HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Countdown is on: 3 days till Jays Home Opener!

Closed Thread

Old
03-27-2013, 01:05 AM
Kadri 4 Hart

vCash: 500
I'm really interested to see how Melky does. I watched a lot of him on the Yankees and never thought he was going to be anything special, then he went to Atlanta and was awful, then had an absolutely great breakout season in KC and carried it over into SF..then you know the rest of the story.

He's been really good this spring which is great to see.

Remember a lot of people thought Braun would have a down year last season due to being caught and likely being off PEDs? He ended up having a career year in homers. Hopefully Melky can prove the doubters wrong.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:57 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri 4 Hart View Post
I'm really interested to see how Melky does. I watched a lot of him on the Yankees and never thought he was going to be anything special, then he went to Atlanta and was awful, then had an absolutely great breakout season in KC and carried it over into SF..then you know the rest of the story.

He's been really good this spring which is great to see.

Remember a lot of people thought Braun would have a down year last season due to being caught and likely being off PEDs? He ended up having a career year in homers. Hopefully Melky can prove the doubters wrong.
In fairness, Braun was an awesome hitter well before the PED concerns. Melky was ok-to-good prior to the last couple of years.

The good thing is that even if Melky is an average, somewhat replaceable LF, his contract won't be that bad.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 45 GP, 17-21-7 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
03-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralSwell View Post
Espn posted their projections for the season. They have the Jays winning the East by 6 games.

Toronto 94-68
Tampa 88-74
Boston 84-78
New York 83-79
Baltimore 82-80

They also have the Jays as the best record in the AL. One game ahead of the Angels and three ahead of the Tigers. Bring on the start of the season!
ESPN also was in love with the Jays last spring.

There are a lot of ifs that must be answered in order for the above to happen.

I'd like to see us win a series against Tampa, that's the first step I'd like to see. Home and away.

Old
03-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Pilky01
I hate Dion Phanuef

So, in spite of those projections, espn puts up a World Series Favourite poll....

Angles - 12%
Giants - 9%
Nationals - 15%
Tigers - 12%
Other - 52%

Old
03-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Kadri 4 Hart

Our team could be really good, but has a lot of question markets.

Dickey, 38 years old, coming off a career year and moving to the toughest division in baseball..yes even with the Sox and Yankees decline I think it still is.

Can Morrow and JJ stay healthy?

Will the wrist injury have an effect on Bautista? So far it hasn't this spring which is encouraging.

Can Melky still be good post-peds?

Lawrie already hurt, but will this be his breakout year like most of us hope?

Can Encarnacion repeat? I think so, I've always loved him and he finally stayed healthy and put the season together that many knew he could..but can he stay healthy again?

Really when it comes down to it, staying healthy will either make or break the Jays in 2013 IMO..

Last edited by Kadri 4 Hart: 03-27-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old
03-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
So, in spite of those projections, espn puts up a World Series Favourite poll....

Angles - 12%
Giants - 9%
Nationals - 15%
Tigers - 12%
Other - 52%

Well the Jays call into the Other category, and it's possible that a good portion of those votes were for them (not that we can prove that). Either way, it's a poll on an American site. Most Americans voting would vote for an American team, IMO.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Kadri 4 Hart

I don't think the Blue Jays should be considered a top 4 team to win the WS right now..we haven't proven anything yet. Although, I don't really know if the Angels should either..their pitching is very questionable right now. They are more of the 'sexy' pick though because of Trout-Pujols-Hamilton.

IMO it's right that Washington is the favorite, I'm expecting a monster season from Harper and they've got other good bats around him and a great staff.

Old
03-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Dwight K Schrute

Quote:
I don't think the Blue Jays should be considered a top 4 team to win the WS right now..we haven't proven anything yet. Although, I don't really know if the Angels should either..their pitching is very questionable right now. They are more of the 'sexy' pick though because of Trout-Pujols-Hamilton.

IMO it's right that Washington is the favorite, I'm expecting a monster season from Harper and they've got other good bats around him and a great staff.
And Washington has proven more?

Old
03-27-2013, 10:02 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i'll go for it and say we get 100 wins

Old
03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
And Washington has proven more?
Ugh, they won the NL last year.

They've proven A LOT more than the Jays. They'll probably be north of 102 wins.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post

Far easier division, as well.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:37 AM
TheKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Far easier division, as well.
With the type of health that you see maybe every 100 seasons. They got incredibly lucky in that regard.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:39 AM
Faltorvo

I just hope our batters and pitchers get a fair strike zone.

Old
03-27-2013, 10:46 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
I also don't agree with fangraphs rankings, you can't just base everything solely off numbers which is why all the projection sites out there are never accurate..I'm a huge fantasy addict and they are worthless to look at.

IMO the Rays have the best staff in the AL East, maybe that's just because I think Moore is going to have a big breakout year..he was really good last season after a really bad start, is only 23 and has great stuff.

My AL East pitching rankings would be

Tampa
Toronto
New York
Boston
Baltimore
I don't get the TB love. Everyone I listen to and read seem to be on TB...why? Can't be just the pitching, they have nothing other than Longoria and a great rotation. I'm not buying them. They'll finish 2nd because the rest of the division sucks.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:05 AM
Dwight K Schrute

Quote:

They won the division ONCE and lost in the Division Series. They have never proven they can win when it matters. Were talking about winning the WS here, getting in the playoffs in a bad division doesn't mean you have proven yourself. Ughhhh, right back at ya

Also, the Giants won the NL last year, no one else.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
They won the division ONCE and lost in the Division Series. They have never proven they can win when it matters. Were talking about winning the WS here, getting in the playoffs in a bad division doesn't mean you have proven yourself. Ughhhh, right back at ya

Also, the Giants won the NL last year, no one else.
I was responding to "Washington has proven more".

I think any competent Jays fan would switch rosters with the Nationals, and yes, they have proven more.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:

I think any competent Jays fan would switch rosters with the Nationals, and yes, they have proven more.
I am a fan of both. Raised in T.O. Live in DC. Get to see the Nationals an awful lot. I would give pause prior to trading rosters. This includes farm systems, position players, rotations and bullpens, et all. The organizations are not as far separated as you describe.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:15 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
I am a fan of both. Raised in T.O. Live in DC. Get to see the Nationals an awful lot. I would give pause prior to trading rosters. This includes farm systems, position players, rotations and bullpens, et all. The organizations are not as far separated as you describe.
Hmm, I do, but I appreciate your perspective.

They were very good last year, they added pieces, and Harper will be a beast. I personally think they're markedly better.

Also, to the understandable haters of the NL East, the Nationals put up better numbers against the Central and similar numbers against the West.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:18 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I just hope our batters and pitchers get a fair strike zone.
As poorly as it sounds, the addition of veterans who have been stars in other places, will aid the amount of respect every player on the Blue Jays receives. This should not be a factor in the way an Umpire calls a game, but its a fact of life.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Dwight K Schrute

Quote:

Competent Jays fan? Interesting choice of adjective. Oh... and no, they haven't proven more. They lost in the division series. That proves they are as good as the baltimore orioles. Pretty tough for the Bluejays to prove something when they haven't even taken the field yet. They have a completely overhauled roster and could easily outperform the Nationals. But I guess fans aren't 'competent' unless they agree with you?

Old
03-27-2013, 11:25 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Mike Wilner ‏@Wilnerness590 7m
John Gibbons says both Brett Cecil and Jeremy Jeffress have made the team. #Bluejays 25-man roster is set.

because there isnt much else to chose from?

Old
03-27-2013, 11:32 AM
captn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
In fairness, Braun was an awesome hitter well before the PED concerns. Melky was ok-to-good prior to the last couple of years.

The good thing is that even if Melky is an average, somewhat replaceable LF, his contract won't be that bad.
That doesn't mean Braun was off PEDs before or after.

Victor Conte recently said baseball drug test are more of a basic IQ test. You have to be incredibly stupid to fail them since players know when they will happen.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:34 AM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Competent Jays fan? Interesting choice of adjective. Oh... and no, they haven't proven more. They lost in the division series. That proves they are as good as the baltimore orioles. Pretty tough for the Bluejays to prove something when they haven't even taken the field yet. They have a completely overhauled roster and could easily outperform the Nationals. But I guess fans aren't 'competent' unless they agree with you?
Okay, no need to be all fussy.

So those 162 games they played, where they won more than any other team in the MLB, mean nothing? I can't believe I'm arguing that the Nationals have proven more than the Jays. THEY HAVE.

Now, we can compare the Jays and Nationals if you'd like, but I think there are many more question marks amongst the Jays than the Nats. Especially given we have an idea on the Nats (i.e. best regular season record) and still have yet to see anything from the Jays.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Hmm, I do, but I appreciate your perspective.

They were very good last year, they added pieces, and Harper will be a beast. I personally think they're markedly better.

Also, to the understandable haters of the NL East, the Nationals put up better numbers against the Central and similar numbers against the West.
I'm not quite sure they've improved by leaps and bounds. I understand your reasoning for believing so. Haren is done. Fastballs averaged 85 all spring, and he's been knocked around. Span will supply similar production to what they received out of CF last year. Worse off, he'll take at bats away from guys who were valuable last year like Tyler Moore and Roger Bernadina. Not a fan of Soriano either. Clippard or Storen should be closing instead. Something tells me Soriano will stick in the spot this year because of his ticket, and he has looked like poop this spring (velocity down, ball up, plenty of hits).

Like with any team that's doing well, they're going to look amazing from afar. You watch a team everyday, and you tend to identify more warts.

Old
03-27-2013, 11:37 AM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
Mike Wilner ‏@Wilnerness590 7m
John Gibbons says both Brett Cecil and Jeremy Jeffress have made the team. #Bluejays 25-man roster is set.

because there isnt much else to chose from?
Because they are out of options, and both have too much value to lose for nothing.

Closed Thread