HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks at the Trade Deadline

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Virtanev
+

vCash: 50
Insider Trading coming up on TSN. Will post if anything Canucks related is brought up.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:19 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot1 View Post
I don't wanna see Roy in a Canucks jersey at all. He's 5'9", hasn't produced well for a while now, has a giant salary that's not proportionate to his production, and is kind of a ******.
Last five years:

2012-13 - 0.70 PPG - 57 point pace
2011-12 - 0.55 PPG - 45 point pace
2010-11 - 1.00 PPG - 82 point pace
2009-10 - 0.86 PPG - 71 point pace
2008-09 - 0.85 PPG - 70 point pace

He's down a bit but honestly if he can come in and score 60 points on our 2nd line he'd be worth about $5M to me...I'd rather have Ribeiro but would happily settle for Roy above the no one that we currently have to centre the 2nd PP...if you need to dump Booth to fit Roy/Ribeiro in, you do it and don't think twice given all the young wingers we have.

Old
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
Agree somewhat. Depends on what we can get for Luongo or Schneider. If we get equal prospects or picks as the one's we trade it is not a disaster. However we cannot trade Jensen or our first for a rental we do not plan to sign. Do not go all in. Consider trading Raymond for an equivalent center. Or Raymond for a pick who you can trade for a center. We need a center this year and next year so if we can make a hockey trade that would be a no brainer. Iggy is a luxury, not sure we can afford luxuries when we have necessities that he to be filled.

I look at deals as separate cases. As soon as you start using one to justify another, I think it becomes clear what should have done in both cases, not just the one. On balance.

I agree with trading Raymond for a C. But now you run into the problem of not having enough good LWers if you do. So I'm not sure they can deal Raymond anymore... That's one of the reasons for wanting to bring in a lesser solution to the 3C position. It likely wouldn't cost you Raymond in getting that player.

You know what, I don't even care if the player isn't a rental and actually re-signs. Losing Jensen/1st is a no go for me. A player like Jensen can put it together and make you look pretty silly afterwards. I mean, people are complaining incessantly about Hodgson right now, imagine if Jensen is dealt only to become a premier scorer? Madness.

Extend that to the high quality 1st round, and by association the Canucks' 1st round pick, and I don't like it there either... Gillis, for the love of everything good, do not trade your 1st or Jensen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I agree.

Sell of assets. Let your young players play. Stock up on draft picks.

Go after specialty role players in FA (Iginla, if we're on his list maybe he'll come as FA).

The deep draft and our injury concern, coupled with the short season makes that palatable at least to me.

Not to mention we can't really be that much worse with Connauton, Jensen, and Archibald than we are playing right now.

Ride the goalie and a the top line and top 4 defense to the playoffs and hope for the best, knowing next year presents a massive one year push.

I don't know if I advocate full on sell mode, but I would definitely lean in that direction more than I would to the "buy" category. Definitely. I would give this roster at least a chance by getting a lower end 3C. Fix the immediate need. After that, leave it up to them to do something with it. If they do, great. If not, make the adjustments in the offseason.

Just give them the bare minimum. This roster doesn't deserve more.

Old
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Insider Trading coming up on TSN. Will post if anything Canucks related is brought up.
Thanks. I don't have cable at all so I'm glad people give updates on what's being said (they don't always post highlights from insider trading on their website).

Old
03-19-2013, 07:23 PM
Bleach Clean

Speculation on Roy - DAL not able to re-sign him = chaching.

ANA makes sense as they are looking at a 2C option.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:24 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I look at deals as separate cases. As soon as you start using one to justify another, I think it becomes clear what should have done in both cases, not just the one. On balance.

I agree with trading Raymond for a C. But now you run into the problem of not having enough good LWers if you do. So I'm not sure they can deal Raymond anymore... That's one of the reasons for wanting to bring in a lesser solution to the 3C position. It likely wouldn't cost you Raymond in getting that player.

You know what, I don't even care if the player isn't a rental and actually re-signs. Losing Jensen/1st is a no go for me. A player like Jensen can put it together and make you look pretty silly afterwards. I mean, people are complaining incessantly about Hodgson right now, imagine if Jensen is dealt only to become a premier scorer? Madness.

Extend that to the high quality 1st round, and by association the Canucks' 1st round pick, and I don't like it there either... Gillis, for the love of everything good, do not trade your 1st or Jensen.

I don't know if I advocate full on sell mode, but I would definitely lean in that direction more than I would to the "buy" category. Definitely. I would give this roster at least a chance by getting a lower end 3C. Fix the immediate need. After that, leave it up to them to do something with it. If they do, great. If not, make the adjustments in the offseason.

Just give them the bare minimum. This roster doesn't deserve more.
Pretty much nailed it, IMO. If this roster doesn't start playing a lot better then no single player is going to be the answer. Fill the obvious 3C hole and if a good deal comes along to trade Luongo then go for it. But keep the prospects and the first round pick. We really need to start having some good young players being groomed for a top 6 role.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Bleach Clean

NYR looking for a gritty forward for Gaborik. Someone with "push back".

Bmac unsure of teams in on Iginla, but on both lists of 3 and 5 teams, speculation is that VAN is on both.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Linden*
[hello] :)

Quote:
i missed it, was watching the Caps and Pens

did they only talk about Roy?

Old
03-19-2013, 07:26 PM
DJOpus

Thinking about our issues, it seems like Nashville might be a team we can look at for a 2-way centre soon...they are about to fall behind CBJ in the standings (assuming CBJ can hang on to their 2-0 lead).

Someone on the trade rumors forum mentioned that Legwand might become available...any interest?

I'd probably put him behind Ribeiro/Roy but I'd be happy to add him as our 3rd line centre going forward.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Virtanev
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Thanks. I don't have cable at all so I'm glad people give updates on what's being said (they don't always post highlights from insider trading on their website).
Some timbits.

Iginla: Many believe it's either a 3 or 5 team list, which both include Vancouver. At that's what McKenzie has said. It's pure speculation at this point though.

Gaborik: Rangers looking to potentially move him. Asking price is hight, looking fot top 4 defenceman+Gritty top 9 forward.

Dan Boyle: Rangers interested

Derek Roy: Anaheim interested.

Bobby Ryan: Not going anywhere.

Brendan Morrow: Controls his destiny, likely to get moved to where ever he wants.

Old
TheSnowLeopard

Quote:
Bmac unsure of teams in on Iginla, but on both lists of 3 and 5 teams, speculation is that VAN is on both.
How can Igninla possibly be a fit? Gillis isn't into rentals, he is going to be way over-priced and it is rather doubtful Calgary wants to risk having him end up in the same division. Plus, he is going to want to go to a cup contender which this year very likley does not include the good guys.

Cheers

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
NYR looking for a gritty forward for Gaborik. Someone with "push back".

Max Lapierre will push back they also want a defenseman. Ballard, Lapierre and a 1st round pick for Gaborik?

03-19-2013, 07:29 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnowLeopard View Post
How can Igninla possibly be a fit? Gillis isn't into rentals, he is going to be way over-priced and it is rather doubtful Calgary wants to risk having him end up in the same division. Plus, he is going to want to go to a cup contender which this year very likley does not include the good guys.

Cheers
If Iginla is not going to re-sign in Calgary and is willing to be traded then Calgary has to move him to get something for him. If all he wants is Vancouver then they don't have much of a choice.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Some timbits.

Iginla: Many believe it's either a 3 or 5 team list, which both include Vancouver. At that's what McKenzie has said. It's pure speculation at this point though.

Gaborik: Rangers looking to potentially move him. Asking price is hight, looking fot top 4 defenceman+Gritty top 9 forward.

Brendan Morrow: Controls his destiny, likely to get moved to where ever he wants.
Thanks. Wonder if Rangers and Sharks make a deal? Seems like there could be some compatibility there.

Wonder how much interest there actually is in Morrow. He has been pretty bad for a while now.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:30 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Max Lapierre will push back they also want a defenseman. Ballard, Lapierre and a 1st round pick for Gaborik?
Id LOL so hard if New york took that

Old
03-19-2013, 07:31 PM
keslerburrows

So Higgins/Booth and Ballard for Gaborik is what I got out of this.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:32 PM
Virtanev
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Thanks. Wonder if Rangers and Sharks make a deal? Seems like there could be some compatibility there.

Wonder how much interest there actually is in Morrow. He has been pretty bad for a while now.
No Problem. McKenzie mentioned Boston as a team interested.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Virtanev
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
So Higgins/Booth and Ballard for Gaborik is what I got out of this.
Booth and Ballard for Gaborik would be the funniest thing ever. The best part of it would be if Gaborik struggled people will call it a bad trade for Gillis. A la the Booth deal.

Old
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
I not waiting another year to get a chance at the cup......new conference, tougher competition less guarantee......it now or never

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Some timbits.

Lol, add Clowe to that bolded conversation and there's a done deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSnowLeopard View Post

Cheers

I agree. Just reporting what they said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post

No 1st! Although if Sather went for that deal, Gillis would be remiss not to do it. I just don't want Gillis trading that 1st.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Virtanev
+

Quote:
Lol, add Clowe to that bolded conversation and there's a done deal.

I could actually see that happening. But IMO it's time for the Sharks to rebuild.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Hammer79

Iginla doesn't solve our problems up the center, but I could see him being lethal with the Sedins. Burrows could help spark the 2nd line.

If the Canucks did acquire him, they could sign him to a one year deal to wait out this stupid artificial cap dip year (from what I've heard revenues have been very good this season), and hope the cap goes back up for 2014-2015 with the inevitable rise in revenues and give him a 3 or 4 year deal then. They could put Malhotra on LTIR to make the numbers work this season.

As for cost, Calgary would be handcuffed if Iginla's short list is only 3-5 teams. MG might be able to get him cheaper than we realize, and cheaper than Feaster wants.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:48 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Honestly based on what the Rangers are asking for Gaborik, I think something like Boyle + Clowe for Gaborik makes more sense than anything we could offer.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:51 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:

If not, make the adjustments in the offseason.
Top 10 picks aside, Ryan Kesler is the only player the Canucks have drafted in the 1st rd over the last 30 years that could be considered better than Derek Roy. It's extremely unlikely we get a player near Roy's calibre with that pick. I would be much more reluctant to move Jensen, as he's closer to being NHL ready and has shown well as a pro.

This team needs another impact forward. If you want to do it in the offseason, odds are, you're still going to have to pay a significant price to do it. It just gives you 1 less strong shot at a Stanley cup.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:54 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Top 10 picks aside, Ryan Kesler is the only player the Canucks have drafted in the 1st rd over the last 30 years that could be considered better than Derek Roy. It's extremely unlikely we get a player near Roy's calibre with that pick. I would be much more reluctant to move Jensen, as he's closer to being NHL ready and has shown well as a pro.

This team needs another impact forward. If you want to do it in the offseason, odds are, you're still going to have to pay a significant price to do it. It just gives you 1 less strong shot at a Stanley cup.
Nice to see you FINALLY agree with me.

Closed Thread