HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Dion Phaneuf

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Phaneuf*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Lumsden
I would like to pass along what I heard Peter Maher say on the fan 960 yesterday. He said there were contract problems, Phaneuf was physically tired, and the Flames didn't want to disturb the chemistry in Lowell. Sounds a whole lot like the Flames being cheap again, remember last year when Warrener was injured and we called up some bum named Brennan Evans?? We should have signed Phaneuf, who knows it might have cost us the Cup, especially after Regehr was hurt in the Tampa Bay series.
Cost us the cup? Evans played 5 minutes and like one game in round two. Regher played in the final and Monty did fine as a replacment actaully great.

Old
04-15-2005, 10:19 AM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
I would like to pass along what I heard Peter Maher say on the fan 960 yesterday. He said there were contract problems, Phaneuf was physically tired, and the Flames didn't want to disturb the chemistry in Lowell. Sounds a whole lot like the Flames being cheap again, remember last year when Warrener was injured and we called up some bum named Brennan Evans?? We should have signed Phaneuf, who knows it might have cost us the Cup, especially after Regehr was hurt in the Tampa Bay series.
The Flames reason for not signing Phaneuf last year were NOT because they were cheap. Once again, you are wrong.

Old
04-16-2005, 07:24 AM
Jessie Lumsden

Yes it was Patrick. And it DID cost us the Cup.

When Warrener went down with an eye injury, the Rebels were eliminated from the WHL playoffs. We should have signed Phaneuf then. That way, we wouldn't have to have played with really only five defenceman - as Brennan hardly played at all. That way, when Regehr went down in the series against Tampa: Phaneuf would have stepped right in.

You can't tell me we were better off with Commodore on the ice instead of an untested 19 year old. Commodore is an embarassment to the league if you ask me, no way a guy who skates like him should be playing in the NHL.

Old
04-16-2005, 11:12 PM
King_Brown

Yes lets sign Dion Phanuef for no reason at all during the middle of the playoffs. That did not cost us the Cup. Bad officiating cost us the Stanley Cup, and a beautiful screw job by the NHL(Bettman/Cambell). He would of played the same amount of time as Breanen Evans and then been demoted to the press box one Rhett came back.

Old
04-16-2005, 11:20 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:

When Warrener went down with an eye injury, the Rebels were eliminated from the WHL playoffs. We should have signed Phaneuf then. That way, we wouldn't have to have played with really only five defenceman - as Brennan hardly played at all. That way, when Regehr went down in the series against Tampa: Phaneuf would have stepped right in.

You can't tell me we were better off with Commodore on the ice instead of an untested 19 year old. Commodore is an embarassment to the league if you ask me, no way a guy who skates like him should be playing in the NHL.
Wow, you really need to check your post and the "fantasy" notion that Phaneuf would have won the cup for the Flames. The kid was 18 years old, no NHL experience and you think having him start in the playoffs, when hockey is at the highlest level would have made a difference that Phaneuf was playing. I think you (Yes, I am a Flames fan) need to take off your homer glasses. Yes, Phaneuf should be good but to state with him we would have won, makes me shake my head at you.

Old
04-16-2005, 11:26 PM
bruins4777*

Commodore is doing a DAMN fine job at the AHL level and is a big reason for ward's success in net and a big part of lowell in general.

Old
04-17-2005, 12:21 AM
Phanuthier*

Quote:

Good god man.

Brennan Evans had pro-hockey experiance - Dion Phaneuf didn't. In fact, I don't think signing Phaneuf would have even costed the Flames anything anyways.

And yes, I think Commodore with 5 years pro-experiance and NHL experiance is better then throwing a junior player into a NHL playoff game.

Commodore is an embarssment to the league? Oh please. Commodore has enough skills to be regular top 6 NHL defenseman, and even top 4 if he improved his decision making. He actually played quite well against Detriot (better then Montador IMO) but SJ's burned him.

Old
04-17-2005, 12:24 AM
Flamesfaithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Wow, you really need to check your post and the "fantasy" notion that Phaneuf would have won the cup for the Flames. The kid was 18 years old, no NHL experience and you think having him start in the playoffs, when hockey is at the highlest level would have made a difference that Phaneuf was playing. I think you (Yes, I am a Flames fan) need to take off your homer glasses. Yes, Phaneuf should be good but to state with him we would have won, makes me shake my head at you.
Bang on!

Phaneuf might just be my favorite player- and I'm sure he will be an elite dman in the NHL one day, and that his learning curve in adjusting to the NHL will be a steep one... but not instantaneous. A young kid coming from the WHL with no experience in Darryl's tight and regimented defensive systems is told to learn and perfect them in two days, and is then thrown into the fire- playing the highest caliber of hockey- and according to Lumsden is not only expected to get by, but completely reverse the fate of the team? I'll have to second Patrick and Phanutier on this one.

Last edited by Flamesfaithful: 04-17-2005 at 12:31 AM.
Old
04-17-2005, 03:46 PM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Ok, so rather than risk injury with their top prospect, the organization does the right thing and tell him to enjoy his time off because he's earned it? I don't understand why people say Calgary's being cheap. It's clear that their top prospect looked tired at the end of Red Deer's playoff run. Let him have a little rest. He's probably played more hockey than most players have in two years. Let him enjoy the time off. Let him become physically recharged again

Old
04-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Jessie Lumsden

c'mon Patrick, lets hear what your stats tell you. I can't wait to hear you.

Old
04-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:

Disagree

Old
04-18-2005, 03:04 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
c'mon Patrick, lets hear what your stats tell you. I can't wait to hear you.
Well I don't have to use stats. Look at all the posters disagreeing with you about your view. That alone puts down your arguement, considering you are standing alone.

Closed Thread