Notices

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 3

Old
03-28-2013, 06:39 AM
JansenHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
No idea on where they go. Of the OHL draft eligibles that committed to the NTDP, Kirwan, Tkachuk, McAvoy, and Kunin are late birthdays.
WHB

Can you confirm if Henley was at the USNTDP tryout?

JansenHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:04 AM
checkmate3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JansenHockey View Post
WHB

Can you confirm if Henley was at the USNTDP tryout?
Henley did not attend.

checkmate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 08:10 AM
checkmate3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Hey mapleleaf, What's the difference in talent between Werenski and Spencer, in your opinion?
Realize this question was meant for Leaf, but can tell you there is no comparison between the two. Werenski is on a much higher level playing field, has played with older players his whole career whereas Spencer has not. Werenski is classified as a man playing amongst boys and his maturity level (from being with the older players) is not even equal to the 97 age class. No comparison whatsoever. Ask anyone that knows him and they will tell you the same. Same goes for Kirwan, out of his age class!

Old
03-28-2013, 08:36 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate3 View Post
Realize this question was meant for Leaf, but can tell you there is no comparison between the two. Werenski is on a much higher level playing field, has played with older players his whole career whereas Spencer has not. Werenski is classified as a man playing amongst boys and his maturity level (from being with the older players) is not even equal to the 97 age class. No comparison whatsoever. Ask anyone that knows him and they will tell you the same. Same goes for Kirwan, out of his age class!
What are the chances that Kirwan or Werenski come to the O next season?

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:21 AM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
I would say slim. I think you have to sign a 2 year deal with the USNDP and it costs $50,000 to get out of the deal. Kirwan with a late birthday might attract some attention as after his 2 years there he could play his draft year in the OHL.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:23 AM
orangeandblack

Quote:

Very small if they sign a contract with the NTDP. I can see Kirwan ending up in the OHL after 2 years with the US team, bc of the late birthday. Like Patrick Kane, Brandon Saad, Cam Fowler, Ryan Hartman. So a team like London or Plymouth that can wait 2 years may take him in the 1st. Same with Werenski, although he would show up after he's NHL drafted. Maybe someone takes him in the 2-4th round with hopes he never goes to college, like Jeremy Morin, Stefan Matteau, JT Miller.

Tkachuk, I highly doubt ever makes it to the OHL. Don't know much about Kunin. McAvoy Im sure will depend on his development.

Bracco could be a real steal. He's a Harvard commit, but I think he will outplay his commitment. Either recommit to a better school or go to the OHL. He's the real deal, I can't see him not leading this team in scoring, even with all the talent that is coming in. Most pure skilled US kid since Gaudreau. Having seen Bracco, Gaudreau, and Patrick Kane play as minor midgets, Bracco is hands down the most skilled at this age out of the 3.

orangeandblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:37 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Basically what orangeandblack said. Also, Kirwan and Werenski have already signed their NTDP contracts, along with Tkachuk, Warren, Boka, Fischer and Greenway, which makes those odds even smaller.

03-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Crottenham

Here's the official USA Hockey announcement....

http://www.usantdp.com/news_article/...rrer_id=654408

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:19 AM
checkmate3

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Basically what orangeandblack said. Also, Kirwan and Werenski have already signed their NTDP contracts, along with Tkachuk, Warren, Boka, Fischer and Greenway, which makes those odds even smaller.
WHB is right on! Contracts signed as well as Bracco!

Old
03-28-2013, 10:42 AM
aresknights

Thanks for all the info posters.

A lot of us non scouts, and guys that dont get to see all these kids play appreciate it.

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Mock Draft of the first round:

http://thescout.ca/index.php?option=...news&Itemid=30

Kingpin794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:52 AM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
Thanks for all the info posters.

A lot of us non scouts, and guys that dont get to see all these kids play appreciate it.
I agree

I think it's a great place to come and read,ask,comment about the future OHL prospects.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 11:12 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeandblack View Post
Very small if they sign a contract with the NTDP. I can see Kirwan ending up in the OHL after 2 years with the US team, bc of the late birthday. Like Patrick Kane, Brandon Saad, Cam Fowler, Ryan Hartman. So a team like London or Plymouth that can wait 2 years may take him in the 1st. Same with Werenski, although he would show up after he's NHL drafted. Maybe someone takes him in the 2-4th round with hopes he never goes to college, like Jeremy Morin, Stefan Matteau, JT Miller.

Tkachuk, I highly doubt ever makes it to the OHL. Don't know much about Kunin. McAvoy Im sure will depend on his development.

Bracco could be a real steal. He's a Harvard commit, but I think he will outplay his commitment. Either recommit to a better school or go to the OHL. He's the real deal, I can't see him not leading this team in scoring, even with all the talent that is coming in. Most pure skilled US kid since Gaudreau. Having seen Bracco, Gaudreau, and Patrick Kane play as minor midgets, Bracco is hands down the most skilled at this age out of the 3.
Gaudreau won't get to where Pat Kane is and saying Bracco is already better than a Kane at that age is something . Sounds like a keeper....London have stopped taking risks 2 years back and Hunter even said as much.

They already expect 3 2nd rnd pics back from the Bulls since MacCarron at the NDTP is headed NCAA.

SimonKnightsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:17 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Matt Spencer is a STEAL at #4. In my opinion he is a better long term prospect than Konecny. Tough for me to lean one way or the other with regards to Strome vs Spencer debate. Spencer deserved more hype and Id consider him #1 or #2 without Day, no question in my mind. U dont see 6-2 d-men with those feet too often. Looks like an elite NHL defenseman in the making. More dangerous, further along than Roland MCkeown was in minor midget, in my opinion. Roland is one of my favourite all time players to watch at the minor midget level, but Im just calling it like I see it. Spencer is better at the same age, more gifted. Roland might have had a better compete level, tough to say anyone's is or was better than Mckeown in that category.
Agreed. Everything about Spencer says "STUD"

The top 4 teams are all getting tremendous talents.

If I am picking based on long-term value (which isn't the case for OHL teams usually), I am going:

1. Day
2. Spencer
3. Strome
4. Konecny

For the OHL, I like:
1. Day
2a. Konecny
2b. Spencer (damn close)
4. Strome

dean youngblood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:20 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
Great stuff. Lizotte at 19th seems low though. What a steal that would be.

dean youngblood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:27 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Hey mapleleaf, What's the difference in talent between Werenski and Spencer, in your opinion?
On the offensive side of things, the 2 players in my opinion are quite close. Long term Spencer might have the edge, offensively. On the defensive side of things Werenski is better, a big punishing hitter, physically stronger it appears. Overall Werenski is better in my eyes. I dont think he is miles ahead though. If Werenski was available he would be the only player that Id consider taking over Sean Day.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:36 PM
jfb392

If anyone needed more confirmation than Tigers saying it, it looks like Petawabano is Q eligible, as he was named to the Québec U17 camp today.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

There is an article on five OHL draft prospects on the OHL site. 4 of the 5 are names I've heard of: Strome, Spencer, Speers and Konecny.

The fiftth name though, I haven't heard of: Kris Myllari. Can anyone give me some info on this guy? Is he as good as the other four? What round do you see him going in? Seems a little weird to have him part of that article with the other first round guys if he isn't a first round guy as well.

Kingpin794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:04 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
There is an article on five OHL draft prospects on the OHL site. 4 of the 5 are names I've heard of: Strome, Spencer, Speers and Konecny.

The fiftth name though, I haven't heard of: Kris Myllari. Can anyone give me some info on this guy? Is he as good as the other four? What round do you see him going in? Seems a little weird to have him part of that article with the other first round guys if he isn't a first round guy as well.
Probably early to mid second rounder.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Ottersfan1

Long time lurker. If Ottawa takes Day, can someone tell be the pluses and minuses of Konecny and Strome?

Ottersfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Daneurism

Where would Petawabano slot if he were eligible for the OHL draft? Late first, early second?

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:52 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Where would Petawabano slot if he were eligible for the OHL draft? Late first, early second?
OHL Central had him 34th before he was deleted. Some team probably would have taken him higher then that thou. Mid second is more then fair.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 06:29 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

He isnt as good as those guys right now and will be selected just a little bit later in the draft. Myllari is projected to be an early second round pick for this draft. He is big boy that could use a little more weight to him, competes hard, physical/mean streak, versatile, good feet. Ottawa picking #20 might consider him .

Old
03-28-2013, 06:38 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I think early second would be more likely. Definately one of the first ten picks in the second round, inside the Top 30 overall. He is 6-3, 236 pounds right now. If he uses his size a bit more in the QMJHL, his potential is going to increase greatly.

Old
03-28-2013, 07:39 PM
gunner staal

i'm curious about some of these names popping up after the unarguable top 2 blueliners. myllari or mcfadden seem to be getting a big push here. definitely good dmen, but if I'm an OHL GM, I have a hard time passing up a kid like wilkie in favor of those guys. much more upside and more physically ready. as an american he came to the G so his intentions are pretty clear. myllari doesnt strike me as a first round pick. i cant see teams with a need for D such as maybe oshawa, kitchener, guelph going for myllari in the first. again not denying talent but thats a reach. i think teams like that take a hard long look at a kid like wilkie but doesnt seem to be mentioned much here. pretty intrigued by his combination of size and skill, plus he plays pretty nasty.

Last edited by gunner staal: 03-28-2013 at 07:44 PM.
gunner staal is offline   Reply With Quote