HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 02:30 PM
tv14

vCash: 50
To Ottawa:
Ryan Whitney
+?

To Edmonton:
Mark Stone
+?

Would a deal like this be plausible? Admittedly I'm not too sure how highly Stone is viewed in Ottawa (which is why I added possible additions to the deal), but he is ranked outside of the Senator's top 5 on hockeys future. Sens get a dman, that could definitely help them with all their injuries and their playoff push. Oilers get a big player that could potentially be developed into a winger to ride shotgun with RNH/Eberle in the future. Thoughts?

Last edited by tv14: 03-25-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old
03-25-2013, 02:32 PM
ponokanocker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
Whitney WAS a better d-man. Right now he's basically an oft-injured borderline NHL player who's had trouble holding a roster spot on one of the worst clubs in the league. I would not be surprised if a desperate team looking for depth and puck-moving ability coughs up a 2nd round pick for him, but I would not be surprised, if teams look at other options.
I actually thought he was doing better for quite some time, but him being a healthy scratch for the next game is a major issue for his value.

I agree that what Pittsburgh has paid seems like a pretty big overpayment. Morrow looks so done, and Murray is not that special. Strange that the #8 & 9 teams in the west are selling players off. I can't recal another year where teams in those positions were sellers.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Whitney WAS a better d-man. Right now he's basically an oft-injured borderline NHL player who's had trouble holding a roster spot on one of the worst clubs in the league. I would not be surprised if a desperate team looking for depth and puck-moving ability coughs up a 2nd round pick for him, but I would not be surprised, if teams look at other options.
Thing is though, players tend to re-find their game when they leave one of the "worst clubs in the league" for some reason.

I'm guessing that other teams may take the fact that he's on one of the "worst clubs in the league" into account.

Edit: plus I think you have to take into account that IF Whitney does find his game again, his impact would be much greater than that of a D. Murray.

Last edited by Powder: 03-25-2013 at 02:37 PM. Reason: typo
Old
03-25-2013, 02:35 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I actually thought he was doing better for quite some time, but him being a healthy scratch for the next game is a major issue for his value.

I agree that what Pittsburgh has paid seems like a pretty big overpayment. Morrow looks so done, and Murray is not that special. Strange that the #8 & 9 teams in the west are selling players off. I can't recal another year where teams in those positions were sellers.
They are not done. I expect San Jose and Dallas will make acquisitions of their own at the deadline.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I think that Dallas is going to sell, sell, sell.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:37 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
You're forgetting how much Murray has fallen off this year. Whitney is starting to play better, and still has attractive parts to his game. Plus, Murray makes Whitney look like the flash

Old
03-25-2013, 02:38 PM
Distinct

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
To Ottawa:
Ryan Whitney
+?

To Edmonton:
Mark Stone
+?

Would a deal like this be plausible? Admittedly I'm not too sure how highly Stone is viewed in Ottawa (which is why I added possible additions to the deal), but he is ranked outside of the Senator's top 5 on hockeys future. Sens get a dman, that could definitely help them with all their injuries and their playoff push. Oilers get a big player that could potentially be developed into a winger to ride shotgun with RNH/Eberle in the future. Thoughts?
I would be thrilled with this deal

Old
03-25-2013, 02:39 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Murray just got 2 2nds and Whitney is a better dman than Murray
Whitney >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Murray... Some time ago...

Now, I haven't seen more than very brief flashes of the old Whitney this year.

Murray is what he is, a decent 2nd/3rd pair guy able to hit and stand up for his team mates. If Whitney is to give us more than Murray it would be on reputation and a head coach that thinks he can revive him...

edit: I may have been exaggerating a bit, I actually think Whitney can give a better return than Murray. But still the decline of Murray is nothing compared with the decline of Whitney imo although Whitney's fall began from a much higher position.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:40 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Caron for Whitney

Old
03-25-2013, 02:45 PM
doubledown99

CAR was after Murray........rumors in the past have indicated an interest in Whitney.

Whitney + Fistric
for
CAR 1st 2013

Old
03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it

For those who missed it, Hartikainen was sent down today.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:48 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

If Dallas is selling I make a huge pitch for Louis Eriksson. Unbelievable player that would make this team odes better.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
CAR was after Murray........rumors in the past have indicated an interest in Whitney.

Whitney + Fistric
for
CAR 1st 2013
This team needs MORE players like Fistric, not to be getting rid of them for picks.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
If Dallas is selling I make a huge pitch for Louis Eriksson. Unbelievable player that would make this team odes better.
I can't even imagine how much it would take to get him. Probably not worth it.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:51 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

LOL at poster attempting to belittle John Carson.

Guy was carrying Orlov last season on top pairing. Now he's playing top pairing minutes on a horri-bad team and is a + player.

He's from the same draft and much, much better at this point.

How is the fact that Schultz is 22 not phase people? They make comparisons to 18/19 year olds and expect the same growth and development.

Compare him to a 22/23 year old Petry and Gilbert. He's not that much better an even strength player as these guys at the same age.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:52 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Whitney >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Murray... Some time ago...

Now, I haven't seen more than very brief flashes of the old Whitney this year.

Murray is what he is, a decent 2nd/3rd pair guy able to hit and stand up for his team mates. If Whitney is to give us more than Murray it would be on reputation and a head coach that thinks he can revive him...

edit: I may have been exaggerating a bit, I actually think Whitney can give a better return than Murray. But still the decline of Murray is nothing compared with the decline of Whitney imo although Whitney's fall began from a much higher position.
You're right. Whitney fell off much more. But, I see it as Whitney fell from a #1 to a #5 who can still move the puck and is a good guy to take a chance on. Murray fell from a #4 to a #6 who can't skate, but can lay some big hits.

Old
03-25-2013, 02:55 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Looks likes Pittsburgh has a load of D now with Murray. Wonder if a Belanger for Engelland trade would be possible?

Old
03-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

Never seen DeKeyser play but from looking at his stats and hearing some things about him, is a Ryan McDonagh comparison out of the question? Put up similar numbers to McD in college. Has all the tools to be a solid shutdown guy. All things I've read say he's tough to beat 1 on 1, he's got a huge reach, is a great skater and has a great head for the game. I see people comparing him to Chris Tanev on the main board but I don't think Tanev has the tools this kid has.

If he doesn't pan out as a McD type, he's still most likely going to end up as a solid bottom pairing defenseman. It's an asset for free.. definitely worth a shot. If we don't get him I'm not going to dwell on it though, as I would've with Schultz.

As for our current players.. the more I see these trades the more I smile at the possible return for Whitney, Jones, Smid etc.. If Douglas Murray can get two 2nd's, Whitney might land us a 1st. Hey, Morrow got Dallas a first.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
Looks likes Pittsburgh has a load of D now with Murray. Wonder if a Belanger for Engelland trade would be possible?
Canucks desperately need some centre depth for the playoffs, how about Belanger for a pick and just be rid of him?

Old
03-25-2013, 03:03 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Never seen DeKeyser play but from looking at his stats and hearing some things about him, is a Ryan McDonagh comparison out of the question? Put up similar numbers to McD in college. Has all the tools to be a solid shutdown guy. All things I've read say he's tough to beat 1 on 1, he's got a huge reach, is a great skater and has a great head for the game. I see people comparing him to Chris Tanev on the main board but I don't think Tanev has the tools this kid has.

If he doesn't pan out as a McD type, he's still most likely going to end up as a solid bottom pairing defenseman. It's an asset for free.. definitely worth a shot. If we don't get him I'm not going to dwell on it though, as I would've with Schultz.

As for our current players.. the more I see these trades the more I smile at the possible return for Whitney, Jones, Smid etc.. If Douglas Murray can get two 2nd's, Whitney might land us a 1st. Hey, Morrow got Dallas a first.
It is never a bad thing to accumulate young NHL-calibre defensemen.

But saying he's not as good as Tanev is a stretch. Tanev would be a top-4 defenseman on this team.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:05 PM
dnicks17

If I'm a play-off team's GM, I'd take a big defensive defenseman who blocks shots and has a bunch of play-off experience over an injury prone inconsistent puck mover.

I don't think Whitney even comes close to the return Murray got.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
It is never a bad thing to accumulate young NHL-calibre defensemen.

But saying he's not as good as Tanev is a stretch. Tanev would be a top-4 defenseman on this team.
Debateable.. Smid, J. Schultz and Petry are clearly ahead of Tanev. Is he much of an upgrade on N. Schultz, Whitney or Fistric? I don't think so..

Old
03-25-2013, 03:08 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
If I'm a play-off team's GM, I'd take a big defensive defenseman who blocks shots and has a bunch of play-off experience over an injury prone inconsistent puck mover.

Few tweets out there mentioning how the Rangers were successful in part to this last year.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:10 PM
tv14

vCash: 50
Quote:

I think it varies for every team. Pittsburgh has plenty of puck movers (Letang, Niskanen, Martin, etc) so they would want a physical defensive dman over Whitney. However a team like Ottawa (who I think should be our main target for Whitney) would value a puck mover more than a defensive dman. They currently only have Gonchar who is a legit puck mover, Weircioch is doing good I think, but is still a rookie. Aside from those two they have no one. And to further this they have Phillips and Lundin currently on their 2nd PP unit. So Whitney could definitely be help to them, and due to the fact there are few sellers, I am thinking he could easily get a similar return to Murray.

Old
03-25-2013, 03:11 PM
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

Quote:

Whitney's season has been considered bad, but pro rated he's on pace for a 36 point season. Teams like Detroit, who are in need of a puck moving guy should be making calls to Tambo. Whitney has completely turned his game around since February, and I'm sure scouts have seen this.

Closed Thread