HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

How about some love for Davis Payne?

Old
03-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Axl Rhoadz*

vCash: 500
How about some love for Davis Payne?

PP has looked pretty solid over the past 15 games....9th in the league right now. Kudos to Payne.

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:41 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

We seem to be less stagnant on the power play. A lot more movement and more creativity. I still wish they'd shoot more often, but I get that they're looking for a better shot rather than just throwing shots on net.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Movement with much different setups than I can remember from a Kings power play is always good. I'm used to seeing Kopitar hang out on the half-wall so it is interesting to see the team try to get him the puck more towards the slot and work in a play making capacity from there.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
We seem to be less stagnant on the power play. A lot more movement and more creativity. I still wish they'd shoot more often, but I get that they're looking for a better shot rather than just throwing shots on net.
It's more purposeful movement for sure; they have some set plays that open up shooting lanes, even if for a moment, due to constant repositioning of the D. They have this little sweet point-halfwall-highslot-point play that opens up not just shooting but passing options. It's beautiful!

If nothing else, there's no self-inflicted momentum killing going on unless they just can't get possession in the zone. The PP has much more 'purpose' and it's great to see.

The PK could use more work but I think it's just experience--our young D aren't the shot/lane-blockers Mitchell and Greene are, and our PK goaltending has been subpar, too; i'm sure it will come around

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The PP has drastically improved since pairing Muzzin and Voynov on the points with the regular top two forward lines up front on the PP units (with Doughty and Stoll on the 2nd pairing). Would prefer to see Martinez on the 2nd PP unit in Stoll's place though.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Ollie Weeks

I think Stoll has been pretty effective on the point, shockingly enough. He's keeping it simple and making smart handoffs rather than just blasting it every time. Probably a product if our newfound mobility.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:21 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I was a bit critical early on, but I think the poor results early were more to do with a lack of a training camp than anything else. At this point, I'm quite glad to have Payne on the coaching staff.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

I give them credit for putting Voynov and Muzzin on the first unit.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:38 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I said it back when we hired him, the guys is very very good and a "feather in our cap". It was just a matter of time and is only going to continue getting better.

From his hiring thread.
"This is an excellent hire and a real feather in our cap. Potential DS replacement down the road who is an innovator and a smart hockey guy. THIS is a very very smart hire".

Last edited by etherialone: 03-19-2013 at 01:54 PM.
etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:43 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
I give them credit for putting Voynov and Muzzin on the first unit.
Drew Doughty is no slouch, but these two guys are the best defensement the Kings have at moving the puck on the PP right now.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Drew Doughty is no slouch, but these two guys are the best defensement the Kings have at moving the puck on the PP right now.
Agreed, just think they have better shots and can get them through.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:21 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Having two point-men who can move both the puck and themselves while also capable of getting a shot on net makes all the difference. Doughty used to be able to do all of that, hopefully he can find that skill again and reclaim his spot on the first power play. But if not Muzzin and Voynov are doing a pretty damn good job right now.

BigBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:26 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Movement with much different setups than I can remember from a Kings power play is always good. I'm used to seeing Kopitar hang out on the half-wall so it is interesting to see the team try to get him the puck more towards the slot and work in a play making capacity from there.
Agree about the slot positioning being a good move. But seems like Kopi is still learning how to play in that situation. Hopefully he learns quick and makes our pp that much more effective b/c I anticpate teams adjusting to our new system soon.

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Whiskeypete

its the pairing of VV and Muzz on the blue line. they move the puck and make faster decisions. DD f's around with the puck to much, he is to indecisive. the fast reads and passes between VV and Muzz have now allowed the forwards to work different rotations down the half wall and in the slot area.

let's be honest, the PP struggled for ever, Kompon was the anti-christ.....suddenly DD is moved off the #1 unit and it clicks. what's the latest stat they flashed last night. it's something like 30% the past 20-30 PP's? what ever the conversion was it is well over the 20% benchmark a good PP is weighed against.

i agree also on getting Stoll off the #2 unit and putting AMart out there. Stoll has a cannon, but never finds the net from the blue line. hell he can't even hit the keeper and cause rebounds with that thing.

i'm not hating on DD, but let's be honest. suddenly having the two 'kids' back there and the PP explodes....

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:34 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

The 2nd unit should be Martinez and Doughty, not Stoll and Doughty. Other than that, I love the PP.

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
It should but Stoll has done pretty well on the PP of late (this is hard to believe, yet true). I wouldn't mess with it. At the moment the coaching staff has figured out how to get the absolute maximum out of Stoll, his level of play is pretty good.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote