New Toys on the Way

Old
03-18-2013, 10:07 AM
The Dangly One
Dangle dangle goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Several people in the know have stated that Spooner is indeed special. How often have you seen him play, that we should take your word over theirs?
In the know?

Oh so you mean biased. Like I said, every team's fans hype up there prospects. It's no wonder anyone every gets trade with how some people gloat about there prospects and potential. Am I a spooner expert? No but I've seen him enough to know what he is, a rich peverely type.

The Dangly One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:13 AM
LouJersey

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post
In the know?

Oh so you mean biased. Like I said, every team's fans hype up there prospects. It's no wonder anyone every gets trade with how some people gloat about there prospects and potential. Am I a spooner expert? No but I've seen him enough to know what he is, a rich peverely type.
You do know the only thing to keep him out of the first round his draft year was his injured shoulder, right? he scored 30 goals as a 16 year old.

if *we* are so biased, then why does every fan from every other team want him in hypothetical trade proposals?

BTW, if his basement is a "Rich Peverley type" what would be wrong with that?

LouJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:16 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
You do know the only thing to keep him out of the first round his draft year was his injured shoulder, right? he scored 30 goals as a 16 year old.

if *we* are so biased, then why does every fan from every other team want him in hypothetical trade proposals?

My only complaint about Spooner is that the Bruins did not pick him with the Leafs 2nd rounder, flipped it around with drafting Knight. Because that would have been classic, getting Seguin, Hamilton and Spooner from the Leafs

I really wish they'd give the kid some ice time right now. The fact that they aren't doing it suggests to me there's not much chance of him being dealt - otherwise they'd be showcasing him a bit. But I'd like to see what he could do for the big league team while they are fending off injuries.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:17 AM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
It might take something like that, meaning that's the kind of assets some team would cough up to get two veterans during a playoff race. Don't think that's a good move for the Bruins. Ideally you'd bump somebody off the 3rd pair or at worst, keep a 7 man rotation with Hamilton/McQuaid battling for playoff ice time, because you know Clode will be conservative with that rotation. I don't like coughing up Boychuk prior to the playoffs. The other two assets are non-trivial. I don't doubt that the Bruins would have to cough up something of value to get something of value, so let's accept reality there. But bringing Boyes in... that could go either way, he could be okay for Boston or he could disappear - he's no certain thing.

Keeping that trade compact and going for Streit, that makes more sense to me. I would be shocked if Chiarelli really brings in a marquee forward - I don't expect Iginla for example. Dropping down to the next tier, I would strongly prefer somebody better than Boyes. Not the * worst * gamble, I'm just not sold that he'd be much help.
Good points. I could absolutely see Boyes becoming a legit goal scoring threat or doing very little. A crapshoot for sure.

I would love Streit for the PP and I would make the deal hoping he would be amenable to re-signing here at a reasonable price for a chance to win a cup.

Regardless of who hey target, as you acknowledged you have to give to get. I didn't think substituting McQuaid for Boychuk would be enough for the Isles and Boychuk's $$$ offset Streit's more than McQuaid's.

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
In the know?

Biased fans? You have no idea who you're talking about, do you?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Torontobruinsfan

Forget Iginla, what about Vanek?

What about going after Vanek? He was on fire at the beginning of the year and is the type of skilled finisher we desperately need. I would move Caron, Subban (they will move Miller), and a 1st for him.
He's signed until the end of next season with a $7M cap hit. He's a considerable upgrade over Horton who we should let walk in the offseason. New forward lines:

Lucic Krejci Vanek
Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Perverly Soderberg Horton
Merlot

Torontobruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:32 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88 View Post
Good points. I could absolutely see Boyes becoming a legit goal scoring threat or doing very little. A crapshoot for sure.

I would love Streit for the PP and I would make the deal hoping he would be amenable to re-signing here at a reasonable price for a chance to win a cup.

Regardless of who hey target, as you acknowledged you have to give to get. I didn't think substituting McQuaid for Boychuk would be enough for the Isles and Boychuk's $$$ offset Streit's more than McQuaid's.
You're right, it would really have to be quality youth for the Islanders to be interested. Either roster players mid-twenties or less, good prospects, or draft picks. Not sure what would appeal to them because, well, they're crazy, but you have to believe it would any of Spooner/Knight/Koko/Subban, 1st - 3rd round picks. You could see Knight + 2nd, or Subban + Caron, something like that, as being what they'd want (not necessarily what would work for the Bruins).

The Islanders have some good players so I'm not opposed to backing up the truck there and seeing if you can get a couple good players out of them (Streit + more). But you're gonna pay so you have to decide if you want to do it. If the Bruin could get one of their legit younger players, it would be easier to get behind the idea of trading some quality prospects, picks, players.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:33 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Not sure how many Canadian posters here but my All-Time favorite Rental trade was 2 months of Bartolo Colon to the Montreal Expos for a Future Cy Young Winner still going strong, a 30/30 Gold glove & Silver slugging second baseman, and the same in CF. I would lol if Chia did a Koko, Spooner, and/or Knight rental and got reemed. I still think back at how many 3 years ago were ready to dump Brad '1 assist in 20 games' Marshmont.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Pastafarian!

I would looooooove to see Moulson come over along with Streit.

Of course I say this knowing nothing about contract situations or salaries....and also that it's likely a total pipe-dream but hey, I can dream can't I?

Roll 4 Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:34 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontobruinsfan View Post
What about going after Vanek? He was on fire at the beginning of the year and is the type of skilled finisher we desperately need. I would move Caron, Subban (they will move Miller), and a 1st for him.
He's signed until the end of next season with a $7M cap hit. He's a considerable upgrade over Horton who we should let walk in the offseason. New forward lines:

Lucic Krejci Vanek
Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Merlot
Unrealistic they would trade him to Boston, even if there was a good deal to be made. And the cap hit for next year is no fun. Good player, like him, yes he would be good for Boston, but it's not going to happen. I don't think Chiarelli is thinking of that magnitude of trade. Maybe I'm wrong, it just does not fit the MO.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:36 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post

Of course I say this knowing nothing about contract situations or salaries....and also that it's likely a total pipe-dream but hey, I can dream can't I?
That's what I'm getting at. They have some good players like that, in that age bracket. But you are talking about shipping out a good package of assets if you want Streit + Moulson/Grabner or similar. It's intriguing though.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:43 AM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll 4 Lines View Post

Moulson is at a reasonable $3.133 through 2013-14 .

sarge88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Fair Warning

I'd love Mark Streit on the Bruins. But that's assuming the Isles won't suck it up and continue their playoff push. They're only two points out of the 8th spot right now and three points out of the 6th spot. Still a realistic shot.

Fair Warning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:44 AM
CDJ

I'm personally excited about Torey Krug

CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Danton Heineken
Unlimited Pasta Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
I'm personally excited about Torey Krug
I am too. I hope he replaces Ference next season.

Danton Heineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:05 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Go back and check the boards. People were upset over the Bruins giving up colbourne in the kaberle deal. This is typical behavior of fans, they're teams prospects are always the best, if a former prospect busts it doesn't matter cause the next guy is much better than the guy before. It's great looking through gold colored glasses all the time but every now and then it good to take em off. Spooner is nothing special
How about you have a peek at those old posts, while I`m sure you will be able to find more than one or two fans who were upset, the overwhelming majority of those here, hands down, saw this as a trade the Bruins won.

While your correct that fan bases, NOT JUST THIS ONE, will judge prospects or evaluate our own probably a touch higher than an outsider would, I`d argue, there aren`t many fan bases out there who are as tough on prospects and how they are evaluated than Bruin fans tend to be for better or worse.

Have you actually watched Spooner play? I haven`t seen one game of his this season with Providence, I watched his Bruins debut, the Rookie game last season, and about 8 OHL contests, that`s it, and if you may be right that he isn`t "special" if by special a Crosby-like prospects but few are, I`ll wager there`s 29 other teams out there right now that would have little issue having a Spooner fill a spot that is missing from their AHL lineups, and arguably, he`d be in the NHL if he were in more than a couple organizations.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:06 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post

One could argue GM`s will also be asking for him as the starting point for a deal too

Old
03-18-2013, 11:07 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
In the know?

Another post furthering my belief that you haven`t seen him play once

Old
03-18-2013, 11:10 AM
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:

Lucic Krejci Vanek
Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Merlot
I'd do it. I'm no capologist but my guess is we could make it work.

03-18-2013, 11:12 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
Not sure how many Canadian posters here but my All-Time favorite Rental trade was 2 months of Bartolo Colon to the Montreal Expos for a Future Cy Young Winner still going strong, a 30/30 Gold glove & Silver slugging second baseman, and the same in CF. I would lol if Chia did a Koko, Spooner, and/or Knight rental and got reemed. I still think back at how many 3 years ago were ready to dump Brad '1 assist in 20 games' Marshmont.
I was one of those fans as you probably recall who was about as wrong involving a player as I`ve ever been.

Chia, if he were to snag an Iggy, and the B`s don`t win it all, cuz really, isn`t that what aquiring a pure rental is about, would be verbally slaughtered here.

Those same fans who claim they`d be "on board" with a move like that, would be the first, IMO, to hammer Chia for doing it if it the team didn`t win it all. There are far more examples of teams who won it all making "secondary moves" than there are of teams who made the big splash then won it, this organization is one who fits the bill of example #1 with Pevs/Kelly and Kaberle who wasn`t some massive aquisition but an important piece

Old
03-18-2013, 11:13 AM
ODAAT

Quote:

Lucic Krejci Vanek
Marchand Bergeron Seguin
Merlot
If for any other reason, we know Vanek is more than comfortable playing at the TD

Old
03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
Kaoz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
And Eberle, Colborne was one of the worst draft picks the Bruins made in a long time. At least everything turned out OK.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Chia, if he were to snag an Iggy, and the B`s don`t win it all, cuz really, isn`t that what aquiring a pure rental is about, would be verbally slaughtered here.
I don't know. I have always said that if he takes a chance it does not work out, I'm good with that. You don't win 'em all. As long as it is not an outright stupid trade that was a blunder from the second it was executed, he has rope to play with. I'd rather have him take a chance and fail than to sit pat and watch other teams gain an upper hand (generally speaking, I mean).

If Iginla were to come here and the Bruins don't win a Cup, and Spooner has a nice career up there, I'll live (to pick a hypothetical). Again, whether Iginla is the ideal addition or Spooner is the right price to pay, etc., etc., is open to debate. But I want Chia to be bold.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:20 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
I don't know. I have always said that if he takes a chance it does not work out, I'm good with that. You don't win 'em all. As long as it is not an outright stupid trade that was a blunder from the second it was executed, he has rope to play with. I'd rather have him take a chance and fail than to sit pat and watch other teams gain an upper hand (generally speaking, I mean).

If Iginla were to come here and the Bruins don't win a Cup, and Spooner has a nice career up there, I'll live (to pick a hypothetical). Again, whether Iginla is the ideal addition or Spooner is the right price to pay, etc., etc., is open to debate. But I want Chia to be bold.
You`d be in the minority, especially if, gawd forbid, it`s an early exit, the boards would shut down with fans PO`d about an early exit, and Chia giving up what I suspect would be a hefty package to get Iggy. It`s easy for us to sit here now, when it hasn`t happened and say "I`d be fine with it", not saying you can`t do it, but I`ll wager you`d be in the minority

Old
03-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Ogrim

The thought of trading Subban right now seems odd to me. Goalies usually take a long time to develop so his value has not had time to rise very much. I mean his value to the bruins is greater than to other teams with him beeing our round 1 pick.
IDK if that makes sense.

Ogrim is offline   Reply With Quote