Notices

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 3

Old
03-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Tigers1992

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLEYE View Post
The only thing preventing these teams from drafting a defenceman, and from Henley going top 10, is that there should still be good defenceman available in the 2nd round. Might want to get your forwards fast.
Could see only two defenceman taken in the top 10. It's going to be forward heavy.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:53 PM
checkmate3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Ill answer your comments as soon as you answer mine about Koroselev and his 5 nation cup status

Kidding aside, I saw him play significant minutes last year with Kerr, because we where looking at US based players last year. Saw that Comcast Team play upwards fo 9-10 times over 3 months. Henley was there as well, and he caught my eye due to his skill.

With respect, when one poser has over 60 percent of his/her posts about one player, they may not have the most balanced opinion of the player.

Troy is a talent, he probably would be a defender on the U17 team, however at this point, OHL Central does not have him in their top 10, close, but not quite there. Is that a negative, not at all. He could be a 6-7 overall pick. Just because I don't agree with that doesn't make me right, or wrong for that matter.

EDIT: Have to ask, where did you see Henley last year? You followed him up here as well? Most fans only follow draft eligible players, not the Bantams.
I'm an editor for a local paper in the States and have followed him before he started playing hockey. My reason? Henley was a National Board Breaking Champion at the age of 7, was the first real story done on him at such a young age and I have followed him since. Have no interest in Canada, only the kid. However, I was in attendance of the OMHA event and met with him again. Simple! Let me know if you have any questions about him.

checkmate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:06 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Agreed. Seems like there's a noticeable drop off of impact forwards after Konecny, Strome, Crouse, Mackenzie, Korostolev, Stephens.
In the first round I think there is separation into 4 tiers.

First Tier: Konecny and Strome

Second tier: Mackenzie and Crouse

Third tier: Speers, Stephens, Korostelev, Szypula

Fourth tier: Davies, McCool, Kreis, Craievich(If he gets into the 1st)

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Daneurism

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post

Interesting. I don't know much about Szypula...Can you tell me a bit more about his play?

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:28 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:

Wow that's interesting. I think most people would take McCool and Kreis ahead of Szypula

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 07:03 PM
mapleleaf979

Most people view Henley is a top 5 defensemen in the OHL draft. I think Henley is #3 behind Day and Spencer. Many others would put Kyle Capobianco at #3. Whether Henley goes # 7 or #12, who cares. Team needs, team views will decide the pecking order. Henley for me translates to a stay at home defenseman first and foremost, but he possesses some offensive skill. If a team strictly wants a puck mover, I understand why they would lean to a Capo. I am one of those people who do think Henley has calmed his game down this year, compared to last year and played smarter.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:12 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Most people view Henley is a top 5 defensemen in the OHL draft. I think Henley is #3 behind Day and Spencer. Many others would put Kyle Capobianco at #3. Whether Henley goes # 7 or #12, who cares. Team needs, team views will decide the pecking order. Henley for me translates to a stay at home defenseman first and foremost, but he possesses some offensive skill. If a team strictly wants a puck mover, I understand why they would lean to a Capo. I am one of those people who do think Henley has calmed his game down this year, compared to last year and played smarter.
I think everybody can agree that whoever takes Henley will be happy with their decision 2-3 years down the road from now.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:14 PM
checkmate3

[QUOTE=mapleleaf979;62195461]Most people view Henley is a top 5 defensemen in the OHL draft. I think Henley is #3 behind Day and Spencer. Many others would put Kyle Capobianco at #3. Whether Henley goes # 7 or #12, who cares. Team needs, team views will decide the pecking order. Henley for me translates to a stay at home defenseman first and foremost, but he possesses some offensive skill. If a team strictly wants a puck mover, I understand why they would lean to a Capo. I am one of those people who do think Henley has calmed his game down this year, compared to last year and played smarter.[/QUOTE
Thank you MapleLeaf for your opinion and view of this kid. It's an unbiased view and is valued, that's what the people want to read. Not someone claiming he has a connection stating a player won't be a top 10 pick. No one can stake that claim until April 6th..that (Immabullsfan) was the point. Again, thank you for your valued opinion MapleLeaf!

Old
03-22-2013, 07:15 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Wow that's interesting. I think most people would take McCool and Kreis ahead of Szypula
U may be right. Draft, schmaft. They are in that similar territory. For example if it was Kingston and the 3 players on the board were McCool, Kries, Szypula, I could see them grabbing the big Whitby boy. One over the other is not completely insane.

Old
03-22-2013, 07:20 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate3 View Post
Thank you MapleLeaf for your opinion and view of this kid. It's an unbiased view and is valued, that's what the people want to read. Not someone claiming he has a connection stating a player won't be a top 10 pick. No one can stake that claim until April 6th..that (Immabullsfan) was the point. Again, thank you for your valued opinion MapleLeaf!
I think Tigers view is unbiased. His opinion is just a little different than myself or yourself on Troy Henley. That is what makes hockey, this thread interesting. Some people see him outside of the Top 10, Tigers is not alone, its there opinion, its fair to have different views. It doesnt mean anything deeper or personal against the player. Everyone likes Henley. We could label people having a bias everytime there was a different opinion. We all agree he is a great prospect.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 03-22-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old
03-22-2013, 07:56 PM
checkmate3

Quote:
I think Tigers view is unbiased. His opinion is just a little different than myself or yourself on Troy Henley. That is what makes hockey, this thread interesting. Some people see him outside of the Top 10, Tigers is not alone, its there opinion, its fair to have different views. It doesnt mean anything deeper or personal against the player. Everyone likes Henley. We could label people having a bias everytime there was a different opinion. We all agree he is a great prospect.
No, Tigers view was an unfounded claim that he says is based off of OHL Centrals list that Henley is not in the Top 10. That is an unfounded claim and premature for that matter. To exploit that as a so called 'opinion or view' is unfair to the kid and any of the kids supporters. If on draft day it comes to friution that he's 11th or 19th, so be it, as for now he can't make a statement saying a player's not on OHL Centrals list as being in the Top 10 so he "puts alot of stock in that list". Changes are happening everyday, that was indeed a biased opinion with an intent aimed at us viewers to trust his word, he has the OHL Centrals list at hand and this is what it says. Not very smart and am sure the family would not appreciate it. Make the opinion your opinion, leave OHL Central Scouting out of it and any claims that you are a major ruler of who makes the Top 10 on it! Simple!

Old
03-22-2013, 08:12 PM
mapleleaf979

Lets move on, lets talk about OHL prospects in this thread. Tigers opinion is valued here and was in years past. Debate is healthy, interesting here. No need to take it to a personal level. Gm's are not reading this thread today and putting him in the Top 3, things will happen on there own. There is nothing wrong with being loyal to a player checkmate3, Uve gone down this road already with me, attacked me regarding Greenway vs Henley. Lets move on.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:19 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Lets move on, lets talk about OHL prospects in this thread. Tigers opinion is valued here and was in years past. Debate is healthy, interesting here. No need to take it to a personal level. Gm's are not reading this thread today and putting him in the Top 3, things will happen on there own. There is nothing wrong with being loyal to a player checkmate3, Uve gone down this road already with me, attacked me regarding Greenway vs Henley. Lets move on.
Agreed. Any kids from Peterborough have a chance of being drafted?

Old
03-22-2013, 08:21 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
I agree.
Do you see Crouse or Mckenzie as power forward type guys? Guys that could be a physical presence for Kingston in the future as they could use a little size.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:22 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Agreed. Any kids from Peterborough have a chance of being drafted?
lol. What do u mean? Name a few.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:25 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
I agree.
Do you see Crouse or Mckenzie as power forward type guys? Guys that could be a physical presence for Kingston in the future as they could use a little size.
Crouse potentially but for me his physical game comes in spurts. He will gain weight and use it more I believe. Crouse to me might have more long term upside, potential. Those 2 guys are so close in my opinion. Mackenzie is a harder worker, a 2 way guy always with a thought of playing D or back checking. Crouse to me plain and simply for a big guy, has by far the best feet in the draft. One of the hardest shots. He starts and stops like a smaller guy. I put Mackenzie at 5 but when u really look at team needs, Crouse probably makes more sense going to the Kingston Frontenacs. If Kingston keeps Bennett at center than Crouse. If they have thoughts of moving Sam Bennett back to left wing, Mackenzie.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:27 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
lol. What do u mean? Name a few.
I'm asking.. Is there anybody on the Peterborough Minor Petes that have a chance at being a late round pick?

Old
03-22-2013, 08:38 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I'm asking.. Is there anybody on the Peterborough Minor Petes that have a chance at being a late round pick?
Yes. Tiger Brennan, Jayd Killingbeck, Logan DeNoble, Liam Hunter and Jordon White. DeNoble has done really well playing with the midget major Petes as an AP, over a point per game.

Old
03-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Ok somone answer this hypothetical for me: Saginaw is sitting at 8 and Henley, Capiobianco and a quality forward are avalible. Would Saginaw be better off in the long run (2 to 3 years latter) to take either Henly or Capo and get the forwards later, or would it be better to take the forward first and go for the D in the second round? Or does it not make a differnce either way?

Kingpin794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 08:57 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Yes. Tiger Brennan, Jayd Killingbeck, Logan DeNoble, Liam Hunter and Jordon White. DeNoble has done really well playing with the midget major Petes as an AP, over a point per game.
What rounds do u expect these kids to go? Just a guess

Old
03-22-2013, 09:28 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
What rounds do u expect these kids to go? Just a guess
mid or late rounds.

Old
03-22-2013, 09:52 PM
no Gino

Congrats to the three Thunder Bay Kings selected for the OHL combine

no Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
I'm not saying Day isn't going to be good. But there has been alot of talk about Day not going 1st. Which I think would open the door for more people to get exceptional status because they wouldn't have to be number 1 overall good. Day is number 1 good. But if he isn't taken with the first pick it could set a new precedent.
That's not going to happen. You never mentioned if you've seen him play. I suspect if you did these questions wouldn't be raised.

You're seeming to think that any top notch Bantam is going to considered and apply. It's truly only the exceptional, thus why you've only seen 1 the past 3 years. It may seem like it's becoming routine, but that's one out of how many Bantam aged AAA players? You get the point. Exceptional status might become the norm with the way kids are getting specialized training in all aspects, but you're not going to see 5 kids up for it every year. Perhaps one that is "exceptional".

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 08:39 AM
defensehockey19

1. Ottawa - Day
2. Erie - Konency
3. Petes - Strome
4. Missy - Spencer
5. Kingston - Crouse
6. Niagara - Mackenzie
7. Sudbury - Stephens
8. Saginaw - Henley
9. Sarnia - Korostelev
10. NorthBay - Lizotte
11. SSM - Speers
12. Guelph - Capiobianco
13. Oshawa - McCool
14. Kitchener - Werenski
15. Barrie - MacArthur
16. Plymouth - Kreis
17. OwenSound - McFadden
18. Belleville - Szypula
19. London - Vonde Sompel

20. Ottawa - Boka
21. Erie - Myllari
22. SSM - Knott
23. Saginaw - Clapham
24. London - Schlichting
25. Petes - Craievich

Old
03-23-2013, 09:29 AM
stickem

You stated that you saw MVS from LJK play for the london jr b team and it was the first time he has ever played forward. Have you never seen him play before this game?. The fact is he has played forward and defence for the last six years. Makes me wonder about alot of your comments on player and picks

stickem is offline   Reply With Quote