HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Hawks @ Avs |3/18/2013| 7pm | To Tank or Not to Tank, is the question?

Old
03-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Landeslog

vCash: 500
Beer prices aren't awful when you consider the Pepsi Center has been offering craft beers for only $.50 extra. You can get a Dale's for slightly more than a Coors.

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:10 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Wait...for realsies?
ya man, hell I even signed it and guess when that was? 2011. And he is still HC...

Congo Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:12 PM
rpontbriand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
He is the main issues IMO. This team is too talented, they've been healthy for a little while, and they have too much character throughout the lineup to be this inconsistant, and have so many underperforming players year in and year out under his watch, and in the 4th year of a rebuild.

They're just too good to still be making so many unnecessary mistakes every game.
Just not a fan on blaming one thing or in this case person for a cluster this big. Plenty of talent and goal and for the most part the top 3 lines. The D? Its horrible. I am getting to the point in thinking that EJ is not a number 1 D and maybe and adequate 2. Maybe better D will make him player better but right now I am not impressed at all.

rpontbriand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:13 PM
landesberg
p stastny

Problems with this team:
  • Cannot properly enter the offensive zone, keep puck possession off of the dump and chase
  • Turnovers in the defensive zone, behind the net and down low, leaves the goaltender dead in the water when the opposition gets a chance right out in front
  • Cannot make the simple passes out of the defensive zone without getting the puck tipped by a defender and losing possession in the neutral zone
  • Powerplay sucks, too much passing on the perimeter, can't enter the zone half the time because of the stupid entry method, almost disadvantageous to have one because we run 5 forwards and get caught by the shorthanded players
  • Defensemen cannot get a puck to the net, if they do, it's a girly wrister with no traffic in front
  • Offense comes from basically only two forwards, and occasionally, Stastny
  • Jones sucks and does nothing, same thing can be said about Zanon and O'Byrne
  • Hunwick, Zanon and O'Byrne logging big minutes; Barrie and Johnson getting the shaft
  • Giguere isn't a reliable backup, makes Varly have to play all the time and obviously the effects of fatigue will set in
  • Coaching sucks, will always suck, stupid line combinations, awarding bad players with more icetime, scratching and sending down players that are playing well
  • O'Brien thinks he has dangles and more often than not, the play results in a turnover or a missed opportunity
  • Some of the team's best offensive opportunities come from the forecheck of the 3rd and 4th line, where there's little talent to finish the chances created. Honestly McLeod's line gets more pressure than most of the other lines more often than not.
  • Fan attendance and presence sucks, though can't blame us for not wanting to show up or cheer for the product that this team ices

Positives:
  • Duchene looks like a star most of the time, still tries unrealistic moves sometimes to attempt to split the D rather than get a safe shot on net and a faceoff
  • Parenteau is a great signing, takes some lazy penalties from time to time but negligible considering the offense he generates
  • Barrie looked good when he was up, something to look forward to in the future
  • Varlamov looks really good whenever the defense in front of him plays a decent game
  • Landeskog is still Landeskog

Summary:
  • Need a puckmoving top 4 D
  • Need a goalscoring winger for Stastny, or need to trade him for assets
  • Need to get rid of the whole Sacco regime ASAP
  • Sherman should also be on the hotseat for piecing this defensive lineup together

Agree, disagree? Did I get everything?

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:14 PM
rpontbriand

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Stan needs to sell this team to someone who actually watches hockey

Then, in turn, that owner needs to fire Pierre Lacroix

Then, the replacement for Lacroix needs to fire Greg Sherman

Then, the replacement needs to fire this entire coaching staff

Then we'll start talking. Until then, I have no faith in this team
Ding, ding ding ding. We have a winner!

Old
03-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
This team is such a joke. It's depressing just listening to the post game interviews. Sacco, Landeskog, and Hejduk all sounded defeated. No fight in this team at all.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:16 PM
rpontbriand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I don't know about you, but whenever I read the word 'sweep', the last series we played against detroit comes to mind when Franzen scored 17 goals against us. Yeah, it was truly AWESOME.

I prefer to look at the big picture, yeah we stink and yeah we're going to finish in the bottom 5 but at some point, WE'RE going to be the ones beating the crap out of detroit.

Sneaking in, huh? NICE!

He played Greg Zanon, known league-wide as a bottom pairing d-man, the MOST minutes out of any d-man tonight. Our THREE WORST D-men out of those six, played the MOST MINUTES?!?!

How do you figure he's not the main issue!?!
How do you figure that kind of crap sits with the rest of the team?!?
It's happening EVERY NIGHT!
ZANNON = HUNWICK = ROB = SOB

Someone has to get those minutes out of that mess. EJ and Hejda have not been playing much better either.

Don't get me wrong Sacco needs to be gone! Another coach won't get us back in the playoffs in neither will that ever so wanted pick. Commitment from the top down is needed.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:17 PM
IceRat
#BallsOnTheTable

Zanon gets the most ice time by Succo while Q is benching Seabrook

IceRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:18 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
Stan needs to sell this team to someone who actually watches hockey

Then, in turn, that owner needs to fire Pierre Lacroix

Then, the replacement for Lacroix needs to fire Greg Sherman

Then, the replacement needs to fire this entire coaching staff

Then we'll start talking. Until then, I have no faith in this team
I don't have an issue with Greg Sherman to be honest i like the moves he's made. Problem is its probably lacroix who's influencing the moves so might as well fire them both. I wish we hire Burke so this franchise becomes relevant again. I hate their secretive and anti-media personality they have which makes it even harder to be a fan of this team.

TheFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:20 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post
I don't have an issue with Greg Sherman to be honest i like the moves he's made. Problem is its probably lacroix who's influencing the moves so might as well fire them both. I wish we hire Burke so this franchise becomes relevant again. I hate their secretive and anti-media personality they have which makes it even harder to be a fan of this team.
Brian Burke should never have anything to do with any part of the Colorado Avalanche Organization...and that includes selling the Concession items.

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:20 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRat View Post
Zanon gets the most ice time by Succo while Q is benching Seabrook
Hahahaha as if Sacco would ever do anything like that. Probably only benched O'Byrne because he was being nice giving him a rest

dahrougem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:21 PM
rpontbriand

Quote:
Sherman has been hot and cold for me. Like the McGinn and Downey trades but the EJ one is looking like a big TURD.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:22 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Brian Burke should never have anything to do with any part of the Colorado Avalanche Organization...and that includes selling the Concession items.
Why not? Yes he took a gamble with Kessel and it backfired but he made a lot of good moves, be it trades or free agent signings for the Leafs that has them in the position they are in today

Old
03-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpontbriand View Post
Just not a fan on blaming one thing or in this case person for a cluster this big. Plenty of talent and goal and for the most part the top 3 lines. The D? Its horrible. I am getting to the point in thinking that EJ is not a number 1 D and maybe and adequate 2. Maybe better D will make him player better but right now I am not impressed at all.
I'll move my response to this in the Sacco thread.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:23 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
I have an issue with Greg Sherman when the best defenceman he see's are Ryan O'Byrne, Greg Zanon, Shane O'Brien, and Matt Hunwick

Old
03-18-2013, 11:23 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Hopefully he won't be doing that. Then he would only be a few steps away from GM.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:24 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Hahahaha as if Sacco would ever do anything like that. Probably only benched O'Byrne because he was being nice giving him a rest
Curious, what is your issue with Sherman?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:30 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Why not? Yes he took a gamble with Kessel and it backfired but he made a lot of good moves, be it trades or free agent signings for the Leafs that has them in the position they are in today
Just my opinion, I do not think that he's a good GM. I would not want someone of his TV Personality representing the Avalanche.

I do not think that he's patient enough to make the right deals. We Avs fans KNEW we were in for a rebuild, Kroenke more or less announced it at the end of the season before we traded away Smyth.

What's frustrating for us is that theoretically we SHOULD be seeing some good signs from the rebuild, but this whole season, with Sacco at the helm of it, has seemingly been one HUMONGOUS step backwards. Sure there are bright spots, but not bright enough to compensate for the massive pile of crap the season has become.

Burke wouldn't be patient enough to deal with the beginning steps of a rebuild (as seen with the Kessel trade).

But again, just my opinion.

RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Free agent signings? In Toronto? Like Mike Komisarek? And Colby Armstrong? And Francois Beauchemin? And Jonas Gustavsson? Those free agent signings? One was traded, one was bought out, one just walked (once he wasn't injured anymore) and one has been a perpetual healthy scratch practically this entire season.

Bottom line, he gave up two first rounders that ended up being a #2 and a #9 overall pick because he sorely and egregiously overestimated his ability to turn things around in Toronto. He got a legit NHL scoring phenom with those picks, but then completely and utterly failed to surround that guy with actual NHL talent. It's true he managed to fleece Calgary and Anaheim, but even then he failed to get two things that could've made the Leafs a winner--a legit top line center and top-flight goaltending. What's worse is that Burke boldly declared that he would NEVER be short on goaltending again after what happened with Cloutier in Vancouver.

And worst of all, he stayed loyal to a lousy coach, only firing him after the guy badmouthed him in the press.

I do not want Burke anywhere near this organization either. I do hope he gets another shot, but he's proven that he is unable, or unwilling, to helm a rebuilding project. And like the Lacroix Brain Trust, he's been egregiously bad managing things in the salary cap era.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:45 PM
dsheehan73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Yet, he's our #1 D-man!!!! Bravo Sacco!

Zanon - 21:51
Hunwick - 21:07
O'Byrne - 20:52
EJ - 19:38
Hejda - 18:06
SoB - 15:35

Zanon! Zanon! He's our man, if he can't do it, no one can!

It's weird, it's almost as if you don't want us getting Seth Jones...

What concerns me most isn't that Johnson, who is our supposed #1 defenseman, didn't lead in icetime. It's that he rarely does, or if so, it isn't by much. Isn't someone w/ his supposed skill supposed be at 24-27 min/game? Especially telling given how weak the rest of our D our. Its either really concerning and an indication of his limited skill (and that we got totally screwed in the trade) or the incompetence of the coaching. I sure hope its the latter but games like tonight's are certainly concerning.

dsheehan73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:48 PM
Commander Enigma

From another board:

Quote:
So, I went to the Avs game tonight, coincidentally against the Chicago Blackhawks. I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I am a fan of live sports and a buddy organized a group thing for the "Guys Night Out" promotion. Cheap lower level tickets, a drink, etc. 3 of us were real hardcore hockey fans, and 3 of us were hardcore NBA fans. The latter 3 of us sat in our seats during the first period. During 1st intermission we found a spot to watch the Nuggets game as it was into the 4th quarter. With each passing minute, more people stop to watch. It didn't hurt that the Avs were getting dominated.

As OT is going on, 2nd intermission hits. And remember, you have a whole ton of Chicago fans too. Now the concourse is packed and nobody is moving. Security people tried to get people moving but finally gave up. It was a weird scene, especially with a live game going on not but 20 feet away, and oh yeah, no sound on the Nuggets game. The place erupted on the offensive goaltending and then McGee's block of the inbounds.

I'm just going to tell people I went to the Nuggets game tonight.
Sad, but true.

Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 11:56 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman Jones View Post
From another board:

Sad, but true.
I don't blame them, but those are the bandwagon fans who wish we could've kept Roy, Sakic, and Forsberg and have them play currently.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:00 AM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman Jones View Post
From another board:

Sad, but true.
Management should have been on this and told the security guy to taser someone who was unwilling to watch the Avs game.

The Pwnerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:06 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I don't blame them, but those are the bandwagon fans who wish we could've kept Roy, Sakic, and Forsberg and have them play currently.
Eh...I won't defend this team right now anymore than this team will defend the goalies they hang out to dry on a nightly basis. Nothing wrong with rooting for the Denver-based organization that has a front office that is honest and forthright with its fans and a coach who is one of the best tacticians in the league who actually puts out the BEST LINEUP HE CAN to win games.

Who would want to watch this team? I know I don't. I would MUCH rather watch the Nuggets, and this is coming from a guy who got burned out on the NBA a few years back. Maybe the Nuggets can bring me back once again.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 12:11 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Eh...I won't defend this team right now anymore than this team will defend the goalies they hang out to dry on a nightly basis. Nothing wrong with rooting for the Denver-based organization that has a front office that is honest and forthright with its fans and a coach who is one of the best tacticians in the league who actually puts out the BEST LINEUP HE CAN to win games.

Who would want to watch this team? I know I don't.
Trust me I am not defending this joke of a team, just was talking about how these guys are bandwagoners. They will say all this crap about how team X sucks, but the first sign of winning they jump back and root for team X and say things like, man I love this team or Oh man I rooted for this team since the glory days! Sort of nonsense.