HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

#Freekomi: veteran presence for the playoff race?

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 07:07 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

vCash: 500
#Freekomi: veteran presence for the playoff race?

With the Leafs now in the middle of a playoff race, could Komisarek be an impact full veteran presence? One could argue he would add a strong defensive presence, add stability and leadership to a young team at a very important time. Would Carlyle's approach suit his style more? Nobody could legitimately argue that Komisarek fit Wilson's game plan, but Carlyle seems to have a more established defensive game with defined roles, shut down defensemen included.

So what do you think, could Komi still fill an important role on this team?

Last edited by The Apologist: 03-20-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 07:08 AM
SprDaVE

He's the master tactician and veteran from the press box. Best in the league probably.

He can eat a bunch of pop corn like a boss.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:14 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Yes, he'll definitely provide his presence in the pressbox.

I don't think he was bad in the games he played this year...but it was only a few games.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:24 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

He looked good at the tail end of last season as well. Could he be any worse than Gunnar defensively?

Old
03-20-2013, 07:26 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apologist View Post
He looked good at the tail end of last season as well. Could he be any worse than Gunnar defensively?
Gunnar needs to be replaced no doubt. I don't think they view Komisarek as that player.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:35 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Gunnar needs to be replaced no doubt. I don't think they view Komisarek as that player.
Why would that be?

Old
03-20-2013, 07:42 AM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Ideally yes, but it doesn't seem he's ever going to get a chance again.

Which is a shame, cause like you mentioned; he was useful towards the end of the last season and in his 4 games this season, looked solid.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:44 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Why would that be?
When was the last time he played? If they had any intention of using him they would have thrown him a game or two at some point.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:44 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

why does everyone care about Komisarek? he has sucked every year in Toronto. compliance buyout and have a good one buddy

Old
03-20-2013, 07:46 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
why does everyone care about Komisarek? he has sucked every year in Toronto. compliance buyout and have a good one buddy
Compliance buyout would be a complete waste. Somebody would take him if he was being shopped

Old
03-20-2013, 07:47 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
When was the last time he played? If they had any intention of using him they would have thrown him a game or two at some point.
Not necessarily. How many games did Holzer play? One would have thought he was here to stay, now he's a Marlie.

Old
03-20-2013, 07:49 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Ideally yes, but it doesn't seem he's ever going to get a chance again.

Which is a shame, cause like you mentioned; he was useful towards the end of the last season and in his 4 games this season, looked solid.
This would seem to be quite a waste of assets if you ask me.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:00 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Not necessarily. How many games did Holzer play? One would have thought he was here to stay, now he's a Marlie.
Holzer played 22, Komisarek 4.

I thought the only reason Holzer played was that they didn't want to play Komisarek.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:03 AM
thewave

Quote:

I thought the only reason Holzer played was that they didn't want to play Komisarek.
Fiberglass eye, Carlyle stubborn blah blah he was good under the system every game.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:04 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:

Carlyle really seems to be giving the young guys a look, giving them their chance.
I believe he was giving Holzer his chance. I wouldn't say he's blown it, but he definitely did not look ready. Gards coming up will not take Holzers place. I'm guessing its back to the box for Liles.

I would not be surprised to see Komi given some playing time shortly.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Parkdale

Quote:
Compliance buyout would be a complete waste. Somebody would take him if he was being shopped
Yes, Nonis just likes Komi so much and has told all teams that he is off limits He could only be traded if the Leafs took back salary or took on another horrendous contract....I think the Leafs would rather use the compliance buyout route - a clean break.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:06 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
Yes, Nonis just likes Komi so much and has told all teams that he is off limits He could only be traded if the Leafs took back salary or took on another horrendous contract....I think the Leafs would rather use the compliance buyout route - a clean break.
On a guy with one year left, I stand corrected actually does sound like exactly what MLSe would do.

As for the contract, 4.5m hit, 3.5m actual. Nowhere near an albatross in today's NHL. A common sense approach would dictate that this player would increase in value toward a playoff run. Come trade deadline, should the Leafs trade him, he will have his highest value.

Of course, one could also believe that his biggest value would be to this young team in a playoff run.

Last edited by The Apologist: 03-20-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old
03-20-2013, 08:10 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Carlyle really seems to be giving the young guys a look, giving them their chance.
I believe he was giving Holzer his chance. I wouldn't say he's blown it, but he definitely did not look ready. Gards coming up will not take Holzers place. I'm guessing its back to the box for Liles.

I would not be surprised to see Komi given some playing time shortly.
I'd be for it, Gunnar needs to go away. I'm just posting why I think it won't be Komisarek.

Ideally,

Franson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Liles
Fraser - Komisarek

If they can bring in another defenseman via trade, Liles moves to the bottom pair.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:11 AM
thewave

Quote:
On a guy with one year left, I stand corrected actually does sound like exactly what MLSe would do.
Or you could cut his salary for 1 year and get a pick back...they will probably buy him out haha

Old
03-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
You seem to be on an island with this line of thinking, Apologist. Fighting an uphill battle. Not a good idea.

Regardless of how bad Gunnarsson has been, Komi ain't the answer. Let Gunnarsson play his way out of his funk/through the injury. At least he's proven he can be dependable on a consistent basis over the previous 3 seasons. Asking Gunnarsson to return to form is more realistic than asking Komisarek to become smarter.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:15 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
I'd be for it, Gunnar needs to go away. I'm just posting why I think it won't be Komisarek.

Ideally,

Franson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Liles
Fraser - Komisarek

If they can bring in another defenseman via trade, Liles moves to the bottom pair.
I'd like to see Phaneuf- Komi. Don't know why, just think he fits there. Franson Fraser need to stay together, then maybe Gards Kostka. I don't think we see Gards and Liles together. Defensive black hole there, especially if they get caught on the ice with the Kessel line.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:18 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
You seem to be on an island with this line of thinking, Apologist. Fighting an uphill battle. Not a good idea.

Regardless of how bad Gunnarsson has been, Komi ain't the answer. Let Gunnarsson play his way out of his funk/through the injury. At least he's proven he can be dependable on a consistent basis over the previous 3 seasons. Asking Gunnarsson to return to form is more realistic than asking Komisarek to become smarter.
Gunnar is lost our there, and generally looks terrible any time he's not paired with Phaneuf. Some call it a funk, I call it another case of Phaneuf making an AHLer look adequate.

As for Komi, no sweat off my back. Just wondering what people think. I guess I don't see him as the waste many here do. Wouldn't be the first time I disagreed with the masses

Old
03-20-2013, 08:19 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post

And thats where you are wrong, with that hip Gunner can hardly skate and turn at the same time. Everyone knows as well its hard to make decisions in pain. Go close your hand in a door and then try and type after, make sense?

Old
03-20-2013, 08:26 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
I'd like to see Phaneuf- Komi. Don't know why, just think he fits there. Franson Fraser need to stay together, then maybe Gards Kostka. I don't think we see Gards and Liles together. Defensive black hole there, especially if they get caught on the ice with the Kessel line.
I don't think Komisarek could handle the amount of ice that would come with playing top pair. Ideally they bring in a guy to play with Phaneuf.

I take Liles everyday over Kostka but do agree Gardiner/Liles isn't ideal.

Old
03-20-2013, 08:28 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
I don't think Komisarek could handle the amount of ice that would come with playing top pair. Ideally they bring in a guy to play with Phaneuf.

I take Liles everyday over Kostka but do agree Gardiner/Liles isn't ideal.
Bringing in a guy to play with Phaneuf could cost more than were willing to pay. I think if its just 5 on 5, Komi would be fine.

Closed Thread