HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Black/Purple Jerseys to Be Retired Tonight: Good or Bad?

View Poll Results: Black/Purple Jerseys to Be Retired Tonight: Good or Bad?
Good. Those jerseys are associated with a painful era in Kings history 31 44.93%
Bad. I like color. Purple is royalty. 26 37.68%
Whatever. 12 17.39%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
The Kings won the Cup wearing black and white. I can't see it ever going away again.

Has any Cup winning team ever made a major uniform color change after winning the Cup?
The Penguins after winning the Cup in back-to-back years in '91 and '92. Pens fans were not very pleased with the change.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:37 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafa Nadal View Post
But the Lakers were the ones that symbolized that color scheme (at least in pro sports). I don't have a problem with going back to the old purple and gold as our primary logo. But I'm REALLY fine with just black, white, and silver. We shouldn't have imitated the Sacramento Kings, though.
The only reason for that is because they have been consistent winners. And arguably the most popular team in LA for years. Having moved out of LA 5 years ago I can't say if it is still a problem but the black and silver was a problem in schools from gangs. It started with the Raiders and moved to the Kings when they took those colors. So for that reason alone I would prefer to not see that scheme.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I personally think the crown stinks. It's too cheesy/cartoony looking with the hockey sticks on top. If they were to switch to a crown logo, I hope they come up with a new design. I much prefer the crown on the vintage uniforms.
I liek this as well but I have been informed (by other fans) that it looks like more a queens crown than a king.
Not saying that it is my opinion.
I htink either crown is better than our current logo. Wen went from chev simple to Dodge.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:45 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I liek this as well but I have been informed (by other fans) that it looks like more a queens crown than a king.
Those people don't know what a king's crown looks like.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Apparently, the Coyotes are also contemplating uniform changes, as outlined by kings.com here:

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=660988

03-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
I htink either crown is better than our current logo. Wen went from chev simple to Dodge.
One of the reasons for the current logo with LA in bold is that the Kings wanted to create an identity like the Dodgers with the symbolic LA logo. And also its a logo that wouldn't confuse others to think that they're from Sacramento, except for when it comes to local news stations...

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
Yes but for different reasons. I never liked those jerseys. they should have never changed from the Chevy logo.

But now that Ron Swanson mentions it: other than some good years of Luc and Ziggy, the 01 playoff run , and the 01 playoff run, I'd like to forget about those jerseys and those years
The Kings were wearing the shield in 2001. Same color scheme but different logo. I was a bigger fan of the shield logo personally.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:08 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
LA Kings ‏@LAKings
@MeiGray will be authenticating and auctioning off tonight's game worn LA Kings Purple and Black jerseys meigray.com

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:12 PM
tsanuri

Sometimes when the auction them you can get some real steals on them.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:32 PM
BringTheReign

I honestly would not have as much of a problem with them retiring these if our current sweaters had a better logo.

That being said, our current sweaters will always be my favorite considering we won our first Cup in them.

I'm severely conflicted.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:45 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
One of the reasons for the current logo with LA in bold is that the Kings wanted to create an identity like the Dodgers with the symbolic LA logo. And also its a logo that wouldn't confuse others to think that they're from Sacramento, except for when it comes to local news stations...
What's funny is that the soon-to-be retired color scheme totally copied the Sacramento color scheme.

I'm glad to see them go as I was never a fan of the black ones. The white ones looked real nice since they popped more but the black and purple is too drab. I find the black and purple ones to be more dour than the current black ones because the purple isn't bright enough to overcome the black, unlike the white on the current ones.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:31 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Quote:
I personally think the crown stinks. It's too cheesy/cartoony looking with the hockey sticks on top. If they were to switch to a crown logo, I hope they come up with a new design. I much prefer the crown on the vintage uniforms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Agree wholeheartedly. Get rid of home plate, use a simpler and slightly smaller version of the crown, and that would be the best way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Yes, but I would make the current crown simpler without the cheesiness. I wouldn't go back in time to the original crown because its too noisy as well. You can make a slightly smaller crown, aluminum with some white and black streaks thrown in and that would work, I believe.
Definitely agree, but if I had to choose between home plate and recent crown, I would choose the crown. I'm not sure the original crown would work, but maybe a newer simpler design.

That said, the home plate logo and jersey are always going to be associated with the first Cup. They'll probably be here for a long while.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:38 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Bad. I hate our current home/away. If we used the vintage 3rd as our home and a white with forum blue/gold trim as an away, I'd be happy. Or keep the current white/black/silver but get a logo that isn't utter ****.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 07:17 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
What's funny is that the soon-to-be retired color scheme totally copied the Sacramento color scheme.

I'm glad to see them go as I was never a fan of the black ones. The white ones looked real nice since they popped more but the black and purple is too drab. I find the black and purple ones to be more dour than the current black ones because the purple isn't bright enough to overcome the black, unlike the white on the current ones.
I agree with this 100%. The purple and black does not present enough contrast.

Old
03-19-2013, 08:32 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I agree with this 100%. The purple and black does not present enough contrast.
but the all black one does?

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:50 PM
CandianKingsFan14

I think they were the best looking jersey's we ever had. Jerseys now are too plain dont mind them but not spectatcular.

CandianKingsFan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:54 PM
onlyalad

Still hate the home plate jersey most. Boring, dull, colorless, no style, no personality, no good

onlyalad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:02 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

They're my favorite jerseys. I love the color scheme and the logo, so i'm a bit bummed. Our current jerseys are alright besides the logo.

But like someone said, we won the cup with the current jerseys, so it won't be going away.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:12 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

They're middle of the pack with me...with the vintage and the shield jerseys topping the lot... The Burger King was just lower and then the Chevy with the current ones bringing up the rear...about ten furlongs back...

RAZZIE King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:16 PM
backhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsKnight View Post
The jerseys were a decent design, but like the poll says, I associate it with a really rough time as a fan (with a handful of exciting moments).

Part of me wishes they would use the large crown on the current jerseys though. 2011 Dustin Brown agrees...or at least he did before winning the Cup in the current jerseys (http://kings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=66737)
Good info on the Brown quote...this is exactly what I was thinking prior to the new jersey's becoming official. i like brown even more now.

- i do agree with the individuals that say we can get a new crown design. it'd have to be darn perfect to represent the kings.

i truly like the simplicity of just a crown on the jersey

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 09:41 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
but the all black one does?
Yes. Black and white are the highest possible contrast you can have.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:00 PM
Whiskeypete

can't use the excuse either of 'dark period' for the franchise. if that's the case you could say the same for someone like DET through the 70-80s-early 90s until they turned it around. nobody in the world with a sound mind would ever retire the winged wheel jersey, because of that reasoning. i despise DET, but love and respect that uniform.

LA's biggest failure is never establishing a tradition based on the team's logo, colors and uniform. they hit the reset to often for this to happen and now are to the point of a generation of fans not knowing what the past history of the club is when it comes to its own identity.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
I like purple. Go to the vintage as the thirds though. In 15 years, these black and purple ones will be the new vintage anyways.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:27 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I liked the Black/Purple before they went to the edge jerseys.

Thought they looked better that way.

They should wear the late 80's/90's silver and black/white more. Arguably my favorite jersey of all time.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 11:33 PM
Calirose

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsknight View Post
the jerseys were a decent design, but like the poll says, i associate it with a really rough time as a fan (with a handful of exciting moments).

Part of me wishes they would use the large crown on the current jerseys though. 2011 dustin brown agrees...or at least he did before winning the cup in the current jerseys (http://kings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=66737)
omg would be so badass! Would buy.

Calirose is offline   Reply With Quote