HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Rules Question

Old
03-21-2013, 11:27 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

vCash: 500
Beer League Rules Question

The beer league that I am in uses refs from various other venues and isn't quite as "picky" about rules as the AHA. However, I did something in the last game that a) had everyone, my team and my opponents, laughing and b) stumped the ref about the rules.

The ref that night has ref'd a lot of local high school games as well as the occasional WCHA game...

Here was the situation;

As a center, I was covering the other center in the defensive zone. He was driving towards the net, which meant that I was going there to bounce him out of in front of the crease. One of his wingers shot the puck, it hit the goalie square in the chest and dropped to the blue paint. The opposing center tried to whack it in, but I got my stick down on his in time. At which point, he and I both get a little off balance and dropped to our knees.

Puck is still sitting there in the blue paint, right in front of the goalie. I had no idea why he wasn't covering it at the time (his stick was stuck and couldn't move his blocker without dropping it) and his blocker was about six inches away from the puck.

I reached for the puck, getting whacked on the hand by the other center, but I stopped myself from even touching it since I didn't want a penalty.

Instead, I grabbed the goalies blocker, with his hand still inside, and pulled him and the blocker over the puck and pinned it to the ice, covering the puck.

1. I never touched the puck with my own glove.
2. Goalie's hand never left his blocker.
3. Ref finally whistled it dead as soon as I pulled the blocker over the puck and covered it.

The first reaction (this is a really good natured and fun group) was laughter. They all thought there would be a delay of game penalty on me for what I did. However, the ref blew it dead, not for a penalty, but because it was covered and "saved".

No one was angry, but we asked for a rules explanation...

The ref explained that since I didn't technically cover the puck with my own hand and I "just assisted the goalie" in covering it, there was no penalty. He also threw it out there that he had never seen, in his years of being a referee, a skater do that.

Thoughts?

Should it have been a penalty?
Or was it a good play?

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Slats432

As a ref, if you have never seen something before, common sense comes into play.

I would have called it the same way. No infraction, no illegal use of equipment....etc.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Ozz

Ha! I've never seen that either but I'd be on the "not a penalty" side of the argument if I were involved. I could also see the call going the other way on a technicality, but I'd still disagree with it because you didn't touch the puck.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:04 AM
shoeshine boy

no penalty. you didn't cover the puck your goalie did. now if the goalie had taken YOUR hand and covered the puck THAT would've been a penalty.
kudos for your quick thinking!

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Danglous

LOL, in my eyes you were just helping out the goalie who should have been quicker on the puck so no penalty

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Dustin Peener

seems fine to me

Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 11:13 AM
CoopALoop

No different than knocking the goalie onto the puck.

Sometime's we guy's in the pipes need a little help.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote