HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Botta on Marek vs. Wyshynski

Old
03-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Trumanperro

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Chris Botta on Marek vs. Wyshynski

Chris Botta was on Marek vs. Wyshynski today, which for all of you who are not familiar, is an awesome daily podcast about hockey. Both guys are crazy knowledgeable and have a great sense of humor. It makes for an entertaining podcast. A little background, Jeff Marek if a corespondent for SportsNet in Canada and Greg Wyshynski is a die hard Devils fan that lives in DC and writes for yahoo sports (puck daddy).

Anyway Botta was on today talking about the Isles. Most of the information is stuff we know. He brings up some interesting points/praise for JT and some good stories about Milbury. However, he said something that confirms all of our suspicions. He mentions how he has it from good sources within the organization that Weight is indeed being groomed for the head coaching job and that there is NO CHANCE that Cappy gets fired until Weight is ready. What do you guys think? I like Weight, but is this more of Charlie giving friends jobs?

Anyway below is the link the interview starts somewhere around the 25 min. mark. Give these guys a listen you wont be disappointed.

MvsW 3-18-2013

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:47 AM
iLandHer

I don't see a minute marker...so I have to guess? Haha

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:12 AM
xECK29x

Botta doesn't exactly have sources anymore, not sure if I would trust him. At this point if the team and players respect Weight as much as they do and will play hard under him Im fine with it.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:37 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Botta doesn't exactly have sources anymore
And you know this how?

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:24 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Big fan of MvW pretty good show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
And you know this how?
Because he is no longer in with the organization... I'm sure he's still got contacts but anything he has said since his falling out has been pretty unreliable/speculation.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:32 AM
IslandersFan17

Weight is a decorated american born hockey player that IMO would make a fantastic coach. Not just because of the fire you see in the guy but because you have seen the improvements in the areas of the roster the guy controls. i.e. the PP.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:47 AM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
What's wrong with grooming someone to be coach?

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:49 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
And you know this how?
A lot of what I get from him is just venom about the org, everything he has called post his credentials being yanked has been wrong.

Old
03-19-2013, 07:50 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
Nothing, but I'm sure this will turn into a 5 page topic

Old
03-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Didn't think it was anything new.. Doesn't take sources to see that Doug weight has serious clout in the organization and he's eventually going to be the man behind the bench.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:05 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Weight is a decorated american born hockey player that IMO would make a fantastic coach. Not just because of the fire you see in the guy but because you have seen the improvements in the areas of the roster the guy controls. i.e. the PP.
When cappy was sick we sucked even worae than normal. This included the 9 men on the ice incident. Weight hasnt shown nothing...wouldnt give him the job.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Isles Junkie

LOL @ Mike Milbury throwing at Steve Sommers head in an Islanders v WFAN softball game.

Great podcast, never heard it before. Thanks OP.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:35 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
Chris Botta was on Marek vs. Wyshynski today, which for all of you who are not familiar, is an awesome daily podcast about hockey. Both guys are crazy knowledgeable and have a great sense of humor. It makes for an entertaining podcast. A little background, Jeff Marek if a corespondent for SportsNet in Canada and Greg Wyshynski is a die hard Devils fan that lives in DC and writes for yahoo sports (puck daddy).

Anyway Botta was on today talking about the Isles. Most of the information is stuff we know. He brings up some interesting points/praise for JT and some good stories about Milbury. However, he said something that confirms all of our suspicions. He mentions how he has it from good sources within the organization that Weight is indeed being groomed for the head coaching job and that there is NO CHANCE that Cappy gets fired until Weight is ready. What do you guys think? I like Weight, but is this more of Charlie giving friends jobs?

Anyway below is the link the interview starts somewhere around the 25 min. mark. Give these guys a listen you wont be disappointed.

MvsW 3-18-2013
Im ok with Weight being groomed. The guy is incredibly passionate and he chose to stick around here. Not to mention hes one of the best American born players to ever play in the NHL, so he has legit credentials, instead of being a meh coach in the AHL.

Now, does he have anything in terms of coaching experience? No, but hes been around quite a few great coaches and players in his 20+ years in the NHL. Dont think the PP being so effective doesnt have anything to do wuth Dougie...well that and JT, but still.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:54 AM
iLandHer

Quote:
Nothing is wrong with grooming the right person for a coaching position. The problem I have with this is that just because Weight was a tremendous player when he was in the NHL, that doesn't mean that he'll be a great coach.

There is a reason Gretzky isn't coaching anymore, not every great player has the ability to become a great coach.

Will Weight be a good coach? Possibly. Too soon to tell, and I'd rather have someone who is a proven NHL coach over someone this organization is 'grooming' to be an NHL coach under a guy who isn't even an NHL coach.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:08 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Why do I think that Weight's "grooming" will be done and he'll be "ready" to be an NHL head coach as soon as Cappy's current contract expires (meaning Wang doesn't have to pay them both).

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:55 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Nothing is wrong with grooming the right person for a coaching position. The problem I have with this is that just because Weight was a tremendous player when he was in the NHL, that doesn't mean that he'll be a great coach.

There is a reason Gretzky isn't coaching anymore, not every great player has the ability to become a great coach.

Will Weight be a good coach? Possibly. Too soon to tell, and I'd rather have someone who is a proven NHL coach over someone this organization is 'grooming' to be an NHL coach under a guy who isn't even an NHL coach.
The thing is, you don't know what intangibles Weight carries with him in the locker room or his understanding of the game or his style in managing people, especially high-performance, highly-paid athletes. He may excel in those areas. He was a captain on many teams. Perhaps the "brain trust" say these attributes and DW expressed an interest and thus, he's being groomed to be a coach.

I too would rather a proven NHL coach right now. But that doesn't preclude that DW may develop into a good NHL coach.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 01:06 PM
cjdv16

Not a surprise.

1. All coaches, including Capuano know they have a shelf-life.
2. Isles need to keep Weight happy so he doesn't jump ship.
3. Most teams, whether they realize it or not, are grooming their assistant coaches.

This is really no biggie.

I don't think it means Capuano's time is up by any means. Moreso that if things go awry, then Doug Weight is the next in line.

Is Capuano keeping the seat warm? In some respects yes, but again, I'm sure the Isles would rather having things go well to where they don't need to think about a coaching change.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Isles72

maybe a new owner comes in and tosses everyone out on their ass , including weight

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Why do I think that Weight's "grooming" will be done and he'll be "ready" to be an NHL head coach as soon as Cappy's current contract expires (meaning Wang doesn't have to pay them both).
Because you're reasonably applying what you know about this organization.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
maybe a new owner comes in and tosses everyone out on their ass , including weight
I don't know if Weight will be a good head coach or not, but, I would like to keep him in the organization in one respect or another. Guys like him are hard to come by.

I really felt the same way when we let Mike Sillinger go to the Oilers. If we can't afford to have useful vets on the ice, at least have them in the staff working with the guys in someway or another.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 03:12 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
The thing is, you don't know what intangibles Weight carries with him in the locker room or his understanding of the game or his style in managing people, especially high-performance, highly-paid athletes. He may excel in those areas. He was a captain on many teams. Perhaps the "brain trust" say these attributes and DW expressed an interest and thus, he's being groomed to be a coach.

I too would rather a proven NHL coach right now. But that doesn't preclude that DW may develop into a good NHL coach.
I understand I don't know his intangibles, but I'd still rather an NHL proven coach. Being a captain is different than being a coach. When you're a captain, you follow orders from the coach and get everyone on board. When you're the coach, you give orders.

He may do well, he may not...but I don't like taking risks with a young team when it isn't necessary.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:41 PM
Sparksrus3

Doug is just more dead Weight.

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Only hot garbage comes out of Botta's mouth. He is simply assuming this like we all have.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
I dont have any problem with Weight being groomed as a head coach. And to those who want s "proven HC." What happens if Weight ends up leaving and goes to another team and is successful, and becomes a "proven NHL coach"? The same lot of you are going to kicking and screaming and crying that we should have kept him. You dont know what you have until its gone.

These players respect Doug. You can see it, and hear it when they talk about him. Players respect you, they will listen.

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
I dont have any problem with Weight being groomed as a head coach. And to those who want s "proven HC." What happens if Weight ends up leaving and goes to another team and is successful, and becomes a "proven NHL coach"? The same lot of you are going to kicking and screaming and crying that we should have kept him. You dont know what you have until its gone.

These players respect Doug. You can see it, and hear it when they talk about him. Players respect you, they will listen.
I am definitely one of the "proven HC" guys but this is a valid point. At this point as long as it's not Capuano i am happy.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote