HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Pit/col

Old
03-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

vCash: 500
Pit/col

This trade would be a Trade Deadline Day deal:

To Pittsburgh:
Cody McLeod

To Colorado:
Deryk Engelland

Pittsburgh's reason:
Pittsburgh adds some toughness and grit to the 4th line. Due to organizational depth, they can afford to part with a defensemen and Engelland becomes expendable. McLeod has 2 years remaining on his deal, so he becomes a long term fit for the Penguins, not just a rental. With the cap expected to drop next season, it will be tough for the Penguins to come to agreements with Dupuis, Cooke, Kennedy(RFA) and Jeffrey(RFA), not to mention larger raises with Malkin and Letang in the future. I believe the Pens let Cooke walk and McLeod becomes a cheaper fit and plays a similar role.

Colorado's reason:
Colorado can move McLeod due to the emergence of Bordeleau. Engelland brings back some of the loss in toughness/grit (but on the blue line) and would fill a need for Colorado. This would make more sense if they were to move a Zanon/O'Brien at the trade deadline as well. Engelland has another year remaining on his current contract at a very cheap price.

Is the value there? Seem reasonable? What are your thoughts?

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:47 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

value's fine, but if there's anything the avs don't need it's bottom pairing defensemen, our 2nd best defenseman this season got sent down to Lake Erie because we have too many (and because Sacco's an idiot)

falconski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:51 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

No. We are not trading Deryk Engelland. But, I am interested in Patrick Bordeleau.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:54 PM
PitHockey22

Don't know if it would benefit either side

Last edited by PitHockey22: 03-23-2013 at 02:32 PM.
PitHockey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:10 PM
BrickAHL
Not actually a brick

vCash: 50
No thanks, McLeod is good in his role and I would love to keep him as a 4th liner. The value is there but we already have so many guys on our defense who can play Engelland's role. We want to get rid of those guys, not add more of them.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:12 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitHockey22 View Post
What about something involving Jamie McGinn to Pittsburgh?
can't think of anything reasonable that would get it done. He's not untouchable, but it would have to be somebody just as young or younger and worth a top 6 winger. Pitt 1st+a middling prospect might work, but we've built our core around the 06 and 09 drafts, so I'd be hesitant there as we wouldn't get someone able to play in time for us to be competitive.

falconski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Nah, rather keep Cody. He's worth more to us than another depth guy on the blue line.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:26 PM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Nah, rather keep Cody. He's worth more to us than another depth guy on the blue line.
As a Penguins fan, I basically feel the same way. Engo is worth more to our defensive depth than a new 4th liner would be to our offensive depth.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:30 PM
Avs44

Value is fair, but pass. Rather have McLeod than another depth defensman.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Master Shake*

I dont see us dealing Engelland. Its not that he is amazing it is that he is a decent 2 way guy with size who can drop the gloves. We almost have to have him for the playoffs.

Im not sure Pitt makes any moves this year to be honest. Bennett really filled the single biggest void we have.

About the only move I could see us making would be something like Kennedy or Jeffrey and Niskanen

Master Shake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:02 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I'd rather have Cody McLeod than Engelland since the Pens D group is deeper than the forward group. It would be easier scratching Glass or Adams to have McLeod's size and toughness in the lineup than scratching a young stud D like Despres to get Engelland's size and toughness in the lineup. The Avs don't seem to be lacking depth quantity like Engelland as much as they lack high quality top 4 guys but that's just an observation from a far. I could be wrong. I don't see much point in them doing the deal.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:07 AM
BigBenSF*

Yes please.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:12 AM
NhlFan84

Would u guys be willing to take glass as a throw in? He will fill your void for your 4th line.

NhlFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:51 AM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
can't think of anything reasonable that would get it done. He's not untouchable, but it would have to be somebody just as young or younger and worth a top 6 winger. Pitt 1st+a middling prospect might work, but we've built our core around the 06 and 09 drafts, so I'd be hesitant there as we wouldn't get someone able to play in time for us to be competitive.
Matt Niskanen + Prospect/Tyler Kennedy + a first round draft pick for Jamie McGinn + Patrick Bordeleau.

I think that Jamie McGinn could have a great chemistry with Sidney Crosby. Patrick Bordeleau adds size/toughness to the line-up.

Fowards:

Chris Kunitz/Jamie McGinn- Sidney Crosby - Jamie McGinn/Chris Kunitz

Beau Bennett - Evgeni Malkin - James Neal

Matt Cooke - Brandon Sutter - Pascal Dupuis

Patrick Bordeleau - Joe Vitale - Dustin Jeffrey

Defensemen:

Paul Martin - Brooks Orpik

Simon Despres - Kris Letang

Robert Bortuzzo - Deryk Engelland

Healthy scratches: Tanner Glass, Craig Adams and Mark Eaton.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Matt Niskanen + Prospect/Tyler Kennedy + a first round draft pick for Jamie McGinn + Patrick Bordeleau.

I think that Jamie McGinn could have a great chemistry with Sidney Crosby. Patrick Bordeleau adds size/toughness to the line-up.

Fowards:

Chris Kunitz/Jamie McGinn- Sidney Crosby - Jamie McGinn/Chris Kunitz

Beau Bennett - Evgeni Malkin - James Neal

Matt Cooke - Brandon Sutter - Pascal Dupuis

Patrick Bordeleau - Joe Vitale - Dustin Jeffrey

Defensemen:

Paul Martin - Brooks Orpik

Simon Despres - Kris Letang

Robert Bortuzzo - Deryk Engelland

Healthy scratches: Tanner Glass, Craig Adams and Mark Eaton.
You know as well as I do that coach Bylsma isn't scratching Craig Adams for Joe Vitale, Dustin Jeffrey or even Patrick Bordeleau if the Penguins were to acquire him.

McGinn is an intriguing option though. I wouldn't be against acquiring him. I agree the pieces you mention probably would be in play.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I'd rather have Cody McLeod than Engelland since the Pens D group is deeper than the forward group. It would be easier scratching Glass or Adams to have McLeod's size and toughness in the lineup than scratching a young stud D like Despres to get Engelland's size and toughness in the lineup. The Avs don't seem to be lacking depth quantity like Engelland as much as they lack high quality top 4 guys but that's just an observation from a far. I could be wrong. I don't see much point in them doing the deal.
This is correct.

If we were to inquire or be courted by Pittsburgh, we'd not be looking for any defenders that are not in your young prospects category. Maata would interest me personally.

Obviously, you're not going to move any of them for someone like Cody McLeod. We just don't see much reason to lose a valuable (relatively speaking) grinder like Cody (whom we re-signed over the summer to a three year deal) for an asset that would be redundant on our current team, regardless of whether he may or may not force a pylon like Zanon off the roster.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:25 PM
MikeC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
This is correct.

If we were to inquire or be courted by Pittsburgh, we'd not be looking for any defenders that are not in your young prospects category. Maata would interest me personally.

Obviously, you're not going to move any of them for someone like Cody McLeod. We just don't see much reason to lose a valuable (relatively speaking) grinder like Cody (whom we re-signed over the summer to a three year deal) for an asset that would be redundant on our current team, regardless of whether he may or may not force a pylon like Zanon off the roster.
Maata has everything the Avs are looking for. LHD and has all the tool to be an excellent top 4. Excellent defensive play and has some offensive potential.

MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

The OP's deal makes absolutely no sense for the Avs, Cody is a great 4th liner (hell he didn't look out of place on the 3rd line this year) who can fight, hit, agitate, provide leadership to our young players, is decent at actually playing hockey and he can kill penalties.

As for McGinn, he's off limits barring an offer that would blows Avs socks off, Sherman targeted him for years and now that he finally got him and he looks good on the Duchene line I really doubt they trade him.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:49 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Thing about Engelland is his type (legit 3rd pairing D who doubles as an enforcer and makes almost nothing) is hard to find, useful and, ultimately, not worth all that much in a trade. His occasional scratches are as a result of depth and matchups, not punishment.

It's not that this trade is lopsided (it's not), but I'm not certain it makes Pittsburgh better.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Surely you jest. If anyone gets scratched with the addition of McLeod, it would be Vitale/Jeffrey. Only way we avoid that scenario is if Glass and/or Adams was part of the package going the other way.

I'd personally rather keep Engelland. Honestly, he's good enough to play 13 to 15 minutes a night, plays physical, and is legitimately one of the league heavyweights. All on a ridiculously low salary.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:35 PM
stoff

Might be fair value wise, but as far as a Colorado perspective(I'm an Edmonton fan so i'm going by what i saw) they don't need depth, physical dmen. They have plenty already in their lineup(Wilson, O'Brien, Zanon, O'Byrne). They need quality top 4 puck movers. Which makes the demotion of Barrie even more puzzling.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:40 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Zanon and McLeod for 3rd round picks?

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:51 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Zanon and McLeod for 3rd round picks?
Hunwick for a conditional 7th?

IWantSakicAsMyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Might be fair value wise, but as far as a Colorado perspective(I'm an Edmonton fan so i'm going by what i saw) they don't need depth, physical dmen. They have plenty already in their lineup(Wilson, O'Brien, Zanon, O'Byrne). They need quality top 4 puck movers. Which makes the demotion of Barrie even more puzzling.
The lord (Sacco) works in mysterious ways.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Anderson55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
No. We are not trading Deryk Engelland. But, I am interested in Patrick Bordeleau.
haha in what world is deryk engelland an untouchable, because its not in this one. he would absolutely be moved in the right deal

I expect more from a pens fan from my home town lol

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote