HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

vCash: 500
Just because Smid is our best defensemen doesn't mean we should pay him like a #1 Dman. I don't even consider him a top pairing dman myself, maybe just barely.

The guy is worth about $3.5 and that's it. $4m is being real nice, anything over that means we're getting completely ripped off. If Smid is as much of a heart and soul type guy as we think, he's not asking for more than $3.5m.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Bergeron47

I get the feeling he gets around $15M/4 years

Old
03-24-2013, 03:03 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Edmonton Oilers: The dilemma facing Oilers GM Steve Tambellini isn't much of a dilemma at all. Instead of playing out the string and hoping to win the draft lottery again, the Oilers are in the playoff chase. Tambellini told NHL.com he would add, even a rental player, to bolster his roster. Perhaps he looks to add a top-four defenseman, but those players will come at a price the Oilers may not be willing to pay (draft picks, prospects). If he can add without subtracting from the goal of building a consistent winner, he will. If not, Edmonton could stand pat.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=661292&cmpid=nhl-twt

Ugggggggggggggggggggggggggh.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:10 AM
Paralyzer008

Has anyone brought this up?

Quote:
GM Steve Tambellini has a decision to make: Does he buy or sell? The Oilers have a shot at the playoffs, but can they stay there? None of the young players are available so no need for teams to ask. D Ryan Whitney is available and so is C Sam Gagner, who could fetch help.
per Bruce Garrioch. If you believe in what he says, then be intrigued. If you don't, like me, then you can also question Sam Gagner's availability at the deadline.

Old
03-24-2013, 03:19 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

It would be a lot easier to accept the possibility of Sam Gagner being traded for a bigger, more physical player if Eberle, RNH and yes, even Hall were performing up to snuff this season. As is... trading him is a tenuous prospect at best.

Old
03-24-2013, 04:11 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It would be a lot easier to accept the possibility of Sam Gagner being traded for a bigger, more physical player if Eberle, RNH and yes, even Hall were performing up to snuff this season. As is... trading him is a tenuous prospect at best.
If we're moving Gagner then we may as well move Hemsky too IMO. Hall, Eberle, RNH, and Nail will be our 4 smaller skilled guys and then if Paajarvi keeps improving he can be another part of the top 6 leaving 1 more spot to fill with size.

03-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Edmonton’s Ryan Whitney and Ladislav Smid.
Smid is available according to Mike Russo. He's got credibility.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I fully expect us to trade Jones, Whitney, Smid, and try move Belanger.

People will scream about picks, but then what will happen is Tambellini will go into the draft with a ~# 5 pick (we're done son), and a late 1st, a couple 2nds, and a couple thirds.

They will make moves at the draft. Trade those picks and prospects for players now.

Just because we end up with picks and prospects doesn't mean we can't flip them as currency for players next year.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:33 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

Smid will be gone for a 1st. Pretty sure Oilers are very interested in Curtis Lazar. Nothing wrong coming out with Sean Monahan and Curtis Lazar.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:36 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Smid will be gone for a 1st. Pretty sure Oilers are very interested in Curtis Lazar. Nothing wrong coming out with Sean Monahan and Curtis Lazar.
Then the Oilers should draft him with their first. Not deal Smid for picks.

This board must be allergic to veteran hockey players, but after Tambellini's success in the free agent market, I can see why...

Old
03-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Maybe if we're lucky this team will both trade the soon to be UFAs for draft picks, then move the young talent for more mature guys that will "help now" That way we can go take no step forward and ten steps back all in one fell swoop.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Sethis

vCash: 725
If we trade Smid, I am going to start burning things. It is the absolute opposite of what the team needs to do and he WANTS to play here.

Old
03-24-2013, 09:55 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
this comes from the previously reported rumour that the Oilers will slide klefbom into a top 4 role next year, pushing Smid into a bottom pairing role.
My problem with this is Klefbom and Smid are two different type of D-men and I think there is room for both on the roster.

The Smid rumours also have to do with the nasty drop in the cap.

Oilers have 14 nhl contract for 43million with about about 21mill left. gagner could get around 5mill a year, taking it down to 16mill for 8 mill or two mill per spot--this includes a back up goalie.

MPS looks like he is showing signs of developing into a two way deal--let give him 2mill a year.

lets take a look at the roster for next year with current contract and some guessing

lw c rw d g
hall 6 Nuge 3.775 Eberle 6 Schultz 3.775 DD 3.5
Smyth 2.25 Gagner 5 Yakupov 3.775 Schultz 3.5 UFA 1.5
MPS 2 Horcoff 5.5 Hemsky 5 Petry 1.75 5
Hartikeinen 1.25 Belanger 1.75 Brown 0.875 Potter 0.775
Pettreel 0.825 Lander 0.9 Eager 1.1 Klefbom 1.275
12.325 16.925 16.75 11.075 62.075

that leaves just 2.5 million for a number 6 and 7 d-men

that being said--I know for a fact even after realizing how important Horcoff haters realize horcoff is--they will say buy him out--replace him with who?

I think Jones is gone, oilers should be trying to move Belanger and Eager and as hard as it maybe to deal with it. We will have too much money tied up with Yakupov, Eberle and Hemsky-- almost 15mill. That being said, Hemsky when in the line up has been the most consistent winger. But by moving Hemsky, you now create room for Yakupov to develop and MPS can play both wings and so can Hartikenen

Old
03-24-2013, 10:13 AM
armandh01

Magnus doesn't get a raise yet imo. I sign him for the same as he's at now but for a longer term.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:34 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Magnus doesn't get a raise yet imo. I sign him for the same as he's at now but for a longer term.
I agree there is no way he has done enough to deserve a raise like that.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

@SunGarrioch

Told the asking price for San Jose D Dan Boyle: A player who can help now and a meaningful draft pick @tpanotchCSN Carolina looking as well.

Edit: Source aside, is Schultz and a 2nd meaningful enough? I think they'd want more than Schultz though.

Last edited by Powder: 03-24-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 11:00 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
@SunGarrioch

Told the asking price for San Jose D Dan Boyle: A player who can help now and a meaningful draft pick @tpanotchCSN Carolina looking as well.

Edit: Source aside, is Schultz and a 2nd meaningful enough? I think they'd want more than Schultz though.
Sj is one of those teams that will be in cap hell shortly when the cap drops and Dan Boyles 6m+ sal might be too much for them. Also, he is one year away from being a UFA and the oilers are not in a win now mode and will need to continue developing the kids.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:02 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

[rant]
I couldn't want Belanger off this team more. I hate every single thing he does apart from win draws. Anyone that plays with him is going to take a stats hit because he can't pass, shoot, get into dangerous positions or even make good decisions. And as soon as we get an injury to a C he's in the top 9 negating the scoring of some of our talented players.

We could have picked up Steckel for a 7th if we were looking for a C that can win draws. But Tambo doesn't like to make moves that aren't on July 1st. This team is beyond incompetent.
[/rant]

Quote:
@SunGarrioch

If we had a good GM I would hope we could do something around Jones + Schultz +picks/prospects for Boyle + Clowe. But we don't. So we'll likely trade Smid for picks and then move Hemsky over the summer for the most overrated player in the world, JJ.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
[rant]
I couldn't want Belanger off this team more. I hate every single thing he does apart from win draws. Anyone that plays with him is going to take a stats hit because he can't pass, shoot, get into dangerous positions or even make good decisions. And as soon as we get an injury to a C he's in the top 9 negating the scoring of some of our talented players.

We could have picked up Steckel for a 7th if we were looking for a C that can win draws. But Tambo doesn't like to make moves that aren't on July 1st. This team is beyond incompetent.
[/rant]

If we had a good GM I would hope we could do something around Jones + Schultz +picks/prospects for Boyle + Clowe. But we don't. So we'll likely trade Smid for picks and then move Hemsky over the summer for the most overrated player in the world, JJ.
That whole rumour scares me, I really hope that's not their plan.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:21 AM
armandh01

Small contract oriented moves I'd like to see Oilers do:

Buyout Smyth and Belanger

Sign Jones for 1.5 million for a 1 year deal or less for 2 years (1.25 mill)

Sign Smid to 4 years at 3.0-3.9 million

Peckham gets a decrease for showing up this season as an out of shape buffoon, 825k per

Fistric doesn't get a raise, sign for the same amount for 3 years

Sign Petrell for 975k for 3 years

Old
03-24-2013, 11:38 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
That whole rumour scares me, I really hope that's not their plan.
The fact that it scares me is what leads me to believe that that is the plan.

Old
03-24-2013, 11:38 AM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I fully expect us to trade Jones, Whitney, Smid, and try move Belanger.

People will scream about picks, but then what will happen is Tambellini will go into the draft with a ~# 5 pick (we're done son), and a late 1st, a couple 2nds, and a couple thirds.

They will make moves at the draft. Trade those picks and prospects for players now.

Just because we end up with picks and prospects doesn't mean we can't flip them as currency for players next year.
Here's what will happen if we trade jones, whitney and smid for picks...

Tambo will go to draft with a million picks and make zero trades like he has for the past 3 years...

then over the summer he will sign tom poti (to replace whitney obviously lolz) an aging tough guy fighter who can't play and give ryan smyth an extension...

oh and our backup goalie will probably be either yann denis or curtis jospeh since we have a fondness for goalies who should be retired and useless ahler's

Old
03-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Small contract oriented moves I'd like to see Oilers do:

Buyout Smyth and Belanger

Sign Jones for 1.5 million for a 1 year deal or less for 2 years (1.25 mill)

Sign Smid to 4 years at 3.0-3.9 million

Peckham gets a decrease for showing up this season as an out of shape buffoon, 825k per

Fistric doesn't get a raise, sign for the same amount for 3 years

Sign Petrell for 975k for 3 years
So, basically, keep the same team that has us near the bottom of the league again except for Smyth and Belanger? Sure, those two are the reason the Oilers are losing... Yeah, that's a great plan..

Old
03-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Seachd

Joe Haggerty (Bruins writer) says the Oilers have been scouting the Bruins quite a bit the last few games and speculates about Whitney.

Which would imply they're looking at something on the Bruins' roster, so maybe not Whitney.

Old
03-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
This will end badly for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post

When was the last time a top-4 D-man was traded in the draft for picks? How often does that happen?