HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Trade Proposals and Rumors 2012/13 Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-23-2013, 11:57 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Bob MacKenzie was talking about Roy and Dallas being apart in their contract talks. I might be misremembering, but I could have sworn MacKenzie mentioned Roy's camp is looking for a deal in the $6 million per year range.
$6m

I hadn't realized Roy had played so well in Dallas, that he could ask for that much.

Old
03-23-2013, 12:20 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Actually the Penguins drafted him (NINTH Round). He went to Cornell for 4 years and didn't sign with Pitt. LA signed him after he completed his education and College eligibility.
That I did not know. Moulson is an interesting player. Lots of teams looking for a scoring winger. Snow is going to have to make a long term dwcision on him eventually. Im thinking he is going to want a long term contract at a raise. Do we see him long term as an Islander or could he be used to help plug a hole somewhere else in the lineup

Old
03-23-2013, 12:23 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
That I did not know. Moulson is an interesting player. Lots of teams looking for a scoring winger. Snow is going to have to make a long term dwcision on him eventually. Im thinking he is going to want a long term contract at a raise. Do we see him long term as an Islander or could he be used to help plug a hole somewhere else in the lineup
Our biggest hole with Boyes here is first line RW. You get one and you have Boyes to center the 2nd line, Franz goes where he belongs and then you have lines set to be improved upon via trade or promotion.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:20 PM
SI

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Our biggest hole with Boyes here is first line RW. You get one and you have Boyes to center the 2nd line, Franz goes where he belongs and then you have lines set to be improved upon via trade or promotion.
Boyes is not a C - hasn't played the position since breaking into the league.

You have Nelson, Strome, or Lee that can fill that role in the next season or two.
Keep Boyes where he's at, where he excels, where he belongs.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:35 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI View Post
Boyes is not a C - hasn't played the position since breaking into the league.

You have Nelson, Strome, or Lee that can fill that role in the next season or two.
Keep Boyes where he's at, where he excels, where he belongs.
Does he play the C better than Frans on line 2? Done. But, as you read, only if we can get a top line winger. The POINT was to make four lines better with one glaring need, not to make Boyes play a position he has not in some time.

Absent some help coming from our highly regarded runner up to GM of the year Chipotle Chump, I like Boyes right where he is. We don't have anyone better unless we mix a physical player on the wing for JT.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:03 PM
steveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Roy's a ufa in July. His agent and the Stars gm are holding extension talks. He wants a long term deal.

Even if he prices himself out of Dallas, someone will offer him a longterm deal at his current $4m-$5m per.
I read an article on TSN that implied Roy, Morrow and Jagr may not be with the team if they are not in playoff contention..if they are willing to let them go now..what's gonna change from then till summer.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:08 PM
steveat

Long shot...but one year contract for Jagr..bring it.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:18 PM
startainfection

if the isles could sign rob scuderi it would be absolutely huge for them

Old
03-23-2013, 02:35 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
I read an article on TSN that implied Roy, Morrow and Jagr may not be with the team if they are not in playoff contention..if they are willing to let them go now..what's gonna change from then till summer.
Dallas management has been trying to get Roy to sign an extension. They want him to stay, whether they make this seasons playoffs or not.

But, he's pricing himself off their roster with his $6m per demand.

Some of the top players who were scheduled to hit the ufa market, like Perry and Getzlef, are being signed by their teams. The 2013 ufa market, is not as strong as fans/teams hoped. Some desperate gm will give Roy $6m or close to that, on a weaker market.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Former Islander Nate Thompson just got 4 years @$1.6 extension from Tampa.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:50 PM
duster19

Quote:
I love Morrow. He is past it now. Maybe ship boyes out of town and put bailey on the top line, morrow slides in on 2nd line?

Old
03-23-2013, 03:04 PM
steveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Dallas management has been trying to get Roy to sign an extension. They want him to stay, whether they make this seasons playoffs or not.

But, he's pricing himself off their roster with his $6m per demand.

Some of the top players who were scheduled to hit the ufa market, like Perry and Getzlef, are being signed by their teams. The 2013 ufa market, is not as strong as fans/teams hoped. Some desperate gm will give Roy $6m or close to that, on a weaker market.
I haven't watched him play. Is he worth that much? That's top dollar for a non top line player.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:14 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I haven't watched him play. Is he worth that much? That's top dollar for a non top line player.
very valuable but not $6M valuable. $4M and I'd be all over it.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:36 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I thought he was a good secondary scorer in Buffalo. Not worth that type of $ though.

He's small and not physical which makes me question, even if he was willing to sign in the $4m range, if he's really what the isles need in the top 6.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:29 PM
SI

[QUOTE=OlTimeHockey;62229513]Does he play the C better than Frans on line 2? Done. But, as you read, only if we can get a top line winger. The POINT was to make four lines better with one glaring need, not to make Boyes play a position he has not in some time."

To answer ur question -(albeit rhetorical) NO- boyes doesn't play the C better than Fransie. Not even close- just because he was drafted as a C does Not mean he can play C at the NHL level.

Maybe I don't get ur post. Actually I don't get ur post, but regardless I think it is a stretch to suggest boyes play C. AND u need to recognize the player u have in Nielsen.
Nielsen is not the problem. He is part of the solution.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:40 PM
frankieboy

[QUOTE=SI;62247647]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Does he play the C better than Frans on line 2? Done. But, as you read, only if we can get a top line winger. The POINT was to make four lines better with one glaring need, not to make Boyes play a position he has not in some time."

To answer ur question -(albeit rhetorical) NO- boyes doesn't play the C better than Fransie. Not even close- just because he was drafted as a C does Not mean he can play C at the NHL level.

Maybe I don't get ur post. Actually I don't get ur post, but regardless I think it is a stretch to suggest boyes play C. AND u need to recognize the player u have in Nielsen.
Agreed...he is part of the solution (unless he needs to get packaged for a better player), but he is not part of the solution on the 2nd line. That IS the problem. He is the best we've got, but that's not getting it done.

Old
03-23-2013, 06:49 PM
SI

[QUOTE=frankieboy;62248551]
Quote:

Agreed...he is part of the solution (unless he needs to get packaged for a better player), but he is not part of the solution on the 2nd line. That IS the problem. He is the best we've got, but that's not getting it done.
BUT Boyes is not the answer at the 2C!

And our problems at head coach, ownership, in Net and on the blue line far outweigh
Our problem at 2c

Old
03-23-2013, 07:33 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
BUT Boyes is not the answer at the 2C!
We must find a spot for Boyes! He's just that good. Maybe he can play on defense?! He scored 30 goals 5 years ago, you know! We can retire his number next to Czerkawski's and Schremp's. As long as the Isles are around, bums like Boyes will have a place in a top 6.

Old
03-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
if the isles could sign rob scuderi it would be absolutely huge for them
Actually, you might have the younger version of him in Brian Strait. That was the word on him in the Penguins' system.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:17 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:

OK.....there's logic.....a good second line center coming in, a top line winger moving Boyes down {Boyes plays better than Okposo}, Nielson being a GREAT 3rd line center forced to play second line....ok. Easy fixes with sound logic and a real GM.

Now, the caveat to which I replied: WE have Garf Garf as GM.

So if you have a scoring player who has played center and can, who can pass and score.....how do you make this whole mess work optimally if you have a GM incapable of doing his job?

You get one key player. One. Garth getting two key players in one five year span would open up the space time continuum and wreak havoc on existence in general. So one player. If you could pick the IDEAL....you get a guy who rounds out MM and JT to make them better. Done. You are the Islanders, you have Boyes who has talent. He's flawed, but this is Charles B.Wang's Islanders. We have a taste for slop and keep watching, hoping the slop will taste better each year. So....

Boyes is tried at center until Strome is ready. He scores, passes well and is deficient on defense, BUT....Bailey is on his wing. Okposo is there on the other wing unless traded. Maybe it works. If not....we have Garth as GM. It's gotta be better than what we have now.

Line 3 has Frans and Grabs and whoever. I'd like to see Ullstrom or, if he's ready, Nino {just to have defense and speed there for Nino's transition from crying AHL patsie to grown up NHL rookie-in-reality-but-not-really-a-rookie}. The third line is better than now by a landslide. The fourth line then has a trickle down...CMac, Martin and Ullstrom? Aucoin? Can Brock Nelson make the leap? {I believe he can and this would be a solid line for him to break in with}

So....with Garf Garf doing as little as would be expected for him to do since he's a fat lazy slob unable to use a touchtone phone when his team is desperate, BUT HE IS FREE TO SPEND......if we could land ONE player, this is how I envision the penny pinching Isles being best served with one move. At least with the offensive lines and the defense and offense being served best.

Last edited by OlTimeHockey: 03-24-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old
03-24-2013, 06:41 AM
BillD

So I'll say it again.

I woould like to see us get struggling winger Ryan Clowe to replace Boyes or Moulson, drop Boyes to 3rd line or MM26 to 2nd line. I would use Boyes in a best case to make the trade, thereby replacing a RW for SJ for the balance of the year. Clowe is a pending UFA who makes $3.75MM, is going to be 31 in September, and is 1 season (plus this one) removed from a 24 goal 50 point output. Has scored 20+ 1 other time and 19 and 17 in two other years. Provides the grit, protection, net front presence that would free up JT. He will want $4MM to extend, not terrible if he regains his finishing touch, which he likely will. Needs a change of address.

Old
03-24-2013, 08:48 AM
CREW99AW

I didn't hear the discussion below. I'm guessing Snow is kicking the tires, in case he can't sign Lubo.

A poster on mania says "between periods of a recent Devils game, Deb and Stan were discussing players expected to be on the move, Viz was the fourth player discussed, not for another player, was told for a Garth special draft choice".

Old
03-24-2013, 08:56 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
So I'll say it again.

I woould like to see us get struggling winger Ryan Clowe to replace Boyes or Moulson, drop Boyes to 3rd line or MM26 to 2nd line. I would use Boyes in a best case to make the trade, thereby replacing a RW for SJ for the balance of the year. Clowe is a pending UFA who makes $3.75MM, is going to be 31 in September, and is 1 season (plus this one) removed from a 24 goal 50 point output. Has scored 20+ 1 other time and 19 and 17 in two other years. Provides the grit, protection, net front presence that would free up JT. He will want $4MM to extend, not terrible if he regains his finishing touch, which he likely will. Needs a change of address.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:03 AM
LeHabsMan

Would Isles fans do this trade?

Nabokov, Boyes and Okposo for Bernier, 2nd round pick and Lewis/Nolan.

I think Kings would do that deal. Not really losing much of there current roster and adding some good scoring. Isles get a goalie, pick and 4th liner.

Old
03-24-2013, 10:05 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Would Isles fans do this trade?

Nabokov, Boyes and Okposo for Bernier, 2nd round pick and Lewis/Nolan.

I think Kings would do that deal. Not really losing much of there current roster and adding some good scoring. Isles get a goalie, pick and 4th liner.
yes, the islanders make that trade. it's not even debatable on the nyi end.

Closed Thread