 3rd line winger/center are what the doctor ordered.

As for Spooner for Iggy? I always mantain that you make any trade to improve your team, but this is one I think long and hard about, because it would be such a short-term improvement.

I've never seen Spooner play, so all I can go by is what others who have seen him have to say, and it sounds real good.

I never, and I mean NEVER heard anyone in the know speak anywhere near as highly of Joe Colbourne, as I've heard people speak of Spooner.

As much as I think Iggy would be a great addition for a single playoff run, I think I'd pass on Spooner for him. If they make the deal and win the cup all is good, but it seems a bit too risky to me.

What I'd like to see is Spooner in the NHL for a couple of weeks, and maybe, just maybe he can contribute this year.

Roll 4 Lines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Greatest Of All Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dup7 View Post
My guess is 30/30 GM's in the league would trade Spooner for Iginla before you could say the word 'rental'.

Of course Iginla has lost a step...he still has elite talent and would prosper here due to the fact that he wouldn't have to carry a team on his back like he does every night in Calgary.

He's a leader and among the most respected guys in the league...every player in the B's locker room would be thrilled to have him there.

I read everything Kirk, Dom and others have produced about Spooner. Neelynugs post earlier sums it up - the kid has a bright future, no doubt.

The B's window to win is now - when you can add Iginla without moving any current roster players, you do it.
I wouldn't. The Bruins can win the Cup without adding Iginla. They still need to add, but they don't need that caliber of player to do it.

Chiarelli's poor drafting is coming back to haunt the Bruins right now. They are about to face cap troubles, and will need to ditch some higher priced veterans for young players on ELCs. The problem is, the Bruins haven't drafted well and don't have many players ready to make that jump. Spooner is one of the few guys who should be ready to step in.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote