Notices

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 3

Old
03-22-2013, 01:48 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
An Assistant GM I wont name near the top of the draft, said Day had duel citizenship. I personally heard this in an interview. Not sure if the poster had heard it from this podcast I also listened too. It was puzzling, had me doubting things as well. Its definately confirmed Sean Day and his family have only ONE passport for anyone in doubt. Canadian only.
I thought he may have had dual citizenship after first hearing of him because he played in the US, but after Darren Dreger made him known to everyone with that TSN piece, Day came out on Twitter and made it pretty clear by saying he was "100% Canadian" and that he literally had "no American relatives" and that there's no point in becoming "the first American in the family".
That was back in December, so I don't know how some didn't pick up on it.

It's pretty sad if what you say is indeed true and there are important people that are that uninformed, especially when considering the fact that I can out research them and I'm a 21 year old with no connections to anyone important.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:48 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
or because "three Exceptional Players in three years cheapens it" (love that one).
Agreed. This is the one that gets me. The people saying that, have not seen him play or clearly can not grasp the kids abilities.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:49 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
An Assistant GM I wont name near the top of the draft, said Day had duel citizenship. I personally heard this in an interview. Not sure if the poster had heard it from this podcast I also listened too. It was puzzling, had me doubting things as well. Its definately confirmed Sean Day and his family have only ONE passport for anyone in doubt. Canadian only.
During SilverSticks, Day's representatives where very vocal about his citizenship. I thought he was American until that weekend myself. Since then, there has not been much talk about it in the rinks, everyone knew his status. If anyone took time to do a bit of research, or to ask his coach (US scout for the US program) it would be been known fairly easily.

If someone doesn't truly know something about a 15 year old, if there is any concern that you could be incorrect, you don't post it. To suggest that it played into the status, that's just unfair.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 03-22-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 01:53 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
I thought he may have had dual citizenship after first hearing of him because he played in the US, but after Darren Dreger made him known to everyone with that TSN piece, Day came out on Twitter and made it pretty clear by saying he was "100% Canadian" and that he literally had "no American relatives" and that there's no point in becoming "the first American in the family".

It's pretty sad if what you say is indeed true and there are important people that are that uninformed, especially when considering the fact that I can out research them and I'm a 21 year old with no connections to anyone important.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:09 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

It's pretty sad if what you say is indeed true and there are important people that are that uninformed.
I actually feel somewhat guilty about expressing my own personal opinion regarding Day on this thread, not playing for Team Canada if denied ES. However, I do not write for magazines or publish my thoughts. It appears poster(s) here on HF boards, who write magazine articles, talk out of both sides of there mouth. Saying one thing here and condemning others for those opinions when it comes to print.

I came from the aspect of him feeling to go in another direction after probably being disappointed or pissed off at the media coverage and numerous articles written about him. I was clearly wrong and ignorant for thinking this and sharing that opinion. I should not have shared that opinion to anyone here. I apologize to Sean Day and his family if they read this thread. I could get a real sense of Canadian pride/passion from them and could not be more thrilled to watch him play in the OHL and Team Canada.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
It appears poster(s) here on HF boards, who write magazine articles, talk out of both sides of there mouth. Saying one thing here and condemning others for those opinions when it comes to print.
Certainly seems like it doesn't it. At least you publicly apologized for whatever comments you made. Those who post on here making incorrect comments and now don't come back and make the same apology, not sure it does them or their profile much good.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:36 PM
OHLEYE

mapleleaf, I'm interested in hearing why you have Strome to Erie. Also, Clapham to Peterborough.

Thanks.

OHLEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:37 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
During SilverSticks, Day's representatives where very vocal about his citizenship. I thought he was American until that weekend myself. Since then, there has not been much talk about it in the rinks, everyone knew his status. If anyone took time to do a bit of research, or to ask his coach (US scout for the US program) it would be been known fairly easily.

If someone doesn't truly know something about a 15 year old, if there is any concern that you could be incorrect, you don't post it. To suggest that it played into the status, that's just unfair.
Yes, Day being a Canadian citizen was well noted during Silver Sticks. The curveball to that was the Assistent GM, mentioning duel citizenship during the OHL cup. He may have said that by mistake, not sure, its a pretty busy time of year, lots going on. Im sure it was just a simple oversight.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:48 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLEYE View Post
mapleleaf, I'm interested in hearing why you have Strome to Erie. Also, Clapham to Peterborough.

Thanks.
Strome to Erie? Because he is a top player in this draft, not much more I can say.

Clapham to the Petes? He is a Top 30 guy in my opinion, he is a good fit there I think. He should be a physical/solid defensman for an OHL team next year.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:56 PM
OHLEYE

Lots more you can say. Why Strome over Konecny? Is it something you've heard; feel he's the better player; or think it's a better fit.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:23 PM
jfb392

For anyone believing the rumours that Erie and Ottawa apparently have no interest in Day, this article sure makes it sound like they do:
Quote:
“I didn’t think about [McDavid on the ice with Day this season],” Bassin said over the phone Thursday from Owen Sound, where he was attending Game 1 of a OHL Western Conference playoff between the hometown Attack and Sault Ste. Marie. “I didn’t want to wake up from the dream of Connor McDavid. He’s such a special player and special person.

“Now, you’re seeing the possibility [of McDavid and Day as teammates] and thinking about it more.”

Once the 73-year-old Bassin returns to Pennsylvania from this weekend’s OHL draft combine in Toronto, he plans to set up an interview with Day through his representative, former NHL defenceman Jason Woolley of The Players Group, Inc.
Quote:
Bassin has seen Day play “six or seven” times this season, most recently at the Michigan State minor midget championship tournament, where the youngster displayed an effortless skating stride that Bassin and retired 67s coach Brian Kilrea said reminds them of former Edmonton Oilers great Paul Coffey.

“You can’t say strides,” said Bassin, laughing, “because he doesn’t take many to get down the ice. He has a big, strong stride, good balance. His skating is effortless. He looks like he’s not even working.”
Quote:
Like Bassin, Kilrea watched Day at the Michigan State tournament and reported much growth in the rearguard’s game over the past four months as teams have played him more physical.

“He’s realized [opposing players] are checking him a little bit closer now and they’re keying on him,” said Kilrea, who continues to scout part-time for the 67s, even after having triple bypass surgery last August. “He had to use his head more as well as his talent [to get in better position] which is good. He’s adjusting to what’s going to happen [next season in the OHL].

The man known as “Killer,” who guided the 67s to five Memorial Cup appearances and won two, said there is no glaring weakness in Day’s game but did say he would be stepping into the toughest position in the OHL.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ry-bassin.html

And the 67's staff ditched their last game of the season to see Day play:
Quote:
Far more important is that the club’s future is now and the loss now means one of Sean Day, the one some scouts call the best 14-year-old they have ever seen, or Travis Konecny, the one the OHL’s Central Scouting Bureau has tabbed as No. 1, or the ‘next one’ in the Strome family, Dylan, will become a 67.

Byrne wasn’t even behind the bench as he and most of his scouting staff, including senior consultant Brian Kilrea, spent Monday in Detroit watching Day skate in the Michigan State championships.

By Tuesday night, the 67’s entourage was in Toronto to see Konecny and Strome, two can’t-miss minor midget forwards, Konecny with the Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs, Strome with the Toronto Marlboros and also the younger brother of the all-too-familiar Niagara IceDog Ryan Strome, the 5th overall pick in the 2011 NHL draft by the NY Islanders.

Day is still awaiting special status to enter the draft a year early, as a major bantam playing minor midget with Detroit Compuware. But that is a virtual given.

And now that it’s official the 67’s are selecting No. 1, Byrne can go about setting up visits and interviews with all the top players and their families.
http://www.ottawa67s.com/article/67-...ct-1st-overall

And yet, Ken Campbell from THN and Neate Sager of Yahoo (social crusader who has a new trendy cause he is passionate about every week, wrote this article before Day was granted ES, then started *****ing about how three in three cheapens it after it was granted and constantly talks about how he's not worthy despite admitting he's never seen him) continue to push that agenda:
Quote:
But just how exceptional is Day? There was some speculation he might not receive exceptional status because there is a chance that neither the Ottawa 67’s nor the Erie Otters, who own the first two picks in the OHL draft April 6, intend to choose Day.
Additionally, they choose to get one scout's opinion of him and to no surprise, it's a derogatory one:
Quote:
And one scout who has seen the other three exceptional players in their junior draft years said Day is not at their level.

“From what I saw, he was nowhere near a player who dominated at his level of competition,” the scout said. “Not even close.”
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/sean...0982--nhl.html

Last edited by jfb392: 03-22-2013 at 03:28 PM.
jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:24 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Lots more you can say. Why Strome over Konecny? Is it something you've heard; feel he's the better player; or think it's a better fit.
Why Strome over Konecny?

Firstly, Its very close in my opinion. Very different players. Ill say that I think Konecny is a little better right now, I think Strome has closed that gap in the last year and is closing in very fast. If u compare 20 different things between the 2, every category its close, except for one. The biggest advantage I think one has over the other is Konecny's feet right now. But something has to be said for the way Strome elevates his line-mates. Elgin has more talent especially up front than the Marlboros. He has less to work with, yet makes it appear he has more. His size and can easily add 25-30 pounds over the next 2-3 years. Puck protection skills. Aside from improving the first 3 strides, which Tavares and others have shown can be done, he is pretty complete. During the GTHL playoff, I wont lie, I flashbacked to Mcdavid. His vision was ripping the JRC team apart, they had no idea what Strome was seeing. He is a special playmaker with an accurate wrist shot.

With that being said. If Konecny is selected by Ottawa, how can Erie possibly pass on an offensive defenseman who can skate the puck out of there zone? Id say that was the biggest team need for Erie, who give up 50 shots on many nights. I cant see 2 teams passing on Day, but its safe to say Ottawa likes Konecny and Erie likes Strome, but anything can happen with Day in the mix now. I just cant see anyone passing on Sean Day.

Old
03-22-2013, 03:29 PM
checkmate3

Quote:
Nope, your right, he is not among my top 10 players for the draft, I put a lot of stock in the OHL Central list this year, they seem to have a good read on the players.

I know Troy well, I saw him partner with Kevin Kerr last year on Team Comcast in Philadelphia where he played a more run and gun style. I respect that he moved to Oakville, it was a good move for him as he has changed his game for the positive. I just personally believe there are better players.

The only reason I asked are there players you like better is because I think 80 percent of your posts are regarding one single player, would like to hear your thoughts on others.
Contrary to your comment regarding YOUR opinion coinciding with OHL Centrals Draft List, your opinion is quite different than Central Scoutings for a fact. I too, favor Henley as you've seen in previous posts I'm sure and can tell you, you may be misinformed regarding top 10 players as the names are being discussed as we speak. I would not bet my entire stock on your opinion of the players vs OHL Centrals list. And remember OHL Centrals list is the only list that matters not a mock list that you created and swear by. Finally, Henley, for the record..has not changed his game at all. He was never a run and gun style dman (if you're relying source is the youtube video of him rushing the puck), he has been a 2way dman from day one and was actually a defensive dman long ago hence he originally started out as a goalie! Yes, he partnered with Kerr last year on Team Comcast as he has been partners with him for the past 3 years with him on Team Comcast which is in New Jersey not Philadelphia. Would be curious to know where you claim to have seen him last year and how many times to suggest he played a run and gun style of play which was Kerrs expertise not Henleys. Care to share?

checkmate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:34 PM
defensehockey19

Ottawa - Day
Erie - Konency
Petes - Strome
Missy - Spencer

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:44 PM
ImaBullsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Ottawa - Day
Erie - Konency
Petes - Strome
Missy - Spencer
Looks GOOD to me

ImaBullsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:57 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate3 View Post
Contrary to your comment regarding YOUR opinion coinciding with OHL Centrals Draft List, your opinion is quite different than Central Scoutings for a fact. I too, favor Henley as you've seen in previous posts I'm sure and can tell you, you may be misinformed regarding top 10 players as the names are being discussed as we speak. I would not bet my entire stock on your opinion of the players vs OHL Centrals list. And remember OHL Centrals list is the only list that matters not a mock list that you created and swear by. Finally, Henley, for the record..has not changed his game at all. He was never a run and gun style dman (if you're relying source is the youtube video of him rushing the puck), he has been a 2way dman from day one and was actually a defensive dman long ago hence he originally started out as a goalie! Yes, he partnered with Kerr last year on Team Comcast as he has been partners with him for the past 3 years with him on Team Comcast which is in New Jersey not Philadelphia. Would be curious to know where you claim to have seen him last year and how many times to suggest he played a run and gun style of play which was Kerrs expertise not Henleys. Care to share?
Ill answer your comments as soon as you answer mine about Koroselev and his 5 nation cup status

Kidding aside, I saw him play significant minutes last year with Kerr, because we where looking at US based players last year. Saw that Comcast Team play upwards fo 9-10 times over 3 months. Henley was there as well, and he caught my eye due to his skill.

With respect, when one poser has over 60 percent of his/her posts about one player, they may not have the most balanced opinion of the player.

Troy is a talent, he probably would be a defender on the U17 team, however at this point, OHL Central does not have him in their top 10, close, but not quite there. Is that a negative, not at all. He could be a 6-7 overall pick. Just because I don't agree with that doesn't make me right, or wrong for that matter.

EDIT: Have to ask, where did you see Henley last year? You followed him up here as well? Most fans only follow draft eligible players, not the Bantams.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 03-22-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 04:01 PM
JLowery

Quote:
Nope, your right, he is not among my top 10 players for the draft, I put a lot of stock in the OHL Central list this year, they seem to have a good read on the players.

I know Troy well, I saw him partner with Kevin Kerr last year on Team Comcast in Philadelphia where he played a more run and gun style. I respect that he moved to Oakville, it was a good move for him as he has changed his game for the positive. I just personally believe there are better players.

The only reason I asked are there players you like better is because I think 80 percent of your posts are regarding one single player, would like to hear your thoughts on others.
Tigers, must say I am thrilled to know that you've monitored all 18 of my posts vs your 3200. There must be alot of points that you are trying to get across and are not being heard. Your opinion is valued by some but not all and respect your opinion of Troy Henley as well. Do I believe there are better players as far as Defence goes? No! I like certain attributes of other D players but for me Henley has the total package. Continue on with your opinion as I will continue with mine of specific players. Henley is a top 10 draft pick as you might just soon find that out.

JLowery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:03 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
Looks GOOD to me
Seems fair for everybody!

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLowery View Post
Tigers, must say I am thrilled to know that you've monitored all 18 of my posts vs your 3200. There must be alot of points that you are trying to get across and are not being heard. Your opinion is valued by some but not all and respect your opinion of Troy Henley as well. Do I believe there are better players as far as Defence goes? No! I like certain attributes of other D players but for me Henley has the total package. Continue on with your opinion as I will continue with mine of specific players. Henley is a top 10 draft pick as you might just soon find that out.
Na, when you have been doing this for 8 years (not 5, bad math), you tend to have alot of posts . Started out as a coach of an SCTA team, moved onto scouting with an OHL team, and now work full time in the hockey industry.

Seen alot of players, seen alot of drafts and see the trends of successful players.

I hope that Troy is a top 10 pick, he seems like a great kid. I just don't view him as that. Can I be wrong, sure, it happens often.

Looking forward to you sharing your input on other Oakville defenders next year...

Last edited by Tigers1992: 03-22-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 04:24 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Ottawa - Day
Erie - Konency
Petes - Strome
Missy - Spencer
Who does Kingston get with the 5th pick?

BigBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:33 PM
OHLEYE

Likely Crouse or Mckenzie. They need size. Kingston should be looking at taking a goalie at some point.

I think Henley is a top 10 pick. Good size, physical and solid in his own end. Reminds me of Adam Foote, and he's the type of kid that will help a team in the playoffs down the road. My guess is that Henley does not end up going in the top 10 though.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:34 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
Mackenzie or Crouse possibly.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:37 PM
RyanHPscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
Lawson Crouse I feel is a perfect fit for Kingston at this pick if that is how the first four picks play out. I would really like to see them land him. Big body who can skate and has a lot of talent. Put him with Bennett and Watson and he's going to make these guys better and create some space for them, and they're going make him better as well. It would make for a very fun line to watch.

There are a few really good options for Kingston, I just personally feel this would be the most intriguing pick.

RyanHPscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:44 PM
OHLEYE

Yep. Kingston needs to add some size and toughness badly. Next to a goalie, it's their most pressing need. Kujawinski and Sam Povorozniouk provide a bit of strong play against the boards and in battles, but the Fronts would be wise to trade for a physical veteran to help out the kids. Mathers and Czinder created room for their teammates and gave them confidence.

Among the top 10 in the draft, only Kingston need not be looking at drafting a defenceman in the first round. They will have one of the better group of defenceman in the Eastern Conference next season. Even more so if they bring in a veteran goalie.

The only thing preventing these teams from drafting a defenceman, and from Henley going top 10, is that there should still be good defenceman available in the 2nd round. Might want to get your forwards fast.

Old
03-22-2013, 04:52 PM
Daneurism

Quote:
Yep. Kingston needs to add some size and toughness badly. Next to a goalie, it's their most pressing need. Kujawinski and Sam Povorozniouk provide a bit of strong play against the boards and in battles, but the Fronts would be wise to trade for a physical veteran to help out the kids. Mathers and Czinder created room for their teammates and gave them confidence.

Among the top 10 in the draft, only Kingston need not be looking at drafting a defenceman in the first round. They will have one of the better group of defenceman in the Eastern Conference next season. Even more so if they bring in a veteran goalie.

The only thing preventing these teams from drafting a defenceman, and from Henley going top 10, is that there should still be good defenceman available in the 2nd round. Might want to get your forwards fast.
Agreed. Seems like there's a noticeable drop off of impact forwards after Konecny, Strome, Crouse, Mackenzie, Korostolev, Stephens.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote