HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Bourque Rookie of the Year

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2005, 11:22 AM
  #1
Gardebut30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Bourque Rookie of the Year

anyone could have won this year's award, but happy to see it was a hawk.

http://www.theahl.com/AHL/News/2005/04/13/995009.html

Gardebut30 is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 03:20 PM
  #2
Tracy
Registered User
 
Tracy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hamburg, NY
Posts: 761
vCash: 500
Shoulda been Vanek. Leads all rookies with 37 goals. 61 points in 71 games. Leads the AHL with 21 power play goals. Not to mention he's two years younger than Bourque. What gives?

Tracy is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 03:24 PM
  #3
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrfan
Shoulda been Vanek. Leads all rookies with 37 goals. 61 points in 71 games. Leads the AHL with 21 power play goals. Not to mention he's two years younger than Bourque. What gives?
Parise!

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 03:34 PM
  #4
TVanek26*
 
TVanek26*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buffalo,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,583
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrfan
Shoulda been Vanek. Leads all rookies with 37 goals. 61 points in 71 games. Leads the AHL with 21 power play goals. Not to mention he's two years younger than Bourque. What gives?
Yeah,Vanek got totally screwed.He's 2nd in the league in goals,and has more more points in less games then Bourque.Royally screwed.

TVanek26* is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 03:36 PM
  #5
MLH
Registered User
 
MLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,292
vCash: 500
A first year player from the AHL's best team is the second leading goal scorer in the entire league and doesn't get rookie of the year? Makes no sense.

As for Parise, if they gave an award to safest prospect to be an undersized second line center, it would be him with little doubt.

MLH is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 03:49 PM
  #6
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Certainly an argument can be made for Lowell's Cam Ward.

2.04 GAA is 6th in the league
.936 save %age is tied for first (although is first for starters)
6 SOs is tied for 8th
25 wins is 12th

pelts35.com is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 03:57 PM
  #7
MrMastodonFarm*
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,093
vCash: 500
I think (the prospect affiliated with my favourite NHL team) should have won it.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 03:59 PM
  #8
Gardebut30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
I don't think this was a numbers game, obviously (look at Vanek's 21 ppg). Bourque is the MVP of his team and is one of the main reasons they are in the playoffs. Preseason projections had the Ads in 5th or 6th I think. Nobody's saying he will be better than Vanek, Bochenski, or Parise. He stepped in, carried his team (when he wasn't even projected to do such a thing) into the playoffs, and showed great ability for a rookie. Both stepped into a more competitive AHL than in years past. Could've gone either way. I just think Bourque got the award because he did way more than anyone ever dreamed of him doing. Not saying he should've gotten it over anyone, I just think that was the reason.

Gardebut30 is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 04:12 PM
  #9
DownFromNJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,536
vCash: 500
5 or 6 players could have won it. You could make an arguement for them all.

DownFromNJ is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 04:22 PM
  #10
ratsgirl
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in the minors
Posts: 2,375
vCash: 500
Good choice! Congrats to Bourque, he's definitely had a terrific season.

ratsgirl is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 04:36 PM
  #11
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsgirl
Good choice! Congrats to Bourque, he's definitely had a terrific season.
Quiet you, support Parise

Jaysfanatic* is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 04:40 PM
  #12
Vanek2112
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 95
vCash: 500
Definitely should have been Vanek! Vanek has played 4 fewer games and is tied for 2nd for goals in the AHL. Oh well, i guess.

Vanek2112 is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 05:02 PM
  #13
bruins4777*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
Vanek wasn't the leading MVP of his team like bourque was. Vanek wins the numbers game woohoo, but bourque has been more valuable and overall better.

bruins4777* is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 05:13 PM
  #14
sabrefan27
Registered User
 
sabrefan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins4777
Vanek wasn't the leading MVP of his team like bourque was. Vanek wins the numbers game woohoo, but bourque has been more valuable and overall better.
Except that's not neccessarily what ther award it is. It's the most outstanding rookie. Vanek was more outstanding than Bourque.

sabrefan27 is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 05:24 PM
  #15
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
lady in your avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27
Except that's not neccessarily what ther award it is. It's the most outstanding rookie. Vanek was more outstanding than Bourque.
what is her name? where is she from thanks for any info

outKast* is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 06:02 PM
  #16
Foppa
Registered User
 
Foppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Kansas City, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrfan
Shoulda been Vanek. Leads all rookies with 37 goals. 61 points in 71 games. Leads the AHL with 21 power play goals. Not to mention he's two years younger than Bourque. What gives?
I agree until that last part. What on this green earth does age have to do with winning this award?

Foppa is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 06:02 PM
  #17
Roy G Biv*
 
Roy G Biv*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,912
vCash: 500
Clearly Bochenski should have won it, as he has the most points.


The "played with Spezza" argument is cancelled out by the "21 PPG" argument (for Vanek)....

PPG are easier to score than even strengthers... especially when people are feeding u the puck to shoot it

I could score PPG goals at the AHL level

Bourque should have been runner up.

Roy G Biv* is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 06:04 PM
  #18
Gardebut30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27
Except that's not neccessarily what ther award it is. It's the most outstanding rookie. Vanek was more outstanding than Bourque.

First off, let me say, I would've picked Vanek ahead of Bourque, but...

The reason I believe they picked him, is he carried a team when he wasn't remotely expected to do near that. Think role player, at best second liner in the AHL his first season. That was his expectation. To do what he did is "outstanding", as in what you said the award is for "the most outstanding rookie".

Like someone said before, you could've made a case for about 5 guys to win this award.

Gardebut30 is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 06:11 PM
  #19
TVanek26*
 
TVanek26*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buffalo,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,583
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner

I could score PPG goals at the AHL level
.

No you couldn't.

TVanek26* is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 06:19 PM
  #20
Wally112pac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,826
vCash: 500
Good for Bourque, he deserves it. He's been the man for Norfolk all year.

Norfolk doesn't have a center at 30 points or 20 assists. Shows how impressive his season and 33 goals really was.

Wally112pac is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 06:46 PM
  #21
MLH
Registered User
 
MLH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
Clearly Bochenski should have won it, as he has the most points.


The "played with Spezza" argument is cancelled out by the "21 PPG" argument (for Vanek)....

PPG are easier to score than even strengthers... especially when people are feeding u the puck to shoot it

I could score PPG goals at the AHL level

Bourque should have been runner up.
If scoring PPG is so easy, why did Vanek do it better than the other 600 players in the AHL?

Your argument is silly and ridiculous.

MLH is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 06:50 PM
  #22
easton122
Registered User
 
easton122's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Say what you want but Bourque didn't have the support that Parise, Vanek, or Bochenski had on their respective teams. Bourque did the most with his given situation.

easton122 is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 06:52 PM
  #23
futurcorerock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 6,440
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
Clearly Bochenski should have won it, as he has the most points.


The "played with Spezza" argument is cancelled out by the "21 PPG" argument (for Vanek)....

PPG are easier to score than even strengthers... especially when people are feeding u the puck to shoot it

I could score PPG goals at the AHL level

Bourque should have been runner up.
Who do you play for? My team's looking for a go-to guy

futurcorerock is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 07:01 PM
  #24
Olorin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally112pac
Good for Bourque, he deserves it. He's been the man for Norfolk all year.

Norfolk doesn't have a center at 30 points or 20 assists. Shows how impressive his season and 33 goals really was.
Does Bourque play on the same line as Matt Ellison?

Also, slightly OT, what do Hawks fans think of Ellison and his pro potential?

Olorin is offline  
Old
04-13-2005, 07:09 PM
  #25
Gardebut30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan13
Does Bourque play on the same line as Matt Ellison?

Also, slightly OT, what do Hawks fans think of Ellison and his pro potential?
Bourque, Ellison, and Matt Keith are the Ads top line.

Ellison is a playmaker. I don't know if he has second line potential, probably more like third line. Not too sure, I only get to see him play when he travels to Hershey. Whether he can stick in the NHL is yet to be seen. But I'm rooting for him.

Gardebut30 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.