HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coaches Poll on Major NHL Awards

Old
04-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Coaches Poll on Major NHL Awards

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=420953

Toews getting lots of love winning Hart and Selke in the West. Saad Calder in the West

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:39 AM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Toews, Kane, Saad, Keith, Crawford and Emery all mentioned. Wow.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:44 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Boudreau deserves the Adams. That is no slight to anything Q has done, but this team was expected to be pretty good. Maybe not President's worthy, but a team that was going to contend for the division and make the POs easily. No one expected the Ducks to be 2nd in the west. Nobody! He's done a remarkable job turning that team around.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Boudreau deserves the Adams. That is no slight to anything Q has done, but this team was expected to be pretty good. Maybe not President's worthy, but a team that was going to contend for the division and make the POs easily. No one expected the Ducks to be 2nd in the west. Nobody! He's done a remarkable job turning that team around.
Actually if you look at it Q has made just as impressive of a turnaround. Ducks are on pace for 115 points in an 82 game season, had 80 points last year, so a 35 point improvement. Chicago is on pace for 137 points this season, had 101 last, for a 36 point improvement. To me the latter is more impressive.

Chelios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:16 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
I don't like looking at it on a point compared to point basis. Q is taking a playoff team to the playoffs. Bruce is taking what was a non-playoff team to the playoffs. That is more impressive.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Chelios

Quote:
I don't like looking at it on a point compared to point basis. Q is taking a playoff team to the playoffs. Bruce is taking what was a non-playoff team to the playoffs. That is more impressive.
To each his own I guess. Ducks underachieved significantly last year. To take an underachieving team and turn them into a contender is impressive. To take a middle of the pack playoff team and turn them into the run away best team in the league is more impressive to me. Not to mention the fact that Anaheim seems to be dropping off in their last 10 games, while Hawks continue to dominate. That has to play a factor in a shortened season.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Chelios

Also pretty interesting timing for this to come out after the giant Toews/Kane debate on this board on Monday. Good to see the western conference coaches are seeing what I am.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:30 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Ducks were never a non-playoff team, just a group of underachievers because of poor coaching. Their roster has been better than many playoff teams in the west of recent past.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:37 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
Also pretty interesting timing for this to come out after the giant Toews/Kane debate on this board on Monday. Good to see the western conference coaches are seeing what I am.
Almost all of the coaches are Canadian. Of course they're going to vote for Toews.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:48 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

I'd vote for Toews too, he and Hossa are really the only two players on the team you can't keep off the scoresheet if you're the opposition. Kane is a lot easier to shut down.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:50 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Almost all of the coaches are Canadian. Of course they're going to vote for Toews.
Of course. That has to be the reason.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Hawkaholic

Ya, just confirms who our real MVP is, and it's not Kane.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:07 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
I'd vote for Toews too, he and Hossa are really the only two players on the team you can't keep off the scoresheet if you're the opposition. Kane is a lot easier to shut down.
yea whole lot easier to shut down the guy playing with sharp/bolland/hayes/kruger than the two guys playing with eachother and brandon saad.

also, toews, 0points in 14/42 games, kane 0pts in 11/42, hossa 0pts in 16/35.

how easy people forget that kane was dragging or offense behind him for like 15 games

Last edited by madgoat33: 04-17-2013 at 12:14 PM.
madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:11 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
yea whole lot easier to shut down the guy playing with sharp/bolland/hayes/kruger than the two guys playing with eachother and brandon saad. and beside that, i think kane had only been held off the scoresheet in 9 games this season.
Toews will put up similar numbers with Kruger/Frolik if that's what he's given. The Saad/Toews/Frolik line looked great for a few games. Why? It's really simple: Toews commits to the cycle. When Kane plays with **** forwards he just tries too hard to do things he can't do. Toews chips the puck, wins the board battles, creates the scoring opportunity, gets in front of the net and runs back to steal some pucks. Toews plays a game that could make anyone around him look good.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:22 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Toews will put up similar numbers with Kruger/Frolik if that's what he's given. The Saad/Toews/Frolik line looked great for a few games. Why? It's really simple: Toews commits to the cycle. When Kane plays with **** forwards he just tries too hard to do things he can't do. Toews chips the puck, wins the board battles, creates the scoring opportunity, gets in front of the net and runs back to steal some pucks. Toews plays a game that could make anyone around him look good.
1) you were wrong about who gets kept off the scoresheet
2) saad has outplayed anyone kane has played with consistently

Old
04-17-2013, 12:56 PM
hockeydoug

Still too early to pick. 6 games moves the standings around quite a bit and some stats will bounce around.

Nice to see so many Hawks on the list. Didn't expect to be arguing for or against Hawks in so many categories.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

we will have some finalists for sure. They can't go with East only

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Marina
Steve Holt!

I'd still pick Kane over Toews as Chicago's MVP but I'm not going to be upset Toews is getting consideration, he's been playing great too. I hope either Saad or Gallagher wins the Calder, assuming they both finish strong.

Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:28 PM
madgoat33

i don't really care who Chicago's mvp is, but the recent dismissive attitude towards kane is annoying.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

It is strange we are all Hawks fans yet so passionate on either Kane or Toews when they are both such different players.

This said, Toes does not make as many sill TOs as Kane while Toews done not make the sick dangling plays like Kane. I could do with less of the turnovers. Especially come playoff time.

Wasted Years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:21 PM
shalott

I assume it's a snowball effect - I like the games of both Kane and Toews, with a bias toward Toews (and I'm not even Canadian!), but it can be difficult to benignly cheer both on after seeing posts that find it necessary to bash Toews in order to showcase Kane's merits. I'm sure those with a Kane bias feel the same way (and probably more so, considering that Kane gets bashed a lot more than Toews.)

Honestly, I'd like Kane to win the Hart this year, just so people can stop *****ing about Toews stealing his thunder, and because if he doesn't win it after such a brilliant season, when will he ever?

Realistically speaking, though, I doubt either of them will get it. Hawks have so many great players that it's difficult to make a case for just one of them being more valuable to the team than, say, Bobrovsky. (Then again, apparently the Western Conference coaches think differently, so what do I know?)

shalott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:31 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Glad Saad got the nod in the West. People just don't realize how good he is, at least the coaches can recognize his all-round game.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:21 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I like that Keith gets some love too

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:36 AM
here come the

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfVerona View Post
I'd still pick Kane over Toews as Chicago's MVP but I'm not going to be upset Toews is getting consideration, he's been playing great too. I hope either Saad or Gallagher wins the Calder, assuming they both finish strong.
How do people watch games and think Kane is more valuable? Is penalty killing important? (yes) Are faceoffs important? (yes) Is take away to give away ratio important? (yes) Is actually playing defense and not getting outshot on the ice important? (yes) The only aspect of hockey Kane is better than Toews in is passing. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills just starting to read this board

here come the is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:38 AM
here come the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
Every intelligent hockey fan/person in the world sees what you see

here come the is online now   Reply With Quote