HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2014, 12:52 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

vCash: 500
Just hope Clowney doesn't go to your division if you draft Manziel.

I'm a Steelers fan so take my thoughts on the Browns with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't take a QB unless I traded down and got an extra pick(s). I know they've got a mess of picks already, but I'm just not a believer in any of the top guys at the position this year.

Old
02-25-2014, 05:25 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Agree about Manziel ... I get the risk, but the guy can play football, and in the end, isn't that what it's about?
To put it in hockey terms he is a bit like Oliver B in my mind. A bit smallish and wonder if his game will translate. Plus throw in the potential off-field issues/attitudes and you (I) have to wonder.He has been successful on the field but this year he wasn't as good as last.Nobody saw Brady,Flacco,Wilson, et al coming as stars in the NFL while everyone saw Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, et al as stars. As always drafting a QB is dicey.

Old
02-25-2014, 08:25 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Just hope Clowney doesn't go to your division if you draft Manziel.

I'm a Steelers fan so take my thoughts on the Browns with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't take a QB unless I traded down and got an extra pick(s). I know they've got a mess of picks already, but I'm just not a believer in any of the top guys at the position this year.
Saw this video yesterday ... Clowney is a freak of nature. Reminds me of Jared Cowen when he came into the WHL ... as quick, smart, and skilled as the 5'11" guys, but 6'5" and 205 pounds. Crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
To put it in hockey terms he is a bit like Oliver B in my mind. A bit smallish and wonder if his game will translate. Plus throw in the potential off-field issues/attitudes and you (I) have to wonder.He has been successful on the field but this year he wasn't as good as last.Nobody saw Brady,Flacco,Wilson, et al coming as stars in the NFL while everyone saw Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, et al as stars. As always drafting a QB is dicey.
Fair enough ... I won't call myself an expert on NFL drafting, not by far ... but, what I've seen of Manziel is quite impressive!

Old
02-25-2014, 09:56 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Not many people regard Flacco as a star, Wilson was regarded as star material if he were taller, and as for Brady....

This excerpt comes from the book The GM, written by Tom Callahan with former NFL executive and GM Ernie Accorsi.
Quote:
Take Tom Brady, for instance. After Brady started winning Super Bowls in New England, I went back and looked at all of our Brady reports. Everybody killed him except one guy, Whitey Walsh. If you read Whitey's report on Brady, it's a prediction of exactly how it turned out. He was the only guy who saw it. Sometimes you have to listen to the one guy.
Walsh, for his part, said the following when he retired:
Quote:
"You get to the school and (Henson's) gone and you wonder who the starter's going to be," Walsh said. "It was some guy on the senior list and his name was Brady. I can't imagine how I would be the only one (to scout him). At Michigan? We're talking about Michigan. How could you miss the starting quarterback at Michigan? ... It turns out nobody else wrote (a report on) the guy. It's amazing.

"I thought, we're in the sixth round or whatever it was, and I thought he'd be a steal. But everybody kind of looked out of the corner of their eye because there wasn't any other scout to confirm it."
And from this article:
Quote:
"Then I started to notice that every time he was in the game, he played well, mostly because he was always hitting what he aimed at. And with a quarterback, that's always going to get your attention. He played like the job was his, that kind of confidence."

"But I have to tell you, I saw him as an eventual starter in our league," Whitey Walsh said. "Not only was he accurate, he could rear back and throw it a mile when he had to. And there's something that jumped out at you, even then: This kid never panicked. Even then, he played the game with a world of confidence."

Old
02-26-2014, 05:35 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by [QUOTE
Mayor Bee;80504981]Not many people regard Flacco as a star, Wilson was regarded as star material if he were taller, and as for Brady....
I'm not sure what you mean by this? These are three of the best QB's in league, all have won Super Bowls.

Old
02-26-2014, 06:58 AM
Columbus Mike
2015-16 CBJ

vCash: 3700
Listening to "That one guy" when all of your scouts are telling you something else is what GMDM loved to do.

Old
02-26-2014, 09:26 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by this? These are three of the best QB's in league, all have won Super Bowls.
Two of the best QBs in the league (Wilson and Drew Brees) were universally regarded as not only first-round talent, but high first-round talent. The biggest negative on both of them was height; both are 5'11". Brees dropped to the second round because of that, Wilson to the third.

Flacco isn't someone who's generally regarded as a star, team success be damned. He's been tagged with the dreaded "game manager" label; Baltimore is middle of the pack when it comes to attempting to pass the ball, and their SB win came in a year when Flacco averaged less than 250 yards/game and had 22 TD passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
Listening to "That one guy" when all of your scouts are telling you something else is what GMDM loved to do.
In the first and second round, this is true. But when it gets down to the late rounds, it becomes less of an issue.

However, we're dealing with two slightly differing accounts. Accorsi said that Walsh was the only Giants scout who liked Brady, Walsh says he's the only Giants scout who put together a complete profile on Brady. Popular opinion on Brady was pretty mixed; it's possible that Accorsi saw the declarations from all these incomplete reports and transposed them onto his own guys.

I do enjoy this bit of proof that Trev Alberts has always been a dumbass. This was from after the first round of the 2000 draft, and refers to his idea "three terrible 1st-round picks".
Quote:
...that's why I thought Peter Warrick should've been the No. 1 player taken in the draft. In my opinion he's the best playmaker to come out since Deion Sanders.

Then with the third pick the Washington Redskins took an offensive tackle. Sure Samuels is a good offensive tackle, but you have to pay the guy $9 million up front, and then $4 million per year -- this is a guy who just blocks people. And then the biggest no-brainer of the day: Baltimore taking Jamal Lewis. Bob, this is a guy that, no doubt about it, if he goes back to Tennessee for his senior year he isn't going to even start. Travis Henry had effectively beaten this guy out. Now, all of a sudden, he's the fifth pick, simply because he runs a 4.3 40. A horrible pick.

Old
02-26-2014, 09:45 AM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

if he's there, the browns only pick should be Watkins...and I'm not a browns fan...

i think they need to see what they have in Hoyer so take Watkins at 4, either Hyde or OL with Colts pick, same with 2nd round and in the 3rd go AJ McCarron as a backup plan in case Hoyer isn't good...

JMO

Old
02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
if he's there, the browns only pick should be Watkins...and I'm not a browns fan...

i think they need to see what they have in Hoyer so take Watkins at 4, either Hyde or OL with Colts pick, same with 2nd round and in the 3rd go AJ McCarron as a backup plan in case Hoyer isn't good...

JMO
100% agree.

Old
02-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Gorilla Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Well guys, apparently the Browns are looking for the next MacGuyver.

http://deadspin.com/the-browns-are-a...per-1531544566

02-26-2014, 03:37 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Well guys, apparently the Browns are looking for the next MacGuyver.

http://deadspin.com/the-browns-are-a...per-1531544566
I wonder what kind of trees they would be...

Old
03-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Gorilla Warrior

I see the Crew are targeting the hipster demographic of the Columbus market with their new television deal by ensuring that nobody is able to see their games on TV.

Old
03-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 683
Quote:
I see the Crew are targeting the hipster demographic of the Columbus market with their new television deal by ensuring that nobody is able to see their games on TV.
I will repeat what I said on the GDT, this is horrible. Why not televise all away games and then make the fans buy tickets if they want to see a game at home? If the Jackets did this, by televising all away games, I wonder if it might spike home attendance

Old
03-06-2014, 08:52 PM
pete goegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
I will repeat what I said on the GDT, this is horrible. Why not televise all away games and then make the fans buy tickets if they want to see a game at home? If the Jackets did this, by televising all away games, I wonder if it might spike home attendance
That idea came close to killing the Hawks franchise.

Old
03-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
That idea came close to killing the Hawks franchise.
True, but I thought a big reason for fan dissatisfaction was that they were on a low power UHF station, something like channel 32 where hardly anyone could tune in to any game.

Old
03-06-2014, 09:27 PM
pete goegan

Quote:
True, but I thought a big reason for fan dissatisfaction was that they were on a low power UHF station, something like channel 32 where hardly anyone could tune in to any game.
My understanding is that the refusal to broadcast home games caused great resentment and reduced the ability for fans to identify with the team.

Old
03-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Heinze 57

It caused resentment and it also caused a lot of Chicagoans to completely forget about them as an entertainment option. Losing that exposure that 41 more games provides was very damaging. It didn't help that the team was horrible, but the team was also horrible because nobody was going to the games and nobody was going to the games because they were mad that they couldn't watch them on TV. Chicken/egg. It had the exact opposite of Bill Wirtz's old man logic's intended effect.

Broadcasts of your home games showing fans having a fun time essentially turns those broadcasts into three hour commercials for buying tickets to the home games. If the Blue Jackets suddenly only aired road games then the attendance would drop even further.

Old
03-12-2014, 12:14 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
There is only one number retired by all of MLB..... what an honor Jackie!!!

Old
03-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Gorilla Warrior

Quote:
After reading more of the deets, holy moly was that a bad TV deal

Thankfully, MLS fans are the most dedicated and least pretentious fans in the world. They'll surely take this in stride and not mindlessly complain for the next 2 years about it. They'll still be willing to talk for the next 2 years (to completely willing participants) at bars about how much better of a person they are than you because they watch MLS.

Old
03-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Thankfully, MLS fans are the most dedicated and least pretentious fans in the world. They'll surely take this in stride and not mindlessly complain for the next 2 years about it. They'll still be willing to talk for the next 2 years (to completely willing participants) at bars about how much better of a person they are than you because they watch MLS.
I still enjoy remembering a few years back when a ton of OSU fans switched cable providers so they could watch one single game: the season opener against Youngstown State. Not a conference game, not a game with national implications, not a game against a team in D1-A. Youngstown. State.

Old
03-12-2014, 06:05 PM
FANonymous

Brandon Weeden is gone. Thank whatever deity you believe in. I'm hoping they don't pick up Johnny Football though. That guy gives me a really bad feeling.

Old
03-12-2014, 08:57 PM
db2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Brandon Weeden is gone. Thank whatever deity you believe in. I'm hoping they don't pick up Johnny Football though. That guy gives me a really bad feeling.
That's a relief, ain't it?

My bet is that if he's there, they take Manziel. I just don't think Haslam has any scruples- and the feds agree!

Old
03-12-2014, 09:07 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
While not a Browns fan, I share your feelings about him which will only double if he is drafted by the cursed Browns organization.

Old
03-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Viqsi
caution: bite hazard

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I still enjoy remembering a few years back when a ton of OSU fans switched cable providers so they could watch one single game: the season opener against Youngstown State. Not a conference game, not a game with national implications, not a game against a team in D1-A. Youngstown. State.
To be just a tiny bit more fair, Youngstown State was where Jim Tressel coached before he went to Ohio State, and it was the first time he was going back there. So there was something pseudo-quasi-significant going on. Not much, but something. (Would be kind of like the Jackets under Arniel going up against the Manitoba Moose, only in some sort of crazy alternate reality in which Arniel had won the Cup here and was beloved by the fanbase.)

That said, nobody I knew switched, because despite the etymology of the word "fan", there remains a difference between Buckeye fans and Buckeye fetishists.

Congratulations to all Las Vegas area hockey fans, present and future!
Old
03-13-2014, 04:37 PM
stingers stinger
You know how it ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
To be just a tiny bit more fair, Youngstown State was where Jim Tressel coached before he went to Ohio State, and it was the first time he was going back there. So there was something pseudo-quasi-significant going on. Not much, but something. (Would be kind of like the Jackets under Arniel going up against the Manitoba Moose, only in some sort of crazy alternate reality in which Arniel had won the Cup here and was beloved by the fanbase.)
Your train seriously derailed there towards the end of your rant lol.

Closed Thread