HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2013, 08:44 PM
  #1
NHL Dude 120
Registered User
 
NHL Dude 120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Ethiopia
Posts: 685
vCash: 188
Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Seeing as how i have yet to find a thread about Canada's 2013 World Championship roster I though I'd try to make one

Forwards
Benn
Tavaras
Stamkos
Giroux
Nash
B.Schenn
Couturier
Hall
Eberle
O'Riely
Duchane
Troy Brouwer

Defense
Shea Webber
Dan Girardi
Michael Del Zotto
Kevin Klein
Karl Alzner
J.Schultz
Tyler Myers

Goalies
Mike Smith
JS Gigure

+Good Forwards
+ Average Defense
- My God that goalie Tandem

Feel Free to make your roster predictions the only rule is that any player substitute must not be in a playoff position.

NHL Dude 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2013, 08:55 PM
  #2
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country
 
Systemfel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,731
vCash: 500
That's not a bad goalie tandem at the WC level.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 05:26 AM
  #3
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo
 
TheFatOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,630
vCash: 500
Jay Bouwmeester - Brian Campbell
Justin Schultz - Travis Hamonic
Kevin Klein - Karl Alzner



Jonathan Huberdeau - Ryan O'Reilly - Matt Duchene
Jamie Benn - Brayden Schenn - Claude Giroux
Taylor Hall - Ryan Nugent Hopkins - Jordan Eberle
Wayne Simmonds - Cody Eakin - Joel Ward (mod)


Something like that. Have a hard time seeing Iginla, Tavares, Stamkos, St.Louis etc wanna play in WCH.


Last edited by joe89: 03-20-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: mod: offensive
TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:28 AM
  #4
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Jay Bouwmeester - Brian Campbell
Justin Schultz - Travis Hamonic
Kevin Klein - Karl Alzner



Jonathan Huberdeau - Ryan O'Reilly - Matt Duchene
Jamie Benn - Brayden Schenn - Claude Giroux
Taylor Hall - Ryan Nugent Hopkins - Jordan Eberle
Wayne Simmonds - Cody Eakin - Joel Ward


Something like that. Have a hard time seeing Iginla, Tavares, Stamkos, St.Louis etc wanna play in WCH.
While I agree with you I'd much prefer Johhny T getting his first taste of action in the Stanley Cup playoffs which would be ultimately 100x more more beneficial to his development than any 2 rate WHC tournament for the 4th time) but his shown tremendous loyalty to the program and with Olympic spots on the line, he'd be foolish to skip. He's only out would be Stanley Cup POs or injury.

Here's a 22 man C Team roster that would contend for a medal. Defense is a little suspect outside of Weber, but if Holtby comes through with some solid goaltending, then a medal should be expected out of that group...just like last year until Getzlaf's brain cramp in the 1/4.

A TANGUAY S STAMKOS M ST. LOUIS
M DUCHENE C GIROUX T PURCELL
T HALL J TAVARES J EBERLE
A HENRIQUE R O’REILLY M READ

13TH FOWARD
J BENN/W SIMMONDS

J BOUWMEESTER S WEBER
M.A. BERGERON D WIDERMAN
B COBURN K ALZNER
J SCHULTZ

GOAL
B HOLTBY
M SMITH


Last edited by joe89: 03-20-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 09:40 AM
  #5
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo
 
TheFatOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,630
vCash: 500
M.a. Bergeron?


Last edited by joe89: 03-20-2013 at 12:13 PM.
TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 10:34 AM
  #6
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
M.A. BERGERON?
It's a better veteran option at this point then your suggestion, Justin Schultz and his 20 games of NHL experience and Harmonic. I'd take my option over yours. He was having a decent year last year until a back injury sidelined him and he missed the beginning of the year and is just getting back in form... He's not elite but again, rookies and d-men with limited experience is not a recipe for success if you have them in your top 4.

your first line? Huberdeau (another rookie) O'Reily (ideally a 3rd line center and Duchene (mostly a center but plays on left wing if he plays wing at all.) That's your first line option? You need to do a whole lot more research.

.


Last edited by joe89: 03-20-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:08 PM
  #7
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,538
vCash: 500
Stick to discussing the players and not each other, please.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:25 PM
  #8
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,890
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
I could see Turris playing for Canada

OmniSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 01:45 PM
  #9
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens View Post
I could see Turris playing for Canada
Not possible since we are only selecting players not currently in NHL Play-offs, therefore would not be available to play. And if the Sens should happen to miss the playoffs, I'd have to say no to Turris as better centers are available.

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 02:11 PM
  #10
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Everyone not in the playoffs as of today is forced to accept:

Hall Stamkos St. Louis
Duchene Tavares Eberle
Benn Giroux Schenn
Zajac O'Reilly Clarkson
Moulson

Bouwmeester Weber
Campbell Weaver
Coburn Schultz
Ellis

Smith
Dubnyk
Holtby

As usual, good forwards and poor defence at this level. Goaltending is mediocre. Forwards have elite talent, pretty strong all around. Defence looks to have balanced pairs, and it would be fun to see Ellis again. I honestly have a hard time seeing any of these guys turn down spots if offered given the impending Olympics and the short season. That said, I'm likely wrong and plenty will say no.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:50 PM
  #11
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Everyone not in the playoffs as of today is forced to accept:

Hall Stamkos St. Louis
Duchene Tavares Eberle
Benn Giroux Schenn
Zajac O'Reilly Clarkson
Moulson

Bouwmeester Weber
Campbell Weaver
Coburn Schultz
Ellis

Smith
Dubnyk
Holtby

As usual, good forwards and poor defence at this level. Goaltending is mediocre. Forwards have elite talent, pretty strong all around. Defence looks to have balanced pairs, and it would be fun to see Ellis again. I honestly have a hard time seeing any of these guys turn down spots if offered given the impending Olympics and the short season. That said, I'm likely wrong and plenty will say no.

i can live with that team... who is the d-man Weaver? I'm thinking is this some new NCAA hotshot I haven't heard of...This guy has kept a low profile his entire career.

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 06:40 PM
  #12
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
i can live with that team... who is the d-man Weaver? I'm thinking is this some new NCAA hotshot I haven't heard of...This guy has kept a low profile his entire career.
Mike Weaver is there as a defensive specialist who can skate very well. Playing on Florida with Campbell doesn't hurt either. I strongly considered Alzner, but I favoured Weaver's ability to play well with Campbell and I have been pretty unimpressed in my viewings of Alzner this year.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 07:40 PM
  #13
LeHabsMan
Registered User
 
LeHabsMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Laval
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,816
vCash: 500
Huberdeau-Stamkos-St.Louis
Moulson-Tavares-Giroux
Hall-Duchene-Eberle
Benn-O'Rielly-Clarkson
Simmonds/Zajac

Bouwmeester-Weber
Coburn-Campbell
Alzner-Schultz
Hamonic/Klein

Smith
Dubnyk

Pretty good team. I like the idea of bringing players like Huberdeau and Schultz along to play a major role. They showed this year that they can play at a high level.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 11:59 PM
  #14
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Everyone not in the playoffs as of today is forced
Is that new from HC this year?

Isn't forcing kind of poor man management approach..

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:08 AM
  #15
NHL Dude 120
Registered User
 
NHL Dude 120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Ethiopia
Posts: 685
vCash: 188
Olympics on the line

Frankly if there's a year where players should participate its this year, Doughty got himself known to the Team Canada brass and it would have been hard to imagine him not making the Olympic team without playing in the worlds.

HC needs to make it known that participation in this year's tournament will play a role in whether your in the running to make the Olympic squad. If your injured then you have to show proof to HC. Honestly i'm surprised i haven't seen Don cherry blasting players for not playing for their nation ( i know NA doesn't treat it seriously) but yeah still a surprise.

Any Ideas for the management I was thinking
GM: Steve Yzerman
Head Coach: Lindy Ruff
Assistant Coach: Paul Maurice
Assistant Coach: Brandon Sutter

If (I'm a Sens Homer) the Sens don't advance it would be cool if Paul McLean would be part of the coaching staff.

NHL Dude 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:43 AM
  #16
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Dude 120 View Post
Frankly if there's a year where players should participate its this year, Doughty got himself known to the Team Canada brass and it would have been hard to imagine him not making the Olympic team without playing in the worlds.

HC needs to make it known that participation in this year's tournament will play a role in whether your in the running to make the Olympic squad. If your injured then you have to show proof to HC. Honestly i'm surprised i haven't seen Don cherry blasting players for not playing for their nation ( i know NA doesn't treat it seriously) but yeah still a surprise.

Any Ideas for the management I was thinking
GM: Steve Yzerman
Head Coach: Lindy Ruff
Assistant Coach: Paul Maurice
Assistant Coach: Brandon Sutter

If (I'm a Sens Homer) the Sens don't advance it would be cool if Paul McLean would be part of the coaching staff.
No, the management team for the WHC was put in place well over a year ago and it includes Kevin Lowe and Dave Nonis along with Doug Armstrong and a few other Hockey Canada people...they report to Steve Yzerman. HC linked the two, the WHC team and the Olympic team with hopes of fewer players rejecting invitations to the WHC when there are obvious Olympic considerations up for discussion. Last year was the first year of this so called link and they sent a young, but a good team that should have played for a medal. They were well on their way and looking good to do just that until an unfortunate Getzlaf brain cramp in the 1/4 final. This year I doubt they get very few refusals. (or at least that's my hope)

As for Head Coach. I'm betting the Tampa Bay coach gets the nod. It's safe to say the bolts are not making the POs this year and I think a Head Coach will be named well in advance to give him some time to think about possible rosters. And from the lists we are putting up there are some good rosters that can be assembled so long as players for once have an inclination to play....If I were HC, that's exactly what I would do...plus I'd use the full 25 player roster by flying in a few names (particurally on defense) once the first rd. of the POs are done. i.e. if St. Louis is eliminated, then Pietroangelo is brought in. Hockey Canada has refused in years past to use the 25 player roster.


Last edited by Mr Writer: 03-21-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:45 AM
  #17
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Is that new from HC this year?

Isn't forcing kind of poor man management approach..
Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything... completely voluntary as always. Jack was speaking hypothetically.

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:12 AM
  #18
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Is that new from HC this year?

Isn't forcing kind of poor man management approach..
No, I just said that so that I could pick everyone available without considering who may or may not accept.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 12:39 AM
  #19
NHL Dude 120
Registered User
 
NHL Dude 120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Ethiopia
Posts: 685
vCash: 188
Management.

Forgot about the management ah well, but i think Lindy Ruff should be part of the coaching staff. And Yes they need to be assertive getting players to play. Imagine Russia's team( dont want to imagine) how good they'll be.

NHL Dude 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 02:14 AM
  #20
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
I want to see Canada Russia just to see where things stand before Olympics.

It feels like Russia never really got tested 100% last year since they didn't face any teams from NA.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 04:34 AM
  #21
Gigantor The Goalie
Registered User
 
Gigantor The Goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New London
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,564
vCash: 500
Just adding a little bit of information here. Do NOT put Duchene on the wing. You put him on the wing your just asking for a disaster. This bounce back season of his is because he is no longer playing on the wing. He's a centerman that is one of, if the not, fastest in the Western Conference. Just saying when your doing your mock lines, Duchene on the wing is a no go.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 06:14 AM
  #22
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Mike Weaver is there as a defensive specialist who can skate very well. Playing on Florida with Campbell doesn't hurt either. I strongly considered Alzner, but I favoured Weaver's ability to play well with Campbell and I have been pretty unimpressed in my viewings of Alzner this year.
R NASH S STAMKOS M ST. LOUIS
J BENN M DUCHENE C GIROUX
T HALL J TAVARES J EBERLE
D BRASSARD R O’REILLY M READ

W SIMMONDS C CONACHER

M STAAL S WEBER
M DEL ZOTTO D GIRARDI
J BOUWMEESTER K ALZNER
B COBURN J SCHULTZ

B HOLTBY
M SMITH

Given that at the top end of the conference teams will not fall out at this point, the only flip/flops will come at the number 8 spot and since as of this morning NY Rangers are out, here's a revised lineup as of today. Top 4 d-men, what are the pairing, MDZ w/Weber and Staal w/Girardi? Do you even see Giriadi being effective on big ice? Or do you still think Weaver is the better option? Plus am hoping San Jose drops out and there will take Coutour moving Benn out (not sold on that guy yet.. especially not on big ice) plus I'd take Boyle and Burns dropping Coburn and Alzner. But please please, no Jumbo Joe or Marleau.

Granted M. Staal has to fully recover from that injury and he's up to playing. Any word on his recovery? I haven't heard nada.


Last edited by Mr Writer: 03-22-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 03:23 PM
  #23
JackSlater
Registered User
 
JackSlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Just adding a little bit of information here. Do NOT put Duchene on the wing. You put him on the wing your just asking for a disaster. This bounce back season of his is because he is no longer playing on the wing. He's a centerman that is one of, if the not, fastest in the Western Conference. Just saying when your doing your mock lines, Duchene on the wing is a no go.
Duchene was pretty good for Canada at this tournament on the wing as an 18 year old. He deserves a shot at wing with forwards of this quality before being ruled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
R NASH S STAMKOS M ST. LOUIS
J BENN M DUCHENE C GIROUX
T HALL J TAVARES J EBERLE
D BRASSARD R O’REILLY M READ

W SIMMONDS C CONACHER

M STAAL S WEBER
M DEL ZOTTO D GIRARDI
J BOUWMEESTER K ALZNER
B COBURN J SCHULTZ

B HOLTBY
M SMITH

Given that at the top end of the conference teams will not fall out at this point, the only flip/flops will come at the number 8 spot and since as of this morning NY Rangers are out, here's a revised lineup as of today. Top 4 d-men, what are the pairing, MDZ w/Weber and Staal w/Girardi? Do you even see Giriadi being effective on big ice? Or do you still think Weaver is the better option? Plus am hoping San Jose drops out and there will take Coutour moving Benn out (not sold on that guy yet.. especially not on big ice) plus I'd take Boyle and Burns dropping Coburn and Alzner. But please please, no Jumbo Joe or Marleau.

Granted M. Staal has to fully recover from that injury and he's up to playing. Any word on his recovery? I haven't heard nada.
I'm skeptical about Girardi on big ice given his style of play and lack of experience, but you never know. I would be willing to give him a shot at this tournament anyway. Why did you pick Brassard? I never expected to see him. If you want to convert a young centre to wing for the fourth line, why not Hodgson?

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2013, 05:59 PM
  #24
True Hockey Fan
Registered User
 
True Hockey Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Duchene was pretty good for Canada at this tournament on the wing as an 18 year old. He deserves a shot at wing with forwards of this quality before being ruled out.



I'm skeptical about Girardi on big ice given his style of play and lack of experience, but you never know. I would be willing to give him a shot at this tournament anyway. Why did you pick Brassard? I never expected to see him. If you want to convert a young centre to wing for the fourth line, why not Hodgson?
Remember Methot on team canada ? Girardi looks like Paul Kariya compared to him


BTW, Clarkson will be on the WHC roster this year, if his team is out.

True Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 06:04 AM
  #25
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Duchene was pretty good for Canada at this tournament on the wing as an 18 year old. He deserves a shot at wing with forwards of this quality before being ruled out.



I'm skeptical about Girardi on big ice given his style of play and lack of experience, but you never know. I would be willing to give him a shot at this tournament anyway. Why did you pick Brassard? I never expected to see him. If you want to convert a young centre to wing for the fourth line, why not Hodgson?
Just spitballing...I had in an earlier line-up w/ Hodgson but the past few games I've seen of him plus Buffalo (such a disappointing non-competitive team) and after thinking about it, makes sense to take similar like players that are at least playing competitively. And I admit I haven't seen one CBJ game yet the season. but I think he and Hodgson are interchangeable on a 4th line limited minutes kind of role. Isn't Brassard a much better skater?

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.