HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

EA CEO steps down

Old
03-18-2013, 04:50 PM
XX
Lots of Try

vCash: 500
Quote:
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced that John Riccitiello will step down as Chief Executive Officer and as a member of the Board of Directors, effective March 30. The Board has appointed Larry Probst as Executive Chairman to ensure a smooth transition and to lead EA's executive team while the Board conducts a search for a permanent CEO. The Board will consider internal and external candidates with the assistance of a leading executive search firm.
http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail...leaseID=749234

So it begins.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
It will be a corporate hire though. Wont affect anything with regards to EA's policies. Unless they do something drastic, which I would not expect from EA.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 04:59 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Well, with the amount of PR nightmares that EA has had over the last couple of years, it's no surprise.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

EA CEO steps down

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/18/e...man/#continued

He quit because they didn't make enough money.
They were very greedy in their money making schemes, DLC and whatnot.

So what can they do now?

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

EA has been bad and getting worse since John Riccitiello has been CEO. So this is no surprise, I just wish it happened sooner - I am sure he was pushed out the door rather than did it on his own. I hope the new CEO does change some policy, most notably in regards to the DLC (nickel and dimeing) model their games have taken over the last few years.

Also, look at the massive failures of EA's AAA titles over the past few years (since he has been CEO).

DA2 was horrible and was never fixed
ME3 - while a good game was a disaster towards the end and needed a free DLC to make it better
SimCity - well we are all seeing this
Dead Space 3 - have not played (will be my free Simcity game) but was apparently a major dissapointment
Total rehash of their BF games, adding nothing or very little(have not played)
SWtoR - a disaster of epic proportions
Command and conquer - horrible
Crysis 3 - poorly rated (have not played)
Spore - major letdown

and the list goes on...

Sure the CEO does not make the games but he needs to have some idea of what is going on. This is some of the best news in gaming in a very long time. EA has so many great IPs and with someone who can oversee it properly would be great.

PS. Will be picking up Dead Space 3 for my free-bee

Belamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:35 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Wow, who the hell are their shareholders?

I cannot stand EA for the life of me, but maybe we should hate them (shareholders) than the actually company?!

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

copy and pasted from the SimCity tread.

EA has been bad and getting worse since John Riccitiello has been CEO. So this is no surprise, I just wish it happened sooner - I am sure he was pushed out the door rather than did it on his own. I hope the new CEO does change some policy, most notably in regards to the DLC (nickel and dimeing) model their games have taken over the last few years.

Also, look at the massive failures of EA's AAA titles over the past few years (since he has been CEO).

DA2 was horrible and was never fixed
ME3 - while a good game was a disaster towards the end and needed a free DLC to make it better
SimCity - well we are all seeing this
Dead Space 3 - have not played (will be my free Simcity game) but was apparently a major dissapointment
Total rehash of their BF games, adding nothing or very little(have not played)
SWtoR - a disaster of epic proportions
Command and conquer - horrible
Crysis 3 - poorly rated (have not played)
Spore - major letdown

and the list goes on...

Sure the CEO does not make the games but he needs to have some idea of what is going on. This is some of the best news in gaming in a very long time. EA has so many great IPs and with someone who can oversee it properly would be great.

PS. Will be picking up Dead Space 3 for my free-bee

Belamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 06:09 PM
XX
Lots of Try

He was actually fired, according to industry analysts. A sacrifice to appease those slamming the company continually over their missteps.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:05 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Wow, who the hell are their shareholders?

I cannot stand EA for the life of me, but maybe we should hate them (shareholders) than the actually company?!
The big shareholders in EA are large groups of Mutual fund companies:

http://investors.morningstar.com/own...ajor.html?t=EA

Old
03-18-2013, 07:18 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
He was actually fired, according to industry analysts. A sacrifice to appease those slamming the company continually over their missteps.
And that means a lot, IMO.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:23 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
The big shareholders in EA are large groups of Mutual fund companies:

http://investors.morningstar.com/own...ajor.html?t=EA
This is an area I'm fascinated by. You have analysts that have to sit there and price this stock as a buy, sell or hold. But most of them only look at the financials. They see the gaudy revenue numbers and think "surely this company is worth holding on to. It's a ginormous video game company. The video game sector is growing!" But Joe blow gamer knows that EA is another Dead Space 3 or Warfighter away from being in serious trouble. They are likely all-in on Battlefield 4 and Dragon Age 3. The sheer amount of consumer goodwill that EA has burned through in the last 3-4 years is absolutely staggering.

EA's costs are not proportional with their revenue, and I think they downsize in a major way or face the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
And that means a lot, IMO.
It might appease a few institutional holders, but the public knows better. It will take a major change in character for EA to pull out of this.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:29 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:

It might appease a few institutional holders, but the public knows better. It will take a major change in character for EA to pull out of this.
Firing the CEO is a pretty drastic step. I think the company realizes just how little public support it has right now. So I view it as a positive. We'll see.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:46 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The CEO has the duty to make changes when he sees the quality of the product his company puts out diminishing. Add that to the heaps of negative press for the company and the fact that consumers regard the company very lowly and you have a recipe for change.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Leafs at Knight
#WeTheSouthernON

The fall of EA takes another blow

Leafs at Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Say what you want, but I probably didn't give one monkeycrap about any EA games in 2007 when Ricitello got in there, and now there are a half-dozen franchises that I'm still interested in.

And on my top 10 of the last generation, I think they got four games on there. That ain't not bad.

Hopefully this gets Peter Moore in as CEO. Peter Moore is awesome.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:09 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
This is an area I'm fascinated by. You have analysts that have to sit there and price this stock as a buy, sell or hold. But most of them only look at the financials. They see the gaudy revenue numbers and think "surely this company is worth holding on to. It's a ginormous video game company. The video game sector is growing!" But Joe blow gamer knows that EA is another Dead Space 3 or Warfighter away from being in serious trouble. They are likely all-in on Battlefield 4 and Dragon Age 3. The sheer amount of consumer goodwill that EA has burned through in the last 3-4 years is absolutely staggering.

EA's costs are not proportional with their revenue, and I think they downsize in a major way or face the music.
It really is a generational thing too.

I'm late 20's now but those over 40 are, generally, not at all into game cultural in general or even net cultural (mostly).

This was also seen last year with the SOPA act controversy in the USA. Congress was being pushed by massive companies to completely stifle online content through crippling legislation that would give full internet control to them through copy-right restrictions.

So many websites and companies fought back that realized it would literally cripple the internet in the USA that is was cancelled. People blame congress, but really those in congress have almost zero knowledge of the internet and what is happening online.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:09 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 0
Hopefully this brings about SimTower and SimEarth reboots but I'll settle for less broken games. For as much crap as they're getting for SimCity, it's not even the most broken EA game I've bought in recent years (and I haven't played the big well-known disasters). It took until NHL 13 was out before NHL 12 was stable on my PS3 - it crashed or froze every couple games, and only successfully loaded my save files every 5 or 6 attempts.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:12 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
Say what you want, but I probably didn't give one monkeycrap about any EA games in 2007 when Ricitello got in there, and now there are a half-dozen franchises that I'm still interested in.

And on my top 10 of the last generation, I think they got four games on there. That ain't not bad.

Hopefully this gets Peter Moore in as CEO. Peter Moore is awesome.
There's only 1 EA franchise I even care about these days and that was almost completely destroyed in the last game... Mass Effect.

Even NHL to me is basically 'meh' the only reason I play it now is for Online GM mode and even that is just painful to play. I had a serious problem with a bug in that mode too and when I sent in a ticket to EA their response said 5-10 business days for an email response... they didn't respond back for 4 months.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:34 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Battlefield 4
Isn't BF4 gonna be all "monetized" to hell? Or is that not yet confirmed?

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 08:56 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Isn't BF4 gonna be all "monetized" to hell? Or is that not yet confirmed?
If they ever confirm that, it will be after a significant amount of pre-orders are in. That would be the final straw. Premium was bad enough...

Old
03-18-2013, 09:29 PM
awesomo
HARD!

well deserved firing.

awesomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:47 PM
1UP

It's about time EA is starting to feel the heat about it's "Buy a company, hype their next release to hell and back, force it out of the door as quickly as possible, and then don't support it" moneygrubbing strategy.

I'll never forget what they did to Westwood. NEVER.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Harbinger
Oppose and Disagree

What did they do to west wood?

Harbinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:48 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHerb View Post
What did they do to west wood?
Killed it off. Along with a long list of developers. Basically, corporations are risk averse. They do not like new IP. This is why when they had to build a WoW competitor they went out and got the best license possible (Star Wars) in order to maximize appeal. This is why you see 3,4,5 sequels to a game, and an emphasis on yearly releases. It's all about maximizing revenue. Investing into a game that takes years to develop without any established brand is a risk they aren't willing to take.

So what do you do? You go out and acquire studios that have IP you want to exploit. DICE and Bioware, for example. EA then, through its decidedly corporate actions, runs those studios into the ground. Because it becomes about meeting deadlines and revenue targets, and not making a quality product, which is what made those studios successful in the first place. Once they've used up the IP for what it's worth, they shutter the studio.

Westwood was one of the victims.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:28 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

I forgot how good BattleTech was back in the day.