HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrej Sustr to sign very soon?

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
As a Pens fan, this player has Philly written all over it and im not a fan of it.
What would make it choose going to the Flyers over other teams?

Old
03-19-2013, 11:25 AM
KovalSNIPE

vCash: 500
I would kill for him to sign with the Devils. Even though he doesn't have ridiculous potential, and we have too many defensive prospects to begin with and defenseman in general, his size and game are too good to pass up. Please sign with us!!

Old
03-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
Doubt the Leafs would be interested due to the logjam on D.

Looks like he'll be a player. Why is DeKeyser so much better?
Logjam or not, everyone is going to try and sign this player. While he's more likely to sign with a club that doesn't have that logjam, that's not going to prevent clubs from going after him.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
03-19-2013, 03:17 PM
facelessjoe1990

contract length and cost?

How long and how much do you think he will get? If the leafs want him can they get him?

Old
03-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1990 View Post
How long and how much do you think he will get? If the leafs want him can they get him?
Whoever signs him will be signing him to an ELC. That means 2 years and a $925k (+bonuses) salary.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:27 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
The Penguins have a log jam at defense, where as the Flyers are loaded with bums like Foster and Gervais. He can step right in.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:29 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

I would like the Sabres to have two Andrej's, and two 6'8 giants.

Won't happen though.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:10 PM
ChoseLa

I'd like him on the Habs, but if he wants to have an NHL spot ready for him i don't think it's the best situation for him, he'd have to play over Diaz, Bouillon, Subban, Markov, Gorges, Emelin or Tinordi, all solid and responsible players (less so for Tinordi as he have only one game in the NHL but he played great).

His size is greatly needed but since we're on a very good season i don't see the Habs taking the risk.

If he sees himself as a guy who needs to play in the AHL first, it could be a great fit since all our D prospect are small except Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:30 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Flyers can pretty much guarantee him playing time and maybe even top 4 playing time off the bat. A good young core could also draw him in.

Not saying we have the edge or anything, just that I could see him signing here.

Old
03-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Petes2424

Does anyone actually believe he's ready to play in the NHL? He might get a couple of games like Krug did last year but how's that working out? Dekeyser is probably the only D that will legitimately play a role in the NHL over the next month or so. That's not even cemented.

All you have to do is look at the drafted college players signing their ELC right now. They're being assigned to AHL clubs. Now, being a FA gives you a little more wiggle room when negotiating your deal. Boston promised Krug they would keep him up with the big team for the rest of last season. You might see something like that. Limited playing time to get them signed. Then off to the AHL next season.

There's no Justin Schultz in this group. Dekeyser is a legit defensive prospect but even he will need time transitioning to the pro game. He unlike others though, will probably not be sent down until the AHL playoffs or at all.... this season

Old
03-19-2013, 04:59 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Does anyone actually believe he's ready to play in the NHL? He might get a couple of games like Krug did last year but how's that working out? Dekeyser is probably the only D that will legitimately play a role in the NHL over the next month or so. That's not even cemented.

All you have to do is look at the drafted college players signing their ELC right now. They're being assigned to AHL clubs. Now, being a FA gives you a little more wiggle room when negotiating your deal. Boston promised Krug they would keep him up with the big team for the rest of last season. You might see something like that. Limited playing time to get them signed. Then off to the AHL next season.

There's no Justin Schultz in this group. Dekeyser is a legit defensive prospect but even he will need time transitioning to the pro game. He unlike others though, will probably not be sent down until the AHL playoffs or at all.... this season
I don't think he's ready, but some player will want anyway to have a dip in the NHL even if they never played pro, if that's what he's looking for some teams can offer him that, like Ottawa with Da Costa.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:20 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Don't understand how an undrafted college free agent can demand playing time at the NHL level without even playing a single game in the NHL

Old
03-19-2013, 05:25 PM
IComeInPeace

This kids going to be a lot closer to Hal Gill than he ever will be to Zdeno Chara.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:26 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IComeInPeace View Post
This kids going to be a lot closer to Hal Gill than he ever will be to Zdeno Chara.
Nothing wrong with being Hal Gill. He had a good NHL career and outperformed a lot of higher draft picks.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Don't understand how an undrafted college free agent can demand playing time at the NHL level without even playing a single game in the NHL
"Demand" might be the wrong word, but if more than two teams are offering the same exact contract, what's wrong with considering the likelihood of getting immediate playing time as a factor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
The vast, gaping hole at RD on our blue line?

They've got a nice international contingent, and their top goalie prospect played (briefly) at UNO, so there's a connection, but I don't think the Flyers are favorites by any stretch.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Nothing wrong with being Hal Gill. He had a good NHL career and outperformed a lot of higher draft picks.
Especially when whatever team lands him won't have to give any assets to do so.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Because he is obviously a lot better now than when he was draft-eligible. This isn't new, it happens a lot and has been going on for a long time.

We're just more aware of it now because of media advantages.

Besides, he's far more developed than next year's first rounders, save for probably 3-5.

And as for the demanding playing time in the NHL part, that's just simple economics 101.

Old
03-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
He won't have to demand it. There will be teams that offer him immediate NHL playing time as an incentive to sign with them.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
He won't have to demand it. There will be teams that offer him immediate NHL playing time as an incentive to sign with them.
I think the more interesting question is, how can anybody predict whether Sustr will be ready to be an NHL regular next season? I understand that teams will offer those contracts in a second, but it's always seemed odd to me that players buy GMs' promises. Is it written in the contract somewhere that the 2013-2014 season must be spent in the NHL or something?

Old
03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Well, Rangers might be able to offer him a chance to win the #6 spot THIS season if he can play.

Haven't really heard where this kid wanted to sign yet.
Edmonton . He likes the youth movement there and feels it is his best chance to play . Sorry NYR to take another D man from you guys but you are already stacked .

Old
03-19-2013, 06:14 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I think the more interesting question is, how can anybody predict whether Sustr will be ready to be an NHL regular next season? I understand that teams will offer those contracts in a second, but it's always seemed odd to me that players buy GMs' promises. Is it written in the contract somewhere that the 2013-2014 season must be spent in the NHL or something?
I don't know if he can get that guaranteed in his contract but he can get paid like one if he signs a 1 way contract.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Edmonton . He likes the youth movement there and feels it is his best chance to play . Sorry NYR to take another D man from you guys but you are already stacked .
I could see it. Once they get rid of Whitney, there's bound to be some spots open.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I don't know if he can get that guaranteed in his contract but he can get paid like one if he signs a 1 way contract.
I was under the impression that guys like Sustr and DeKeyser can only sign entry-level deals with the same restrictions as rookies. Am I mistaken?

Old
03-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
The Penguins have a log jam at defense, where as the Flyers are loaded with bums like Foster and Gervais. He can step right in.
We might have a lot of players who could play for us or who are have their rights held by us but we could easily move one or two if needs be.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:43 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I was under the impression that guys like Sustr and DeKeyser can only sign entry-level deals with the same restrictions as rookies. Am I mistaken?
Matt Read signed a 1 way contract with the Flyers coming out of college two years ago. He was 24 at the time of the deal so I don't know if age has anything to do with it?

Closed Thread