HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor and Proposal Thread Vol. 8: The North Remembers

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 04:49 PM
tv14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I think there are few PMD buyers too though.

Most play-off teams don't have a pure PMD on their 3rd pairing. They have their PMD in the top4 and Whitney definitely isn't a top4 D on a play-off team.
That could be true. However whats the price for a top 4 PMD and what teams are looking to trade them right now? It will be a lot more than price for Whitney and this will force teams to fit in a PMD where ever they can. I look at teams like NYR/BOS who have pretty well set top-4's yet still lack a PMD, so he could be a fit there. Then I look at teams like OTT, DET, CAR who have depleted, young defence cores and could use a PMD anyway they can get one. Just my opinion, but I do think there is enough teams that would be interested in him, that we could get a pretty good return.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:51 PM
dnicks17

Murray is more than likely only going to return a 2nd and 3rd.

Not a chance the Pens re-sign him with the amount of D they have and the Pens aren't a lock for the Conference Finals.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Some more food for thought:

"Edmonton’s not exactly in a playoff chase, but has been linked to Clowe. The Oilers have been on the hunt for a big, physical winger for what feels like forever and will have some money coming off the books in Ryan Whitney ($4 million), Nikolai Khabibulin ($3.75), Andy Sutton ($1.75) this summer, and could consider using a buyout on captain Shawn Horcoff ($5.5 million).

Clowe could be a guy they target not as a rental, but someone to sign to term."

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...t-ryane-clowe/

Old
joestevens29

vCash: 50
I'll cry if we trade Peckham and he breaks out like Mcquaid did when Boston won the cup.

Old
belair

I'm probably one of the posters more adament on getting Smid re-signed, but with the rumoured availabilty of Tyler Myers, would we still be disappointed if Smid was used in a deal to bring Myers to Edmonton?

Perhaps something like Smid, Hemsky, Musil/Marincin/Gernat and two 2nds for Myers and Stafford?

It's definitely the type of deal that some of the posters on here are looking for.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:53 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Murray is only going to return one 2nd.

Not a chance the Pens re-sign him with the amount of D they have.
I'll have to find it, but there is something about making it to round 2 or 3 that kicks in.

That and I think at the least it becomes a third.

Edit: Here's the mod edit on main board.
The 2014 2nd round pick is conditional on either Murray re-signing or the Pens reaching the Conference Finals. If neither happen, it's a 2014 3rd...per LeBrun.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:55 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'll have to find it, but there is something about making it to round 2 or 3 that kicks in.

That and I think at the least it becomes a third.
Yeah, I edited it into my last post.

I thought it was just a flat out 2nd or nothing if he doesn't re-sign.

The 2014 2nd turns into a 3rd if the Pens don't re-sign him or don't reach the Conference Finals.

Old
03-25-2013, 04:56 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Some more food for thought:

"Edmonton’s not exactly in a playoff chase, but has been linked to Clowe. The Oilers have been on the hunt for a big, physical winger for what feels like forever and will have some money coming off the books in Ryan Whitney ($4 million), Nikolai Khabibulin ($3.75), Andy Sutton ($1.75) this summer, and could consider using a buyout on captain Shawn Horcoff ($5.5 million).

Clowe could be a guy they target not as a rental, but someone to sign to term."

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...t-ryane-clowe/
I think everyone here is hoping we get Clowe

Old
03-25-2013, 05:01 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
signing clowe would be a huge mistake imo, he still has zero goals. zero, for a "scoring power forward that scares me pretty bad, he has been made out to be some demigod by posters here but i just dont see it, i would take him for a 3rd maybe a 2nd but im not trading anyone or thing significant for him.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
I'm hoping so, but I'm not trading any assets for him if he's just going to leave in the offseason.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
signing clowe would be a huge mistake imo, he still has zero goals. zero, for a "scoring power forward that scares me pretty bad, he has been made out to be some demigod by posters here but i just dont see it, i would take him for a 3rd maybe a 2nd but im not trading anyone or thing significant for him.
I think he's worth picking up and signing if you can get him at a decent price.

Even if he doesn't regain his scoring touch he would still be a functional winger with size that should make them harder to play against (which isn't saying much, I know)

Old
03-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Pablo Aimar
MBA

Ryan Clowe sucks. The fact that he is big seems to be obscuring that in the eyes of many.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:06 PM
belair

The Oilers will not buy out Horcoff.

And Clowe is only of interest if the price is dirt cheap. He's got fewer goals than Martin Brodeur this season and he hasn't exactly been a saviour in San Jose.

I might be on the wrong end of this, but our obsession with obtaining a "big" forward is tireless.

Why don't we just bring back JF Jacques?

Old
03-25-2013, 05:07 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I'm hoping so, but I'm not trading any assets for him if he's just going to leave in the offseason.
Oh I agree. I'd want to be able to negotiate with him before giving up anything significant. He's not going to be a star or anything, but he'd be a solid middle 6 role guy

Old
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post

And Clowe is only of interest if the price is dirt cheap. He's got fewer goals than Martin Brodeur this season and he hasn't exactly been a saviour in San Jose.

I might be on the wrong end of this, but our obsession with obtaining a "big" forward is tireless.

Why don't we just bring back JF Jacques
?
Pretty much. The guy has slowly declined. At 30 years old I'd watch exactly how much you invest in the guy.

Old
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

ryane clowe, tied for 87th in hits.

but he hits and scores?

Old
03-25-2013, 05:08 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:

all the people begging for clowe and trading hemskys or first for him are crazy, they are also the same people who hated dustin penner even though he plays almost the same game.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:09 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Oh I agree. I'd want to be able to negotiate with him before giving up anything significant. He's not going to be a star or anything, but he'd be a solid middle 6 role guy
I doubt SJ allows you to negotiate before hand. You either take him or they deal him elsewhere. Even though he is struggling there are lots of teams that will take a chance on him.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Beerfish

The oilers will trade Whitney for a mid level D man much like the Gilbert trade and they will trade for scoring help for Oklahoma City. I think that is all that will happen.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:11 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
We're not making the play-offs.

Why wouldn't we just wait until July 1st?

Old
03-25-2013, 05:13 PM
sensfan44
peacetowersens

What would it take to get MPS out of Edmonton?
Also Bishop for Smid?

Old
03-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
The oilers will trade Whitney for a mid level D man much like the Gilbert trade and they will trade for scoring help for Oklahoma City. I think that is all that will happen.
Whitney is a UFA though.

I think Whitney will be dealt for a pick
Belanger for a pick.

That's all folks. If Tambellini surprises us, we'll see a Smid extension, and possibly a Nick Schultz trade. Oscar Klefbom himself compares his game to Nick Schultz, if the Oiler scouts see it the same then Schultz won't be around for much longer because Klefbom can just take his spot.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:

And Clowe is only of interest if the price is dirt cheap. Eager, Jones, Brown, Harti, N. Schultz, Belanger, Smid & Fistric all have the same as or fewer goals than Martin Brodeur this season and he hasn't exactly been a saviour in San Jose.

Fixed it for you

Old
03-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
They were talking about it on TSN a couple of weeks ago, supposedly he's been struggling all year with a bad shoulder which has impacted his performance. Teams were interested in looking at him as a rental, but the seriousness of the injury is scaring off anyone looking for a rental for this year.

He's been consistent up to this point, plays the way the Oilers need in a second line role, and isn't quite in the area of "dramatic drop-off" territory of 32 - 34 years of age. Not a frontline player, but a step in the right direction for the Oilers that has zero physical presence in the top 9.

Old
03-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Qrispy

Clowe is terrible. I have no idea why people get such hard-ons for him. He's big and he can fight. So what? If he can't score in SJ how is he gonna score here? He's just another plug at this point in his career. Not suitable for our top 6.

Closed Thread