HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XXXVI

Closed Thread

Old
03-22-2013, 04:30 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
I don't see Washington being a player for Luongo any more. Holtby has been very good.
You are throwing around the term 'very good' quite loosely if I don't say so myself.

Holtby has be consistently inconsistent.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:33 PM
mrbitterguy

if gillis trades schroeder for a defensive third line center i am going to be pissed. as this year and last clearly show there is a place for him on the team because we can't rely on kesler to center the second line for a whole season. yeah he's not the prototypical 3rd line center you want, and he's not a bonafide second liner yet but he's a useful player and clearly has a future in the nhl imo. the canucks have such brutal depth for centers with offensive skills that removing one should be a firing offense. i wasn't upset about trading cody away but there wasn't any replacement for his skills at that position brought in and until the team restocks the cupboard with some offense schroeder should be untouchable.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:35 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
The trouble is, it's not 5.25, it's 6.083 (Sedin Money). For a guy who has steadily dropped in production, can't defend at at $6m level etc.

Not a fan of Johansson, feel he is overrated a ton on HF.

Edler is better than Green, and cheaper....what's the incentive for the swap? That they'll take Lu for Johansson and Forsberg?

Ribeiro gives us a bigger impact player now, which is what we want + Forsberg for the future.

Vancouver IMO is giving the two best players up, and not getting adequately compensated unless you think Washington holds onto a top 3 pick (with goaltending they will most certainly be better).

I hate the proposal reds81. I think it's really bad.
That's fine cause it's your opinion but I don't think so.

I thought about including Ribeiro but coming from a Washington standpoint, you make this trade only if you think you can make the playoffs this year which is why they would want to keep him.

Johansson can act as a versatile forward either at centre or on the wing. It atleast gives you options.

Green's production has been down yes, but he could also do with a change in scenery and do wonders.

It's also not like Edler has helped his case this year based on his play and since there are rumours of him having back issues, the Canucks may want to capitalize on his value now rather than later when his NTC kicks in.

Both are similar in age (Edler is a year younger), but it's about changing the dynamic of the team.

I also think Roberto + 2013 1st (hopefully later) is more than offset by Forsberg + 2013 1st (Potentially Top 5 in a deep draft).

This trade is about now and the future.

It doesn't mean Gillis couldn't complete other moves in conjunction. It jsut gives the team a shakeup and more options going forward.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Catamarca Livin

Edler is worth alot, but not sure why we are trading him as we need him as well. You could argue for a Jack Johnson for Jeff Carter trade but Edler for basically futures is not ideal for a team wanting to win now. I think Edler is better that Jack Johnson so it should be a good center on a good contract if we thought moving him was necessary. No likely names come to mind. Mike Richards, David Backes would be the type of players that would represent fair value to me. I like strength down the middle so i probably would do those trades but none of the teams involved are looking to trade the pieces involved.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Momesso

Ok, don't make many proposals but thoughts on these two with our favorite trading partner?

Campbell
Goc

for either:

Luongo
1st
Price (or KCon)
*Ballard gets waived

or

Schneider
Ballard
2nd

Ballard was good in Florida, albeit under a different coach.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:46 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Jeff Halpern's on waivers. He's a center ($700k) with a lot of experience. Given our dearth of options down the middle right now, think there's a chance the Canucks look at him?
I'd love to take a flyer on him, at the very least...as a useful band-aid. He's bound to be better than some of the flotsam we've got in the lineup right now.

Not sure he makes it to us though. I'd be upset if he goes by us and Gillis doesn't put in a claim at all.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
Edler is worth alot, but not sure why we are trading him as we need him as well. You could argue for a Jack Johnson for Jeff Carter trade but Edler for basically futures is not ideal for a team wanting to win now. I think Edler is better that Jack Johnson so it should be a good center on a good contract if we thought moving him was necessary. No likely names come to mind. Mike Richards, David Backes would be the type of players that would represent fair value to me. I like strength down the middle so i probably would do those trades but none of the teams involved are looking to trade the pieces involved.
Edler + Schroeder
for
Couturier + Talbot + Philly 1st

Old
03-22-2013, 06:25 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
I rarely make proposals but here we go:

B. Campbell
S. Mathias

For

R. Luongo
M. Raymond
K. Connauton

Cap wise it's fairly balanced. I don't believe Raymond will be affordable for the Canucks this off season and I would rather address a need at center than lose him for nothing in the off season. I don't have to tell you what Campbell would bring to this team, just look at Garrisons gaudy numbers last year and imagine what our PP would look like with those two and the twins. Canucks may have to throw in a pick as well but I believe they could get a deal done with Raymond in the range of 4m per season before the year is out.

Flame away, I love hearing about what an idiot I am. : )

Old
03-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Linden*
[hello] :)

first off, I don't think it's a bad proposal, so don't misconstrued my criticisms with me thinking it is bad.

Raymond/Connauton don't hold a ton of value (with Raymond be a FA and all and Connauton, well, being Connauton) so I'm assuming the deal is sort of like Raymond and K-Conn for Mathias and depending on his contract situation (too lazy to look up ) would be about fair value

Now let's get to the juicy part, Campbell for Luongo, I think the value is fair, but I think there are two things that might get in the way.

1) Campbell makes 7 mill a year and puts us in a worse cap situation than we were in before
2) I don't know how much of a need there is for Lu in Flordia cause of Markstrom performing well and their lack of cup aspirations this year (and prob next year for that matter).

I think you gauged the value correctly, but feel that there could be a couple problems that would stop it from ever coming to fruition (other than it being proposed by a fan and not a GM )

Old
03-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Tiranis

If they acquire Lu, they will want to keep Campbell. A deal around their prospects (+ one NHL forward) makes more sense to me.

Old
03-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Virtanev
★★★

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
If they acquire Lu, they will want to keep Campbell. A deal around their prospects (+ one NHL forward) makes more sense to me.
I know this has been shot down numerous times by Panthers fans, but man if Gillis could somehow get Bjugstad I'd be over the moon. The kids gonna be a player. Something like Bjugstad+Mueller/Goc is something I'd easily take for Lu.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Momesso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I had suggested Campbell going the other way because perhaps the Panthers do not have the cap room (internally) to keep both. Assuming they re-sign their RFAs and bring on a top pick.

Campbell can play the right side and would instantly add a top-end PMD to this group - which is, IMO, its single biggest need and only real hole while healthy.

Anyhow, one can dream.....

Old
03-22-2013, 07:38 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

I cant believe the attention Goc is getting. Higgins was a better player then him when we got him. We shouldn't give any more to get Goc then we did for Higgins.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Virtanev
★★★

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
I cant believe the attention Goc is getting. Higgins was a better player then him when we got him. We shouldn't give any more to get Goc then we did for Higgins.
Have you seen Goc play? I'm guessing you haven't. No he isn''t gonna provide "secondary scoring" Per say, but he's not only good on the FO dot, he also can kill penalties and defend and shutdown top players. This guys is not far of from pre eyes injury Malhotra. I'm being dead serious.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:49 PM
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
I know this has been shot down numerous times by Panthers fans, but man if Gillis could somehow get Bjugstad I'd be over the moon. The kids gonna be a player. Something like Bjugstad+Mueller/Goc is something I'd easily take for Lu.
From my own viewing of Bjugstad, his speed and skating looks terrible.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:56 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

If Bjugstad was 6'2 would people even care?

Old
03-22-2013, 07:59 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
I had suggested Campbell going the other way because perhaps the Panthers do not have the cap room (internally) to keep both. Assuming they re-sign their RFAs and bring on a top pick.

Campbell can play the right side and would instantly add a top-end PMD to this group - which is, IMO, its single biggest need and only real hole while healthy.

Of Campbell on D and Gordon and Ebbett as our full time 2nd line wingers.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:59 PM
keslerburrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Probably not.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Soups On

This got lost in the trade deadline thread and I would like some sort of response to it. So if you guys/gals wouldn't mind

Assuming Booth is done until the playoffs
Trades:

Vancouver
Jon Blum

Nashville
3rd 2013 + Connauton

Vancouver
3rd 2013 + 4th 2014

Washington/Tampa
Ballard

Vancouver
Derek Brassard

Columbus
2nd 2013 + Anton Rodin OR 1st 2014

CLB fans were really happy with the 1st but I think the 2nd is enough

Without Kesler

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Burrows - Brassard - Higgins
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Sestito - Lapierre - Weise
Pino

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Blum
Alberts
Barker

Schneider
Luongo

With Kesler

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Schroeder/Brassard - Kesler - Higgins
Raymond - Schroeder/Brassard - Hansen
Weise - Lapierre - Kassian
Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Blum
Alberts

Schneider
Luongo

What I like about getting Blum is that it allows the team to roll 3 excellent pairings, each with an offensive puckmover (Bieksa, Edler, Blum), a defensive stalwart (Hamhuis,Garrison, Tanev) and there's a capable right hand shot on each line.

Brassard gives us a 2nd/3rd line center and he'll be one of the more cheaper ones. He's a playmaker and if he or Schroeder can be as effective as they are at center playing wing, then Kesler will finally have a bonafide playmaker on his lines.

Of course the forwards are very interchangeable, the beauty of depth.

In the offseason, let one of Raymond or Higgins walk, retain Booth if the cap allows it, if not trade him and deal Luongo for youth during the draft.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Hollywood Burrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
panthers fans/usa hockey nerds have been defending his college season, I heard he took a bit of a step back. (or sideways)

I hope we don't make anymore deals with florida. something about the influx of players from a losing organization doesn't feel right, spiritually.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:59 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post

Campbell is an excellent player but it would be extremely difficult to fit him in cap wise next year. Probably have to dump Booth, Higgins and Raymond, replace them all with near league minimum players and not bring in any other forwards making upwards of $2mil. Too much invested in the back half of the club IMO. That deal would make more sense had Edler not been retained.

IMO Peter Mueller is a guy that makes a lot of sense for the Canucks, especially if Booth doesn't return this year. Similar player, size and production as Booth at a fraction of the cost. Still some untapped potential there as well being only 24.

To Fla- Luongo, Connauton
To Van- Goc, Mueller, 2nd

Canucks add 2 top 9 players and a good pick.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Towel-Power
GoCanucksGo

I don't think the Canucks will really be making any moves this deadline. At least not any noteworthy ones. Hearing Gillis today and other GM's talk about how there's no trade market and with there only being a couple of teams out of it, it will be real hard to get anything done.

I don't think this team is good enough to do any damage in the playoffs without any changes or additions so it would suck to see another year wasted but in a shortened season like this no one is willing to make any major moves.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:04 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Campbell is an excellent player but it would be extremely difficult to fit him in cap wise next year. Probably have to dump Booth, Higgins and Raymond, replace them all with near league minimum players and not bring in any other forwards making upwards of $2mil. Too much invested in the back half of the club IMO. That deal would make more sense had Edler not been retained.

IMO Peter Mueller is a guy that makes a lot of sense for the Canucks, especially if Booth doesn't return this year. Similar player, size and production as Booth at a fraction of the cost. Still some untapped potential there as well being only 24.

To Fla- Luongo, Connauton
To Van- Goc, Mueller, 2nd

Canucks add 2 top 9 players and a good pick.
How does it work where Florida can keep some of Campbells contract ?

On the Grabofski proposals everyone talks about sharing his cap hit. But on any other proposal, nobody suggests it...

Old
03-22-2013, 10:37 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
I hope we don't make anymore deals with florida. something about the influx of players from a losing organization doesn't feel right, spiritually.
No kidding.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
Indirectly.....Garrison. We need more of those players.

Closed Thread