HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nyquist off to a good start

Old
10-26-2012, 07:21 PM
HTT3*

vCash: 500
Nyquist off to a good start

Anyone else watching this kid this year? He looks like a star in the making with dekes like Datsyuk and his determination like Zetterberg.

How good will he be? He's excelled at every level he's played and just keeps amazing everyone. His goal tonight made my jaw drop.

He is scoring [6 pts in 5 GP rate, 6 pts last 2 gms] + a shootout goal in last two games. Unstoppable

Last edited by Fugu: 10-28-2012 at 03:12 AM. Reason: ... and title changed to stop the trolling
HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Gary83*

Lol. 4GP and 3 points. Am I missing something?

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 07:47 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
I think (Hoped) he meant he has 3 points in tonight's game. So that brings it up to 6 points in 5 games .

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 07:48 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
He has three points tonight so he's up to six points in five games, still a little short from 3 PPG.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 07:51 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I think (Hoped) he meant he has 3 points in tonight's game. So that brings it up to 6 points in 5 games .
I watched two games and both games he scored 3 points. He can't be contained.

Did he start off slow? I didn't get to see him... he has been unstoppable when I watch him

Old
10-26-2012, 07:53 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
I watched two games and both games he scored 3 points. He can't be contained.

Did he start off slow? I didn't get to see him... he has been unstoppable when I watch him
Keep watching, prove your hypothesis, record the results and publish your thesis on the matter.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:05 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Keep watching, prove your hypothesis, record the results and publish your thesis on the matter.
Nevertheless, 6 points in 4 periods in the AHL is beyond impressive.

Down play it all you want, but the kid is brilliant out there. Red Wings have players to fill rolls when Zetterberg/Datsyuk retire.

Edit, I think he also scored a shoot out goal last game that doesn't count towards his statistics.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Dont Hinder Jinder

vCash: 491
Quote:
Nevertheless, 6 points in 4 periods in the AHL is beyond impressive.

Down play it all you want, but the kid is brilliant out there. Red Wings have players to fill rolls when Zetterberg/Datsyuk retire.

Edit, I think he also scored a shoot out goal last game that doesn't count towards his statistics.
So, if he scores 3 points every game you watch. If you watch every game, he will score 3 points every time you watch

Nevertheless, huge fan of Nyquist (& Jurco for that matter), DRW scouts know what they are doing hope he can keep tearing up the AHL

Dont Hinder Jinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:30 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Just you apparently, 4 AHL games and the kid is fit to replace Dats and Zetterburg?
So you have never watched him, I gather... Yeah pretty sure he played a full AHL season last and some NHL games (you'd know this if you watched a little AHL hockey once in ahwile). Holland HARDLY EVER/NEVER puts AHL rookie kids that age in for NHL games.... Babcock put him on the first line with Datsyuk.
MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 10-27-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: ...
Old
10-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Craig Fischer
HFB Partner

I've been watching the game this evening, and there's no doubt Nyquist has NHL calibre talent but I feel like some peoples enthusiasm should be curbed, or more of the actual game should be watched and not just the scoresheet. I'm not saying he's good or bad, all I'm saying is the game itself is wide open (great defense is not being played) and to put things in perspective yes, Nyquist has 3 points, but Gragnani has 4.

Anyways, it's been a pretty fun game to watch.

Craig Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Gary83*

Horak leading the AHL with six goals in five games!!!

Fear not all, Flames have their Iginla replacement! And he's a center!!!!!

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:41 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Fischer View Post
I've been watching the game this evening, and there's no doubt Nyquist has NHL calibre talent but I feel like some peoples enthusiasm should be curbed, or more of the actual game should be watched and not just the scoresheet. I'm not saying he's good or bad, all I'm saying is the game itself is wide open (great defense is not being played) and to put things in perspective yes, Nyquist has 3 points, but Gragnani has 4.

Anyways, it's been a pretty fun game to watch.
Valid point except Nyquist did this last game... not to mention scored a nice shootout goal.

He looks like a player on a mission that nobody can contain. He showed flashes in the NHL last year where he was undressing NHL defensmen and making them look silly. He looked better in the NHL than Datsyuk did his rookie season... and that says something.

You could argue "yeah but Nyquist played with Datsyuk and made him look good", but remember, Datsyuk played with all-stars in Brett Hull and Luc Robatille his rookie season

Old
10-26-2012, 08:44 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 107
Quote:
So you have never watched him, I gather... Yeah pretty sure he played a full AHL season last and some NHL games (you'd know this if you watched a little AHL hockey once in ahwile). Holland HARDLY EVER/NEVER puts AHL rookie kids that age in for NHL games.... Babcock put him on the first line with Datsyuk.
I've probably seen him in more AHL games than you have tiger. Hes only played 4 games so far this season (not counting tonight) , and you were using that sample size to base your conclusion. MOD

Last edited by Fugu: 10-27-2012 at 12:43 PM. Reason: ...
InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:49 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
I've probably seen him in more AHL games than you have tiger. Hes only played 4 games so far this season (not counting tonight) , and you were using that sample size to base your conclusion. So instead of getting offended use your brain for about 4 seconds before typing in your mouth foaming response.
If you refuse to read what i wrote then I don't know what to say to you.

Old
10-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Crisp Breakout

The edited original post still makes my head spin...

Anyway, yes Nyquist looks pretty damn good, but the subtle comparisons to Datsyuk are ridiculous in my opinion. Yes, he can stickhandle well and is quite a thief in his own right, but not on the same level as Datsyuk. I also don't think he'll ever see the game as well as Datsyuk, which is not an insult by any stretch of the imagination. Top-6 talent? Yes. Top line talent? Very well might be. But Datsyuk level talent? I'd bet against it.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:50 PM
Leafidelity
#BudsAllDay

vCash: 1875
I hereby deem a 3 point night a Nyquist Explosion

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:52 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
You mean Kyle Jean.

Kid actually looks pretty good so far, never heard of him before I caught him in the last Whale game.
Jean is turning heads of NYR fans.

We always invite the kids that go on to progress elsewhere, (ie; Keith Kinkaid, Matt Read), but we do hit the jackpot sometimes (Ortmeyer, Girardi). Hopefully Jean follows the path of the latter two. His combination of size and skill makes him an intriguing prospect to follow.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 08:59 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
The edited original post still makes my head spin...

Anyway, yes Nyquist looks pretty damn good, but the subtle comparisons to Datsyuk are ridiculous in my opinion. Yes, he can stickhandle well and is quite a thief in his own right, but not on the same level as Datsyuk. I also don't think he'll ever see the game as well as Datsyuk, which is not an insult by any stretch of the imagination. Top-6 talent? Yes. Top line talent? Very well might be. But Datsyuk level talent? I'd bet against it.

There won't ever be another Datsyuk just like there will never be another Igor Larionov. But players have similarities.

If you are referring to Nyquist to Datsyuk now, then that isn't fair. Remember, Detroit people said "Datsyuk will develop into a solid 3rd line center, maybe even a 2nd liner!" his rookie season.

Looking back, Datsyuk showed skilled but nobody ever thought he'd be the player he is today. Nyquist looks as good or better than Datsyuk did his rookie season. What does that mean? Nobody knows. One thing we can all agree on, Nyquist will be a joy to watch for many years.

Old
10-26-2012, 09:08 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Seriously though, a lot of people giving him flack from all-corners. Nyquist played really well, I've seen worse threads.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2012, 11:26 PM
GoAwayDanCleary
DRWCC

Gus is a beast but he's never going to be near Datsyuk/Zetterberg talent wise (unless he outperforms his projections)

GoAwayDanCleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 241
Sam Gagner once had an 8 point night in the NHL.

GAGNER-SPLOSION!

Minnesota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:19 AM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
He's no Granlund

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 12:48 AM
MBauer

why , there is no problem with you making a nyquist thread but the way you did it was quite silly and over the top. Hes a very skilled player who will likely be a good top six player but nothing beyond that.

MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:04 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
He is scoring 6 points a game + a shootout goal in last two games. Unstoppable
MOD

That is quite the scoring pace.

Last edited by Fugu: 10-27-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: not needed, this isn't the lounge ;)
Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 01:12 AM
Fearless Leaf*

To be honest, I think both sides are reacting crazy over this.

I can tell, the OP meant, Nyquist has played GREAT the last 2 games, and for that, I whole heartedly agree with him. Nyquist has indeed looked very good at both ends of the rink, and his goal today was Datsyuk-like. I don't think he necessarily meant that Nyquist is 100% going to turn out to be Datsyuk/zetterberg hybrid. What he meant is that he displays dominance that is Datsyuk-lite, which he clearly did tonight, exceptional both defensively and offensively.

Now, I definitely think he took it a little hard by overreacting but some people were being straight-up

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote