HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposals and Rumors 2012/13 Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 05:25 PM
bluechipbonzo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I don't know if he's even available, but a guy like Cal Clutterbuck could be a nice addition to the Isles' top line alongside Tavares and Moulson.

He's physical, he's a good skater, and he's shown he can approach 20-goals (He's scored 19 goals and 15 goals in the NHL without top line minutes). Plus there's the additional bonus of him and Tavares having played together before. Clutterbuck was a key to creating space for JT during Tavares' vaunted 72 goal season in the OHL.
No thanks.

And he won't be a first line player anywhere else either.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Sidney the Kidney
NHL's best winger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
No thanks.

Just curious, but why?

I've read numerous posts on here clamoring for Matt Martin to get shifts on Tavares' line. Clutterbuck's got more natural skill than Martin, yet plays a similar physical game as well. So if people want Martin on that line, why wouldn't a (relatively) more talented version be a good fit?

As for him being a first line player, he's not the type that can be the main guy on a line. But I don't see why he couldn't be a "third wheel" type. Pardon the example, but look at a guy like Pascal Dupuis in Pittsburgh. He's hardly the kind of guy you'd think of when you think of first line wingers, yet he's done OK in that regard as the third wheel to Crosby and Kunitz.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:38 PM
seafoam
seasick

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
No thanks.

No thanks? I'd welcome Clutterbuck, he's tough, gritty, and hits everything in sight. Not many players on this team do that.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:13 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Agreed. The only relatively unproven goalie I would want is Bernier. Other than him, I want a proven NHL starter.

Exactly how are the Islanders going to get Bernier without giving up a huge package of prospects and picks? A lot of teams have interest in him. What can we offer to LA that other teams cant? Streit? Id love Bernier but I doubt we have the resourcew to make this move. Where are we going to get a proven starting goalie? There isnt many free agents this yr. Legit #1 goalies just dont get traded in the NHL.

Bishop is an affordable option who has shown #1 form over the last couple seasons. Ottawa is also a team that has needs the Islanders can fill and vice versa. We need goal tending they need a goal scoring winger and a pmd. Bishop gives immediate depth in net, which was painfully obvious last night. Nabby is a 100 years old and has struggled at times this yr. Bishop gives Nabby a rest and if be continues his solid play he takes over the #1 role in time. He is a rfa anywaya, so he will come at a reasonable pri,e. Nabbys time on the Island is coming to an end. He is one injury away from the end of his career and that would make Poulin our starter.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Boik14

If you want to get a young goalie I would think would be a good time to inquire about Jack Campbell from Dallas. Kari Lehtonen has played very well the last 2 years and is still pretty young. Another option would be trying to pry Luongo or Schneider off Vancouvers hands....Luongo in particular might be cheaper then expected because of the money involved. Say what you will about his playoff performances...lets get there first then worry about it.

As for fowards, this team has needed a 2nd line C since Mike Peca. Thats should be the forward spot we look for a player at as that is what improves the team most immediately. Not knocking Frans, just think hes best suited as a 3rd line C.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:15 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Exactly how are the Islanders going to get Bernier without giving up a huge package of prospects and picks? A lot of teams have interest in him. What can we offer to LA that other teams cant? Streit? Id love Bernier but I doubt we have the resourcew to make this move. Where are we going to get a proven starting goalie? There isnt many free agents this yr. Legit #1 goalies just dont get traded in the NHL.

Bishop is an affordable option who has shown #1 form over the last couple seasons. Ottawa is also a team that has needs the Islanders can fill and vice versa. We need goal tending they need a goal scoring winger and a pmd. Bishop gives immediate depth in net, which was painfully obvious last night. Nabby is a 100 years old and has struggled at times this yr. Bishop gives Nabby a rest and if be continues his solid play he takes over the #1 role in time. He is a rfa anywaya, so he will come at a reasonable pri,e. Nabbys time on the Island is coming to an end. He is one injury away from the end of his career and that would make Poulin our starter.
I don't think Bernier gets traded until the offseason. At that point, we will have to see what the top offer is...when was the last time a goalie went for a huge package? One without starting experience? Varlamnov was traded for a future 1st and 2nd. Will Bernier get more? I would gladly give up our 2014 first in a deal for Bernier.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:38 AM
duster19

Quote:
I don't think Bernier gets traded until the offseason. At that point, we will have to see what the top offer is...when was the last time a goalie went for a huge package? One without starting experience? Varlamnov was traded for a future 1st and 2nd. Will Bernier get more? I would gladly give up our 2014 first in a deal for Bernier.
Varlamov is a good comparative deal. Bernier will go for at least the same. If he gets traded at the deadline then I think he goes for more. If cgy is offering Iggy, then the Isles dont have much to counter with except picks.

In the offseason he may be cheaper. I think Bishop could be had for a couple roster players who arent long term solutions.

Id be happy with either or both. This team is so thin in net. Id much rather have Ottawa or LAs problem with to many goalies then not enough. I just want to see this team make a move to improve this team long term and address a major concern. Status quo is unnacceptable

Old
03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Devils got D'Agostini for a 5th rounder. That's a great deal.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Glorydays22

I gotta think..heard reports that the islanders were trying hard to get into the barclay center for next year. I think if that's so, you can expect the islanders to do something big in the off-season. If not, we will have to wait another year for some BIG trades. The islanders are definitely going to want to come into the new arena with some big expectations.

Old
03-22-2013, 11:29 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Devils got D'Agostini for a 5th rounder. That's a great deal.
Dags has 2 pts on the season in 16 games played.
I'd call this trade a salary cap dump, that NJ was happy to take on.

The article doesn't mention the Dags trade, but it does mention that the Blues are facing one of their most expensive offseasons and have been looking for ways to cut expenses. Stewart, Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo are rfas this summer. Blues might be worried about offersheets being given to Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo, after the Weber and ROR offersheets.

http://bleedinblue.com/2013/03/21/st...hicago-wolves/

Last edited by CREW99AW: 03-22-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 12:47 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Just curious, but why?

I've read numerous posts on here clamoring for Matt Martin to get shifts on Tavares' line. Clutterbuck's got more natural skill than Martin, yet plays a similar physical game as well. So if people want Martin on that line, why wouldn't a (relatively) more talented version be a good fit?

As for him being a first line player, he's not the type that can be the main guy on a line. But I don't see why he couldn't be a "third wheel" type. Pardon the example, but look at a guy like Pascal Dupuis in Pittsburgh. He's hardly the kind of guy you'd think of when you think of first line wingers, yet he's done OK in that regard as the third wheel to Crosby and Kunitz.
Clutterbuck would be a nice addition, even better IMHO would be Neil. Balance out the lines and cause more chances by playing tougher down the middle, in the slot, something this team has lacked with the derelict pansies afraid to hit up and down our roster. This brings Boyes down a line to spark offense on line 2. Neilson on line 3 for defensive reasons and scoring ability.

Gd idea.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:51 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Varlamov is a good comparative deal. Bernier will go for at least the same. If he gets traded at the deadline then I think he goes for more. If cgy is offering Iggy, then the Isles dont have much to counter with except picks.

In the offseason he may be cheaper. I think Bishop could be had for a couple roster players who arent long term solutions.

Id be happy with either or both. This team is so thin in net. Id much rather have Ottawa or LAs problem with to many goalies then not enough. I just want to see this team make a move to improve this team long term and address a major concern. Status quo is unnacceptable
We're sliding. We have a chance. Offer our 1st to Cgy for Iggy with Okposo. You have a top line winger with toughness and leadership. Then call up Nelson to go n Boyes' wing with Bailey.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Felix Unger
formerly Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorydays22 View Post
I gotta think..heard reports that the islanders were trying hard to get into the barclay center for next year. I think if that's so, you can expect the islanders to do something big in the off-season. If not, we will have to wait another year for some BIG trades. The islanders are definitely going to want to come into the new arena with some big expectations.
It's speculation. There's, unfortunately, no real evidence that the Islanders are going to change course this offseason. If we see Nabokov and Streit re-signed, and Visnovsky traded at the deadline (which is what I expect), that will be confirmation of the expectation of the status-quo.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
03-22-2013, 12:58 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

As long as that ******* cheap ass owner owns the team it doesn't matter where the Isles play. He wont spend the money needed to ice a winning team. Please spare me the "but he saved the isles" ********. He can go screw off.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:02 PM
kasper11

Quote:

Given that Quick is coming off of back surgery in the offseason and hasn't looked sharp, I don't see any way they move Bernier now.

If he can improve his numbers a bit down the stretch, I wonder if the Kings would have interest in Okposo. Cheap replacement for Penner. Not saying Okposo would be enough, but could be a big part. Could also clear up some space for improvement up front.

Old
03-22-2013, 01:29 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Clutterbuck would be a nice addition, even better IMHO would be Neil. Balance out the lines and cause more chances by playing tougher down the middle, in the slot, something this team has lacked with the derelict pansies afraid to hit up and down our roster. This brings Boyes down a line to spark offense on line 2. Neilson on line 3 for defensive reasons and scoring ability.

Gd idea.
I like Neil better, he acquits himself well 5 on 5, and makes smart simple plays on the powerplay.

I don't like either as a first line player, or Matt Martin (who has to be hurt cause he played his worst game of the year last night) on the top line...

That's why I said no thanks. JT needs more hands and speed on his wings...a developed Nino or better conditioned Brad Boyes is better than CC.

Old
03-22-2013, 10:07 PM
duster19

Quote:
Given that Quick is coming off of back surgery in the offseason and hasn't looked sharp, I don't see any way they move Bernier now.

If he can improve his numbers a bit down the stretch, I wonder if the Kings would have interest in Okposo. Cheap replacement for Penner. Not saying Okposo would be enough, but could be a big part. Could also clear up some space for improvement up front.
I could see LA having interest in Okposo. What about trading Moulson to LA. They drafted him...

Old
03-23-2013, 03:29 AM
CREW99AW

For those calling for the flawed Moulson to be traded... any playoff bound team, would only offer picks/prospects/struggling players.

Isles have been stockpiling picks/prospects since the 2008 draft. Snow imo will not trade any of his core players, especially one on a great contract like Moulson, for more picks/prospects.

Fans think Tavares was upset and frustrated early in the season,try trading Moulson's who's had seasons of 30 goals, 31 goals and 36 goals for picks/prospects/struggling players.

Last edited by CREW99AW: 03-23-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old
03-23-2013, 03:30 AM
OlTimeHockey

There was a rumor today that Snow touches a phone....but it was bogus as it was only an attempt to get the sauce he spilled on the receiver which he promptly licked his fingers afterwards,the fat lazy SOB.

No desperately needed trade. We're doing great with this rebuild.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:32 AM
steveat

What about trying for Derek Roy to center our third line. I know he is a bit on the smaller side, but he would be a huge upgrade to Reasoner. Unless we are absolutely confident that one of our "unproven" prospects will take that spot and succeed. He would be a good stopgap I think.

We have a ton of prospects, but there is no guarantee. At least this way, we can start to build a team that knows how to win, then our prospects will learn from that.

Old
03-23-2013, 08:23 AM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
What about trying for Derek Roy to center our third line. I know he is a bit on the smaller side, but he would be a huge upgrade to Reasoner. Unless we are absolutely confident that one of our "unproven" prospects will take that spot and succeed. He would be a good stopgap I think.

We have a ton of prospects, but there is no guarantee. At least this way, we can start to build a team that knows how to win, then our prospects will learn from that.
Cheaper to just claim Halpern off waivers and then waive Reasoner. Of course he's not Roy but still an upgrade over Reasoner

Old
03-23-2013, 08:29 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post

Roy's a ufa in July. His agent and the Stars gm are holding extension talks. He wants a long term deal.

Even if he prices himself out of Dallas, someone will offer him a longterm deal at his current $4m-$5m per.

Old
03-23-2013, 10:40 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
I could see LA having interest in Okposo. What about trading Moulson to LA. They drafted him...
Actually the Penguins drafted him (NINTH Round). He went to Cornell for 4 years and didn't sign with Pitt. LA signed him after he completed his education and College eligibility.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:31 AM
A Pointed Stick
Simple Answer

vCash: 250
Quote:
Because Lombardi's goal is to win a cup. Snow's goal is to keep costs down.

Old
03-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Sidney the Kidney
NHL's best winger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Roy's a ufa in July. His agent and the Stars gm are holding extension talks. He wants a long term deal.

Even if he prices himself out of Dallas, someone will offer him a longterm deal at his current $4m-$5m per.
Bob MacKenzie was talking about Roy and Dallas being apart in their contract talks. I might be misremembering, but I could have sworn MacKenzie mentioned Roy's camp is looking for a deal in the $6 million per year range.

Closed Thread