HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Drew Doughty's horrible play on the road.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:57 PM
MarkusNaslund19

vCash: 500
Drew Doughty's horrible play on the road.

Looking at the +/- split for home and road in the NHL and nowhere is there a larger discrepancy than Drew Doughty. Home +/- +13, Away = -12.

What this tells me is that at home where Sutter can control the match-ups Doughty is getting soft minutes. On the road, he's being exploited by the top lines of other teams.

This confuses me however, as I've seen Doughty do some amazing work against top lines in the past.

I've only seen 3 or 4 Kings games this year so I don't have a lot of empirical evidence. Any Kings fans want to clue me in on what's happening with Doughty?

MarkusNaslund19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Shellz

On whether he’s been happy with Drew Doughty’s play:
Sutter -
Quote:
Drew’s been awesome. I can pick three or four mistakes out all year. Literally. The only thing I try and do is keep pressure off him because he hasn’t scored.
This link will help you.. http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/03/19...er/#more-29967

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

How does Doughty get soft minutes when he's top 5 in minutes played by all NHL skaters?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Kopiterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusNaslund19 View Post
Looking at the +/- split for home and road in the NHL and nowhere is there a larger discrepancy than Drew Doughty. Home +/- +13, Away = -12.

What this tells me is that at home where Sutter can control the match-ups Doughty is getting soft minutes. On the road, he's being exploited by the top lines of other teams.

This confuses me however, as I've seen Doughty do some amazing work against top lines in the past.

I've only seen 3 or 4 Kings games this year so I don't have a lot of empirical evidence. Any Kings fans want to clue me in on what's happening with Doughty?
What this ought to tell you is that +/- is a terrible statistic.

Kopiterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:07 PM
tsanuri

Biggest clue watch some games don't try looking at stats and assuming how he is or isn't playing.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Smokey McCanucks

Doughty is not so good as y'all thought, Mitchell did the work and Doughty got the accolades.

Smokey McCanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Drew hasn't been sheltered this year, he has been given assignments that Mitchell or Greene usually draw.

He is also playing a ton of minutes.

Kings as a whole have been better at home this year too.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:12 PM
MastuhNinks

At home LA is 5th in goals for, 6th in goals against.

On the road LA is 16th in goals for, 17th in goals against.

Doesn't seem like Doughty is the only guy who should be getting the blame. +/- is a useless statistic without context.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:12 PM
GuineaPig

"If you look at Small Sample Size, you too can draw sweeping, meaningless conclusions about your favourite or least favourite NHLer as easily as they do on TV! All for four easy looks at a player's 'splits' page!"

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Richie10

The Kings as a whole have been way, way better at home than on the road.

The last thing Doughty can be accused of this season is getting sheltered minutes. He's playing in every situation and drawing assignments, especially on the PK< usually reserved for veteran guys like Mitchell and Greene. Doughty getting constantly double and triple teamed is one of the major reasons Jake Muzzin is piling up the points on that pairing. The guy that makes that happen? Doughty.

Richie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Kopiterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
Doughty is not so good as y'all thought, Mitchell did the work and Doughty got the accolades.
Yup. All he does is anchor a defense that lost 2 of its best defenders at the beginning of the year and STILL allows the fewest even strength shots on goal. Must be terrible because his +/- isn't very good.

Kopiterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:23 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Doughty didn't play with Mitchell. His partner was Scuderi. Mitchell's linemate was Voynov.

Last edited by Doctor No: 03-19-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Flaming
Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Kings home record 11-2-1

Kings away record 5-8-1

hmmm I wonder if that has anything to do with individual stats?

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
The Kings have had some, what's the word...vacuous goaltending performances on the road. Some bad luck too. Hardly Doughty's fault. He is playing huge minutes and IMO doing a pretty good job.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

Quote:
Actually Doughty's partner has been Scuderi. But Scuds is playing with Mitchell while Doughty has a rotating partners of rookies or 7th defensemen.

Ironically since Voynov lost his partner Mitchell, he has played better than ever.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:24 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
The Kings as a whole have been way, way better at home than on the road.

The last thing Doughty can be accused of this season is getting sheltered minutes. He's playing in every situation and drawing assignments, especially on the PK< usually reserved for veteran guys like Mitchell and Greene. Doughty getting constantly double and triple teamed is one of the major reasons Jake Muzzin is piling up the points on that pairing. The guy that makes that happen? Doughty.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Vic Vinegar

Stopped reading when you said Doughty is getting soft minutes. Seriously man, get a clue. Doughty plays literally the toughest minutes on the team. He and Scuderi have inherited Greene's and Mitchell's responsibilities. And of the two, Doughty has looked much better. Let me repeat that. Doughty has been a much better defensive d man than Scuderi. Like, undoubtedly, indisputably better.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:04 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
At home LA is 5th in goals for, 6th in goals against.

On the road LA is 16th in goals for, 17th in goals against.

Doesn't seem like Doughty is the only guy who should be getting the blame. +/- is a useless statistic without context.
This. The Kings started the season very poorly where the vast majority of those games were on the road (11 of the first 15). During that time Kopi was dealing with an injury, Richards was nowhere near game shape, Quick was just back from back surgery, and the Kings were trying to adjust to playing without Mitchell and Greene. It will be interesting to see if their recent improved play will transfer over to the road when they head out for five games starting next Monday.

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:11 PM
Oh Snap
Very Wet Island

Send a message via AIM to Oh Snap Send a message via Yahoo to Oh Snap
Oh god the Canucks aren't on top of the Western Conference this year! Quick, make a diversion!

Oh Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:14 PM
MarkusNaslund19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
On whether he’s been happy with Drew Doughty’s play:
Sutter -

This link will help you.. http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/03/19...er/#more-29967
Fair enough, this is what I was looking for. To all of you Kings fans who are reacting as if I was insulting your mother, I noticed a statistical trend and am ASKING you for an empirical explanation. All of you telling me to stop being a stat-watcher need to give your heads a shake. I can't watch every game from every team and I like to stay abreast of what's going on for every team.

The soft match-ups thing was just a theory based on stats. A good theory without having watched. I also mentioned that he's done great against top lines in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopiterror View Post
What this ought to tell you is that +/- is a terrible statistic.
Glib, and silly. +/- is not meaningless. It just requires context. I would say that a single player on a single team having a swing of 23 in their +/- home vs away is context enough to ask some questions, wouldn't you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
Biggest clue watch some games don't try looking at stats and assuming how he is or isn't playing.
See above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
"If you look at Small Sample Size, you too can draw sweeping, meaningless conclusions about your favourite or least favourite NHLer as easily as they do on TV! All for four easy looks at a player's 'splits' page!"
Your glib attempt at being clever adds nothing to the conversation, dude. I'm glad you get to feel all high and mighty, but how about we discuss hockey instead of showing how superior we are to everybody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Kings home record 11-2-1

Kings away record 5-8-1

hmmm I wonder if that has anything to do with individual stats?
That's interesting, but can be bi-directional too. It may be that Doughty's playing terribly on the road and great at home, leading to this record discrepancy. Note: I'm not saying that's what is happening.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMak View Post
Stopped reading when you said Doughty is getting soft minutes. Seriously man, get a clue. Doughty plays literally the toughest minutes on the team. He and Scuderi have inherited Greene's and Mitchell's responsibilities. And of the two, Doughty has looked much better. Let me repeat that. Doughty has been a much better defensive d man than Scuderi. Like, undoubtedly, indisputably better.
"Stopped reading when...". Maybe that tendency explains why you fail to consider context or how I asked the questions and just jump down my throat. Slow clap.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:16 PM
MarkusNaslund19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Snap View Post
Oh god the Canucks aren't on top of the Western Conference this year! Quick, make a diversion!
A..."diversion"? From what? Because I'm worried that the GED brain-trust at hfboards are going to jump all over my team?

My team is playing poorly right now, which is really frustrating, but I'm a hockey fan first, Canucks fan 2nd.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Vic Vinegar

If you're just asking a question, maybe you shouldn't have phrases like "Drew Doughty's horrible play" in your title.

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:20 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusNaslund19 View Post

Another plus minus guy, How i wish you watch instead of looking at stats.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 06:21 PM
MarkusNaslund19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimMak View Post
If you're just asking a question, maybe you shouldn't have phrases like "Drew Doughty's horrible play" in your title.
Fair enough, but anyone who actually reads the first post will see that I'm not attacking Doughty.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:23 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Lol bro just stop. Goaltendings been bad this season, and Doughty plays the most, his plus minus will be bad. He's been very good if you actually watch.

Hes not getting sheltered minutes, our defense and goal tending have sucked. He's not getting exposed at all.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote