HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VIII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2014, 12:52 AM
  #801
Double-Shift Lassé
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassé's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Semirural Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 20,926
vCash: 500
Just hope Clowney doesn't go to your division if you draft Manziel.




I'm a Steelers fan so take my thoughts on the Browns with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't take a QB unless I traded down and got an extra pick(s). I know they've got a mess of picks already, but I'm just not a believer in any of the top guys at the position this year.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassé is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 05:25 AM
  #802
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Agree about Manziel ... I get the risk, but the guy can play football, and in the end, isn't that what it's about?
To put it in hockey terms he is a bit like Oliver B in my mind. A bit smallish and wonder if his game will translate. Plus throw in the potential off-field issues/attitudes and you (I) have to wonder.He has been successful on the field but this year he wasn't as good as last.Nobody saw Brady,Flacco,Wilson, et al coming as stars in the NFL while everyone saw Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, et al as stars. As always drafting a QB is dicey.

EspenK is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 08:25 PM
  #803
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all
 
Sore Loser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Spokane, WA.
Country: United States
Posts: 6,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Just hope Clowney doesn't go to your division if you draft Manziel.




I'm a Steelers fan so take my thoughts on the Browns with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't take a QB unless I traded down and got an extra pick(s). I know they've got a mess of picks already, but I'm just not a believer in any of the top guys at the position this year.
Saw this video yesterday ... Clowney is a freak of nature. Reminds me of Jared Cowen when he came into the WHL ... as quick, smart, and skilled as the 5'11" guys, but 6'5" and 205 pounds. Crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
To put it in hockey terms he is a bit like Oliver B in my mind. A bit smallish and wonder if his game will translate. Plus throw in the potential off-field issues/attitudes and you (I) have to wonder.He has been successful on the field but this year he wasn't as good as last.Nobody saw Brady,Flacco,Wilson, et al coming as stars in the NFL while everyone saw Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, et al as stars. As always drafting a QB is dicey.
Fair enough ... I won't call myself an expert on NFL drafting, not by far ... but, what I've seen of Manziel is quite impressive!

Sore Loser is offline  
Old
02-25-2014, 09:56 PM
  #804
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
To put it in hockey terms he is a bit like Oliver B in my mind. A bit smallish and wonder if his game will translate. Plus throw in the potential off-field issues/attitudes and you (I) have to wonder.He has been successful on the field but this year he wasn't as good as last.Nobody saw Brady,Flacco,Wilson, et al coming as stars in the NFL while everyone saw Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, et al as stars. As always drafting a QB is dicey.
Not many people regard Flacco as a star, Wilson was regarded as star material if he were taller, and as for Brady....

This excerpt comes from the book The GM, written by Tom Callahan with former NFL executive and GM Ernie Accorsi.
Quote:
Take Tom Brady, for instance. After Brady started winning Super Bowls in New England, I went back and looked at all of our Brady reports. Everybody killed him except one guy, Whitey Walsh. If you read Whitey's report on Brady, it's a prediction of exactly how it turned out. He was the only guy who saw it. Sometimes you have to listen to the one guy.
Walsh, for his part, said the following when he retired:
Quote:
"You get to the school and (Henson's) gone and you wonder who the starter's going to be," Walsh said. "It was some guy on the senior list and his name was Brady. I can't imagine how I would be the only one (to scout him). At Michigan? We're talking about Michigan. How could you miss the starting quarterback at Michigan? ... It turns out nobody else wrote (a report on) the guy. It's amazing.

"I thought, we're in the sixth round or whatever it was, and I thought he'd be a steal. But everybody kind of looked out of the corner of their eye because there wasn't any other scout to confirm it."
And from this article:
Quote:
"Then I started to notice that every time he was in the game, he played well, mostly because he was always hitting what he aimed at. And with a quarterback, that's always going to get your attention. He played like the job was his, that kind of confidence."

....
"But I have to tell you, I saw him as an eventual starter in our league," Whitey Walsh said. "Not only was he accurate, he could rear back and throw it a mile when he had to. And there's something that jumped out at you, even then: This kid never panicked. Even then, he played the game with a world of confidence."

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 05:35 AM
  #805
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by [QUOTE
Mayor Bee;80504981]Not many people regard Flacco as a star, Wilson was regarded as star material if he were taller, and as for Brady....
I'm not sure what you mean by this? These are three of the best QB's in league, all have won Super Bowls.

EspenK is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 06:58 AM
  #806
Columbus Mike
2015-16 CBJ
 
Columbus Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 865
vCash: 3700
Listening to "That one guy" when all of your scouts are telling you something else is what GMDM loved to do.

Columbus Mike is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 09:26 AM
  #807
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this? These are three of the best QB's in league, all have won Super Bowls.
Two of the best QBs in the league (Wilson and Drew Brees) were universally regarded as not only first-round talent, but high first-round talent. The biggest negative on both of them was height; both are 5'11". Brees dropped to the second round because of that, Wilson to the third.

Flacco isn't someone who's generally regarded as a star, team success be damned. He's been tagged with the dreaded "game manager" label; Baltimore is middle of the pack when it comes to attempting to pass the ball, and their SB win came in a year when Flacco averaged less than 250 yards/game and had 22 TD passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post
Listening to "That one guy" when all of your scouts are telling you something else is what GMDM loved to do.
In the first and second round, this is true. But when it gets down to the late rounds, it becomes less of an issue.

However, we're dealing with two slightly differing accounts. Accorsi said that Walsh was the only Giants scout who liked Brady, Walsh says he's the only Giants scout who put together a complete profile on Brady. Popular opinion on Brady was pretty mixed; it's possible that Accorsi saw the declarations from all these incomplete reports and transposed them onto his own guys.

I do enjoy this bit of proof that Trev Alberts has always been a dumbass. This was from after the first round of the 2000 draft, and refers to his idea "three terrible 1st-round picks".
Quote:
...that's why I thought Peter Warrick should've been the No. 1 player taken in the draft. In my opinion he's the best playmaker to come out since Deion Sanders.

Then with the third pick the Washington Redskins took an offensive tackle. Sure Samuels is a good offensive tackle, but you have to pay the guy $9 million up front, and then $4 million per year -- this is a guy who just blocks people. And then the biggest no-brainer of the day: Baltimore taking Jamal Lewis. Bob, this is a guy that, no doubt about it, if he goes back to Tennessee for his senior year he isn't going to even start. Travis Henry had effectively beaten this guy out. Now, all of a sudden, he's the fifth pick, simply because he runs a 4.3 40. A horrible pick.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 09:45 AM
  #808
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 18,657
vCash: 500
if he's there, the browns only pick should be Watkins...and I'm not a browns fan...

i think they need to see what they have in Hoyer so take Watkins at 4, either Hyde or OL with Colts pick, same with 2nd round and in the 3rd go AJ McCarron as a backup plan in case Hoyer isn't good...

JMO

Fro is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
  #809
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
if he's there, the browns only pick should be Watkins...and I'm not a browns fan...

i think they need to see what they have in Hoyer so take Watkins at 4, either Hyde or OL with Colts pick, same with 2nd round and in the 3rd go AJ McCarron as a backup plan in case Hoyer isn't good...

JMO
100% agree.

FANonymous is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 02:00 PM
  #810
Samkow
Global Moderator
Gorilla Warrior
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 15,447
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Well guys, apparently the Browns are looking for the next MacGuyver.

http://deadspin.com/the-browns-are-a...per-1531544566

__________________
Truth should never get in the way of a good persecution complex.
Samkow is offline  
Old
02-26-2014, 03:37 PM
  #811
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Well guys, apparently the Browns are looking for the next MacGuyver.

http://deadspin.com/the-browns-are-a...per-1531544566
I wonder what kind of trees they would be...

FANonymous is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 01:57 PM
  #812
Samkow
Global Moderator
Gorilla Warrior
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 15,447
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
I see the Crew are targeting the hipster demographic of the Columbus market with their new television deal by ensuring that nobody is able to see their games on TV.

Samkow is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 08:47 PM
  #813
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners
 
Fred Glover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,309
vCash: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I see the Crew are targeting the hipster demographic of the Columbus market with their new television deal by ensuring that nobody is able to see their games on TV.
I will repeat what I said on the GDT, this is horrible. Why not televise all away games and then make the fans buy tickets if they want to see a game at home? If the Jackets did this, by televising all away games, I wonder if it might spike home attendance

Fred Glover is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 08:52 PM
  #814
pete goegan
Registered User
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
I will repeat what I said on the GDT, this is horrible. Why not televise all away games and then make the fans buy tickets if they want to see a game at home? If the Jackets did this, by televising all away games, I wonder if it might spike home attendance
That idea came close to killing the Hawks franchise.

pete goegan is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 08:56 PM
  #815
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners
 
Fred Glover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,309
vCash: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
That idea came close to killing the Hawks franchise.
True, but I thought a big reason for fan dissatisfaction was that they were on a low power UHF station, something like channel 32 where hardly anyone could tune in to any game.

Fred Glover is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 09:27 PM
  #816
pete goegan
Registered User
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 12,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
True, but I thought a big reason for fan dissatisfaction was that they were on a low power UHF station, something like channel 32 where hardly anyone could tune in to any game.
My understanding is that the refusal to broadcast home games caused great resentment and reduced the ability for fans to identify with the team.

pete goegan is offline  
Old
03-11-2014, 11:15 AM
  #817
Heinze 57
Registered User
 
Heinze 57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Country: United States
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
It caused resentment and it also caused a lot of Chicagoans to completely forget about them as an entertainment option. Losing that exposure that 41 more games provides was very damaging. It didn't help that the team was horrible, but the team was also horrible because nobody was going to the games and nobody was going to the games because they were mad that they couldn't watch them on TV. Chicken/egg. It had the exact opposite of Bill Wirtz's old man logic's intended effect.

Broadcasts of your home games showing fans having a fun time essentially turns those broadcasts into three hour commercials for buying tickets to the home games. If the Blue Jackets suddenly only aired road games then the attendance would drop even further.

Heinze 57 is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 12:14 AM
  #818
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,427
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
There is only one number retired by all of MLB..... what an honor Jackie!!!

Robert is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 03:00 PM
  #819
Samkow
Global Moderator
Gorilla Warrior
 
Samkow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 15,447
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
I will repeat what I said on the GDT, this is horrible. Why not televise all away games and then make the fans buy tickets if they want to see a game at home? If the Jackets did this, by televising all away games, I wonder if it might spike home attendance
After reading more of the deets, holy moly was that a bad TV deal

Thankfully, MLS fans are the most dedicated and least pretentious fans in the world. They'll surely take this in stride and not mindlessly complain for the next 2 years about it. They'll still be willing to talk for the next 2 years (to completely willing participants) at bars about how much better of a person they are than you because they watch MLS.

Samkow is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 05:27 PM
  #820
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Thankfully, MLS fans are the most dedicated and least pretentious fans in the world. They'll surely take this in stride and not mindlessly complain for the next 2 years about it. They'll still be willing to talk for the next 2 years (to completely willing participants) at bars about how much better of a person they are than you because they watch MLS.
I still enjoy remembering a few years back when a ton of OSU fans switched cable providers so they could watch one single game: the season opener against Youngstown State. Not a conference game, not a game with national implications, not a game against a team in D1-A. Youngstown. State.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 06:05 PM
  #821
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
Brandon Weeden is gone. Thank whatever deity you believe in. I'm hoping they don't pick up Johnny Football though. That guy gives me a really bad feeling.

FANonymous is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 08:57 PM
  #822
db2011
Registered User
 
db2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Brandon Weeden is gone. Thank whatever deity you believe in. I'm hoping they don't pick up Johnny Football though. That guy gives me a really bad feeling.
That's a relief, ain't it?

My bet is that if he's there, they take Manziel. I just don't think Haslam has any scruples- and the feds agree!

db2011 is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 09:07 PM
  #823
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Brandon Weeden is gone. Thank whatever deity you believe in. I'm hoping they don't pick up Johnny Football though. That guy gives me a really bad feeling.
While not a Browns fan, I share your feelings about him which will only double if he is drafted by the cursed Browns organization.

EspenK is offline  
Old
03-13-2014, 09:56 AM
  #824
Viqsi
caution: bite hazard
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 28,439
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I still enjoy remembering a few years back when a ton of OSU fans switched cable providers so they could watch one single game: the season opener against Youngstown State. Not a conference game, not a game with national implications, not a game against a team in D1-A. Youngstown. State.
To be just a tiny bit more fair, Youngstown State was where Jim Tressel coached before he went to Ohio State, and it was the first time he was going back there. So there was something pseudo-quasi-significant going on. Not much, but something. (Would be kind of like the Jackets under Arniel going up against the Manitoba Moose, only in some sort of crazy alternate reality in which Arniel had won the Cup here and was beloved by the fanbase.)

That said, nobody I knew switched, because despite the etymology of the word "fan", there remains a difference between Buckeye fans and Buckeye fetishists.

__________________
"I don't care if it's a shutout, so long as it's a win." --Anton Forsberg, after his 1-0 OT game-, series-, and Cup-winning shutout in the 2016 Calder Cup Finals

Congratulations to all Las Vegas area hockey fans, present and future!
Viqsi is offline  
Old
03-13-2014, 04:37 PM
  #825
stingers stinger
You know how it ends
 
stingers stinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
To be just a tiny bit more fair, Youngstown State was where Jim Tressel coached before he went to Ohio State, and it was the first time he was going back there. So there was something pseudo-quasi-significant going on. Not much, but something. (Would be kind of like the Jackets under Arniel going up against the Manitoba Moose, only in some sort of crazy alternate reality in which Arniel had won the Cup here and was beloved by the fanbase.)
Your train seriously derailed there towards the end of your rant lol.

stingers stinger is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.