HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs Fan Superstitions

Old
03-16-2013, 07:06 PM
CobraAcesS

vCash: 500
Avs Fan Superstitions

I know Hockey players can have lots of superstitions and habits, but fans can sometimes have them as well.

It's weird, as I don't really consider myself superstitious... I do wear the same shirt for the next Avs game if we win. If we lose then I pick something different. lol

Does anyone else have any weird things like that they do for every game? Superstitious or not..

(Lets just say... This year I haven't had to wear very many dirty shirts for consecutive Avs games, so that's a plus.)

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Nalens Oga
Hth

vCash: 1963
The team would have to be doing well for you to use a superstition.

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:36 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

vCash: 50
Playoffs:
Only shave after an Avs win. Much to the chagrin of my boss.
Never wear an Avs sweater on Game day except during the game, and always the matching color.
Never bet on my own team.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Nothing in the regular season. But I used to wash my jersey after every playoff loss. Had to wash the bad luck out.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:27 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
Playoffs:
Only shave after an Avs win. Much to the chagrin of my boss.
Never wear an Avs sweater on Game day except during the game, and always the matching color.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
Nothing in the regular season. But I used to wash my jersey after every playoff loss. Had to wash the bad luck out.
Aslan, you only shaved 'after' a win? How did that start?

haha looks like you guys haven't had to worry about it for a while though.

CSF's is funny, lol that's totally valid.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Unaffiliated

Drink every time Sacco makes a good coaching decision.

I'm a mormon.

(jk)

Unaffiliated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:31 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Aslan, you only shaved 'after' a win? How did that start?

haha looks like you guys haven't had to worry about it for a while though.

CSF's is funny, lol that's totally valid.
Couldn't get too scruffy for work due to policy, so I couldn't go full playoff beard (i was 20, so I thought I should grow one with the team)

I got a little leeway from the boss though since he was from Boston and had his own superstitions. Was the first year in Colorado that they won the cup, so I kept the tradition from that point on.

AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Bubba Thudd
Random Strangler

vCash: 5891
I don't bet on my own team, either -- at least, not if I want them to win.

I have a (actually several) "Christmas Cookie" candle that I only burn during Avs games.

I make cashew butter -- but only eat it during Avs games.

03-16-2013, 09:42 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I wear my wife's pants during Avs games.....actually I wear them most of the time.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:08 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I wear my wife's pants during Avs games.....actually I wear them most of the time.
Well... now we know why they are playing scared.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

B4 having CI , most of the games i was able to watch were the ones on CBC saturday nights . The problem is that the Avs used to lose all the time when they were playing on CBC ( even back in the days of the strong teams ) . To a point that i got in my head that i was bringing them bad luck because i was watching . When i was finally able to get CI , i told myself : i'm not missing a game from now on ... They wont go 0-82 it's impossible, right ?

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:04 AM
landesberg
varlamov4ever

The Avs have won big over the last two weeks when I haven't watched. Haven't watched them win one since we beat the Blues in OT back in February...

I'm thinking about not watching the Avs ever again.

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:04 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
B4 having CI , most of the games i was able to watch were the ones on CBC saturday nights . The problem is that the Avs used to lose all the time when they were playing on CBC ( even back in the days of the strong teams ) . To a point that i got in my head that i was bringing them bad luck because i was watching . When i was finally able to get CI , i told myself : i'm not missing a game from now on ... They wont go 0-82 it's impossible, right ?
I have something similar, the Avs seem to score when I leave the room for whatever reason. So I usually leave the room for a smoke when they go on the power-play, hoping to maximize the chances...

However when I was in Denver, and actually attending games. Of the 5-10 I would see a year in person, I've only ever seen them lose in person 3 times over three years. Haha

(I guess I need to start driving up to Vancouver when Colorado plays them, lol.)

Old
03-17-2013, 01:23 AM
BrickAHL
Sasha Banks GOAT

I have so many superstitions and all of them are ridiculous. I usually don't believe in superstitions or luck so it is weird why I do all this stuff.

1. On gamedays I try to avoid stepping on the cracks of sidewalks and I also avoid stepping on the cracks that separate the tiles at my house.

2. I wear the same shirt/jersey when we win and I keep wearing it until we lose. When we finally do lose, I avoid wearing that shirt/jersey until at least a week later.

3. During gameday there are songs that I don't listen to because they are bad luck and there are certain songs that I do listen to because they are good luck. This one rarely works but I still do it all the time.

4. When watching a game I sit in a spot and if we score I stay in that spot because it is good luck but if we get scored against then I have to change seats because it is bad luck.

5. If I'm watching the game online, there are certain cites that I make sure I don't have open in another tab because they are bad luck.

6. I consider people walking in while I'm watching the game to be bad luck so I usually get upset when someone enters the same room where I'm watching the game. I usually try to get them out as quickly as possible.

7. When I'm walking up a set of stairs on gameday, I make sure as I'm walking up those stairs that I skip a step of stairs everytime I take a step.

8. If I'm watching the game in my room I make sure that the door is nearly closed but not fully closed.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:23 AM
m0ngr31

1. Everytime I wear my Selanne Avs jersey they lose. I got a Sakic jersey last year, but I havent worn it while watching a game because I'm afraid it'll be the same thing.
2. Everytime I read the GDT during the game they lose. I have to wait until the game is over.

m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:22 AM
Bubba Thudd
Random Strangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I have so many superstitions and all of them are ridiculous. I usually don't believe in superstitions or luck so it is weird why I do all this stuff.

1. On gamedays I try to avoid stepping on the cracks of sidewalks and I also avoid stepping on the cracks that separate the tiles at my house.

2. I wear the same shirt/jersey when we win and I keep wearing it until we lose. When we finally do lose, I avoid wearing that shirt/jersey until at least a week later.

3. During gameday there are songs that I don't listen to because they are bad luck and there are certain songs that I do listen to because they are good luck. This one rarely works but I still do it all the time.

4. When watching a game I sit in a spot and if we score I stay in that spot because it is good luck but if we get scored against then I have to change seats because it is bad luck.

5. If I'm watching the game online, there are certain cites that I make sure I don't have open in another tab because they are bad luck.

6. I consider people walking in while I'm watching the game to be bad luck so I usually get upset when someone enters the same room where I'm watching the game. I usually try to get them out as quickly as possible.

7. When I'm walking up a set of stairs on gameday, I make sure as I'm walking up those stairs that I skip a step of stairs everytime I take a step.

8. If I'm watching the game in my room I make sure that the door is nearly closed but not fully closed.
Seems like whenever someone walks into the room where I'm watching the game, somebody scores. If it's the enemy, I rush them out of the room. But if it's the Avs that score, I try to get them to stay and watch the game -- even if they don't like hockey.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 5400
I post something that makes absolutely no sense to myself sober about once a month to ensure that Duchene doesn't get injured. It works like a bloody charm.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:55 AM
The Shermanator
cooler than kento

I guarantee if I never watched us play again we would win the cup every single year.

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Teuras
Registered offender

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
This

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:10 AM
Reparlana

When I don't watch the AVS win...

Reparlana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:12 AM
Bubba Thudd
Random Strangler

Even when I don't watch, the Avs lose.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Teuras
Registered offender

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Even when I don't watch, the Avs lose.
And this

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Razor29
Bandwagon Hopper

Have you guys seen this team? Obviously whatever you guys are doing you are doing it wrong.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:33 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

On days when only the Caps play, I'm allowed to wear any jersey, but on days when the Caps and Avs play, I have to wear Hendricks because he's the only one I have who played for both teams.

I always wear a jersey a second time when they win, and always switch to a different jersey when they lose (except when superceded by the "both teams playing" rule).

If someone does something that is ordinarily bad luck while I'm present (such as spilling salt w/o tossing it over my left shoulder or breaking a mirror), all of my teams will lose that day.

If anybody (including me) attempts to invoke a bad luck superstition on purpose, it will backfire and the loss will not be guaranteed.

Every year I have to buy at least one new jersey. I am also not allowed to wear jerseys of players who are no longer on the team (except when superceded by the "both teams playing" rule).

Every year I get a bunch of signatures on a brand new hat at the season ticket holder party. That hat becomes my "playoff hat" for that year, and can't be worn until the playoffs, but must be worn every playoff game. It can't be used at any other time (including playoffs in other years).

If the game is on both local and national TV, I have to watch the local feed.

When attending the game, I always pre-game at the same restaurant after a win, and always switch to a different restaurant after a loss.

When Eric Fehr is playing, if I compliment him, he doesn't play well, and if I insult him, he scores (unless I do it on purpose in an attempt to invoke this rule).

Mathieu Perreault is pronounced "Purr-Oh" only if he is playing well; otherwise it is pronounced "Purr-Alt". This makes his performance improve.

Never say the word 'shutout' between game start and game end, unless they have already allowed a goal AND play has started again (ruling out the possibility of the goal being overturned by review).

Never, under any circumstances, predict a shutout for my team.

When attending the game, there are two regular national anthem singers that are bad omens and two that are good omens. Always sing the national anthem, even if it is a bad omen singer.

When attending the game, only a home jersey may be worn. Away jerseys may only be worn when watching on TV.

I used to have a team flask that I took one shot from before every home game, but this actually proved to be bad luck so now it is not allowed ever.

There are more but I always have trouble listing them all; I usually only know if I've messed one up.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Mouse21*

every time the Avs play, they lose.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote