HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

My Takeaway from a Brutal Game

Old
03-31-2013, 02:12 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
My Takeaway from a Brutal Game

I don't want to read too much into a freak game.
Until today, I believed the Wings should try to be buyers -- but smart buyers, trading second tier prospects and depth for guys who can help.

However, if Zetterberg is out for two weeks or more, Holland needs to go into sell mode.

This team can not handle losing Datsyuk or Zetterberg at this stage of the game.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:17 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

I don't see Holland buying as long as he has the philosophy that anything thing can happen if you just get into the playoffs. I would rather see him become a seller and collect as many draft picks as he possibly can.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:18 PM
Frk It
Improve our defense

1 game should never alter whether you buy or sell.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:19 PM
obey86

Should release Howard after today's game. Howie proponents need to remember games like today....he's clearly not NHL caliber as evidenced today.

obey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by obey86 View Post
Should release Howard after today's game. Howie proponents need to remember games like today....he's clearly not NHL caliber as evidenced today.
Are you saying he belongs in the AHL?

Anchor Town is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:21 PM
detredWINgs

What is "sell" mode for this team?

I hope its not trading Datsyuk and Zetterberg are out of the question, because that's out of the question for a number of reasons, several of which are business/revenue related.

But if we mean putting Filppula, White, Miller, and Eaves on the table for picks/prospects? Absolutely. If it means being open to putting guys like Abdelkader, Tootoo, Quincey, and Franzen (if anyone can stomach that contract) on the table for an upgrade elsewhere? Absolutely.

And personally, I don't see shipping out guys like Miller, White and Filppula as incongruous with continuing to take a run at the playoffs. Its a win-win situation, if you ask me.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:21 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
1 game should never alter whether you buy or sell.
It's not the game. It's Zetterberg's injury

Old
03-31-2013, 02:22 PM
obey86

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Are you saying he belongs in the AHL?
Absolutely. Howard proponents need to remember games like today. Today's game just proves the point he is a backup goalie at best.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:22 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Please keep your nonsense in the Howard thread. Thanks

Old
03-31-2013, 02:23 PM
Frk It
Improve our defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
It's not the game. It's Zetterberg's injury
Ok that would make more sense, I thought it was just more of a reaction to us getting beaten badly.

Frk It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
detredWINgs

Quote:
Why don't you just ask people not to take you seriously?

Really, that's what you're doing with these comments - destroying any credibility for future debates.

Old
obey86

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
What is "sell" mode for this team?

I hope its not trading Datsyuk and Zetterberg are out of the question, because that's out of the question for a number of reasons, several of which are business/revenue related.

But if we mean putting Filppula, White, Miller, and Eaves on the table for picks/prospects? Absolutely. If it means being open to putting guys like Abdelkader, Tootoo, Quincey, and Franzen (if anyone can stomach that contract) on the table for an upgrade elsewhere? Absolutely.

And personally, I don't see shipping out guys like Miller, White and Filppula as incongruous with continuing to take a run at the playoffs. Its a win-win situation, if you ask me.
Problem is, who's going to give up anything for Eaves, Miller, Abdelkader, and Tootoo type players? Dime a dozen...not really worth trading for IMO.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:24 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Absolutely. Howard proponents need to remember games like today. Today's game just proves the point he is a backup goalie at best.
Can you tell me one time where anyone except Detroit Sport Guy has ever suggested that Howie is a backup, or even worse than an average NHL starter?

You;d probably have to go back to 2009 for that..

Last edited by JeffMangum: 03-31-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old
03-31-2013, 02:27 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Problem is, who's going to give up anything for Eaves, Miller, Abdelkader, and Tootoo type players? Dime a dozen...not really worth trading for IMO.
Yes, it is.

If you get a 2nd for White, a 4th for Eaves and a 2nd for Cleary and 4th for Miller -- Not only have you gained draft picks, you've forced Babcock to play kids for the rest of the season.

I've been against the idea of trading Flip, but if Z is hurt and we aren't budging on his salary demand -- trade him.

You'll probably get a first and a prospect

Old
03-31-2013, 02:30 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Yes, it is.

If you get a 2nd for White, a 4th for Eaves and a 2nd for Cleary and 4th for Miller -- Not only have you gained draft picks, you've forced Babcock to play kids for the rest of the season.

I've been against the idea of trading Flip, but if Z is hurt and we aren't budging on his salary demand -- trade him.

Flip is going to damage contract talks in a significant way if this (Today's game) is any indicator of what is happening. He already had a poor start to the season attempting to be the second line center when Z and Datsyuk were together. If he cannot do anything in that role in however long Z is out, he can kiss his 5 million plus goodbye, well at least from us, maybe not from a terrible organization like Calgary that might pay him.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
detredWINgs

Quote:
Check out the trade rumors thread. People are in love with Abdelkader and Tootoo, and every team wants to bulk up their 4th line going into the playoffs, especially with PKers like Miller and Eaves.

Guys like Segal, Smithson, Powe, Klinkhammer, Winchester, etc. tend to get thrown around for late picks or futures at the deadline.

Old
Henkka

Quote:
I don't want to read too much into a freak game.
Until today, I believed the Wings should try to be buyers -- but smart buyers, trading second tier prospects and depth for guys who can help.

However, if Zetterberg is out for two weeks or more, Holland needs to go into sell mode.

This team can not handle losing Datsyuk or Zetterberg at this stage of the game.
I agree, but only because of Zeta's injury. One game result does not change my opinions anywhere.

Sell:

White
Cola
Cleary
Miller
Eaves
Filppula

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:32 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Yes, it is.

This is obviously the main idea behind cutting ties with a veteran even for a 7th round pick.

Not to mention, Kenny won't have to cry in his cornflakes about cutting ties with a veteran if he can send them to a team that has a better chance of winning the Cup than we do.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:32 PM
obey86

Quote:
Yes, it is.

No, I mean from the other team's perspective. I don't see the motivation behind a team in playoff contention wanting to give up significant assets (anything more than like a 7th) for someone like Eaves (for example). I wouldn't give up a 4th for Eaves or a 2nd for Cleary if I was a cup contending team. If the Wings can get that they should jump on it.

If Flip is truly worth a 1st and a prospect then damn, I guess i've really underestimated what these players are worth in a trade.

I'm with you though, im not against trading any of those players given the fact this team is going nowhere this postseason.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:34 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Flip is going to damage contract talks in a significant way if this (Today's game) is any indicator of what is happening. He already had a poor start to the season attempting to be the second line center when Z and Datsyuk were together. If he cannot do anything in that role in however long Z is out, he can kiss his 5 million plus goodbye, well at least from us, maybe not from a terrible organization like Calgary that might pay him.
I didn't think Flip was that bad today.

The problem today was our defensemen and goalie sucked.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:34 PM
obey86

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Check out the trade rumors thread. People are in love with Abdelkader and Tootoo, and every team wants to bulk up their 4th line going into the playoffs, especially with PKers like Miller and Eaves.

Guys like Segal, Smithson, Powe, Klinkhammer, Winchester, etc. tend to get thrown around for late picks or futures at the deadline.
That seems crazy to me, but hey, whatever I guess.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:36 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
No, I mean from the other team's perspective. I don't see the motivation behind a team in playoff contention wanting to give up significant assets (anything more than like a 7th) for someone like Eaves (for example). I wouldn't give up a 4th for Eaves or a 2nd for Cleary if I was a cup contending team. If the Wings can get that they should jump on it.

If Flip is truly worth a 1st and a prospect then damn, I guess i've really underestimated what these players are worth in a trade.

I'm with you though, im not against trading any of those players given the fact this team is going nowhere this postseason.
I don't know what Eaves would get as he still has a year, cannot tell whether that is a good or bad thing.

But the values attached to White, Cleary and Filppula are quite close to what it would probably be.

The franchise players don't generally go for whatever their team demands, especially their fans, but interestingly enough the other trades are often significant overpayment. Kelly, Fisher, Peverely, Kaberle, Gaustad, just this year Murray and Morrow. All went for steep values.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:37 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

Some team who wants a righthander with experience on the PK will give up a 4th or 5th for Eaves.
Some team looking for veteran grit will pay a 2nd or 3rd for Cleary. Some team looking for a righthanded shot for their PP will see a need for White.

How many stanley cup winning, two way centers are there on the market? Flip has a lot of value. I'm on the fence about trading him because we may still need him

Old
03-31-2013, 02:37 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
I didn't think Flip was that bad today.

The problem today was our defensemen and goalie sucked.
I don't know that he was either, just pointing out a lot of our lows on the season have now come with him in the second line role, where he doesn't produced and we get hammered. If he wants center money, at some point he has to look pretty good as a center, no?

Old
03-31-2013, 02:41 PM
probertrules24

Quote:
Sorry to keep this going Bob, I realizse you don't want to turn this into a Howard debate.

I will remember this game from Howard just like I remember the other games.

Date Team Opp Decision MIN SO GA SHA
2/10/2013 Det LA W 60:00 0 2 47
2/23/2013 Det Nas W 60:00 1 0 33
3/05/2013 Det Col W 60:00 0 1 37
3/07/2013 Det Edm W 60:00 1 0 22
3/15/2013 Det Edm W 63:29 0 2 32
3/16/2013 Det Van W 59:58 0 2 35
3/22/2013 Det Ana W 60:00 0 1 34
3/24/2013 Det Ana W 59:50 0 1 34

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote