HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

THN: Cody Hodgson due for breakout season in 2012-13

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Gerbe42
Hodgson 2 Vanek

vCash: 586
THN: Cody Hodgson due for breakout season in 2012-13

Quote:
With six games remaining, Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos has 55 goals and a legitimate shot at 60. Only two players have scored more in the past decade – Jonathan Cheechoo and Alex Ovechkin – and Stammer is still just 22 years old. Meanwhile, Tyler Seguin has taken over as Boston’s go-to scorer as a sophomore, leading the team with 61 points through 75 games. James Neal has been a revelation for the Penguins, nearly doubling his offensive production from last year and smashing his previous career high by 20 points. Carolina’s Jeff Skinner is on nearly the same points-per-game pace as last year’s Calder Trophy-winning season, despite missing 16 games to a concussion and two to suspension.

What do all these players have in common? They all train with Gary Roberts in the off-season.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that next year’s breakout player in the NHL will be Buffalo’s Cody Hodgson.

Not surprisingly, the newest Sabres weapon is also a client of ‘Scary’ Gary and whatever subterfuge has been out there in the past about Hodgson’s attitude can pretty much be tossed out the window based on the company he keeps in the summer. Simply put, Roberts does not mess around. What the former NHLer preaches is no less than a lifestyle decision, where players commit themselves to both rigorous workouts and nutrition rites involving organic food and the right kinds of it....

So don’t be surprised if history repeats itself with another Gary Roberts client next season
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...in-201213.html

Last edited by Chainshot: 03-28-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Please do not quote entire articles.
Old
03-28-2012, 04:24 PM
Evgeni Giroux

vCash: 500
Not to sound dumb or jump the gun but Hodgson will become a top 20 center in the NHL in the next 5 years. He has the total package, his only flaw is his first step which has come along way in the last couple of years, he is only 6' but is built thick so size is not an issue. I may get flamed but I will stand behind this.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:29 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
Not to sound dumb or jump the gun but Hodgson will become a top 20 center in the NHL in the next 5 years. He has the total package, his only flaw is his first step which has come along way in the last couple of years, he is only 6' but is built thick so size is not an issue. I may get flamed but I will stand behind this.
Top 20- Definitely agree. His hockey sense is unbelievable for someone so young. Just look at the Sedins, they are not fast by any stretch. What separates themselves apart from most is there play-making ability, hockey sense, and general sense of where the players are on the ice without looking. Might be a twin thing however. But I can see Cody putting up 65-70 points as soon as next year.

Old
03-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Top 20- Definitely agree. His hockey sense is unbelievable for someone so young. Just look at the Sedins, they are not fast by any stretch. What separates themselves apart from most is there play-making ability, hockey sense, and general sense of where the players are on the ice without looking. Might be a twin thing however. But I can see Cody putting up 65-70 points as soon as next year.
I see Hodgson as a legit 1 C and Ennis as our number 2 C, IMO our center ice position could use an elite player(unlikely) or a big center like Gaunce, Grigensons, Adam(needs to really work on defensive game and foot speed) ect..

Old
03-28-2012, 04:35 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Interesting article about Cody.

Know what else is interesting? That the article wasn't posted in the "General discussion about Cody Hodgson" thread.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:20 PM
McTank

An ennis-hodgsen 1-2 punch will be ridiculous 3 years from now. Has anyone told Derek to pack up yet?

Old
03-28-2012, 05:22 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Interesting article about Cody.

Know what else is interesting? That the article wasn't posted in the "General discussion about Cody Hodgson" thread.

Actually, it was posted there first

Old
03-28-2012, 05:25 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
An ennis-hodgsen 1-2 punch will be ridiculous 3 years from now. Has anyone told Derek to pack up yet?
we finally have center depth and people want roy gone, it kinda makes no sence to deal roy unless we have a replacement coming in which we do not.

Old
03-28-2012, 05:30 PM
McTank

Quote:
we finally have center depth and people want roy gone, it kinda makes no sence to deal roy unless we have a replacement coming in which we do not.
For next year I say we keep him but opening day 2013-14 I want him gone. I'd much rather give hodgsen/ennis top 6 time and trade Roy for center prospects or draft picks

Old
03-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
For next year I say we keep him but opening day 2013-14 I want him gone. I'd much rather give hodgsen/ennis top 6 time and trade Roy for center prospects or draft picks
buffalo only has a small window untill the trade deadline next season to deal Roy, I wouldnt mind if he were dealt but I dont think having 3 young centers is a good idea

Old
03-28-2012, 05:40 PM
McTank

Quote:
buffalo only has a small window untill the trade deadline next season to deal Roy, I wouldnt mind if he were dealt but I dont think having 3 young centers is a good idea
That's fair enough, in terms of a shot at the cup next year we may be better with Roy but I'm just looking long term since we are developing a nice young core

Old
03-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
And what if the Sabres are going into the playoffs next year as a top seed? You would still hang on to Roy until the deadline and then deal him for pieces? Or do you take three quality centers into the playoffs? I think the smart move, if you think you've got a chance, is to hold onto your UFAs in order to make a run.

I posted in another thread about Roy. If they move him this summer it's for an upgrade or because they sign a quality veteran center to plop behind Hodgson and Ennis. Most likely, they hold onto him through their playoff run next year, trade his rights for a small pick a week before July 1, and move on.

Old
03-28-2012, 08:25 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
And what if the Sabres are going into the playoffs next year as a top seed? You would still hang on to Roy until the deadline and then deal him for pieces? Or do you take three quality centers into the playoffs? I think the smart move, if you think you've got a chance, is to hold onto your UFAs in order to make a run.

I posted in another thread about Roy. If they move him this summer it's for an upgrade or because they sign a quality veteran center to plop behind Hodgson and Ennis. Most likely, they hold onto him through their playoff run next year, trade his rights for a small pick a week before July 1, and move on.
I never said I wanted to deal roy

Old
03-28-2012, 08:48 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Actually, it was posted there first
I know! That's the funny thing about it.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
On the surface, there's enough there for Sabres blog Sabre Noise to take a cursory glance at the production of the two men since the trade and call it - brace yourselves - a fleecing for Buffalo. Kassian's been toothless (both figuratively and literally) since arriving in Vancouver. Until his assist on March 30 bumped his point total to three, his production since the trade matched Cory Schneider's. Meanwhile, Hodgson has a much sexier eight points, all of which have come since being promoted to a line with Thomas Vanek eight games ago.

But the Canucks were well aware that Hodgson was light years ahead of Kassian offensively. At the end of February, Hodgson had 33 points to Kassian's 7. Coaching and management's concern was that, without some serious sheltering, Hodgson's defensive deficiencies would undermine his production and make Vancouver easier to play against in the playoffs.
Quote:
Since arriving in Buffalo 18 games ago, Hodgson has been on the ice for 15 Buffalo goals. However, he's been on the ice for 18 of the Sabres' 44 goals against. That's 41 per cent of them.

Worse, the Sabres have been outscored 13-7 at even-strength with Hodgson on the ice. He has an even plus-minus on the year - but he was a plus-8 when he left.
Quote:
Basically, Hodgson remains what he was when he left: a gifted offensive player whose skating and back checking problems would send the blood pressure of a defensive-minded coach like Alain Vigneault through the roof. Like the kids in Edmonton, Hodgson can score, but he can't yet outscore his defensive deficiencies, and he's not ready to star on a contender at this point.

Consider Hodgson's output the past week: with the Sabres' quest to make the playoffs hanging in the balance, Buffalo has lost two of three and nearly all three, surrendering 14 goals. Hodgson has been on the ice for nine of them. You can't tell me that's helpful right now.

All this said, Hodgson is undoubtedly contributing more than Zack Kassian, but let's not forget that Kassian isn't the player that replaced Hodgson on the third line.
Quote:
Thus, the Hodgson trade isn't quite the fleecing it appears to be - at least not yet. Heading into the playoffs, Mike Gillis was able to do what you do in the Legend of Zelda: turn a weak Link into something that can go up against the most powerful enemies in the land. And that's a win.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/h...679/story.html

Old
04-06-2012, 04:54 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
I see Hodgson as a legit 1 C and Ennis as our number 2 C, IMO our center ice position could use an elite player(unlikely) or a big center like Gaunce, Grigensons, Adam(needs to really work on defensive game and foot speed) ect..
You see Hodgson as the 1 and Ennis as the 2? Interesting. Honestly, I think Ennis is going to be a superstar in this league. I think he's just figured out how to play in this league and is going to do what Giroux did this year, next year. Ennis has played like a top 5 center in this league over the past month or two, and I don't see him falling off. Look at how good he's made Foligno and Stafford look, it's unbelievable what that kid has done. I really don't think he's getting enough credit.

Old
04-06-2012, 05:02 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
You see Hodgson as the 1 and Ennis as the 2? Interesting. Honestly, I think Ennis is going to be a superstar in this league. I think he's just figured out how to play in this league and is going to do what Giroux did this year, next year. Ennis has played like a top 5 center in this league over the past month or two, and I don't see him falling off. Look at how good he's made Foligno and Stafford look, it's unbelievable what that kid has done. I really don't think he's getting enough credit.
Totally agree. Ennis is going to be a star. If he was 3-4 inches taller he would be unstoppable with his speed. Hoping Ennis-Stafford-Foligno are our number one line for years to come! Would be sweet to get a Cody-Parise-Vanek line next year as our second line. One can dream!

Old
04-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I'm not drinking the kool-aid from either teams RAH-RAH contingent, but I'll be watching these guys play for another whatever amount of years and this debate will resurface plen-ty more times.

Old
04-06-2012, 05:13 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
Totally agree. Ennis is going to be a star. If he had 20-30 pounds of more muscle mass he would be unstoppable with his speed. Hoping Ennis-Stafford-Foligno are our number one line for years to come! Would be sweet to get a Cody-Parise-Vanek line next year as our second line. One can dream!
fixed it for you

Old
04-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I'll believe it when I see it. Enough hype, get the results done on the ice.

If I put out high expectations I'm disappointed, but with low ones you can't go wrong!

Old
04-06-2012, 07:59 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
If I put out high expectations I'm disappointed, but with low ones you can't go wrong!
That's what i've said about all the rookies or sophomores. But some boneheads expect way more than reality, then complain and whine when they don't meet those unrealistic expectations.

Old
04-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
He should become a very good player. I'm not sure he'll become that player next season. I do know it's easier for forwards to progress than defensemen. There is a possibilty, no doubt.

Old
04-07-2012, 06:49 AM
heartsabres*

Quote:
I will flame you. How does something come along way in the last couple of years when he is a rookie? Ya sure against boys but playing against men is when these statements should be made. Also I think you will see him a top 20 center in the next 2 years. If it takes him to 27 to be a top 20 center we are in trouble. So is Gary Roberts

Old
04-07-2012, 12:07 PM
rabi

until the talent level of this team is raised higher, I don't see Hodgson excelling...he looks like he's still upset about being traded here...

Old
04-07-2012, 12:30 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
until the talent level of this team is raised higher, I don't see Hodgson excelling...he looks like he's still upset about being traded here...
I don't agree with that at all. If you listen to his interviews, he sounds genuinely happy to be here, and he worked his butt off on most shifts, in my opinion. Where are you getting this from?

Closed Thread