Notices

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 3

Old
04-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Crottenham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Catching up on some of the weekend posts and I'm surprised anyone would criticize Sean Lafortune. There isn't a classier individual I have met than Sean. He pretty much lives in the rink, is very approachable and most importantly, understands that while he has his own opinions, he also respects others' opinions too

I'm amazed at how many games he sees in a year. Great guy and definitely one of the hardest workers for the OHL draft.

As many have posted, scouting will never be perfected and it's the difference of opinions on these players that makes following their development and careers all that more interesting
In my opinion the criticism of Sean Lafortune is a by-product of parents who are not happy where their kids were ranked, nothing more. As long as teenagers are being drafted in this country into the national pastime, this issue will always exist.

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:22 AM
howndawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
Now why would you get my hopes up like that?
If Hendley drops that far, Saggy won't get him. Greyhounds will grab him and let Capo go to Saginaw. Doubt very much if either one falls that far tho.

howndawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gensfan9 View Post
Will throw a mock out there.

1. Ottawa - Travis Konecny (Elgin)
2. Erie - Dylan Strome (Marlboro's)
3. Peterbrough- Sean Day (Compuware)
4. Mississauga - Nikita Korostelev (JRC)
5. Kingston - Lawson Crouse (Elgin
6. Niagara - Brett Mckenzie (Oakville)
7. Sudbury - Blake speers (Soo Thunder)
8. Saginaw - Matt Spencer (Oakville)
9. Sarnia - Mitch Stephens (Marlboro's)
10. North bay - Hayden McCool (Whitby)
11. SOO - kyle capobianco (Oakville)
12. Guelph - Troy Henley (Oakville)
13. Kitchener - Mitch Vande Sompel (London Gold
14. Oshawa - Garrett Mcfadden (Grey Bruce)
15. Barrie Davies (southern Tier)
16. Plymouth - Matt Kries (Halton)
17. Owensound - Cameron Lizzotte (Nickel City)
18. Belleville - Ethan Szypula (London)
19. London - Tyler Macarthur (Barrie)
I have to think the Dogs would take Spencer if he fell to six. But, they've proven me wrong before.

Mcnotloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 08:45 AM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by howndawg View Post
If Hendley drops that far, Saggy won't get him. Greyhounds will grab him and let Capo go to Saginaw. Doubt very much if either one falls that far tho.
How could the Greyhounds grab anybody before Saginaw picks? I think he was talking about Spencer dropping to 8th but I can't see that happening.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:01 AM
U of C Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I hope every team pulls a Kingston/Domi situation, and disregard the NCAA card crap and just pick the BPA. And I hope that all these players dont report.

This way, next year there will be 40 picks in the first round, and maybe then will Dave Branch take his head out of his , you know what, and make some desperately needed rule changes. LOL
What would a proposed rule change look like ?

U of C Trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:40 AM
Pinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I hope every team pulls a Kingston/Domi situation, and disregard the NCAA card crap and just pick the BPA. And I hope that all these players dont report.

This way, next year there will be 40 picks in the first round, and maybe then will Dave Branch take his head out of his , you know what, and make some desperately needed rule changes. LOL
He won't.. He wants to run the show his way!

Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch View Post
He won't.. He wants to run the show his way!
The league(s) have grown considerably in revenues and in stature under his watch.....must be doing something right?

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 10:30 AM
howndawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
How could the Greyhounds grab anybody before Saginaw picks? I think he was talking about Spencer dropping to 8th but I can't see that happening.
Sorry Buddy I was thinking Guelph and wrote Saggy. My bad!!

howndawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:00 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gensfan9 View Post
Will throw a mock out there.

1. Ottawa - Travis Konecny (Elgin)
2. Erie - Dylan Strome (Marlboro's)
3. Peterbrough- Sean Day (Compuware)
4. Mississauga - Nikita Korostelev (JRC)
5. Kingston - Lawson Crouse (Elgin
6. Niagara - Brett Mckenzie (Oakville)
7. Sudbury - Blake speers (Soo Thunder)
8. Saginaw - Matt Spencer (Oakville)
9. Sarnia - Mitch Stephens (Marlboro's)
10. North bay - Hayden McCool (Whitby)
11. SOO - kyle capobianco (Oakville)
12. Guelph - Troy Henley (Oakville)
13. Kitchener - Mitch Vande Sompel (London Gold
14. Oshawa - Garrett Mcfadden (Grey Bruce)
15. Barrie Davies (southern Tier)
16. Plymouth - Matt Kries (Halton)
17. Owensound - Cameron Lizzotte (Nickel City)
18. Belleville - Ethan Szypula (London)
19. London - Tyler Macarthur (Barrie)
Criminal if these happen (especially the first two). Matt Spencer is going to be a stud going forward. If he falls below 4th, I think it's a mistake. Hell, I think in a few years time, we may question why he wasn't 2nd overall.

dean youngblood82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:18 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Criminal if these happen (especially the first two). Matt Spencer is going to be a stud going forward. If he falls below 4th, I think it's a mistake. Hell, I think in a few years time, we may question why he wasn't 2nd overall.
I really like the pick at #3

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:24 AM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Part of him being drafted that late has nothing to do with his skill. More so him not willing to report to certain teams although he may go before 8 to one team.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:28 AM
willy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
I really like the pick at #3
Spencer will go to Miss at #4.....Day, Strome & Konecny will go 1, 2 & 3.

willy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
I was talking about Spencer, but I was being sarcastic. There is no way he slips all the way down to 8th.

Kingpin794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:50 AM
Gensfan9

Quote:
Agreed! This is not necessarily my player ranking, it's more the way I see the chips falling but who knows right? Everyone has spencer to missy but they are thin at forwards going forward. Kind of the same situation erie is in. Kids like Wilkie, Schlichting, Walters etc may be free in the 2nd round to go with their first round pick. If missy-erie go with a D, they may not find a forward that can play for them next year. There are plenty of D and very thin with top end forwards. I think we see a run on forwards early. Adam Craivech is one kid that may find his way into the first round or early 2nd, maybe to the petes.

Gensfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 11:53 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
Spencer will go to Miss at #4.....Day, Strome & Konecny will go 1, 2 & 3.
Says who? Who's your source?

Old
04-02-2013, 12:18 PM
ImaBullsfan

Trade freeze is lifted today:
Barrie trades 2 3rd rounders in sat's draft to Niagara for 5th rounder this year and 3 furure picks
also Windsor acquires Sudbury's 3rd rounder for Londons 2nd in 14, a future 5th

Last edited by ImaBullsfan: 04-02-2013 at 12:42 PM.
ImaBullsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 12:57 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post
Thanks for that, he sounds very intriguing.

I just Googled him and I guess he is from the Ottawa area. Not saying it can't happen, but I honestly can't remember the last high draft pick that Owen Sound used on an Ottawa-area player. For whatever reason (reporting issues?) it just seems that Eastern Ontario is not a region that Owen Sound management focuses on for finding players.
I hear ya. First Round may be too early for that player, depending on who is calling the shots. But the second round seems like a lock for sure. Riley Bruce and Tristan Liggett are two of the more interesting players for this draft for myself. Massive kids who can skate. Liggett's feet jumped out at me loudly during the OHL cup, also he is one of the few that his listed height is shorter than wat he is. It will be robbery to see either of them slip to the third, the potential the 2 of them have is very interesting.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2013, 01:12 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I hear ya. First Round may be too early for that player, depending on who is calling the shots. But the second round seems like a lock for sure. Riley Bruce and Tristan Liggett are two of the more interesting players for this draft for myself. Massive kids who can skate. Liggett's feet jumped out at me loudly during the OHL cup, also he is one of the few that his listed height is shorter than wat he is. It will be robbery to see either of them slip to the third, the potential the 2 of them have is very interesting.
I would love for the Petes to draft him to be the 6th/7th defenceman next season.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:16 PM
mapleleaf979

Windsor picks #43 and #47. They made a move to get an Extra 3rd rounder. What do they do here? Do u think they take Kirwan, who should end up in the OHL post USNTDP committment as he will still have 1 year before the NHL Draft. If he doesnt make the jump to the NHL right away, he could be a Spitfire for 2 years. He would be a Top 5 pick in this draft, maybe Top 3. Does Windsor see more value in Kirwan for 2 years? Or the best player available in the 3rd. I think they take Kirwan if he is there, with #43 or #47 and may take best player available with the other. With the way Windsor's season went, this draft may do very little to improve there bottom 4 season, for next year. They may have a surprise or two. I think they have to gamble of some kind. Select Kirwan and try and move mountains to get him to play next year, similar to Bobby Ryan who backed off his USNTDP committment to go to Sarnia. At the very worst u see him in 2 years after his USNTDP committment. Maybe that extra 3rd is a safety pick becuase they will RISK something with the other and see if it pays off.

Old
04-02-2013, 01:42 PM
BigBuck

Mapleleaf979 what is the upside on Josh Coyle? Do you think he could be around when Kingston makes their 2nd pick at #33? I've seen Kingston being linked to Lawson Crouse do you think they could try and get both of these guys? or who would be a good fit at #33?

Old
04-02-2013, 02:15 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Mapleleaf979 what is the upside on Josh Coyle? Do you think he could be around when Kingston makes their 2nd pick at #33? I've seen Kingston being linked to Lawson Crouse do you think they could try and get both of these guys? or who would be a good fit at #33?
Is it #33 or #34? I thought it was #34.

Josh Coyle. He has alot of qualities. About 6-2, excellent skater with good speed, physical side/good forechecking, has skill. Needs to become a little more offensively polished. I dont think he will be there at #33. I think he can make the OHL next year no question about it. Id lean more toward getting some players with a "side order of crazy" in that spot.

Id look at Noah Bushnell at #33 for Kingston. He will be able to play a role that most 16 yr olds can not play in this draft. He is tough, will fight 20 yr olds, protect the talent on that team. Lemieux ran MCkeown. Bennett and Mckeown, u dont want to see fight, went after Lemeiux. They need someone to patrol and protect those guys. Bushnell has some skill too.

Id also look at a potential Shut Down defenseman to help Kingston out. Mckeown and Diperna are not the most physically imposing players in the OHL. Id look for a big body, shut down defenseman, who has a real physical side to them. Guys Id consider if there were there, Austin Clapham, Conner Walters. Both are physical, bangers. If they are gone take the next guy on the list with those qualities. Kingston needs to get tougher.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:34 PM
BigBuck

Thanks, I guess it is the #34th pick and I like the "side order of Crazy"

Old
04-02-2013, 02:43 PM
defensehockey19

When does everyone expect Ottawa to announce there pick? It's usually a few days before the draft isn't it?

Old
04-02-2013, 02:45 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Thanks, I guess it is the #34th pick and I like the "side order of Crazy"
Anytime. There is always some leeway. Team needs and outlook of players from team to team vary. Its possible too see Coyle go earlier than #33 or later. In my eyes, he is a second rounder. This draft is going to have a few "what the _ _ _ _" moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
When does everyone expect Ottawa to announce there pick? It's usually a few days before the draft isn't it?
Apparently the player should be in Ottawa by Thursday.

Old
04-02-2013, 02:49 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post

Apparently the player should be in Ottawa by Thursday.

Will Erie then follow suit or will that decision not be made till Saturday?