HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Holzer Sent Down to the Marlies

Old
03-19-2013, 04:38 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

vCash: 500

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:39 PM
htpwn

Holzer is a perfect example of how fickle this fan base is.

Last year, posters here were throwing him in trade proposals and demanding that the team call him up. Now, everybody is partying because he got sent down.

His first extended with the Leafs was very much a mixed bag. He started strong but faded as he was left to face the opposition's top lines night-after-night. For all the talk about bringing young prospects along slowly (including Jake Gardiner), Holzer was rushed into a role which he could not possibly fill and left there to languish. He was made a scapegoat for the team's recent losing streak, even though it was hardly his fault alone. Even in his solid games, such as last week's game against Pittsburgh, posters here found ways to blame him for the loss.

Hope to see him back up once he gets some confidence back.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Kb21

our fan base quickly forgets that he is a rookie, still needed time in the AHL and played well out of his league because of the coach i.e. 1st line pairing when he is realistically a 3rd or 2nd line pairing in the future.

Kb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Clark4Ever

Carlyle bares some responsibility for Holzer becoming a whipping boy around here. Holzer had no business being thrown to the wolves at this stage of his career with the minutes he was logging and the opponents he was facing on a regular basis. Especially with the likes of Liles, Komisarek, and Gardiner waiting in the wings.

Clark4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Radomon

iam so drunkn rihgt now since this gppd news......can't believe holzer got sent dwn let's continue celebrate!!1111

Radomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
our fan base quickly forgets that he is a rookie, still needed time in the AHL and played well out of his league because of the coach i.e. 1st line pairing when he is realistically a 3rd or 2nd line pairing in the future.
Agreed, I feel the exact same way.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:04 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radomon View Post
iam so drunkn rihgt now since this gppd news......can't believe holzer got sent dwn let's continue celebrate!!1111
This guy's got the right idea

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:05 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post

Last year, posters here were throwing him in trade proposals and demanding that the team call him up. Now, everybody is partying because he got sent down.

His first extended with the Leafs was very much a mixed bag. He started strong but faded as he was left to face the opposition's top lines night-after-night. For all the talk about bringing young prospects along slowly (including Jake Gardiner), Holzer was rushed into a role which he could not possibly fill and left there to languish. He was made a scapegoat for the team's recent losing streak, even though it was hardly his fault alone. Even in his solid games, such as last week's game against Pittsburgh, posters here found ways to blame him for the loss.

I'm not concerned now because with Gardiner the Leafs are probably going to go about 14 and 5 the rest of the season.

If they call up Rielly I'd say they are a shoe in for the semi finals.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:06 PM
81snipe

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radomon View Post
Haha nice

81snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:15 PM
ReimTime
Bozakian Bond

Poor guy.. Probably would have been completely fine if he wasn't used so wildly. I mean, he was played against the top lines.. jeez. I hope his confidence returns back in the A. This was definitely the right move though.

ReimTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:20 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Some of you are pretty hard on a guy who projects to be a depth dman at best.

Last edited by blasted_Sabre: 03-19-2013 at 07:03 PM.
blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:31 PM
blueNwhite89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kb21 View Post
Pretty much.

Not Holzer's fault that he's been overplayed on the 1st pairing when he's much better suited to limited minutes.. I'm a big fan of Carlyle but that's on him.

Kid hasn't even reached 25 games at the NHL level. The adjustment between AHL and NHL games takes longer than some of you would think, especially for a rookie defenceman. Holzer will be fine.

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:31 PM
HappyGilmourr

should never have taken this long... pathetic a rookie defensmen coming off a 30 point season had to miss out on more then half of the season... As far as the pairings go as good as Fraser and Franson are you may need to break them up if you want to go with both Liles and Gardiner. Will be interesting who sits out of Liles, Gunnar and Kostka. Personally I would sit Gunnarson for a game.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:

This x 1000.

Holzer will be a serviceable NHL defenseman eventually. He was thrown on the top pairing- and since playing as the #2 didn't work out he got thrown back down. I don't disagree with the demotion, but he was basically only thrown on the top pairing.

Still like Holzer. Love his physicality, and he's got a good attitude.

I agree with sending him down, but lets not write him off yet. I think people are putting too high of hopes on Gardiner now, but it's nice to have the REAL team back (Lupul, Frattin, Reimer, and Gardiner)- lets see what they're made of.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:52 PM
The Thin White Duke

I like the move, he knows what he needs to work on from his experience playing big NHL minutes against top opposition, let him work on it in the AHL instead of refining what he already knew he was good at. He might top out at top-4 instead of bottom paring now with the right coaching from Eakins.

The Thin White Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:55 PM
stakesishigh
how swede it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
Carlyle bares some responsibility for Holzer becoming a whipping boy around here. Holzer had no business being thrown to the wolves at this stage of his career with the minutes he was logging and the opponents he was facing on a regular basis. Especially with the likes of Liles, Komisarek, and Gardiner waiting in the wings.
Completely agree.

The amount of bashing he received by members of this fanbase is absurd and a sad example of how quick we are to turn on people in Toronto with little regard to any other factors that may have impacted a players performance/situation.

With that said, I think this is the right move, I expect to see an improved Holzer back in the Leafs lineup sometime. I think this NHL experience will benefit him longterm.

stakesishigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:19 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakesishigh View Post
Completely agree.

The amount of bashing he received by members of this fanbase is absurd and a sad example of how quick we are to turn on people in Toronto with little regard to any other factors that may have impacted a players performance/situation.

With that said, I think this is the right move, I expect to see an improved Holzer back in the Leafs lineup sometime. I think this NHL experience will benefit him longterm.
This post.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:40 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
There is plenty of blame to go around, but blaming the fanbase is just silly. Carlyle put him in a bad situation and Holzer's play wasn't good enough. The fans being chipper and happy wasn't going to change the results. Just give people less to complain about.

In the end pretty sad that the only place we could put guys fresh from the AHL was with Phaneuf against the toughest competition in the league. It was just ridiculous and I feel for Holzer. But in the end it's not like he's going to turn into our elite guy anyways. Will be good for him to play against more reasonable competition for a while. Maybe once they clean up the defense a spot on the bottom pairings can get opened up for him.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:46 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:

agreed with this. hopefully we'll see him back up soon.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:28 PM
Stephen

Holzer was probably in over his head in terms of playing in the NHL the past couple of months. As a personal prejudice, I hate the notion of big defensive defensemen and the whole philosophy of them, as well as trying to develop them, as it is a thankless, nasty task. They are at their most useful when you're loading up for a playoff run and you sign one as a UFA or trade a 3rd round pick for one.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:46 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

He had no business playing 20+ mins a night. At best he is a solid 5-6, it's a dream to think he is a top two. Kostka is being used the same way until recent. Put these guys in a chance to succeed long term, that's with sheltered mins in the 3rd pairing.

Problem with the defense is we have too many 5-6 guys playing top pairing mins.

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 10:53 PM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Thank god, now get Gunnar outta there.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
veedubn1

Holzer was in over his head.

If I have to sit by and watch defensive mistakes occur due to inexperience, I'd rather it be Jake than Korb.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:43 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Holzer was in over his head.

If I have to sit by and watch defensive mistakes occur due to inexperience, I'd rather it be Jake than Korb.
Exactly this.

To the others, Holzer will never ever be a NHL D ever again, the mistakes he made were beyond rookie mistakes they were inept mindless dumb plays. He can tell his kids he once played a bit in the NHL but thats it. I cant think of a team who would even want him and the leafs have better coming up. The end.

Aulie was 10x the D this guy was.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:52 PM
kihei

vCash: 4632
A Gardiner for Holzer trade off. What a relief.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote