HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Official Off-topic Thread LIV - Spring better come or else!

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey

vCash: 500
So let me ask you this.....

you ask a girl to the Prom. Shes a great girl, pretty and you are all set.

That weekend you meet her twice as pretty cousin, who isnt as nice a person, but shes very pretty.

Do you dump the first girl and make her feel like crap, and go with the cousin?

you already promised her

Old
03-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post

That weekend you meet her twice as pretty cousin, who isnt as nice a person, but shes very pretty.

you already promised her
Would I? No.

Would a boy of prom-going age? Absolutely.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:19 AM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
Quote:

you already promised her
It's hard not to answer this as a 38 year old man and not a 17 year old boy.

Can I get just one clarifying question?

If by "not as nice a person" do you mean she's kinda flat personality wise, or is she just plain mean and repugnant?

Old
03-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
On the topics of teenagers.. Having a brother who is 20 and having a pregnant wife who watches waaay too much teen mom/16 and pregnant, it amazes me how much teens care/ruin their lived just because of what their friends think.

If I ever heard "but, but, my friends" from my teen child I will lose it and go on a rant about how you replace most of your friends every 7 years and most likely won't be friends with the people you know in high school.

Maybe I always enjoyed my somewhat free agent status in terms of groups of friends. Never had anyone guilting me into doing something. Went through 3 groups of friends in college, finally found a group of friends who are fun to hang out with, but were totally cool with ditching each other to hang out with the gf.. and now mainly fiancees and wives.

Last edited by Morris Wanchuk: 03-29-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old
03-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
On the topics of teenagers.. Having a brother who is 20 and having a pregnant wife who watches waaay too much teen mom/16 and pregnant, it amazes me how much teens care/ruin their lived just because of what their friends think.

If I ever heard "but, but, my friends" from my teen child I will lose it and go on a rant about how you replace most of your friends every 7 years and most likely won't be friends with the people you know in high school.

Maybe I always enjoyed my somewhat free agent status in terms of groups of friends. Never had anyone guilting me into doing something. Went through 3 groups of friends in college, finally found a group of friends who are fun to hang out with, but were totally cool with ditching each other to hang out with the gf.. and now mainly fiancees and wives.
To be fair, "teen mom" and "16 and pregnant" isn't the most representative of american's teenager. If so, we're all screwed.

Some kids are introverts, some are extroverts. My two sons are polar opposites like that. The 16 year old is an introvert, certainly likes his friends but doesn't seem to need their validation a whole lot. The 13 year old is all about his friends, has to be with them at every opportunity, wants to wear the same kind of shoes, ect.

To wrench that, the 13 year old is much more motivated and the better student. Things come pretty easily for him. Whereas the 16 year old, while not unintelligent and making decent grades, takes some real effort to concentrate and dedicate to a project.

I think my point is, we have to parent them in two completely different ways.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmont Flavor View Post
To be fair, "teen mom" and "16 and pregnant" isn't the most representative of american's teenager. If so, we're all screwed.

Some kids are introverts, some are extroverts. My two sons are polar opposites like that. The 16 year old is an introvert, certainly likes his friends but doesn't seem to need their validation a whole lot. The 13 year old is all about his friends, has to be with them at every opportunity, wants to wear the same kind of shoes, ect.

To wrench that, the 13 year old is much more motivated and the better student. Things come pretty easily for him. Whereas the 16 year old, while not unintelligent and making decent grades, takes some real effort to concentrate and dedicate to a project.

Yea I am not basing it all on MTV shows.. but it does kind of reinforce stuff my brother has gone through. That idiotic bros before whatever mentality. he seems to have grown out of it, but I still think him an his guy friends text eachother way to much for heterosexual people.

Old
03-29-2013, 08:58 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Would I? No.

Would a boy of prom-going age? Absolutely.
Kate you nailed it.

In a perfect world this boy's parents would have explained to him the importance of keeping your word. Unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Can I ask where this is coming from, Kovi? And is it really a question about a prom, or is it a metaphor?

Old
03-29-2013, 09:01 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:

I'm an introvert and can totally relate to your elder son.

I found being an "outsider" very freeing- I didn't have to kiss anyone's ass or suck up to anybody. My friends were my friends but they didn't dictate my every thought or action. I could never understand those kids who were so dependent on their peers that way.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Kate you nailed it.

In a perfect world this boy's parents would have explained to him the importance of keeping your word. Unfortunately we do not live in a perfect world.

True.

I can say that my mother would've kicked my dumb ass had I ever done something like that, and I'd do the same of either of my kids did.

At 17, I know I had friends who would do something like that. I admit I'd have thought twice and try to figure out some way to make it happen without upsetting the cart. Seeing as how they're cousins, though, I think I'd assume that I couldn't get away with it, especially if the prettier cousin is an unpleasant person like I asked.

I like an attractive woman, but, even as a 17 year old, I wanted to have fun too and not spend time with someone who was a miserable wench. Prom wasnt cheap.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

Quote:
Yea I am not basing it all on MTV shows.. but it does kind of reinforce stuff my brother has gone through. That idiotic bros before whatever mentality. he seems to have grown out of it, but I still think him an his guy friends text eachother way to much for heterosexual people.
That's because kids in the teens and early 20's grow up with electronic devices everywhere. They can't get their faces peeled away from the screen.

My sister in law got her 6 year old one of the iPods that has wifi. I'm like "really? He needs access to YouTube?" I mean, he watches spongebob videos and they can use the adult content restricter but geez, no 6 year old needs access to wifi.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Used to go to a lot of Monarch games b/c they're not too far from me. Have to start going again, at least when they play the wannab's.

DiPietro isn't poor, that's for sure.
Not monetarily, certainly. But I'd be willing to bet he'd trade a good chunk of that cash for good health and a viable NHL career.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:18 AM
Gee Wally
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

you already promised her
You do the right thing. Stick with the girl you have already asked.

Then if you have any brains and she is as you say.....you stay with her.

I have for 35 years and can attest to it being a solid decision.

Looks/ pfffffft.

1 - eye of the beholder.

2 - they dont last. For anybody. I can attest to that too.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Old
03-29-2013, 09:18 AM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

Quote:
I'm an introvert and can totally relate to your elder son.

I found being an "outsider" very freeing- I didn't have to kiss anyone's ass or suck up to anybody. My friends were my friends but they didn't dictate my every thought or action. I could never understand those kids who were so dependent on their peers that way.
It's an interesting study in opposites. My eldest doesn't ask for help or to spend a ton of time with us, but he's probably the one who needs it more. I worry about him sometimes and how he'll do "out in the big world" but then I chill and realize I've got a few years yet. The youngest has a lot of the tools to be pretty independent, but he's a total mama's boy and always has to be around someone. My biggest worry about him is his complete lack of filter and his mouth getting him into trouble.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:32 AM
brom7

Quote:
That's because kids in the teens and early 20's grow up with electronic devices everywhere. They can't get their faces peeled away from the screen.

My sister in law got her 6 year old one of the iPods that has wifi. I'm like "really? He needs access to YouTube?" I mean, he watches spongebob videos and they can use the adult content restricter but geez, no 6 year old needs access to wifi.
Hey MF, was just kind of reading to catch up on things and ran through this. As much as I agree with your last sentence I have to say that when you're that young it is very easy to want things around you. When everyone else's parents are buying their kids stuff like that and they're using it around you, you're going to want it too. Especially when you're watching Spongebob on your Ipod and all of a sudden you're the center of attention.

Then, if you're the child, you're going to want it, not only to fit in, but because it's what everyone else is doing and you don't want to be out of the loop, and I've figured out a lot about the loop. I'm 20 and in college.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:41 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Good to see the Falcons finally doing well. I think I went to every game during their run in 1997. Some Red Rose pizza before, playing the shooting game between periods, staring down other teams in their hockey jackets.

Oh memories

Old
03-29-2013, 09:47 AM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by brom7 View Post
Hey MF, was just kind of reading to catch up on things and ran through this. As much as I agree with your last sentence I have to say that when you're that young it is very easy to want things around you. When everyone else's parents are buying their kids stuff like that and they're using it around you, you're going to want it too. Especially when you're watching Spongebob on your Ipod and all of a sudden you're the center of attention.

Then, if you're the child, you're going to want it, not only to fit in, but because it's what everyone else is doing and you don't want to be out of the loop, and I've figured out a lot about the loop. I'm 20 and in college.
My friend got nice new golf clubs and now, even though my set is only a couple years old and are fine, I'm all about "I want I want."

The delicate balance comes in how I provide the things my kids want (or give them the opportunity for them to figure out how to get what they want) without opening the door to it becoming a hinderance to them.

Some of that's about letting go and trusting them to make the right decision in dealing with life's pitfalls. It's the right thing to do.....still hard for me. Always will be, I guess.

Funny story about the six year old...we were at a family birthday party Saturday night. He's a generally shy kid, but at some point he comes out into the living room, puts his hand on his hip and announces to all of us "I'm ready for the party." I almost died. My wife turns to her sister and says "nice. You're raising Snooki." It was then when my sister in law checked to make sure the content restricter settings were set on the iPod.

Old
03-29-2013, 09:52 AM
deliciouspie
the best post

Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
dear c-levels: telling a contributing employee "i'm impressed that you have seemingly infinite bandwidth!" is not the compliment you think it is, it's an indicator that you aren't managing heads and workload correctly

i am not a horse, i don't need to be petted and given a bag of oats, i need more people and a vacation

Old
03-29-2013, 10:10 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
It's an interesting study in opposites. My eldest doesn't ask for help or to spend a ton of time with us, but he's probably the one who needs it more. I worry about him sometimes and how he'll do "out in the big world" but then I chill and realize I've got a few years yet. The youngest has a lot of the tools to be pretty independent, but he's a total mama's boy and always has to be around someone. My biggest worry about him is his complete lack of filter and his mouth getting him into trouble.
Oh he's an introvert all right

I still have trouble asking for help and still struggle with spending a lot of time w/others because I can get overwhelmed & feel like they're sucking all the oxygen out of the room.

If you want to read up on introverts go to theatlantic.com and type in introvert, there is an incredible article about us. Might help you understand your son a little better.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliciouspie View Post
dear c-levels: telling a contributing employee "i'm impressed that you have seemingly infinite bandwidth!" is not the compliment you think it is, it's an indicator that you aren't managing heads and workload correctly

i am not a horse, i don't need to be petted and given a bag of oats, i need more people and a vacation
More with Less! More with Less! its the corporate rallying cry post recession.

The company I work for is doing better now than ever, but still has not replaced many positions they lost in 2008.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:15 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:

you already promised her
Never. I take the first girl and make her feel like a queen!

Old
03-29-2013, 10:18 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I hate when I get he lunch shakedown from some of these ladies that like to sit at their desk all day, and have lunch delivered or brought to them so they can surf the net the whole time...

She's been asking for an hour, what are you doing, where you going...So finally she said "You know where you're going, you just don't want to pick any up for anyone".... I said, "The only thing I know for certain about lunch today is I won't be picking yours up"... Go burn a ****ing calorie or two first crying out loud.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Good to see the Falcons finally doing well. I think I went to every game during their run in 1997. Some Red Rose pizza before, playing the shooting game between periods, staring down other teams in their hockey jackets.

Oh memories
They've got a hell of a team this year. They just keep plugging in new parts and rolling along. The kid who scored the winning goal was playing in his first pro game.

We used to go to Red Rose quite a bit. Haven't been there in ages, but we order pizza from there at work now and then.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:34 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I hate when I get he lunch shakedown from some of these ladies that like to sit at their desk all day, and have lunch delivered or brought to them so they can surf the net the whole time...

She's been asking for an hour, what are you doing, where you going...So finally she said "You know where you're going, you just don't want to pick any up for anyone".... I said, "The only thing I know for certain about lunch today is I won't be picking yours up"... Go burn a ****ing calorie or two first crying out loud.
I love how it's suddenly your responsibility to pick up their lunch because they're too lazy to get off their ***** and get it themselves.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:53 AM
brom7

Quote:
Oh he's an introvert all right

I still have trouble asking for help and still struggle with spending a lot of time w/others because I can get overwhelmed & feel like they're sucking all the oxygen out of the room.

If you want to read up on introverts go to theatlantic.com and type in introvert, there is an incredible article about us. Might help you understand your son a little better.
Cool, just found out I'm an introvert haha.

Thanks for the info. Kind of cool to read about myself like that.

Closed Thread