HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

When PLAY Impacts Ticket Sales

Old
03-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Squantosawuss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by schpaff View Post

This market is shrinking?...prove it.
Ladies & Gentlemen, may I present the only person who isn't aware that Buffalo is a shrinking market. (and so righteously indignant about it, too)

Psssst, check your census data. You'll be alarmed.

Last edited by Squantosawuss: 03-18-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
Ladies & Gentlemen, may I present the only person who isn't aware that Buffalo is a shrinking market.

(Psssst, check your census data. You'll be alarmed.)
Per capita income is going up!

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:40 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Ladies & Gentlemen, may I present the only person who isn't aware that Buffalo is a shrinking market.

(Psssst, check your census data. You'll be alarmed.)
The population gain in Southern Ontario exceeds the population loss in the Buffalo / Niagara CSA.

But you can ignore that if it's easier to make you point.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Per capita income is going up!
Outpacing COL/inflation?

Old
03-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Custer99

vCash: 206
i have the 25 dollar a game Bills season tickets. Best deal around.

Custer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Outpacing COL/inflation?
No but it also doesn't take into account the lower cost of living which gives the average Buffalo sports fan a higher purchasing power than fans in larger markets. Since your question is about ticket sales and not revenue it would regionalize the question and negate inflation to a degree (in the sense that the percent difference isn't large enough to unbalance purchasing power). ie a Sabres fan can barebones it for less and is therefore more likely to commit disposable/impulse income on a game night vs the other 2 things to do in Buffalo.

Basically I'm gonna go to a Sabres game cause what else am I gonna do mid winter? Spending that money on the Bills is still a much less attractive idea. Unless by some miracle the Bills get it right and win the division there will always be 18,000 people who believe Pegula is a better option than Ralph.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
No but it also doesn't take into account the lower cost of living which gives the average Buffalo sports fan a higher purchasing power than fans in larger markets.
I used to believe that when i first moved here. Then I discovered that what many locals say is true: The low cost of living brag is a bit of a farce, as the taxes here, particularly property taxes, are outrageous. If you own a house in the Buffalo metro, there's a good chance you're paying on your house 2/3 the cost of taxes on a house that's 3X your value in a big metro. Or basically double the percentage taxes if you use an even ratio.

Much cheaper cost of living? On the face, yes. In reality? Not much.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
I used to believe that when i first moved here. Then I discovered that what many locals say is true: The low cost of living brag is a bit of a farce, as the taxes here, particularly property taxes, are outrageous. If you own a house in the Buffalo metro, there's a good chance you're paying on your house 2/3 the cost of taxes on a house that's 3X your value in a big metro. Or basically double the percentage taxes if you use an even ratio.

What's the property tax in WNY? I pay 3.8% here in San Antonio and only because I'm not within the actual city limits or I'd tack on an additional .4%. Of course, I'm not paying state income tax and sales tax is lower, not to mention the sin taxes on alcohol, cigarettes, cigars, and gasoline are significantly lower.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:35 PM
beerme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Navy Goat View Post
What's the property tax in WNY? I pay 3.8% here in San Antonio and only because I'm not within the actual city limits or I'd tack on an additional .4%. Of course, I'm not paying state income tax and sales tax is lower, not to mention the sin taxes on alcohol, cigarettes, cigars, and gasoline are significantly lower.
You could keep going and going and going and going with how NY is gouging and gouging and gouging.

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:

I'm sorry you decided to be a homeowner. Rent. Plus your house would be worth 3X it's value in a different market.

Last edited by Imlach a cup: 03-18-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old
03-18-2013, 10:09 PM
fing0rz

In a way it has.....you can get pretty cheap tickets off places like stubhub. I was able to score $50 tickets in an area they used to be $70 or so.

This doesn't impact the sabres ownership since they aren't losing that money. But people are not paying as much for tickets as they used to. If it holds up eventually that will bleed over to actually effect ownership, but that will take a while since the long wait on season ticket list.

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
I'm sorry you decided to be a homeowner. Rent.
Don't be sorry, as I am still building equity and my home value has only increased thanks to being in a nice burb with the top school district. Renting is just money down the drain. Regardless, the point was simply that this idea that Buffalo has such a great advantage because of a "low cost of living" is mythical.

Quote:
Plus your house would be worth 3X it's value in a different market.
LOL. That means something.

Last edited by Squantosawuss: 03-18-2013 at 10:52 PM.