HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Forgotten Prospect

Closed Thread

Old
09-23-2003, 06:20 PM
Murmansk16

vCash: 500
Forgotten Prospect

With Yzerman probably gone after this season, and the Wings' lack of size at center, there is one prospect who could fit in very well, and will be ready next year: Par Backer. He's 6'1", a good two way center, and I think could step right in as the third line center, giving the Wings some much needed size there. EliteProspects compares him to Zetterberg, with slightly less offensive potential.

It will be interesting to follow Backer's progress this season. Perhaps next season will see several new Wings: Grigorenko, Backer, Kronwall, perhaps Fleischman and Kopecky, and maybe Bootland. There's a lot of size, and some grit in that group of players. I'm sure they won't all make it next year, since not that many spots will be open on the roster. But its good to have them available, in case of need.

Old
09-24-2003, 06:56 AM
PigPen

He's not forgotten. I'd personally like to see them bring him over and play a season in G.R. He's what, 22 now? He's probably put on some weight since his draft year so his size won't be as much a concern. Faceoffs can be improved as well. If not, then move him to the wing where he might be best utilized.

It's time they start taking a better look at their lower tier prospects and not focus on just the stars. The wings' haven't turned out any good roleplayers since 96-97 (Knuble, Holmstrom) and now I think that's what's starting to hurt them.

Kronwall, Bootland and Grigerenko will be given every chance to make the lineup in 04, and hopefully they do. From how much Matt Ellis has improved, he might have an outside chance at the roster in 04 as well. He went from being an average skater, with below average acceleration to an above average skater with excellent acceleration.
Fleischmann is still 2 years away, though he has impressed me quite a bit with how much he's improved since his draft year.
Kopecky...well, I like his size and passing skills, but aside from those there's little else to like.

It's about time that wings' management starts giving more of it's draftees and younger players a chance to make a bigger impact. Hopefully some of the older guys retire so that the younger players actually get some ice time to prove whether they can make it or not.

Players who will most likely be gone after this year are...

Yzerman (Hopefully)
Chelios
Hasek
Hull (Hopefully not)

I think Shanahan has about 3 good seasons left in him after 03-04 and it's 50/50 with Lidstrom, whether or not he returns to sweden.

Lets just hope that Dandeneault and Williams or Devereaux are moved so that some other players can come in and take their place.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Murmansk16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
He's not forgotten. I'd personally like to see them bring him over and play a season in G.R. He's what, 22 now? He's probably put on some weight since his draft year so his size won't be as much a concern. Faceoffs can be improved as well. If not, then move him to the wing where he might be best utilized.
Backer is still just 21. He'll turn 22 in January.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:32 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
kopecky is a twig man. I hear he's 6'3, 187 or so. I know a kid who is the same size, 6'3, like 185 and he's a wuss, and a stick figure. Kop need to add atleast 15 more lbs of muscle badly before he's considered a roster spot, now if he got these 15 more lbs of muscle, he'd be a pretty nice prospect

Closed Thread