HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Official Off-topic Thread LIV - Spring better come or else!

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Son of Marshmont
Moose Replacement

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
I agree with this.

The thing is, though, the only barrier in the morning is getting out of bed. After work there's a myriad of things that come up....stuck at work, Bruins game, drinks/dinner with friends, needing to grocery shop, etc.
Well, then you gotta get outta bed....which you hate doing.

I suppose this is the stalemate.

In theory, as long as you do 30 minutes of some sort of activity each day, you'll be in decent shape. You add toning with weight work...for most people, 3 days a week is a good place to start, 30 minutes a day....then the other 4 days, just some form of aerobic activity for 30 minutes works fine.

I'm probably telling you things you already know, so I'll stop.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:11 PM
patty59

vCash: 500
Quote:
I agree with this.

The thing is, though, the only barrier in the morning is getting out of bed. After work there's a myriad of things that come up....stuck at work, Bruins game, drinks/dinner with friends, needing to grocery shop, etc.
Ok fine, I will tell you my secret. I set my alarm for 50mins before I want to get up and I hit snooze 5 times.

Drives my wife insane, but it works.

I also have 2 dogs, I started feeding them when I wake in the morning, they are a creature of habit, so they like to be fed at the same time everyday and I swear to god my lab can tell time.

So, set your alarm 50mins early and get 2 dogs. Actually one lab will do. The other good thing about the dog is that if you don't exercise them they'll drive you crazy, so there's extra motivation.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:14 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmont Flavor View Post
No judgement here.

I need one myself. I washed the one I had a few weeks ago (when I say washed, I mean put it in the washing machine like a nitwit) and it predictably is falling apart.

I have sport duffel bags, but those are like, carry-on size and too big to just pack a change of clothes, shoes and toiletries.
I go to the gym before work, so I need work shoes, clothes and a towel, plus the toiletries, so a sports duffel works just great for me. Doesn't fit that great in the lockers at my new gym though...

Old
03-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well, then you gotta get outta bed....which you hate doing.

I suppose this is the stalemate.

In theory, as long as you do 30 minutes of some sort of activity each day, you'll be in decent shape. You add toning with weight work...for most people, 3 days a week is a good place to start, 30 minutes a day....then the other 4 days, just some form of aerobic activity for 30 minutes works fine.

I'm probably telling you things you already know, so I'll stop.
No, it's definitely appreciated. I'm getting back on the horse after (too much) time away. We used to have a fitness thread on this board that was helpful. Lots of people with good experiences/insight/tips. If nothing else, was good for motivation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
Ok fine, I will tell you my secret. I set my alarm for 50mins before I want to get up and I hit snooze 5 times.

Drives my wife insane, but it works.

I also have 2 dogs, I started feeding them when I wake in the morning, they are a creature of habit, so they like to be fed at the same time everyday and I swear to god my lab can tell time.

So, set your alarm 50mins early and get 2 dogs. Actually one lab will do. The other good thing about the dog is that if you don't exercise them they'll drive you crazy, so there's extra motivation.
Ha! I do that now.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:18 PM
BMC
#BostonStrong

Quote:
If I could have one wish, other than being the type of person that is in naturally great shape and didn't need to work out, it would be to become a morning person. I would LOVE to work out and get it out of the way in the morning, but I HATE waking up.
I hear you. Oh man do I hear you. It takes me forfreakingever to get up in the morning. And even then I'm not fit to be around until I've had my breakfast and shower.

At one point I was getting up early to go to the gym. I did well for a long time. Then I re-injured my back and that was the end of that. I haven't been back even though I've been OK for a long time.

What I really need is a workout buddy, someone to be accountable to.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
What the hell is wrong with grunting at the gym? Some people do it when they exert.

It's a gym, not a photo shoot.
Totally agree. When I was lifting heavy (usually squats or cleans), you can damn sure bet I was grunting. Not I'm just trying to work on my "beach muscles", so I don't need to grunt. I make some damned funny faces when I lift though.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Son of Marshmont
Moose Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
I hear you. Oh man do I hear you. It takes me forfreakingever to get up in the morning. And even then I'm not fit to be around until I've had my breakfast and shower.

At one point I was getting up early to go to the gym. I did well for a long time. Then I re-injured my back and that was the end of that. I haven't been back even though I've been OK for a long time.

This times a mil. Especially when you're first starting out and the motivation is perhaps an issue. It's why people hire personal trainers....but when you have a friend, it's more fun, and well..cheaper.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:26 PM
BMC
#BostonStrong

Quote:
This times a mil. Especially when you're first starting out and the motivation is perhaps an issue. It's why people hire personal trainers....but when you have a friend, it's more fun, and well..cheaper.
I can't afford a personal trainer. And all my friends live far away so...I'm ****ed

Old
03-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Son of Marshmont
Moose Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
Totally agree. When I was lifting heavy (usually squats or cleans), you can damn sure bet I was grunting. Not I'm just trying to work on my "beach muscles", so I don't need to grunt. I make some damned funny faces when I lift though.
I do admit though, I hate the mirrors. I know what I look like when I work out. My face gets ridiculously, comically red (so does my brother's, it's gotta be some weird genetic thing).

It's a good thing I didn't meet my wife at the gym. I'd still be looking.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Kovi

Quote:
I can't afford a personal trainer. And all my friends live far away so...I'm ****ed
I do correspondence for the Curves I've worked at for 10 years....so writing miss you cards, making "come back" phone calls. Its so difficult once you are out of the swing. and a little fear too about getting reinjured.

I wish I knew the trick.

I'm glad your back is beter

Old
03-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Neely08

Quote:

Best thing I ever did was befriend a bunch of body builders at the gym. Anytime I wanted to isolate something, or find a new way to challenge a muscle group, those are the guys to ask. After a while I started working out w/ them. Those guys push you, man.

But, they also do things non-bodybuilders shouldn't do. To be frank, they do things even they shouldn't do.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:32 PM
BMC
#BostonStrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
I do correspondence for the Curves I've worked at for 10 years....so writing miss you cards, making "come back" phone calls. Its so difficult once you are out of the swing. and a little fear too about getting reinjured.

I wish I knew the trick.

I'm glad your back is beter
I have gotten some miss you cards from the one I go to, feel like a **** for not going back. And yeah I've got some fear of re-injuring my back. I had to have PT on it for the first time in 15 years, plus as I get older I don't heal as quickly.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Son of Marshmont
Moose Replacement

Quote:
You and Kate can skype workout!

Problem solved?

Like I was telling her...just 30 minutes a day of something. A resistance band, at home, can make a difference. There's things you can do while sitting at home watching TV to help get a kickstart.

I'm far from a fitness guru...just happen to have great trainers and coaches growing up who gave lots of great advice, and a couple friends now that are trainers.

God, in fact, edging closer to 40, it's harder to stay healthy than it was 15 years ago, believe me. I know I have a knee replacement coming soon and I know I'll have to figure out how to deal with that. Ever evolving process, taking care of these things.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:34 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
No, it's definitely appreciated. I'm getting back on the horse after (too much) time away. We used to have a fitness thread on this board that was helpful. Lots of people with good experiences/insight/tips. If nothing else, was good for motivation.

Ha! I do that now.
And that's why your tired all the time. The constant waking and falling back to sleep only to wake up 10 minutes later makes you feel far worse than if you just got up and started your day. You're better off just setting the alarm for when you need to get up and not playing the snooze button game.

This story was just on the news the other day: http://www1.whdh.com/features/articl...eport/DBM1252/

And Health had this story about it as well recently:
http://www1.whdh.com/features/articl...eport/DBM1252/

Old
03-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Kovi

Quote:
I have gotten some miss you cards from the one I go to, feel like a **** for not going back. And yeah I've got some fear of re-injuring my back. I had to have PT on it for the first time in 15 years, plus as I get older I don't heal as quickly.
I wish I knew a better way to write it than..."Spring is here, its a perfect time to recommit". its so hard.

such a mental game. I want to provide inspiration, but I think I miss the mark a lot of the time.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:28 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Billy Madison- One of the first movies I remember seeing at the drive ins as a kid and one of the most quotable movies ever.

Genius

03-26-2013, 06:39 PM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Billy Madison- One of the first movies I remember seeing at the drive ins as a kid and one of the most quotable movies ever.

Genius
That is correct

Old
03-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

This has been one of the longest suckiest days I have had in awhile

Old
03-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Kovi

I jut realized i'm not working on trade deadline day. I thought I was.

oh hooray!

Old
03-26-2013, 08:08 PM
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
kovi, most of us aren't working that day

most of us are at work, don't get me wrong, but i'd hardly call the output we create on that day to be worthy of the title "work"

Old
03-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Nose Face Killah
It's Tuukka Time

Changed my username from GJD to this one. What am I doing with my life?

Old
03-26-2013, 09:06 PM
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»

i'm assuming we've all seen the mr. burns level hilarity here:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/a...ngton-florida/

not that i am 100% in agreement with en masse development, i thought that the following quotes were particularly telling

"With the circus atmosphere that’s being promoted, I think we’ve lost a certain amount of high-class dignity,” said Michael Whitlow, a board member of the Wellington Equestrian Preservation Alliance, a group set up by the Jacobs family to support their interests. “I would like to see Wellington be the elite of the elites. The absolutely crème de la crème, the top of the top, as opposed to something for everybody.”

just remember kids, support your local oligarch, they've got your back

Old
03-27-2013, 08:27 AM
Kovi

Ok? where did everyone go?

did I miss a party invite?

Old
03-27-2013, 08:33 AM
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»

i sent out invites to coordinates 90S, 0W along with a prize of a pot of gold, guarded by penguins

we're all alone

Old
03-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Son of Marshmont
Moose Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
i sent out invites to coordinates 90S, 0W along with a prize of a pot of gold, guarded by penguins

we're all alone

I think I'm just mostly amused that Boz Scaggs is subtitled and apparently singing in sub-zero temps during this performance.

After fending off the guard-penguins, this is errand-running day for me before heading into town for the game.

Closed Thread