HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around Hockey XI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-28-2013, 09:52 PM
major major

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Feaster had plenty. He had seven days with "a list" that most likely included five Stanley Cup contenders, and everyone in a holding pattern to see what he would do.

Even if he'd waited until the last minute, I can guarantee you he'd have gotten more than a late-1st and two C-level college prospects.

Also, Brenden Morrow was a pending UFA (still is), and yet Dallas got one of the top defenseman prospects in the NHL. Morrow hasn't had a good year in a while, and Iginla is Iginla.
No, Feaster really had no leverage. And it's not just the UFA thing. Iginla forced the move to Pittsburgh, even though other teams on his list offered more.

It's as if after we tentatively worked out a deal with the Rangers for Nash, Nash calls up Howson and says he won't go, trade me to the Penguins.

PS. Joe Morrow is not one of the top d-prospects in the NHL. Unless you define top as top 25 or something like that.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
No, Feaster really had no leverage. And it's not just the UFA thing. Iginla forced the move to Pittsburgh, even though other teams on his list offered more.

It's as if after we tentatively worked out a deal with the Rangers for Nash, Nash calls up Howson and says he won't go, trade me to the Penguins.

PS. Joe Morrow is not one of the top d-prospects in the NHL. Unless you define top as top 25 or something like that.
According to Jay Feaster, they gave Iginla the option to go to either team, and Iginla opted for Pittsburgh. I'm not sure where you heard otherwise, but unless Jay Feaster is very discreet and forgiving, I don't think Iginla was anything other than gentlemanly through the entire process.

Old
03-28-2013, 09:59 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
This post sums up the situation for Pittsburgh.

If Iginla, Morrow, and Murray are part of a Cup run for the Pens, then these are excellent trades. If they fail, then they just sold off a bunch of young and valuable assets for three guys who won't likely be in their lineup in September.

Long-term, this is beneficial to us.
I think your general point is true, but they gave up very very little in these deals. Of course, I think Joe Morrow is a disaster of a defenceman. But even if you like him, he is just one of 5 or 6 stud D prospects for the Penguins.

Last edited by major major: 03-28-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old
03-28-2013, 10:13 PM
major major

Quote:
According to Jay Feaster, they gave Iginla the option to go to either team, and Iginla opted for Pittsburgh. I'm not sure where you heard otherwise, but unless Jay Feaster is very discreet and forgiving, I don't think Iginla was anything other than gentlemanly through the entire process.
I'm not saying that what Feaster said is false, I don't really know, but Chiarelli said they had a deal worked out, and then things went silent for the rest of the day/evening. Calgary stopped answering the phones. I read this as something unexpected and dicey popping up, perhaps Iginla refusing the deal and the Flames trying to change that or up Pittsburgh's offer, which was clearly inferior to Boston's.

Either narrative, Feaster had no leverage.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
I think your general point is true, but they gave up very very little in these deals. Of course, I think Joe Morrow is a disaster of a defenceman. But even if you like him, he is just one of 5 or 6 stud D prospects for the Penguins.
Disaster? Hardly. In fact, I find him quite comparable to John Moore in his development. The fact that Dallas was willing to give up Brenden Morrow, and trade down two rounds in the draft, says a little bit about Joe Morrow and the type of player he can be.

Quote:
I'm not saying that what Feaster said is false, I don't really know, but Chiarelli said they had a deal worked out, and then things went silent for the rest of the day/evening. Calgary stopped answering the phones. I read this as something unexpected and dicey popping up, perhaps Iginla refusing the deal and the Flames trying to change that or up Pittsburgh's offer, which was clearly inferior to Boston's.

Either narrative, Feaster had no leverage.
Saying he had no leverage is entirely unfair. He could have hung on to Iginla. He could have traded him to any of the three other teams on his list. When a player provides this sort of list, it means he's willing to go to these teams. To veto a team from this list at a later date would be in poor class, and by all accounts, is entirely contradictory to what happened in this case. Feaster had two offers on the table, seemed to prefer the Boston offer, however gave Jarome the benefit of being able to choose which team he wanted to go to.

Unless you know something that the entire world - outside of Jay Feaster - doesn't know, then you are merely taking a shot in the dark and contradicting what everyone - including Jay Feaster and Jarome Iginla - is saying.

Old
03-28-2013, 11:37 PM
major major

Quote:
Disaster? Hardly. In fact, I find him quite comparable to John Moore in his development. The fact that Dallas was willing to give up Brenden Morrow, and trade down two rounds in the draft, says a little bit about Joe Morrow and the type of player he can be.

You know him more than I, and I'll gladly eat some crow if Joe Morrow turns into a good defenceman.

Saying he had no leverage is entirely unfair. He could have hung on to Iginla.

You get nothing if you hang on, that means if there is only one other option available, that counterparty can bargain you down to scraps. That's what no leverage means.

He could have traded him to any of the three other teams on his list.

Maybe so. But if you have a four team list, and you feel compelled to present the player with a choice among those teams, that is at best weak leverage.

When a player provides this sort of list, it means he's willing to go to these teams. To veto a team from this list at a later date would be in poor class, and by all accounts, is entirely contradictory to what happened in this case. Feaster had two offers on the table, seemed to prefer the Boston offer, however gave Jarome the benefit of being able to choose which team he wanted to go to.

Seemed to prefer the Boston offer, seemed?? It was Khochlachev (a real prospect) and what is very likely a better first rounder than the Pittsburgh first. Of course he preferred it.

Unless you know something that the entire world - outside of Jay Feaster - doesn't know, then you are merely taking a shot in the dark and contradicting what everyone - including Jay Feaster and Jarome Iginla - is saying.

I don't know anything more than what we all know. But I also don't take Feaster at his word.
My comments bolded.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:37 AM
davidbklyn

With how rotten this deal is for the Flames, not only compared to what Boston was offering but also in general given how good Iginla is (it's hard not to like that guy), I wonder if there was some understanding between Calgary and Iginla that he would resign next season. It seems like such a raw deal after he's been with them so long.

Baseless speculation, anyone?

Old
03-29-2013, 05:00 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
With how rotten this deal is for the Flames, not only compared to what Boston was offering but also in general given how good Iginla is (it's hard not to like that guy), I wonder if there was some understanding between Calgary and Iginla that he would resign next season. It seems like such a raw deal after he's been with them so long.

Baseless speculation, anyone?
I don't know if there is an understanding that Iginla will return, or if Iggy forced his way to the Pens, or if Jay Feaster is just such a nice guy that he would allow his player to go, not just to the best offer from a list of teams, but to the team of the players' choosing. But something is strange.

Old
03-30-2013, 03:21 PM
RDriesenUD

https://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie/s...87925906698240

Quote:
@TSNBobMcKenzie: BUF trades D Jordan Leopold to STL for draft picks. #tsn

Old
03-30-2013, 03:38 PM
InjuredChoker

2nd and conditional 5th. Fair value for both teams. Leopold hasn't looked great but no defensive D looks great on teams that suck. Generally. I expect him to look solid in St. Louis.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
2nd and conditional 5th. Fair value for both teams. Leopold hasn't looked great but no defensive D looks great on teams that suck. Generally. I expect him to look solid in St. Louis.
A second rounder plus for Leopold was a coup for the Sabres.... I wanted Leopold gone a month ago... horrible defenseman.. If Hitchcock thinks he will help good luck with that..

BTW, Buff is up tonight and fighting to make the playoffs even though I doubt they will...

Old
03-30-2013, 07:37 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
A second rounder plus for Leopold was a coup for the Sabres.... I wanted Leopold gone a month ago... horrible defenseman.. If Hitchcock thinks he will help good luck with that..

BTW, Buff is up tonight and fighting to make the playoffs even though I doubt they will...
Who on the Sabres, if anyone, should the CBJ try to trade for?

Old
03-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Who on the Sabres, if anyone, should the CBJ try to trade for?
Gerbe, Ennis, Stafford or if lucky Pomminville... All would mix well with the Richards game plan... They all know how to check but can score too, they play with emotion and have speed. Not super stars by any means but hard workers... They remind me of Calvert and Atkinson. (Stafford has been my favorite over the years but slumping of late)

Old
03-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Gerbe, Ennis, Stafford or if lucky Pomminville... All would mix well with the Richards game plan... They all know how to check but can score too, they play with emotion and have speed. Not super stars by any means but hard workers... They remind me of Calvert and Atkinson. (Stafford has been my favorite over the years but slumping of late)
I personally believe that Jason Pominville is one of the more underrated forwards in the league. Consistently puts up good numbers without much help around him, and is quietly one of the better leaders in the league.

That being said, I cannot see paying the price that it would (likely) take to get him out of there. Not for this team, not at this point. Now, if I were the Bruins or the Senators, absolutely.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:48 AM
Derp Kassian

Hey guys question here and I didn't know what thread to ask it in. How did Antoine Vermette go from from a 50-60 pt guy for you guys in a few years to essentially a 3rd line center? Was it an injury or something?

Old
03-31-2013, 03:32 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Hey guys question here and I didn't know what thread to ask it in. How did Antoine Vermette go from from a 50-60 pt guy for you guys in a few years to essentially a 3rd line center? Was it an injury or something?
After that 50-60 point year, he thought he was a playmaker and started throwing blind pass after pass to the slot after doing multiple dekes. Oh and he played with Rick Nash.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:43 PM
Roadman
Moving On

CHI opening a can of butt whupping on Wings this aft.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:50 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
CHI opening a can of butt whupping on Wings this aft.
That's for sure - 5-0 with 10 to go in the second!

Just showed a tribute to Gordie Howe. Truly great player, but what relly stood out was how much the game has changed! Gordie and his contemporaries look like they're playing in their underwear compared to today's players. We always hear about he goalie equipment, and it certainly has grown huge, but so has the skaters' padding.

Old
03-31-2013, 12:57 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
That's for sure - 5-0 with 10 to go in the second!

Just showed a tribute to Gordie Howe. Truly great player, but what relly stood out was how much the game has changed! Gordie and his contemporaries look like they're playing in their underwear compared to today's players. We always hear about he goalie equipment, and it certainly has grown huge, but so has the skaters' padding.
And they wonder why there are so many more concussions ... bigger, faster players, combined with three times the equipment - mostly covered in hard plastic - and it's obvious.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:24 PM
davidbklyn

Quote:
And they wonder why there are so many more concussions ... bigger, faster players, combined with three times the equipment - mostly covered in hard plastic - and it's obvious.
Approaches to diagnosis have probably changed too

Old
03-31-2013, 01:27 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
Approaches to diagnosis have probably changed too
Both true.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:36 PM
jdhebner
HFBoards Sponsor

And the helmets don't work worth crap if the chin strap is loose and a mouthpiece is firmly in place

03-31-2013, 04:58 PM
EspenK

Crosby out for at least a month with broken jaw. Opens up the east a bit.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419545

Old
03-31-2013, 05:05 PM
davidbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Crosby out for at least a month with broken jaw. Opens up the east a bit.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419545
painful, hope for him it's only a broke jaw and not more concussion issues.

If it had to happen, why couldn't it have been AFTER the home and home against the Rangers

Old
03-31-2013, 09:00 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Big night on the NHL schedule tomorrow. April 1st and we actually have some vested interest in the outcomes beyond draft order. Here's who CBJ fans should be cheering for...

Best outcomes for the Jackets on April 1st:

Colorado beats Detroit
Minnesota beats St. Louis
Chicago beats Nashville
Anaheim beats Dallas
Calgary beats Edmonton
Vancouver beats San Jose

Of course, we don't want 3-point games anywhere.

And for good measure, Winnipeg beats NYR.

Closed Thread