HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XXXVI

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 01:31 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Meh, not a fan of that winger depth. I'd like us to acquire Jagr/Iginla/Gaborik/Pominville/anyone, even if only for this season.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:34 AM
aandbreatheme

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Meh, not a fan of that winger depth. I'd like us to acquire Jagr/Iginla/Gaborik/Pominville/anyone, even if only for this season.
Well depends on what we have to give up, especially if it's only for "this season."

Old
03-21-2013, 01:35 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
I think Jagr said he wanted to play in Canada. Montreal brushed him off(presumably they thought they were tanking this season), but I think we have a decent chance at being on his wish list. To be honest I'd much rather go after Jagr than Iginla if the asking price on Iggy is something like Jensen + 1st +.

And people are writing AV off way too soon. Wait until he has a chance with a fully healthy roster before looking to dump him.
If Babcock is available.

AV goes.

Babcock is what this team needs.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:37 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by andbreatheme View Post
Well depends on what we have to give up, especially if it's only for "this season."
True. But I'd like to think there's at least someone out there that Gillis can hammer out a deal that makes sense for us out there.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
If Sestito is out for the game as well, we're going to need an extra forward. I'd like to see the Canucks claim Boychuk if they can - if not, hopefully recall one of Jensen or Archibald from Chicago, although the Canucks beat writers were advocating Andrew Gordon. Urgh.
Well apparently it was down to Gordon or Schroeder for the last callup.

As for Jagr, he would be a nice addition, although what is the price.

I would do 3rd + Connaution. But He's a rental that we won't re-sign so I don't know if he is really worth anything more at this point.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:39 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
If Babcock is available.

AV goes.

What this team needs is a fully healthy lineup before we start playing the blame game.

I'm still on board keeping AV at the very least until the end of this season.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:40 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Well apparently it was down to Gordon or Schroeder for the last callup.

As for Jagr, he would be a nice addition, although what is the price.

I would do 3rd + Connaution. But He's a rental that we won't re-sign so I don't know if he is really worth anything more at this point.
I'd do a third, and make it a 2nd cond. on us making the SCF. If we can't win the cup after making it to the SCF twice in 3 years....

Old
03-21-2013, 01:42 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
I'd do a third, and make it a 2nd cond. on us making the SCF. If we can't win the cup after making it to the SCF twice in 3 years....
Yeah I would be down for that.

Quote:
What this team needs is a fully healthy lineup before we start playing the blame game.

I'm still on board keeping AV at the very least until the end of this season.
I don't think Babcock will be available till the offseason anyways.

But at which point, if Babcock is ever made available. We jump at that. Nothing against AV but he is better, and he would bring in a new voice and fresh motivation.

After seeing what he has manged to do with Detriot over the years despite losing alot of key talent, I would love to see him with the Sedins and co.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:45 AM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
I am already betting if jagr is available he go back to pens and play with Crosby.....

Crosby as your center or Henrik sedin?

Old
03-21-2013, 01:53 AM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
I am already betting if jagr is available he go back to pens and play with Crosby.....

As much as I want to see Jagr in a Canucks jersey, that would be pretty amazing to watch as a hockey fan.

Old
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Jagr would be a treat to watch with Crosby. I remember rumblings of Jagr going back to Philadelphia, that's if Philadelphia is in a position to make the playoffs of course. Giroux and Jagr were magic.

Old
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:

Ryan Kesler actually.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:56 AM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Iginla seems like the most realistic option to me. We could get a few more years out of him and he'd be invaluable as a mentor and a leader on this team. Plus how hard would this team play to get him a Cup? Even though some say he's in decline (personally I think he just needs to get the hell out of Calgary) he'd be perfect on Kesler's wing and a great mentor to Kassian.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:14 AM
roach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Iginla seems like the most realistic option to me. We could get a few more years out of him and he'd be invaluable as a mentor and a leader on this team. Plus how hard would this team play to get him a Cup? Even though some say he's in decline (personally I think he just needs to get the hell out of Calgary) he'd be perfect on Kesler's wing and a great mentor to Kassian.
I don't want ANY old fogeys on this team.

If we're giving away any young prospects, I want young prospects back.

We cannot go from young to old right now, if anything we need to start trading our older pieces for younger ones.
Sustainable management. I don't believe in the idea of "all-in".

Old
03-21-2013, 02:17 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Right up until people star freaking out about paying a 35-40 point guy 5.5m and the Canucks run short on cap space.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:22 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:

I think it would be great for symmetry to see Jagr back winning a cup for the Penguins (assuming the nucks are out)

Old
03-21-2013, 02:22 AM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Right up until people star freaking out about paying a 35-40 point guy 5.5m and the Canucks run short on cap space.
You think Iginla would become a 35-40 point guy? Even now in his "decline" on a trainwreck of a team he's still putting up respectable offensive numbers.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:29 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
So they upgrade one of their generic goalies to Kipper and all it costs them is a playoff-team 1st? That's not a bad deal. Toronto is probably a playoff team without the deal anyway, worst case, Kipper is an experienced backup.
$5.833m cap hit this year and next. All this backup will cost is a first and another backup. Worst case seems fine.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:19 AM
DJOpus

Is Dan Boyle actually available. If he is, do we want him?

It's a little tough because he's a pretty perfect fit for us (RHD, PP quarterback, you could argue he's a "franchise defenseman" he's been voted one of the top 4 defenseman in the league twice) but his cap hit is $6.7M so we'd have to re-structure our d to fit him in without gutting our forward ranks.

If you bring in a guy like Boyle this season you'd probably have to see Ballard + Edler/Bieksa gone by the time next season starts...hopefully for a young two-way top 6 centre.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:26 AM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
Is Dan Boyle actually available. If he is, do we want him?

It's a little tough because he's a pretty perfect fit for us (RHD, PP quarterback, you could argue he's a "franchise defenseman" he's been voted one of the top 4 defenseman in the league twice) but his cap hit is $6.7M so we'd have to re-structure our d to fit him in without gutting our forward ranks.

If you bring in a guy like Boyle this season you'd probably have to see Ballard + Edler/Bieksa gone by the time next season starts...hopefully for a young two-way top 6 centre.
I think all 30 teams in the NHL would love this guy. He is just one of those players. Honestly the Boyle+ for Gaborik proposals that have been tossed around make too much sense. Especially considering SJ was in on Nash----> Gaborik. And the expressed need NYR has being a PP quarter back/top 4 d-man. Anyway, I'd offer up K-Conn and a 1st. But I think our 1st could very will be in another deal for a much more pressing need.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:30 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
You think Iginla would become a 35-40 point guy? Even now in his "decline" on a trainwreck of a team he's still putting up respectable offensive numbers.
That was for Grabo on the 3rd line.

As for Iginla, wait until the season is over. I don't feel like fixing Calgary with what they are asking. Roy + Jagr combined would come cheaper.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Jagr Kesler Kassian/Higgins
Raymond Roy Hansen
Lappy Schroeder Higgins/Kassian
Wiese

mmmmm tasty

Last edited by me2: 03-21-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old
03-21-2013, 03:41 AM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
I think all 30 teams in the NHL would love this guy. He is just one of those players. Honestly the Boyle+ for Gaborik proposals that have been tossed around make too much sense. Especially considering SJ was in on Nash----> Gaborik. And the expressed need NYR has being a PP quarter back/top 4 d-man. Anyway, I'd offer up K-Conn and a 1st. But I think our 1st could very will be in another deal for a much more pressing need.
I have our needs in order:

1) Centre who carry the 2nd PP unit (ideal = Ribeiro)
2) RHD PP quarterback (ideal = Boyle)
3) RW veteran who can pass (ideal = Iginla/Jagr)

The problem is, all of these guys have big tickets and unless we have LTIR (Booth?) or move salaries (Ballard?) we can't really fit more than one, so I say centre is a priority.

Old
03-21-2013, 03:53 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
I have our needs in order:

1) Centre who carry the 2nd PP unit (ideal = Ribeiro)
2) RHD PP quarterback (ideal = Boyle)
3) RW veteran who can pass (ideal = Iginla/Jagr)

The problem is, all of these guys have big tickets and unless we have LTIR (Booth?) or move salaries (Ballard?) we can't really fit more than one, so I say centre is a priority.
We don't need Boyle.

The only thing I would classify as a "Need" is another center. a 3rd line center.

And preferably one that is 2nd or 2nd/3rd line calibre.

Aside from that, another Winger would be nice, but not a need, and I don't think we need another defenseman either, Edler and Garrison are perfectly fine on our PP.

So to me, the only pressing need is a 3C, and it is a dire need.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:28 AM
TheDiver*

Quote:
If Babcock is available.

AV goes.

I didn't know Mike Babcock could play centre.

If you take any coach in the league, and give him one bonafide NHL centre (Henrik Sedin) who can play top 9 for an entire season, you are either setting him up to be fired, or he is appearing on an episode of fear factor.

When Babcock won the cup he had Datsyuk, Franzen, Filpulla, Draper and Darren Helm at Centre. Oh, and Zetterberg played centre too.

Compare that to what Mike Gillis has assembled this season...

Babcock would come here and on the first day in his new office Gillis would say "I've assembled a great group for you. We knew Kesler would be hurt after 3 surgeries in two offseasons, so we made some plans. So whod'ya like on the 2nd line coach, Ebbett, Schroeder or Lapierre??"

Babcock would either cry, beg Ken Holland for his old job back, or take Ryan Kesler to a faith healer and hope for a miracle.

Mike Babcock is not what this team needs.

If there's chicken poop in a bucket, neither a beginner cook nor a 5 star chef will be able to turn it into chicken salad.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:13 AM
Pseudonymous

another day of waking up and coming on here and seeing no trade made. ugh

Closed Thread